Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-11-2010, 03:56 AM   #31  
ChubbyChicChick

S/C/G: 198/194/132

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnythesAINT View Post
Okay so I never really thought that skinny jeans looked good on larger women, just because the taper of the leg disproportioned everything. I decided, on my mom's and friend's opinions, to get a pair but I'm nervous to wear them out! These are them:

And then there's of course like the ugg type boot but would I not look a little odd wearing them in the fall? I also saw these:
But I'm not sure how much wear I would get out of them?
This is my first time EVER in skinny jeans so please, suggetions on how to wear them would be awesome!

You know... if you like 'em, wear 'em. I bought my first pair of skinny jeans in summer 09, because they were cute and they were 3 dollars, hahaha! I felt all sorts of awkward when I first bought them... but I put them on and left without overthinking it because if I did I would go back home and change my clothes.

And you know, I know they don't look as nice on me as they do on skinny girls. And I am a long ways to go till they look good on me. But I don't care. I am not going to dress like an old lady (no offense, ladies... you're all lovely and trendy!) just because I'm "too fat" for skinny jeans. I mean, life is passing me by enough as it is with all this extra weight I have. Fashion won't pass me by.
60lbstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:00 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 184/184/135

Height: 5'9

looks good.
Kissescandiigoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

60lbs, yes... but fashion is learning to balance your body. Skinny jeans do not do that, they DO highlight the things you DONT want them to. Why wear something that you KNOW doesnt look good on you? Whats the point in that when you could wear something that DOES.

I'm with mkendric on this one... 100%
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #34  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I sat outside with a coffee in the East Village the other day & took an informal survey of passersby. I was there for maybe an hour, getting a bit of sun. I had a book newly bought at the Strand but didn't open it. I just looked on idly at the runway on the sidewalks. I can report that the ratio of skinny jeans to flared pants in NY -- in that particular location, which skews heavily toward youth -- is now about eight to one. I did not count outright leggings, the material had to be denim, or my count would have been even higher. The look is pencil-thin on bottom, voluminous & relatively long on top.

Any more of this & I am going to be convinced that flared jeans are slowly going the way of the high-waisted, tapered-leg, so-called "Mom" jeans.

(Confession: I still own a pair of those old tapered-leg jeans to wear for household cleaning operations that involve things like bleach & silver polish, heavy suckers, made of 100% cotton, not a bit of stretch in them, and they now feel so weird, because of the heavy guage of the fabric & that very high waist. And once they were universally deemed as flattering & forgiving. And now are not considered so. Strange how the world cycles through.)

Last edited by saef; 09-19-2010 at 05:02 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #35  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

saef, you and I are of the age that we remember and may still own some jeans that are scarily similar to today's skinny jeans. Perhaps that's why I'm so comfortable in them. I do own boot cuts as well, but they just seem to accentuate my flatter than flat bum.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #36  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I'm pretty sure the flared look is more or less out. And I'm pleased with this, also. But I don't think skinny jeans will take over entirely. A nice medium wide straight jean or a modest bootcut that fits snugly on the thighs and then relaxed straight down will always be in style.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #37  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I think with a longer flowy top and some slouchy boots over them they'd look great and balance out your proportions nicely!

I'm a convert this fall... I'm a Pear but I think I look great in my skinnies! Rock them out!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #38  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

My jean terms were wrong. When say "flare," I mean "bootcut." (I don't mean the really wide-bottomed jeans from the early 00s that looked like 70s bell-bottoms.)

So what I meant to write is that the ratio of skinny to bootcut in the East Village the other day was about 9 to 1. Bootcut appears not to be an option in NY if you're below a certain age. I did not see a lot of straight leg. More on guys. Though they also wear skinny jeans.

Losermom, yeah, I was remembering an early pair of Calvins of mine & & also a particular pair of black Gloria Vanderbilt (for Murjani ;-) cords when I first saw the pencil-leg a few years back. Except our old jeans were cut differently in the waist. I am sure the waist was higher, though not as high as it crept up to be later. Also, the stretch fabric was of poorer quality back then -- it's much more sophisticated now. I remember feeling like my legs were encased in saran wrap/denim hybrid & how hot those jeans were on even slightly warm days. But what I remember best is all the jokes about having to lie down to zip the suckers up. (They were much tighter than the style that had preceded them.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Okay, I've listened long enough and I'm chiming in.

I think skinny jeans are an option for all of us IF you find the right cut and you wear the right tops, shoes, etc to balance it out.

I am turning 50 this week and I have a FABULOUS pair of skinny jeans that I am rocking! I am also a size 16, I'm only 5'3. I will say that I have lost most of my weight in my lower half. So, maybe that helps, I don't know. I will say they are a very dark wash AND I had to try on a zillion pairs before I found these. The cut is just very flattering.

I will end by saying create an entire outfit. For most of us, skinny jeans and just pulling on a tee shirt isn't going to work unless we are stick thin. Then get a good friend who is comfortable being honest with you, and ask that friend for their honest opinion. I have a couple of friends who do this for me. When I got their seal of approval I knew I could leave the house in my skinny jeans

I wear mine with ballet flats that have a nice toe embellishment ( I think this helps balance things out, but I also have a couple pairs of boots that slouch--one with a nice heel, the other flat) that work too. I wear layers on top, long and flowing but not past the crotch so that also balances things out and by not going past the crotch it makes my legs look longer.

So. Get a good friend to help you create an outfit and see what they think. I think with the right shoes and top you can rock this outfit!!!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #40  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

I don't think skinny jeans are for everyone. I think on certain body types they are flattering, namely very thin girls and/or girls with boyish figures. Otherwise I just don't think they look good. I have a pair, well two. They didn't look great on me, they make my thighs look bigger. Sort of sausage-y.

I'm not agreeing with mkendrick though, I think they are fashionable and they do look good on some people. GREAT on some people actually. Just not everyone.

Boot cut is still in style, and I've read/heard that it is universally flattering. I certainly look good in boot cut jeans, so that's what I stick to. I think it's very important to dress for your body, not for what you wish you could wear. Does that make sense? I see loads and loads of people today wearing what they've seen someone else wearing that they think looks good, and it just doesn't work on them. That's why you have to try things on and no matter how much you love a piece of clothing, if it doesn't work for you, don't buy it. Dress for the body you have, I wish I'd known that when I was a teenager, I probably would have had higher self esteem. :P

I'm not knocking your purchases though OP, I'm really not. I'm just being blunt and sharing what I've come to learn from fashion.

Last edited by oodlesofnoodles; 09-20-2010 at 02:07 PM.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #41  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewCreation View Post

I will say they are a very dark wash AND I had to try on a zillion pairs before I found these. The cut is just very flattering.

I wear mine with ballet flats that have a nice toe embellishment ( I think this helps balance things out, but I also have a couple pairs of boots that slouch--one with a nice heel, the other flat)
I agree 100%. I'd rather own 2-3 pairs of really great fitting jeans (and wear them over and over) than a bunch of poorly fitting ones. I love wearing mine with ballet flats, loafers and boots too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Losermom, yeah, I was remembering an early pair of Calvins of mine & & also a particular pair of black Gloria Vanderbilt (for Murjani ;-) cords when I first saw the pencil-leg a few years back. Except our old jeans were cut differently in the waist. I am sure the waist was higher, though not as high as it crept up to be later. Also, the stretch fabric was of poorer quality back then -- it's much more sophisticated now. I remember feeling like my legs were encased in saran wrap/denim hybrid & how hot those jeans were on even slightly warm days. But what I remember best is all the jokes about having to lie down to zip the suckers up. (They were much tighter than the style that had preceded them.)
Saef, they didn't fit properly if we didn't lay down on our beds to zip them up! Breathing was optional! I agree on the waist rises--personally I hate either low or high rises, I need a mid-rise thank you. I think that the current stretch allows you to wear your jeans much more fitted while also allowing the luxury of breathing. I do remember how hot they were, I think the denim was much heavier. I also remember a pair of super high waisted, pleated, tapered, acid-washed jeans that I wore as a young mom... Right now I'm wearing a pair of black, straight leg Calvins. CK jeans are a classic.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #42  
Cookie

S/C/G: 88.0/83.7/63

Height: 170cm

I remember being a super fit teenager and having to lie down to do up my jeans. After eating we would have to undo the top button because the jeans rode high and didn't allow for a muffin top.
Personally - I congratulate you for being able to fit in skinny jeans, I can't get them in my size.
Here in Australia - I notice girls who wear skinny jeans - they wear with Very High Heals or with FM boots. I think even the skinny skinny girls think that they make their legs look fat.
Skinny jeans are going out of fashion now - I wonder what it'll be next
Cookc04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #43  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I love skinny jeans!! I bought a few pairs (dark blues, dark greys and black) to wear in the fall..with boots!! I have slouch style boots. They come up just below the knee. I'm going to buy some Uggs when it gets a little bit colder, and some flat boots (because walking in heels makes my feet hurt for days). Plus, I personally think that skinny jeans look cute with Converse or Vans.

I used to wear boot cut all the time. And it wasn't until a few years ago, that I realized they made me look even shorter than I really am. So I changed to straight leg, and they make me look taller. Skinny jeans have the same effect on me too.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #44  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I swear by skinny jeans and this whole new "Jeggings" thing is awesome. They can make thighs look big (on anyone) but you know what, when you're really talking to someone or moving you see them from all angles and IMO they are quite flattering from the side or from head-height looking down.

If you're self conscious I strongly advocate tucking them into boots. If you're feeling frisky, knee high boots with skinnies (not stiletto heeled...) can look awesome.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 230/220/190

Height: 5 foot six

Totally agree with krampus... skinny jeans are actually very flattering from the right angles.

I'm a size 18 and finally bought a pair of skinnies from Evans (plus size shop in the UK) and I absolutely love them. Like another poster, I wear them with an embellished flat and a cute top. Fashion rules are made to be broken!
damngina is offline   Reply With Quote