Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #16  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustImagine View Post
It is dangerous...

The product contains formaldehyde. I was stupid and had one treatment done.
The fumes that were emitting into the air were putrid. It burned by eyes, nose, and mouth. She claimed it would go away in a minute or two, it didn't. I couldn't stand the fumes, and I couldn't breathe until she finished blow-drying my hair.

The FDA only approves of 0.02% of the formaldehyde into the formula. Yet salons often buy smuggled products from other hair dressers. Most hair dressers don't even KNOW that Keratin does NOT straighten your hair- the formaldehyde does! With some of the products up to 8.5% formaldehyde, it's extremely dangerous to breath in!

I don't recommend it at all. Plus the frizz and the curls/waves come back within a month. No matter how little you wash your hair.
There is no formaldehyde in the product. You must have used something else or if your stylist told you that she was wrong or she put something else in your hair. Sounds like she said you were getting the BB but you were really getting something else as there are many keratin treatments with Formaldehyde but the BB says there is no FH. If the manufacturors lied they'd be in SERIOUS trouble!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #17  

S/C/G: ---/---/120

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
There is no formaldehyde in the product. You must have used something else or if your stylist told you that she was wrong or she put something else in your hair. Sounds like she said you were getting the BB but you were really getting something else as there are many keratin treatments with Formaldehyde but the BB says there is no FH. If the manufacturors lied they'd be in SERIOUS trouble!

You're wrong.

http://www.short-hair-style.com/kera...treatment.html

:]
JustImagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #18  

S/C/G: ---/---/120

Height: 5'2

Also.

Brazilian Blow-out is not Formaldehyde free; it contains Glutaraldehyde which is a colorless liquid with a pungent odor used to disinfect medical and dental equipment. It is also used for industrial water treatment and as a chemical preservative.

However, it is toxic, causing severe eye, nose, throat and lung irritation, along with headaches, drowsiness and dizziness. It is a main source of occupational asthma among health care providers.

Glutaraldehyde is an oily liquid at room temperature (density 1.06 g/mL), and miscible with water, alcohol, and benzene. It is used as a tissue fixative in electron microscopy. It is employed as an embalming fluid, is a component of leather tanning solutions, and occurs as an intermediate in the production of certain industrial chemicals.

Glutaraldehyde is frequently used in biochemistry applications as an amine-reactive homobifunctional crosslinker. The oligomeric state of proteins can be examined through this application.

Monomeric glutaraldehyde can polymerize by aldol condensation reaction yielding alpha,beta-unsaturated poly-glutaraldehyde. This reaction usually occurs at alkaline pH values.
JustImagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #19  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

No- I'm not.

http://amominredhighheels.com/brazilian-blowout-toxic/

http://www.short-hair-style.com/bkt-...ernatives.html

It used to contain it- but not anymore- not since fall of 2008- so unless your stylist is using old product if it's the BB it will not have FH. And Glutaraldehyde is not the same thing.

http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiteratu...romPage=GetDoc

Last edited by beerab; 08-18-2010 at 05:45 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #20  

Height: 5'4"

I go for BB every single year. Not here in USA though... where else could I get the best BB if not in Brazil?!?!?!?
I remember the first ones made my eyes really hurt. But the past few years the product and process had changed and it doesn't happen anymore. They have many kind of hair straighten process and they all get better with time.
The first ones I've done was called "permanent straighten" if I translate it, but the last ones is a different kind which they call temporary and should be redone every 3/4 months or so. But except for the last one I got, they all lasted my hair lifetime, which means that the part of the hair that have been through the process never curled again. It only started to get curly again from the roots.
I don't get a BB here because I don;t really trust anyone, since I haven't met anyone who have done it. And the price in Brazil is way cheaper.
I am going to Brazil again at the end of the year and can't wait to get it done again. The kind I get not only make my hair straight but also get rid of all the frizziness. All I have to do is wash my hair and let it dry naturally. I don't ever have to use a hair drier, EVER. So I have a good hair day everyday effortless, which is priceless...
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

[QUOTE=JenMusic;3431207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
Truly, I don't love my curly hair-- if it's long it frizzes A LOT even if I use every pricey product known to mankind. If it's shorter, I get that rounded helmet head look that I've never liked. But I ALWAYS wear it curly because in spite of years of trying, I've never mastered the art of straightening it myself. QUOTE]

Can I speak up for the curly-haired sisterhood?

I have very fine, thin, curly hair and for years it AGGRAVATED me. It was frizzy (I lived in Florida, land of frizz), tangled, unruly . . . you name it. And yes, I had Darth Vader triangle helmet head, too.

The people at naturallycurly.com saved my life. OK, that's an exaggeration, but the advice and recommendations there really did help. Specifically, I only shampoo once or twice a week (no, my hair is not gross or smelly), condition every day, and I don't use ANY products with silicone or anything that ends in -cone. Since these are often the expensive products, I'm set with my $1.59 shampoo and conditioner.

There are also really good reviews for stylists comfortable and knowledgeable about curly hair - which, in my experience, a lot of stylists, even good stylists, are not. A good cut can eliminate Darth Vader head, as well as cut down tremendously on frizz.

Obviously straighten your hair if that's what you want to do, and I have no idea what your hair is like. But I take about 30 seconds a day to deal with my hair, spend very little money on it, and get compliments all the time. I think more curly-heads would be happier if they started working with our hair, instead of against it.

Sorry for the mini-soapbox!
LOL. I don't mind the soapbox. Every single person in my family has curly hair, and I've been a wash and wear gal for years. I do have an excellent curly-friendly stylist and I know how to manage my hair so that it looks its best-- as I've aged my hair has gotten progressively less nice and more gross, but still I've never considered straightening it....

BUT I recently got professional hair and make-up for a wedding and I got my hair blown out on the advice of the stylist (something I NEVER do).

It looked AWESOME. I looked gorgeous and I got millions of compliments.

Then, I started hearing a lot about the Brazilian blow out (dirty minds unite)

Since writing this thread I have met someone I worked with who has been doing it for three years. Her hair looks awesome and I never would have guessed....

I like curly hair-- but I also LOVED the sleek, smooth, pretty look I got with the blown out hair...

So I figured, why not!!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #22  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I finally got a Brazilian Blowout. It did not straighten my hair. It just calmed it. I still have to blow it out straight with a hair dryer and flat iron it. The difference is that when I flat iron it, it looks like I just stepped out of the hair salon, whereas before I got the BB, it never looked anything close to how it looks when my hair stylist does it. At first, I thought I'd wasted my money but now that I can see the difference, I think that I will do it again. My only concern (aside from how expensive it is) is the fumes/chemicals. I hope that Beerab is right and that it isn't harmful. I didn't notice any major chemicals when it was done and my eyes only watered for a minute or two at one point and that's it. I hope this helps someone.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #23  
Owned by Dixie

I had a Keritin treatment yesterday (simply smooth is the brand) I have to say that because this stuff has to stay on your hair for 72-96 hours (probobly easier in winter) my hair looks good but god I can't wait to wash it out! The stuff makes my hair feel really dirty.

I have to travel tomorrow into MAJOR heat. I am sure I will only make it to Thursday morning before I will need to wash it out. I am not bringing my flat iron with me so air dry or dryer only for me when I do wash it.

No results yet for me but just an FYI to those thinking about doing it, some of the products require you to not wash your hair for a few days (3-4), no pony, no clips either.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #24  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

I will put my down my experiences as well.
Last May 2009 I did a Brazilian Keratin treatment (250 intro price). The hairstylist said they made a version w/o formaldehyde, called Brazilian Blow out, but that it lasted a much shorter period of time. So I took my chances with the tiny amts of formaldehyde and really loved how it made my hair super easy to style.
Then it was essentially gone after 2 months. I returned to hair stylist and she told me about a mini relaxer system but it was heavy duty chemicals, unlike the keratin which is essentially a deep deep conditioning treatment. I did the CHI and was delighted! It took half the time and was half the price (125). Awesome. Yes, it was totally noxious chemicals but it was quick and made my hair look fabulous. I did it 1x after. Again, happy. I started calling Keratin or Brazilian Blow Ou the gateway treatment the way marijuana is known as the gateway drug...

Most recently I went back and she was raving about this combination relaxer and keratin. She talked me into it. Yes, it made my hair look great but it took again, way longer and was pricier (230) than the chi which I was happy with. ALso, I noticed it STANK. I perspire in my sleep sometimes and, oy!, the smells coming from my head were just gross.

Sum total: I loved the results of the chi, the decreased time spent in the chair 1 hour vs. 3 and the price was the best also!
When I last saw my stylist I told her that I would be going back to the CHI, please don't ever discontinue the service

sorry for the long story...

Last edited by kittycat40; 09-02-2010 at 10:04 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #25  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Default Chi!

Brown- I did some research and yes, you are right the 200 my local salon charges is a great price.

I called up the salon and talked to the stylist that does it and I finally got up the courage and made an appointment to get Chi done! Tuesday the 26th. I'm really excited and nervous as well. I hope I am happy with the results. But it'll grow out if i'm not. Either way I am psyched. I will take before and after pics to show everyone so if someone is thinking about it, depending on my results they will be able to make a more informed decision.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #26  
Owned by Dixie

going to give the Simply Smooth treatment a poor! It was so yucky to have it in my hair for 4 days and not be able to clip it or pull it back. forgo the exercise too becuse I could not get it wet, wonder what would have happened if it rained!
Anyway it lasted less than a month and was not worth the money. Glad I was a test client.

I had the Brazilian blowout last thursday night, so far so good, clipped it up the day after and no marks, wore it in a pony tait, no rubber band marks either. I will reserve my review of BB for a little while sust to see the longer term effect.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #27  
Half Marathoner!!!

Okay, due to money issues, I had to reschedule my chi appointment. It is tomorrow morning! I'm excited! I already have my before pic taken and will post both after!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #28  
Half Marathoner!!!

Default Wow!

I got CHI done yesterday and all I can say is WOW I love it! My stylist did an absolutely AMAZING job. She was very knowledgeable on the process and was the only one at the salon who did it so she had lots of experience. For me, the process took a little under 4 hours. She was very precise and I cannot stress how wonderful of a job she did! And the price was an outstanding one compared to what other places were charging.

She said no ponytails or clips right afterwards, but I'm wondering when I can put my hair up? I went to my workouts at the gym a few hours after getting it done and left it down and MAN did I sweat 100 times more than usual, lol. I've got another workout today and am wondering if I should still leave it down? She also said no shampooing until 72 hours after. As someone who works out pretty much every day I'm kinda nervous about that part. I dont want to look like a dirty bum when I go to the gym, but i suppose if that is what is recommended I will follow that and just suck it up! I'm wondering if you ladies who have had it done, what did you do? How long until you put it up, or how long did u wait to shampoo? Were there any negative affects if you did those things a little early?

I purchased the recommended CHI shampoo and Infra treatment (conditioner) also because if I'm going to do something I want to do it right, and take the best care of my hair as possible.

But anyway, as promised...PICTURES! The after pics were after my workouts so I may look a little haggard, lol.
Before:

After:

Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #29  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

I just use Ion on my hair and it does a fantastic job
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #30  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveLHaelf View Post
I'm wondering if you ladies who have had it done, what did you do? How long until you put it up, or how long did u wait to shampoo? Were there any negative affects if you did those things a little early?
The first time I had my hair straightened, I put it in a ponytail the next day. Bad idea. I had a bump until my hair grew out. Since then, I don't put it up until after I wash it. My hair is resistant to the straightening, so I don't do anything that will cause moisture to touch my hair, and that includes no sweating. I get thermal straightening, so the wait time is only 48 hours though.

I'd call the salon and ask exactly when it's "safe" for you to put your hair up. Explain that you're headed to the gym and make sure that sweating won't damage the process either. Any good stylist will tell you when it's actually ok, as opposed to when it's recommended.

When you do wash it, I'd suggest doing a deep conditioning treatment right away. I use coconut oil, but there are some decent treatments on the market.

Also, you may find the CHI products make your hair greasy, limp, or frizzy. I've had terrible luck with their hair care line, even though I love my CHI flat iron a bit too much. The Silk Infusion is meant to be used with a flat iron, so if you're not ironing your hair it may not turn out the way you'd anticipate. If you do like the CHI products, TJ Maxx usually has them for MUCH cheaper than salons.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote