Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Need help dressing up!

Hello everyone,

I'm wearing this dress http://www.barneys.com/Long-Dress/50...efault,pd.html to a dinner with my husband's company. It is super flattering on my figure. I actually have the shoes and handbag to go with it (both in black) but I'm wondering what else I should do. I tried it with a belt and it actually looks better without the belt. I guess I'm wondering if I should wear it with some sort of a cover up in case it's a cold evening? I guess I pretty much have most of it figured out but I just thought that maybe some of you fashion forward ladies would make some suggestions, such as adding some color or maybe not? I plan to have a french manicure and pedicure.

Thanks!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Love the dress. I would wear a few bracelets and earrings, I don't think I would wear a necklace. Depends where you live as to needing some kind of a wrap, I live in Northern California and it is always cool in the evenings. I would ( for me ) take some kind of a wrap.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

Thanks bargoo! What color bracelets and earring? I actually don't wear necklaces since they shorten my neck too much anyways. Would you wear the accessories in white gold, yellow gold or black and white? I want it to look sophisticated but not too dressy. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Wear a bracelet (or a few, as suggested above) and great earrings - and I would bring the color in via the jewelry. I agree that you should NOT wear a necklace, as the ruffled neckline is adequate. You absolutely need a pop of color with that b & w pattern, and since it's not in your shoes or purse, try for it in the accessories. Your options include turquoise, kelly green, orangey-red...you can even find earrings/bracelets that combine the pop of color with gold or silver touches. What color is your hair, and what is yur skintone? (Both will affect your color choices.) Will your hair be pulled back? If I wore that maxi I'd sport a colored chandelier-type earring or a plastic-y hoop - something fun that would draw attention to my neck. Sweep some bronzer across your cheekbones and bridge of your nose.
Have fun - one of my favorite things in life is to attend events with my man!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Depends what colors you like, I think silver bangles for the bracelets and maybe silver hoop earrings. And of course there is jet black, that would look great but you might think you have enough black. Share a pic with us , I think you will look stunning but not overdressed..
PS, I don't like to wear necklaces either. I always feel like I am going to strangle. They have to be very long and very lightweight before I will wear one.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

Wow fatburner! Thanks! Ok, my hair is brown with carmel highlights and very long and wavy. I will blow it out so that it's straight but has a nice wave/curl. My skin is olive. I like the idea of adding color or else it will be boring. I'm thinking of just doing into a department store like Nordstrom and asking their stylist which earrings/bracelets they'd recommend. I hesitate to ask them only because I don't like being pressured to buy and I don't wanna spend a ton of $
Old 07-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Funny you should mention Nordstrom - I always, always go there for my costume jewelry. This season they are showcasing a ton of "beachy" colors and surprisingly, you can find a pair of earrings for $40 and a bracelet for the same. Both can do double-duty with your other summer outfits.
I find the Nordstrom sales staff to be decidedly un-pushy (not a word, I suppose) and quite helpful. I don't mind paying a slight premium for a knowledgeable sales staff, and they'll be so helpful with this situation. Bring your Barney's dress when you go!
And the hair/skin color combo will be gorgeous with a punch of color...can't wait to hear how it goes!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

Thank you SO MUCH! I did see a gorgeous bracelet that I LOVED but it is a bit pricey for me.....http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/alexis-b...resultback=924 I like the bottom one a lot...I'm looking forward to going there and seeing what they have that's similar. Thanks!