Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #46  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

Let me ask another question (sorry for so many questions!) The DDDD cup also seems a tad too big - the very top portin of the cup doesn't really sit completely flat against the top of my breast - should the cup lay completely flat, or should it have a little bit of give? It's about enough that I can fit 2 fingers in at the top with room to spare. Maybe I'm a DDD? I think I will try on a different size cup also tonight when I go back.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

What you will find is that sometimes we are inbetween a cup size. For instance, I wear a DD, but I am a smaller DD. A regular D is too small though, and I get cup spillage, and the center of the bra (between the breasts) doesn't sit up next to my skin.

So, I have to wear a DD for a better fit.

Try the 36, and see how that works. Also, since the cups in the 36 will be a *tad* wider, try both the 36DDDD, and the 36DDD, and see which cup fits you best.

Let us know how you do!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Amy, yup ... they're my not-so-little secret.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #49  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

Update - I went back to Nordstrom today to return the 34DDDD bras and get different ones. (BTW - by the end of the day, my skin was all red and raw from where my new bra was pinching and rubbing all day). I tried on both 36DDD bras and 36DDDD bras. I settled on the 36DDD bras - I still feel like DDD is a little big, but the DD was a little small. The 36 feels much better - snug but not pinching. I also got 90 bucks back on my CC - chose some cheaper (still over $50 each) bras this time. I think they will be more my size but still snug enough to make me look better in my clothes. I'm glad they let me exchange them since I took the tags off of two of the bras. I swear, buying bras is so time consuming, but unfortunately not wearing a bra is not really an option.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #50  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi All -

Quick question - is it possible to get a supportive front closure bra if you are larger on top? At Nordstrom they measured me as a 38DD, although the fitter mentioned that the particular brand of bra I bought runs small. The bras I bought there make me look great in front but I have a really hard time hooking them in back plus I have major "back fat" issues. What good is it to look great from the front if you look horrid from the back??

Thanks!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #51  

If you have a hard time hooking them from the back, put them on like I do.

I basically put the bra around me, with the hooks in the front, fasten them, and then turn the bra around the right way...putting my breasts in and pulling the straps on last.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #52  

Quote:
I basically put the bra around me, with the hooks in the front, fasten them, and then turn the bra around the right way...putting my breasts in and pulling the straps on last.
I grew up thinking EVERYONE put their bras on like that until Sr. high PE when one of the basketball girls we shared a locker room with actually made fun of another girl for doing it.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #53  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Thanks, aphil! It's really funny. I just commented to my husband the other day that it's too bad I can't put the bra on backwards! I'll have to try that.

I read that if you have a lot of "flesh" squishing over the band on the side/back, you should be wearing the band lower on your back. I assume you do this by making the straps longer?? I tried it and it works but I don't feel my breasts are as well supported.

So complicated!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
If you have a hard time hooking them from the back, put them on like I do.

I have ALWAYS put it on that way - even when I was at 135 lbs.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #55  

I have never put my bras on any other way...why reach your arms around your back and try to hook blindly when you don't have to?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:31 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm a blind back hooker ... sorry, couldn't resist that.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:08 AM   #57  
Ashley

Height: 5'8"

This is a great thread and I'm so glad I found it. I went to the store a couple of months ago determined to try on bras forever until I finally found one that really fit. After years of wearing a 42D, I'm now wearing a 38DD and it actually fits! Wish I'd known there was such a thing as a bra fitter.
Ashley103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #58  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

I have a question on this... I know it can be answered by going for a fitting but I just don't have the $$ for a bra right now (especially at bra store prices) and feel uncomfortable getting fitted when my bras are obviously too big (yay! a NSV) and not buying anything.

Before much of this weight gain I was a 34F. I have one 34F that is still in good shape, but the cups pucker at the top - suggesting they are too big. However, the central underwire also pulls away from my chest a little - suggesting they are too small. ???
I am confused as to the problem. I know my 36 band bras (that were fitted at my higher weight) are too big, they don't stay in one place on my chest, the 34 does. The 36's also poke me under the arm - suggesting the cups are too wide. I'm just not sure what to think about my current bra. It's comfortable and supportive but I can't wear a fitted shirt because the central underwire pokes forward a little between my breasts.

Ideas anyone? I do plan to treat myself to new bras in a couple of months but with school starting for the boys (and hockey, swimming etc.) it's not a possibility at the moment.

Jax

Last edited by jaxjob; 09-14-2007 at 08:20 AM.
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #59  

Are you asking if there is something that can be done with the bra that you currently own? Because, other than getting a new bra that actually fits you...there is really nothing that you can do with the one that you have.

I do seamstressing...and there is no way I would perform an "operation" on a bra...too many pieces, too much hassle.

Really, just getting a new bra is the only thing that you can do. I would like to comment, that sometimes even if you are fitted, and have the correct size-that you always go in and try on different brands and styles IN that size. The reason is because some are going to fit, and look better than others. Some bras have wider straps, some thinner, some have underwire, some soft cup, and many variations in that...there are lots of choices-and what looks and feels good on Mary won't be the same for Sue. I, for one, cannot wear soft cup. I have to have underwire...while other women hate underwire.

As far as the cups puckering, and the underwire not being flush against your chest...have you actually measured your ribcage with a tape measure? It sounds like it could be a couple things.

Are you "adjusting" your breasts into the cup after you get it on? Once the bra is on, adjust your breast tissue upward in the cup a bit, so that the bottom falls flush to the skin, and the tissue fills out the top of the cup more.

How old is this bra, and has it been machine dried? It could be that the elastic and band is worn out, and not fitting as snug as it should...so that the breast tissue is not supported as well-coming out the bottom, and not filling up the cup as it should up top.

It could be that it is simply the wrong size. Just because we were one size before we gained weight, it doesn't mean that we will still be that exact size when we return to that weight again.

Bra fittings are free if you go into a lingerie store...the best thing you can do is get fitted, and then buy the right size when you can.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #60  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks aphil - I know I need to get fitted - I'm just an info junkie who is wondering what is wrong. No I don't plan to try to resew my bra , just thinking about which way I should be looking when I get another. The bra store here is OK, but one of the fitters isn't great - after measuring me she brought me a bra that was way too big, and kept bringing me bigger ones even though they were obviously too loose in the band. I think it was because she didn't have a huge stock in my size. So I was wondering which way to start looking.

I do adjust myself into the cups but they readjust themselves during the day. I don't dry my bras in the machine and do hand wash them most of the time, and always in cold water (I do all my laundry in cold water). It's probably just old and/or not the right fit anymore. I was more looking for ideas than anything else.

Thanks!
Jax
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote