Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #1  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Default Nail Polish colors!

So I got this gorgeous pastel purple nail polish at ULTA called "Last Fling Before the Ring", and since their brand was buy one, get one free, I got another one that's black with gold sparkle.

I guess I am curious if 1.) black is even still in as a nail color this year, and 2.) if black is an appropriate color for spring/summer? What do you ladies think? I love the purple and it looks adorable on, but I was curious if the black would be ok for me to wear going out on the weekends or something.

Also, what are your favorite colors for this season?
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have a bright spring green on my toes right now. I really try to keep the more "questionable" colors on my toes, just in case they look strange. But it's cheerful and makes me smile when I look down!

Still, do people really judge others on whether their nail polish color choice is seasonally appropriate? I think generally, lighter/brighter colors are more common in spring/summer, but honestly, wear what you like!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:21 AM   #3  
fra

S/C/G: 231/xx/150 [105/xx/68 kg]

Height: 6' [183 cm]

well I couldn't follow "fashion" less, so I just go with what I like. I love black I always find it sexy together with girly clothes, i only find it maybe a bit aggressive together with male-ish or unisex clothes, but that's me.
Another color I adore is deep red (very dark) but I find it's hard to match :P
oh and I think for spring and summer the french manicure is a sure hit.. it's neutral and light and looks always soo good :3
fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 327/293/125

Height: 5'5"

Purple is awesome for spring! As for black, I would say as long as it's not chipped or anything, and paired with a classy outfit, you could get away with it. It all depends on what you pair it with. Or you could try a coat of black, then a coat of purple, and see what happens. I have a purple/black combo that comes out electric shock blue that way, and it looks awesome. Go with whatever feels right to you. Fashion looks best on someone who is comfortable in what they are wearing, not wearing it just because it is in style.
christinesefton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I usually like darker colors on my nails, but while I'm at school I go with pale because the chips don't show up as easily (I don't have time for nightly touch ups, haha). I say wear what you want, if you like dark nail polish (black, dark purple), then wear it. I don't think it is necessarily a 'winter' thing, but I suppose most people would consider it to be. That being said, paired with dark colors all the time it might be a bit anti-spring. And I also think that the shape/length of the nail comes into play, long and pointy nails painted black all summer might seem kind of severe even when worn with a sundress, but maybe that is just my aversion to that shape on me (I'm much more of a short and squoval kind of girl). A dark nail with cute summery clothes is kind of a nice an unexpected pairing in my opinion.

p.s. I absolutely love pastel purples, it is next on my list for 'to buy colors'
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #6  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

I like bright colors like hot pink, and greens and yellows. Summer-y colors!
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #7  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

Traditionally, white and light colors are for warm seasons, and black and dark colors are for cold seasons. The science behind this is that dark colors absorb heat, while light colors repel it. That's why snow on a black roof will melt faster than snow on a white roof, but then a white-roofed house is cooler in summer.

Fashion-wise, however, wear what you want. We have indoor climate control nowadays.

I must keep my nails short. They grow funny, and if they get any length at all to them, they start curving straight down. I do a lot with my hands, and having nails that want to loop right over the tops of my fingers just gets in the way. So I have to keep them trimmed to no longer than fingertip length, preferably shorter. In practice, whenever I start seeing a white tip, I trim. Therefore dark colors wouldn't look right. I go for a neutral beige-pink (not unlike the background color in my avatar pic, but a bit lighter) that doesn't stand out and would work no matter what I'm wearing or what season it is.

I do envy women who can grow long nails and wear dark reds, purples, and blacks. I'm just not one of them.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 04-08-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: details
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/195/135

Height: 5'4

Another vote for wearing whatever you want, though I only ever paint my toes. There is a gunmetal/mint color that I am dying to try though I can't justify buying yet another bottle that will never be used more than a handful of times. Oh well.
ricepapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #9  

Nude or sand colors like Mac's Abalone Shell are the "in" shades this year. Supposedly they make your fingers look longer. Personally, I go with whatever I like at the moment. Right now I'm into cherry reds on short nails or pearl when my nails are longer.
FeliciaHingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:13 AM   #10  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeliciaHingston View Post
Nude or sand colors like Mac's Abalone Shell are the "in" shades this year. Supposedly they make your fingers look longer. Personally, I go with whatever I like at the moment. Right now I'm into cherry reds on short nails or pearl when my nails are longer.
Reminds me. My mother had a strict rule, I couldn't wear red nail polish until I turned 16. I was allowed to wear any other shade, but not red. I never could figure out what was so magical about the age of 16 and red nail polish, but that's the way it was. From about 12 on, I was always dying to paint my nails red, and I'd wear the closest shades to it that she would allow.

Until pretty much the very day I turned 16. Then all of a sudden I hated red nail polish. Still do.

Forbidden fruit?

And, if anyone knows, what IS the deal about having to be exactly 16 in order to wear red nail polish?

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 04-09-2010 at 02:14 AM.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #11  
Amazing will be me

Thumbs up

yeha blacks deff in ........i have applied it for my night out tonight.
I also love red its a classic that never goes out of fashion.
Also pale pastel colours that can go with any outfit
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #12  

I wear dark colors all year. Occassionally, I might pick up a pastel or a light neutral color, but then it just doesn't look right to me. I love charcoal colors, or a blackish red, purple or blue. Not true black because I like a hint of a color in with the black. My favorite's are OPI's Midnight in Moscow (a deep black/red) and Baby it's coal outside (a charcoal with a subtle glimmer).

I also love blues! My older sister always says "but those aren't natural colors." Like we are born with red, flamingo pink and coral color nails? lol. Any color is not natural I tell her and wear what I want. As long as I keep them smooth and filed no one has ever commented on the colors being unseasonable. Wear what makes you happy.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #13  
It is what it is...

I am a nail polish freak ! love it ! I traditionally try and wear darker colors in the winter and more summer colors ( pink, greens, lavender etc ) in the spring and summer ...now with that being said right now I have on a OPI color I just bought called "Yoga ta get this blue" it is a beautiful navy blue color, I read in a fashion magazine that dark blue is a trendy color right now that looks good on fair skin ( I am very fair ) ...and I adore this color ...check it out if you like dark colors ...this one is something that you could wear year round ...
Carri
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I tend to stick with light colors lately, I'm loving the Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Nail Polish in Pink Slip. It lasts nearly a week without chipping and the color is so girly and sweet. If I want a brighter color that I don't see myself using much I tend to go to Sally Beauty Supply and get their small nail polish bottles, and that way I can try out a few shades of nice quality polish for the price of one of the bigger expensive ones. They make great little pick me up gifts for friends too.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #15  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I too wear darker colors in winter and love light, clean looks for spring and summer. Right now I have the french manicure look with the white tips on toes and fingers.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote