Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Default Alternatives to shaving?

I find that when I shave my underarms they become really sensitive and pretty uncomfortable and red. I've tried lots of different shaving gels (Tried conditioner as well) and razors, but to no avail. Hair removal creams irritate my skin too, so that's not an option, and when I've tried the wax strips before they haven't really removed the hair very well.

I've considered maybe professional waxing, but I'm a student so not sure about the cost, and wondering if it might irritate my skin too?

Any suggestions for alternatives would be appreciated, or experience with professional waxing
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Have you tried switching deodorants? I get the same thing, but I've found the problem is in harsh deodorants and that shaving exacerbates them. For me, the Dove Sensitive Skin seems to work pretty well: I also don't layer it on--I use enough, but I don't put on another 5 layers "just to be sure".
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

I suggest epilators and/or plucking (especially if you don't have a lot of hair there). I've also recently bought Smooth Away, but I think the skin there is too sensitive for that much rubbing.
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #4  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I have the same problem... and I'm probably going to be going with the professional waxing. I'll be doing my legs once... and then going with this until I can gather up enough money for laser hair removal.

This place has your first under arm waxing free... so... you can try it... without having to commit to it. I'm going to do that... just to see how it'll work.

go to waxcenter . com (won't let me post a link yet)

Then go look at the waxings, then at "free wax offer".

There might be one near you...

I'm going to be going maybe Wednesday, because I have this dance thing on Friday... I can let you know how it goes.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #5  
Find Joy in the Journey

S/C/G: ?/128lbs/107lbs

Height: 4,10

I'm not trying to sell this in any way, but there's a product called Coochy Cream. Funny name, I know. It's for shaving your lady bits, but really it's great for shaving anything or as use as a deep conditioner. My husband even uses it for his face and never has razor burn or has to use after shave.
eyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyks View Post
I'm not trying to sell this in any way, but there's a product called Coochy Cream. Funny name, I know.

I can't believe there is something on the market with a name like THAT!!! Geez!

To the original poster - I watched last week an infomercial on some laser gizmo for home use. I don't recall the name but it should not be too hard to find it through Google. They touted it as a tool for removal of facial hair (as well as hair in other areas). It was not cheap, I think it was around $300 (not sure if US or Canadian) but given your problem, it may be something that would be worth the investment (how about splitting up the price with a relative or a friend?)
I am blonde so fortunately my underarm hair does not show very much but I have to shave at least 2x a week - it seems to grow fast.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #7  
Loving life...loving me

S/C/G: 234/226/150!

Height: 5'7"

I'd recommend an epilator - has worked great for me
wowzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyks View Post
I'm not trying to sell this in any way, but there's a product called Coochy Cream. Funny name, I know. It's for shaving your lady bits, but really it's great for shaving anything or as use as a deep conditioner. My husband even uses it for his face and never has razor burn or has to use after shave.
I have several friends who SWEAR by coochy cream. As far as I know though, it's mostly sold at adult novelty shops.

Also I've never tried it for underarm but I know several friends who use "magic shaving powder" for their lady bits. It is a depilatory designed for black men's beards, does well with coarse hair and most people find no irritation. You can find it at most drugstores, sometimes with shaving stuff, sometimes with other hair removal products, sometimes in the little section set aside for "ethnic hair" products.

Last edited by ennay; 05-25-2010 at 12:57 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the responses
I have been looking at epilators in the past few days, Braun Silk-épil Xelle 5585 Body & Face Epilator seems to have pretty decent reviews and isn't too expensive.
I haven't seen that 'Coochy cream' anywhere, but I'm in the UK so I guess we might not have it :P
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #10  
BabyFatBeGone

S/C/G: 163/145/130

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I just used something new the other day that worked well for me. It is a wax that does not require strips to use. You microwave the wax for about a minute and then apply it under your arms and then just pull it off.

This worked much better for me than trying to wax it using regular wax that require strips. I had a much harder time getting the hair out with the wax needed strips underarm even though I use it regularly for waxing my legs
BabyFatGone is offline   Reply With Quote