Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacygee View Post
Girl, I am out of Lane Bryant now! I can shop at regular stores!
If you liked Lane Bryant, you'd probably like NY&Co - their prices are decent and the styles are pretty nice.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #47  
Taste the rainbow

S/C/G: 299/241/175

Height: 5'9

I hate clothes shopping! Even when I was younger. My grandmother would take me to the mall and we'd have to go to the adult section and I always felt so ashamed Now I do everything I can to avoid clothes shopping lol, shopping for clothes consists of me going to walmart and spending 5 dollars on a few tshirts (each) usually :-P I hope when I get down some more I might actually enjoy clothes!
Skittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I shop at Maurices A LOT!!! They have very hip and VERY cute plus size clothing up to size 24.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

I have spent a lot of time looking for stylish plus size work clothes, and I haven't found much!!! It is so annoying. Most plus size stores around here (Lane Bryant, Catherines, etc.) only carry very casual styles, as if big girls don't have professional jobs and careers! I've ordered some stuff online, but it never fits right. I will continue to look, but it is very disappointing to feel so discriminated because of my size.
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #50  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

It's very difficult to get clothes to fit right off the rack for plus sizes. As we get bigger, we don't expand proportionally the same. And it depends on the brand as well. Many seem to be designed for women with skinny arms, short waists and ever-expanding breasts. And I don't sport any of those features!

I know it's more expensive, but try to find something that you like that's just a little bigger and have it tailored by a professional. Look for clothes with simpler seams. Jeans are a pain to tailor because of flat-felled seams (double stitching), pocket placement and rivets. Slacks with side pockets are easy to tailor, as are most skirts. Dresses and tops without collars can be tailored nicely. Jackets are a little more work, depending on how they're cut and what sort of pockets are on them.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #51  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

I have the biggest issue with plus-sized tops.. they all seem to be cut super short and square, or ridiculously long! I mean, it's not like I want to be wearing crop tops (good lord), but I also don't want shirts to double as dresses.

I've even shopped in the petite department sometimes to get something the right length.. and nothing about my body is petite, let me tell you

OH, another thing I hate (especially for the plus-sized clothes designed for younger women) shirts/dresses with skinny straps, normally done in a way that makes wearing a bra look absolutely awful. Strapless bras + me do not mix!
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 285/169/Ticker

Height: 5'6"

Ah, so true!! So many plus-sized stores carry gaudy clothes. I refuse to torture myself by actually shopping at the mall so I buy online.

My guilty pleasure is Victoria's Secret. While it doesn't cater solely to plus sized gals, the sizes usually run bigger than at your run-of-the-mill store. So, even at 225 lbs, I could still fit in their XL/XXL.

(Side note: I just steer clear of tops and bottoms I know won't be flattering for my frame.)
shellofself is offline   Reply With Quote