Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Went up on calories, was it a mistake?!!

Hi, posted this in calorie counters, but someone suggested asking those on this forum as well for additional advice, so here goes...

Hi,

I posted a while ago about wondering if it was unusual to need to eat less than 1300 calories per day in order to maintain. Several people suggested that I go up slowly on my calories and see what happened. Well, previously I was eating around 1150-1300 calories per day, and I've increased to 1250-1500 calories per day over the last couple of weeks (average probably 1300-1350), and I've consistently gained 0.1-0.2 pounds per day.

I really wanted to eat what is considered a healthy amount of calories. I'm not hungry, and I feel like I'm eating enough, but the numbers seem to counteract that thought. Would people recommend that I go back down, or do you think the scale might stop moving up...soon?

I'm still exercising (high impact aerobics) for 45 minutes to an hour 4 days per week.

Thanks for any help you can provide! All comments welcome.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #2  

Are you doing any weight training? I weigh about the same as you do and I'm the same height and I eat on average around 2K/day. But I do both weight training and aerobics which seems to help maintain my weight.
You might want to try alternating calories, higher one day, lower the next. That's how I moved my calories from 'dieting' range of 1500 to my current level. Then again, if I ate 1100 calories I'd be STARVING. Everyone is different. Might also be water weight, I'd personally try the alternating for a bit longer and see if things stabilize.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you continue to gain with exercise in this calorie range, you might consider getting your thyroid checked, because even though everyone's metabolism is different, this seems on the extreme low side.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Thyroid ok. I don't do weight training specifically, though I do things like crunches/sit-ups/some push-ups several times per week. Also, I do occasional yoga or pilates. I don't do weights because I'm happy with how my body looks now, and I really don't want to be any more toned than I am now. I have a naturally athletic build.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:28 PM   #5  
Mel

If you want to eat more, I think your only alternative is either more cardio (I'd suggest some NON-IMPACT) or some serious weight training. Even through you are happy with the way your body looks now, muscle really is your friend. Weight training is NOT going to turn you into a muscle-bound she-man. If it were that easy, we'd all look ripped and have a six pack.

You should be able to eat more, but we are all an experiment of one. I maintain on about 1400 calories with heavy weight training 4 days a week and cardio 4-5 days a week. I lose on about 1250. I'm about your goal weight, 5'2" and a 1/2 and 52 years old. I suspect you're a lot younger which should work in your favor.

On the other hand, be glad that you aren't hungry! I'm always starving!

Another thought- what types of foods are you eating?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote