Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

I think bra fitting is something you need to be exposed to and get used to early in life. Those bra fitting ladies are pretty bold and aggressive but like someone else already said, not in a creepy way...

Wearing a propertly fitted bra is not only for appearance, if you have large breast a well fitting bra is helpful in reducing back and sholulder pain and will result in less sagging later on.

Last edited by nancymae; 08-08-2010 at 01:26 AM.
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #17  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

Apostrophe,
Thanks a milliion for the bra websites and fitting info. I think I'll be trying some new sizes very soon...
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #18  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Gee, I didn't realize those links were so helpful to so many.

Glad it helps!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 176/158/136

Height: 5'2"

totally inappropriate joke but in the appropriate place.

But all of this talk about sagging breasts reminds me of a Maxine cartoon.

" I can sit down and touch my knees without using my hands"
LynnDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #20  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
Last time I was in with my sister, the salewoman started asking me what bra I was in. I told her I wasn't buying bras today, blah blah blah and finally she just came out and said, "I'd like to fit you; I'd like to see you more like this" and she reached out and gently pushed the girls together and up. LOL. She wasn't creepy or crossing boundarys, she just really, really wanted to see my boobs looking perkier. And yes, I bought a couple of bras that day.

Thanks for all the answers and info everyone. But I wonder...if you wear your "best fitting bra" but it's one that smooshes and smashes everything in weird directions (don't we all have bras like that? ) wouldn't it make it difficult for the fitter to gauge what would be correct?

Thanks for the links astrophe...lots of enormously (no pun intended ) helpful info! According to the guidelines on that site I'm definitely in the wrong size. I'm wearing a 36DD and it says I should be in a 38I. I?!? Definitely not gonna find that on the rack at Wal*Mart!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #21  

Height: 5'11"

Yeah, if your best fitting bra is one that's totally wrong, they can at least measure you and get an idea of where to start. Chances are, they'll bring a couple of different things for you...at Nordstrom, they usually bring a "fitter" bra, which I guess is a bra that is really true-to-size, so they know where you are really starting from. The thing I like about being fitted is they really know their stock, so they won't even bring you certain bras because the saleslady knows it runs small (or big, or whatever). It really takes a lot of the frustration out of bra shopping. My sister was wearing a 38DD and it turns out that she is the same size as me....34G. Her boobs looked pretty amazing once she was in the right bra.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #22  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post

Thanks for all the answers and info everyone. But I wonder...if you wear your "best fitting bra" but it's one that smooshes and smashes everything in weird directions (don't we all have bras like that? ) wouldn't it make it difficult for the fitter to gauge what would be correct?

Thanks for the links astrophe...lots of enormously (no pun intended ) helpful info! According to the guidelines on that site I'm definitely in the wrong size. I'm wearing a 36DD and it says I should be in a 38I. I?!? Definitely not gonna find that on the rack at Wal*Mart!
You just do the best fitting bra and go from there. Another tip I heard was to measure just above your breasts with no bra, then put the bra on and measure there again. It will likely be a bigger measurement with your bra on than with it off. Take the difference between the two measurements and add it to the measurement of the fullest part of your breast (bra on) to get the "fullest part of your breast" measurements for calculating size. That extra inch or two represents the amount of breast that is being displaced upwards buy your currently too small cups.

As to your 38 I - Remember that a lot of lines have DD (but some lines call that an E) or DDD (sometimes an F) and then some lines have FF and GG, etc and each of those represent an inch of cup size. So my 40 H would be a 40 J if there were no double sizes in the brand I'm wearing (but my brand has DD, FF, and GG before it gets to H). That's why it's important to try on different sizes to see what really works.

Last edited by eclipse; 08-08-2010 at 01:25 PM.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #23  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Oh, also, for those bigger sizes, it really is best to shop at a premium bra shop. My bras were $50 each, but the most comfortable I've ever worn. Once you find a brand you like and know your size, you can shop around on line and get better deals. Another thing a bra fitter told me that was interesting is that sometimes the same brand and style of a bra will fit differently in a different color, so if you want to buy a black bra and a white bra, you shouldn't just get the same size and style, you need to try them both on. She said it has to do with the dyes used to color the bras.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 172/150/145

Height: 5'7"

In my experience, getting fitted for bras is one of the best things I can do for myself- well-fitting bras feel so much better and it's like losing 10 pounds instantly. I usually go to Nordstroms, and they are well trained, or to a local specialty lingerie shop. I'm not very shy, and these women have seen me topless, but if you feel uncomfortable with that, they can measure and evaluate the fit more discreetly. This is what they do all day! So there is no need to be embarrassed.

Bras come in so many different shapes, styles, fabrics- and we all have preferences, too. When I get fitted, I know I am getting the best bras for my shape, in the right size, because these women know breasts and their inventory. Good bras are not cheap, so I want to be sure I'm getting the most supportive and flattering ones! Plus, they just keep bringing you the different styles and sizes, so you don't have to hunt around yourself.

Do it, get a fitting in person!
pucedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucedaisy View Post
Good bras are not cheap, so I want to be sure I'm getting the most supportive and flattering ones!
This is so true! I am really envious of people who can by a bra for $15, because I have to pay $50 apiece for mine. It's totally worth it, because the support is so good and yet so comfortable. It's awesome having huge boobs and still being able to have a 2-hook bra, instead of some awful big granny thing with 4 hooks and wires digging in everywhere. Expensive, but worth it!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #26  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Quote:
It's awesome having huge boobs and still being able to have a 2-hook bra, instead of some awful big granny thing with 4 hooks and wires digging in everywhere. Expensive, but worth it!
Windchime, could I ask which brands you found that give you the 2-hooks but still offer support for larger sizes? I scanned back through the thread but didn't see it mentioned, but it would be great to have a starting point to look, since I always seem to find the 4-hooks etc.

Thanks!
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #27  

Skygirl, the ones I buy are Fantasie of England. I like the Seamless Molded Balcony bra, #4520. Right now, I've gained a few pounds so I am experiencing some cup spillage that I don't really like. They also make a full cup model and I think that would solve the overflow problem, LOL. As would losing a few pounds!

My Nordstrom only carries the nude and white colors, but I can see that they sell a really pretty chocolate color and black online. It is an underwire, but it's the most comfortable bra I've ever owned. Because the cups are full enough, the underwire lays completely flat against my chest and doesn't stick out or dig in.

Last edited by Windchime; 08-08-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #28  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Before I lost weight (and several sizes) I ordered my bras at Bare Necessities. They have every size imaginable and good sales. I was in a 44H and found a variety of styles and colors.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #29  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Quote:
Skygirl, the ones I buy are Fantasie of England. I like the Seamless Molded Balcony bra, #4520. It is an underwire, but it's the most comfortable bra I've ever owned. Because the cups are full enough, the underwire lays completely flat against my chest and doesn't stick out or dig in.
Windchime, thanks! I will take a look at those next time I am at Nordstrom. I like the idea of the 2-hook a lot, and of course the comfort. Maybe I will make this a reward thing once I'm at a particular goal. Thanks again!
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #30  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Thank you everyone for making a bra fitting sound less like an experience in utter humiliation and degradation!

I went to a little boutique on Sunday for a fitting and it was very professional. The woman asked me a ton of questions about problems, preferences, etc. She had me try on two different style bras in what I thought my size was, and explained to me why they were the wrong size (which was very helpful!) and why certain styles were best for me.

Then based on what she saw (not on measurements) she had me try on about 100 bras (in different brands and styles). The difference between what I was wearing and what she recommended was incredible! I looked like I had different boobs.

And thank goodness my correct size isn't 38I as the online charts suggested (which sounds completely horrifying to me ) but a 36G (which still sounds huge but not quite so bad!).

I bought two Wacoal bras (this one and this one) and am very happy!

Last edited by Rochester; 08-19-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote