Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #16  
Going from fluffy to fit

S/C/G: 230/228.8/180

Height: 5'4

I heard milk of magnesia helps
Faux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #17  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by getnslim View Post
This thread is so timely for me! I just got back from the Allergist because of a recent eczema flare-up on my eyelids. I only get flare-ups in the winter and I always thought it was because of our heating system blowing around excessive dust and dust-mites (which I'm allergic to). Doc explained that people with eczema generally have more issues in the winter because of the lack of moisture in the air. He recommended soaking the affected area for 20 min/day then an immediate application of Vaseline to trap the water into my skin. He also prescribed a cream but I haven't picked it up yet so I don't have the name.

OMG I am having the worst flare up on my eyelids And I have a small patch on the back of my left hand. I'll try your doc's suggestion today and see it it helps. it's so frustrating.
kathrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

My dermatologist also recommended the Cerave lotion, which around here I could only find at Walgreens. But I'll agree, that cream/lotion has done a much better job of keeping my skin moisturized and helping to prevent outbreaks than any lotions that I've tried in the past. I'm sure other brands have similar properties and some may be less expensive, but... It is nice that something over the counter can help, at least somewhat!

She also gave me some prescription steroid creams to have on hand; she said that if you can start the steroid treatment right away when you feel like you're starting to get an outbreak / right as it begins, it will be more effective than starting to use it once it's reached the full-blown state.
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #19  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

I have the worst eczema. It sucks. I get it everywhere. My hands are the worst, although I get it on my face and it's embarrassing. I can thank my grandma for my stupid skin that hates me.

Things I've found to help:

-moisturizing as SOON as I get out of the shower and staying moisturized all day(I like Aveeno)
-taking Zyrtec in the day, and a Benedryl or half of one at night
-keeping my bedding and clothes clean
-using steroid OINTMENT. It lasts longer and has less ingredients so it's less likely to irritate. I had the best success with Fluocinonide.

I'm the queen of eczema. I even participated in a study done by a major university in my area just so I could have free access to really good dermatologists. The best thing you can do is to realize that eczema is a chronic condition and to stay on top of it at all times, no matter how lazy you are or pressed for time.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #20  
Wrap dress addicted

S/C/G: 185/185/166

Height: 5'5 -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

A thread near and dear to my heart --- I get it on my lower legs every winter.

Rx steroid cream helps. I also wash my body (on derm's rec) with baby shampoo -- I can't even tolerate Dove. Also, the colder you can make your shower, the better.

When you exercise, try to leave the affected area uncovered (impossible for me, sadly) and wash the sweat off immediately.
NYGiantsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #21  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

Aveeno used to have Eczema Therapy body wash. They changed it to Active Naturals. It's always had a pale baby blue lid. It's soap-free, dye free, etc. They're in the process to changing it to something else.

Whenever they get their stuff together and put it back on the shelves, buy it. Best body wash I've ever used.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #22  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

I'll have to try it if I see it. Thanks for the suggestion. Even Dove sometimes seems a little harsh, although it's the best I've used so far. And there's all this argument about whether or bathe daily if you have eczema, but I'm sorry, I'm not going a day without showering haha.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

When my youngest had a flareup of flaming red, weepy, bloody cheeks, we got it under control with a steroid cream, reduced the amount of baths she took (down from daily to every other day...gross, I know!) and used Cetaphil 2x daily. It keeps it under control. Now that she is older and we bathe her daily, we make sure that she is VERY well lotioned. Her eczema has never been severe though.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #24  
committed

S/C/G: 299/147/120

Height: 5'2"

I was watching Dr. Oz yesterday, and he said to put coconut oil on eczema.
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #25  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Mine is on my neck and it flares up with stress. I put Aquaphor on it right after bath to lock in moisture and that helps take care of it.

So does reducing stress.

I use organic soaps/shampoo/lotion to minimize chemical exposure. I'm not really brand loyal though -- just whatever. I do tend to come back to Dr Bronner.

There's an Aura Cacia lavendar roll on stick that I like because it makes it easy to apply neat on the skin. That also helps.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-28-2011 at 06:57 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

Eliminate soaps that use parabens and sulphates in them and try to use natural ones like Burt's Bees or Waleda (calendula product). I also use that for my kids as my son has eczema and Burts Bees helps a lot.

I've struggled with severe eczema my whole life, first on the body and now quite bad on my hands (called dyshidrosis eczema). I still occasionally have to use steroids during flare ups. Only natural products helped. Also, it seems like loosing weight reduced the flareups. I am also vegetarian.
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #27  
We'll go with that!

S/C/G: 262/230/175

You are not supposed to take Hot showers either. The hot water irritates eczema prone skin.

I actually have it pretty bad this winter. Both legs a big patch on my back, one on my side, and I always always get one on my head, in the hairline, right in the front where my widow's peak is. The regular type of eczema doesn't bother me too much- it's when I get Wet Eczema that it is a problem.

I've never been officially diagnosed and my doctor's never could figure it out, but I get a "wet" eczema on my fingers, and I've also had a patch of it on my left shin now for 2 years. It starts as little blisters under the skin, and then all of a sudden, your skin cracks open, bleeds and weeps this nasty lymph type stuff. Breaking the blisters spreads it, but touching other parts of my body, or other people, when I have it doesn't spread it. It's very painful and hard to get rid of, especially on the finger tips or where the fingers bend.

I do have an ointment my dr. gave me for my leg (he thinks it's psoriasis) and I have found that it works great on my fingers. It's called Betamethasone Dipropionate

No idea what the brand name may be. (I certainly hope that's not it.. it's not catchy or even easy to remember lol)

LR
LightRaven is offline   Reply With Quote