Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #31  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I must have mascara. Must. I've got very fair, fine lashes, though they're long, and they simply disappear if they're not touched up.

For years, I used the pink & green Maybelline, until the year when I developed an allergy to lanolin and any chemical in makeup that ends in the word "lanolate."

Now I use Physician's Formula. It's fine but not waterproof.

I'd try other mascaras, but it's an expensive hassle -- because first, I have to stand there in Sephora or the drugstore or at the make-up counter at a dept. store squinting at the tiny, tiny print that lists the ingredients. (It's not fun to decipher cosmetic ingredients. They really can't print them small enough.) Sometimes I've bought stuff that doesn't list the ingredient I'm allergic to & I find they've lied, and there must be **something** else in there that my eyes just don't like or else in such a small proportion that they don't technically need to list it.

And yeah, when I lived in the West Village, near Industria Studios (where they do a lot of fashion shoots), I was slightly acquainted with some makeup artists who worked there regularly & would have lunch nearby, and would sometimes run out to a drugstore on 7th Ave when they needed something. Their standby was the pink & green Maybelline. They were brilliant at applying it, though -- just the right amount on the wand, taking their time, being extremely careful, and holding the brush at different angles. This is why they're professionals, though & why they are called "artists."

Last edited by saef; 08-04-2010 at 09:22 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I must have mascara. Must. I've got very fair, fine lashes, though they're long, and they simply disappear if they're not touched up.

For years, I used the pink & green Maybelline, until the year when I developed an allergy to lanolin and any chemical in makeup that ends in the word "lanolate."

Now I use Physician's Formula. It's fine but not waterproof.

I'd try other mascaras, but it's an expensive hassle -- because first, I have to stand there in Sephora or the drugstore or at the make-up counter at a dept. store squinting at the tiny, tiny print that lists the ingredients. (It's not fun to decipher cosmetic ingredients. They really can't print them small enough.) Sometimes I've bought stuff that doesn't list the ingredient I'm allergic to & I find they've lied, and there must be **something** else in there that my eyes just don't like or else in such a small proportion that they don't technically need to list it.

And yeah, when I lived in the West Village, near Industria Studios (where they do a lot of fashion shoots), I was slightly acquainted with some makeup artists who worked there regularly & would have lunch nearby, and would sometimes run out to a drugstore on 7th Ave when they needed something. Their standby was the pink & green Maybelline. They were brilliant at applying it, though -- just the right amount on the wand, taking their time, being extremely careful, and holding the brush at different angles. This is why they're professionals, though & why they are called "artists."
Hi Saef! I don't know if this link will help you or not but it's a cosmetic safety database. They list different cosmetics, how safe they are, and a list of their ingredients.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/bro...tegory=mascara

Last edited by Jenteal; 08-04-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Jenteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

The absolute BEST mascara I have ever used is Mary Kay Ultimate Mascara. I have to admit, though, I would never spend $15 on it. I am a consultant, so I get it for $7.50. Makes it affordable for me! lol
Hickory0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #34  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Jenteal, THANK YOU! Much easier to read the ingredients here, at my leisure, with a cup of coffee at hand. (I've used Sephora's website for this, too, but it isn't comprehensive.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote