Old 10-15-2001, 09:29 AM   #1  

Default I'm Lost re starting on Low Carb

Hi All,

I'm reading some of the threads here and I know you are a friendly, helpful bunch! So I thought I'd ask if anyone can help with a few tips or guidelines.

I'm sure I'm not the first to say that the concept of high protein seems foreign. Everything I love seems to be off limits during the early stages of this kind of diet (fruit, veggies, aspertame-sweetened yogurt, bread), I guess you have all gone through that adjustment.

Nevertheless I am very keen to do something about this weight. So, can anyone give me guidelines on what I can and cannot eat for someone just starting today.
From what I read I can eat a cup or so of salad a day, but that's it. Is that right, are there any veggies or fruit I can have more than 20g? What about things like vinegar and other flavorings, what is ok? I had a chunk of chicken with cheese for breakfast. Am I on safe ground if I just stick to protein?
Is there a web site may that outlines the program (I don't have the book)
Appreciate any help you can give...
Hugs, Jenn
Old 10-15-2001, 09:50 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi Jenn and welcome

From what you say, you are thinking Atkins. I strongly suggest you get the book - borrow it from the Library if you can. Atkins puts you on a 14 day induction plan which is supposed to quell all those cravings. If you are a carb addict this will work. Total carbs per day for the induction period is 20 so you are safe sticking to protein and salad. Drinking water is a must!

http://www.atkinsfriends.com/ is the Atkins website

Another plan is the Heller's one - called CALP or CAD. The books are "Carbohydrate Addict's Diet" or "Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Programme".

There are other low carb plans too. I'm sure the other Chicks can fill you in.

If you do a search on low carbohydrate diets you will find lots of other info.
Old 10-15-2001, 10:57 AM   #3  

Thanks Ruth! Yes, re Atkins, I was reading about it in a magazine on the weekend. It sounded too good to be true, but definitely worth a try. I'll do a search too like you suggest, thanks. I am probably a carb addict, but it's the fruit and veg I think I'll miss most. Go figure!

I was wondering, can you buy Atkins' products in Canada? I live in Waterloo area, where's Delta?

Jenn

Last edited by EasterGoal; 10-15-2001 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:51 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Waving from eastern Ontario. I am about 90 mins southwest of Ottawa and 40 mins north east of Kingston. And about 7 hours from Waterloo!!!!

I don't know about Atkins products in Canada. Quite frankly, you can do Atkins without buying his shakes and stuff. In fact, when on induction you should not be using some of the bars and shakes because they DO have carbs. When I was doing Atkins, I did order some low carb tortillas from the Atkins website - the most expensive tortillas I ever bought and they did have carbs, but not as many as regular tortillas. I think I ended up paying $14.00 for 10 by the time I paid mailing and exchange!

I strongly suggest you try the simple approach for the first two weeks - protein, simple salads or low carb veggies and half your weight in ounces of water. That will put you in ketosis, should stop cravings and you may even lose weight!
Old 10-15-2001, 02:45 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome Jenn!!!!!!!!

You sound like your in the right frame of mind, congrats!
Good luck on the Atkins if thats what you decide to go with.
This is a wild crazy lovable bunch of people here and we will help in any way we can. If you decide that you don't want to do Atkins there is always Low Carb w/Weight Watchers or the Carbohydrates Addicts Diet....(also a book).

Love, Leens
Old 10-15-2001, 03:42 PM   #6  

Hi Easter,
Welcome. I agree that you really do need to get the Atkins book and read the whole thing so that you understand what you're doing. I also think you should get some of the other books - Carbohydrate Addicts and Protein Power (ones I can think of off the top of my head) and read those too, so you can find a plan that fits your lifestyle. I also want to caution you that sometimes you'll hear that the weight comes off super fast and that it's terrible for your kidneys. I do Carbohydrate Addicts Diet and the weight is coming off steadily, but not incredibly fast like some people will claim. As for the kidney thing, (which usually comes up in conjunction with Atkins) I've read both positive and negative reports. I do know that I feel so much better and am much more energetic when I keep the carbs to only my reward meal (a CAD concept). And, I eat lots of vegetables during the day. There are tons that are zero to low carb, so you aren't giving up veggies, contrary to some articles that you will read.
This really is a lifestyle change, not a quick diet. I hope you find one you like!
Chickadee
Old 10-16-2001, 06:22 AM   #7  
Big Loser

Default WELCOME

Welcome to our little group!! Personally (and I may get shot for this) I found Atkins hard to stick to. I am doing CALP, it is easier because of the reward meal. I look forward to that. It can't be a food fest every night but it sure does help to know you can have a piece of bread!!!!!
Old 10-16-2001, 08:56 AM   #8  

Thanks Rachel, Chicadee, Leens and Ruth for the welcome and help!

Well, I bought the Atkins books last night so I'm on my way. I saw some of the others you mention in the used book store, so I might go back for those too.

I guess I was hoping for the really quick results, so this a.m. was disappointed after one day to see no change at all. I sure hope this isn't going to be a trend!

I was on weightwatchers last year and did lose weight, but got into trouble again by not continuing to journal and by sharing my husband's favorite snacks, until I stopped paying attention all together. I think I need to just stay away from everything that is forbidden if I want to keep it off.

Talk to you soon, Jenn
Old 10-16-2001, 12:15 PM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

DRINK DRINK DRINK till you float then drink more. that is water though. at this point do not try to drink the artificial swetned things they will get you in trouble and trigger cravings. if you can get past the first few days then it is much easier from there. post your foods on the meal thread that will help you keep tracrt of you foods. als o make sure that you get enough cals if you go below 1200 then your body can go into starbvation mode and then you will not lose weight. use a food counter like www.fitday.com or you can download a trial version like www.lifeform.com they will be a huge help!! good luck
Old 10-16-2001, 03:29 PM   #10  
Senior Chicky

Default Welcome Easter!!

You've found some wonderful, friendly and supportive chicks here! I hope that you'll also join us on the daily to chit chat over the chicken fence!

I'll bring up some threads which may help you with some LC food/snack ideas.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

J

WE ~ Low Carbers Offer Motivation & Encouragement
(W-E-L-C-O-M-E)

Last edited by MamaJ; 10-16-2001 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2001, 11:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking Never fear, Jenn

I am doing Atkins, and even though I have had to restart induction, the plan is working! All you have to do is get through those first few days of cravings, then they will slowly disappear. My first induction phase netted me a 10 pound weight loss. Most of it was probably water, but it still felt GREAT to step on that scale! I can't speak for the other plans, I haven't tried them yet, but I know that all of us have seen success with this Way Of Eating. Best of luck to you!

Sherrie
Old 10-18-2001, 10:58 AM   #12  
Kathy

Default Day 2

Hi Everyone,

I am on Day 2 of Atkins and am down 2 lbs.

I will share with you what I ate yesterday on Day 1.

Breakfast: egg, 3 sausages
Lunch: grilled chicken, collard greens (SoHo)
Snack: Lemon Cheesecake Nutrition Bar (3 carbs.)
Dinner: Low Carb Drink (5 carbs) - Strawberry Creme

and about 64 oz. of water

I had planned on having salmon steak for dinner, but I was so full from lunch that I just wanted something sweet and the Myoplex drink was good.

I went out last night and bought different bar that had 2 carbs in them to keep at my desk because I am a snacker. The bars are so filling that sometime 1/2 of one is good. Plus I love chicken, fish.

What did you eat on your first day?
Old 10-18-2001, 02:40 PM   #13  
JHP

S/C/G: 351.5/201/136

Height: 5'2"

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to low carbing & 3FC, and congrats on the loss.

Some suggestions: especially on induction try to stay as natural as possible. Really limit, if not eliminate the processed foods (shakes, bars, etc.). Your carbs really need to come from veggies at this point, and some of the low carb products have hidden carbs. If you're not that hungry have something small like an egg, small piece of meat, celery, etc. These are great for snacking too. Check out the "What's in your low carb pantry/fridge thread" for ideas, & remember you can eat anything that's legal at any time. Don't limit yourself based on what certain meals are supposed to be. Chicken makes a great breakfast.
Also, are you drinking enough water? You should drink at least 1/2 your weight in ounces each day (200 lbs = 100 oz), but no less than 64 oz. Of course if you only weigh 128 lbs your're getting kicked outta here (just kidding).
I don't remember what I ate my very first day on Atkins because that was back in June 2000, but since I started reinduction Monday I guess this counts:

B - 2 hard boiled eggs
L - chicken breast
D - chicken breast, salad (lettuce, bacon bits, egg, Ranch dressing)
152 oz water

Good luck!
Jennifer