Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #16  

Default Good children--bad gifts

Many of you might know I am a 6th grade teacher (it's a new career for me, and I'm very happy in it). So far this year, I have received candy, cookies, brownies and English toffee from some generous students. I shared the cookies (1 per person) with husband and kids, brought the rest to a conference. Brought all the candy and brownies elsewhere. The toffee is still in its box. Argh! I appreciate the thoughtfulness, but I hate being given food!

On the other hand, my MIL gave me/us a great book on vegetarian cooking with an emphasis on bold flavors and interesting sauces and marinades. I'm looking forward to trying some new things.

I am behind on my exercise schedule, but should be back in the swing by Friday morning.

I hope the evil food gifts are ending soon.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:53 PM   #17  
Working My Way Back Down

I'm not a list maker, or frankly any kind of "on paper" organizer. I can't tell you how many times I have resolved to gain this habit or the number of yearly trackers and even a PDA I have tried. Sigh. But short term I've been making myself a weekly list, or maybe more correctly, a plan for exercise. (I probably need to get back to planning my food too, but one thing at a time, and baby steps works best for me.) I was able to complete it last week, and am on track this week.

And yum on the vegetarian cookbook Elana, what's it called?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:02 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I hear ya, Elana! People want to feed nurses too.

I was ousted from my bed way too early this morning with a headache. I hardly ever get them any more and was a tad disconcerted with this one. It seems better after a couple of black coffees and some ibuprofen, so I think I'll quietly knit for a while. Maybe later I'll get at some exercising.

I did complete my list from yesterday but don't have one for today yet.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:58 AM   #19  
Running Babe

I need to stop procrastinating and make my lists!!!

Anyway I have been going nuts lately (too many pistachio's). Asides from that, my eating has been so-so, I haven't been able to exercise as much (I work 2 jobs and have worked my second job for 6 days in a row) as I would like, my eye is being very bothersome and I have to go to an optomitrist and maybe an opthomologist grrr, I have bought 1 present thus far, and my parents are moving this weekend.....arrrrrgghhh...

Anyway I hope everyone else is doing okay!

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:00 PM   #20  

WaterRat,

I can give you advice on how to stick to exercise. I am like you, I still can not log what I eat, but I usually know how much I exercise. It all started with my kids activities, where my principle - if you enrolled for 1 year of soccer - you better do not miss practises or games unless you are sick or on vacation. Saying that and having 3 kids put my life into structured system - Monday is yoga nd weight training, Tuesday is soccer practise for my daughter when I go to the gym, Wednesday i run during lunch, Thursday is day off or swim if I want to (freedom???), Friday run during lunch, Saturday and Sunday is running with dog. I also started to schedule gym in my outlook during lunch - that was reminder pops up and I have to go. I always tell myself - if I expect my kids to not skip practices, I have to be an example. So far it is working for my during last 2 years. I even organized running club at work, I am the only member who was there at the beginning, and I NEVER skipped a run unless I was sick. Try it and hopefully it will work for you.

I am still figuring out how to be accountable for my food, but as you say, one at a time... Plus I am not gaining recently, so hopefully keeping track on exercise is going to make it.

Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:17 PM   #21  

I like your attitude towards excercise Sashenka! Although I'm not as regimented as you are, I do the same thing, scheduling my workouts in my outlook at work. Then I syncronize my outlook with my blackberry device which I wear everywhere but to bed! (I'm on call pretty much always). When its time to workout, my hip buzzes ! If something comes up where I can't make my scheduled workout, I just find a new time slot to move it to. I almost never miss one, unless I'm just too sick.

I figure that working out is like going to work or my morning shower or getting my oil changed. I might not always feel like it but it's just something that has to get done. Actually, I find it is mostly just getting there. Once I start the workout, I'm almost always glad I went and feel better afterwards.
talks2flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:37 PM   #22  

Height: 5'7"

Just a quick update as I start lap #2 of the country in less than a week. First trip: had a great first day of travel, ok second, and really awful 3rd as the time zone hopping, fatigue, COLD (how do you northern people do it??), and irregular meals caught up to me. Had an apple, carrots, & a sports bar with me but went for the chocolate instead. Then had a total meltdown on some pizza and ice cream tonight at home. Lesson: when the stress is over the danger isn't. Oh well. I did get my 7 mile run in on a hotel treadmill on Tues--talk about feeling like a gerbil on a wheel. Much much harder than running outside!

Getting up tomorrow at 4:30 to head for my folk's house for a long weekend. I'm working on visualizing. I'm probably not going to be perfect, but I'm going to do OK, and have some fun.

Have only had a chance to skim the forum--I'll catch up properly next week, but just wanted to say hi. I think I have to go pass out now. ZZzzzzzzzzzz..........
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #23  

Last night I went to an organized potluck. I brought the main course. I made absolutely succulent, tender flavorful ravioli in a very rich tasting sauce. They were a big hit. And they were low fat! No one could ever have guessed they were eating 'diet food'! Too bad everything else wasnt as low cal LOL.

There are more treacherous days approaching. I hope everyone is able to do what they want food/eating/exercise-wise, and have a nice holiday season in every way as well. I've got 3 more parties - one of which might be very calorically dangerous, then Christmas eve and Christmas day, my bd, and new years all in the next 2 weeks. egads. I am planning to have seasonal fun every minute possible. I do love this time of year. Its not been all that bad eating-wise thus far, but I have to keep reminding myself where I want to be to start the new year. I follow each day when more is consumed with as many days as possible with less consumed, and the scale is rewarding me.

Stay alert. Be aware. Dont take anything for granted.

Jan
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:16 AM   #24  
Meg

Jan – belated congratulations on reaching your 199 goal! That was a HUGE milestone in my weight loss. I lived, breathed, and fantasized that number for weeks before it finally happened and when it did, I felt like I was finally getting to ‘normal’, if that makes any sense. I still had a long way to go, of course, but there was such a divide in my head between numbers that started with '2' and those that started with '1'. It was the same thing when I was able to buy something in the misses department for the first time, even though it was an XL. It didn’t matter that it was still big enough to fit a family of four – it was a regular size, by golly, and that’s all I cared about! I don’t think I’ll ever forget the wonder and joy of those moments and I hope you treasure them too.

Like Susan said earlier in the week, it’s Crunch Time and I hit a bit of a bad spot last night – arghh – after a really good week. I know exactly what went wrong - I was tired and should have bailed out and just gone to bed early. But I started picking and picking at the goodies that are in the house for the holidays …and one bite never is enough for me. It’s that first bite that gets me into trouble. OK, it’s over and done with and onto a new day. I’m planning on my usual hour of cardio this AM and a spinning class this afternoon, so hopefully that will burn off a few of the excess calories.

Brenda – glad to see you posting! No snow in Minnesota?? DS and DD are both driving home for the holidays this weekend – one from NM and one from FL – and I’m hoping we stay snow-free until everyone’s safe and sound at home.

We’re going to be a three-cat house – or should I say circus? – once DD’s cat arrives home with her. He’s been here before (though not with the new kitten) and I’m hoping the cat dynamic sorts itself out without too much trauma. The one I’m worried about is our 13 year old pacifist – the kitten’s small enough that she can’t do much more than annoy him when she pounces on his tail but DD’s cat is a big boy. I’ll need to keep an eye on who’s chasing who and see if we need separate quarters at first. Our tree is going up this weekend and I predict we’ll have a kitten in the top of it within the first five minutes. Hopefully DD’s cat will realize that he’s a too big to climb it this year (his favorite stunt last year) or else it’s going to topple.

Good for you for stopping at two cookies, Ilene! How’s your dad doing now? They’re not kidding when they call us the sandwich generation, are they? Taking care of parents AND kids and we’re stuck right there in the middle.

How’s the shoulder doing, Mel?

Elana - I've been sooo guilty of the bad gifts myself in the past ! It's just too easy to give food, you know? No more! I don't give food to anyone unless I'm positive it's something that they like and want.

Best of luck for all of you with parties left to deal with. My biggest challenge will be having my MIL and SIL here next week for Christmas. Two kids home from college, three cats, a MIL and SIL. It’s gonna be around here! I’ll heed the wise words of our Robin and breathe and wait … and remember that in the end, cookies make me feel worse, not better.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:50 AM   #25  

I may spend the holidays in my office, where there is no furniture; no phones,and no food. We're recarpeting, and everything had to be moved out. Whew...what a job! I gave everyone an extra day off -- can't work without computers -- and I'm here by myself, using the laptop and answering the one phone that's still hooked up. It's very peaceful. Do you suppose we could just keep it this way?

I hadn't realized what an oasis this was foodwise until I went to one of the big administrative offices yesterday. Good grief, there was food everywhere. Bags, bowls boxes of stuff. It all LOOKS intoxicating, which is odd since I KNOW that most of it isn't even that good. I beat a hasty retreat!

It's great to read everyone's exercise activities. Congratulations to each and every one of us! If we can all just stay on course, we can undo an awful lot of food damage, and if nothing else, it will help keep our spirits up. And remember: something is better than nothing. If you don't make it to the gym, as planned, but you can squeeze in a walk, go for it! If you're coming unhinged (ah, those family gatherings), do a little yoga, or just stretch out. If all else fails, take a warm bath.

Oh oh ... now they even want my desk ... gotta run chickies. Hugs to all.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:07 PM   #26  
Mel

Thank heavens no one brings trays of goodies to the gym! so far all the '"trainer's gifts" I've been given have been much appreciated gift certificates rather than edibles. I did notice that my boss'es office is filling up with bottles (and they aren't water!), but my clients seem to know I'd rather go shopping

Today I got in a full body workout. Had to go much lighter on upper body than usual to baby my still sore bicep tendon, but managed a decent workout. Will do some cardio later this afternoon.

Tonight we are headed to our neighborhood party which is usually a food fest of not so good food and way too much alcohol. This year it's going to be appetizers and desserts only, with a cash bar. I'll go armed with a water bottle and just avoid the bar- I have a new client at 9 am tomorrow and don't want to sound like too much of an idiot If I eat before we go I should be fine with the food. A nibble or two won't hurt, as long as I don't get in the mindset the "I PAID the same amount as people scarfing down entire trays of food, so I should get my money's worth!"

Jan- Congratulations
Ali- I'm in procrastination mode too. Actually, not so much procrastinating as totally swamped and overwhelmed. I just got Chanuka gifts for the Jewish 1/2 of the family, and it was over at the beginning of this week

This is my first Christmas without both my kids home- dd is in Europe having a great time, but I'm already missing her and seeing the end of "family" times. I need a kitten.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #27  
Ilene the Bean

Hey girls (I like the new smilies)

Anne ~~
Quote:
I did get my 7 mile run in on a hotel treadmill on Tues--talk about feeling like a gerbil on a wheel. Much much harder than running outside!
Ain't THAT the truth... Yesterday and the day before, I jogged outside, my first time in the snow, but it was soooooo sunny and beautiful out I just had to try it... and I absolutely LOVED it!! And the time just flew!! The first day I did almost 5k. The second day I did 6k, although I didn't realise it at the time because I go out and measure it afterwards with the car, I was amazed I went that far! On the 'gerbil', 5k feels like forever!! ....

Mel ~~ Go to the shelter get a kitty!!

Jan ~~ CONGRATS on the 199, you are an inspiration, keep up the great work...
Quote:
I follow each day when more is consumed with as many days as possible with less consumed, and the scale is rewarding me.
What a great way of saying it ... I will have to remember it for the next couple of days that will be quieter because I had an AWFUL morning with CWAP at work this morning..... These gifts of food are driving me ... When I got home with it I set the boxes and tins on the kitchen table open, didn't touch a one, cause I'm sick of them, then when the kids arrived from school they jumped in it hehehehe, with a glass of milk...I'm please with that strategy....Now I hope when I go back downstairs that all will be gone!

Robin ~~ I love your posts they are very inspiring to me these days....

Well I have to go do something productive, I'm not sure what though so TTFN...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 11:23 PM   #28  

Thanks for the kind words. I do love being back in the 'ones'.

I am absolutely exhausted right now. Its been a full, long day. Going to go to bed really early tonight and catch some good Zzzz's. Of note: There has been an eagle hanging out in my neighborhood. Not sure what kind, either bald or golden. Its an immature. Eagles do not normally live here. rodents, beware....

I was able to order 3 books from the public library, and I picked them up today. ONe is 'Eating Thin for LIfe', and from just glancing at it, I like it. Too many recipes, but the first part looks promising. A very good section in there for eating large.

Another that looks very good is 'Fit from Within'. It is filled with many very short chapters. It has the same gentle flavor of some of the writings of Geneen Roth. It seems to fit right in with what I want to do for myself.

The third is the Zen of EAting. Havent really looked at this one yet.

Is anyone buying any special gifts just for themselves this year? Most years I get myself something nice, but dont have anything in mind for this year... yet. Getting a vita-mix is too $$$. While I love this time of year, I always feel as though I deserve something nice for making it thru parts of the season, LOL.

Speaking of which, Good luck with all the family encounters going on out there. From the outside most look wonderful, but alas some of us find meeting with some members of our extended family of origin can be anything but 'merry' (controlling behavior, alcoholism, abuse, hurt feelings, bitterness, etc). A very good friend of mine is a family therapist and from Thanksgiving thru Christmas her practice absolutely explodes with people needing help after encounters with their relatives. If this is you, know you are not alone.

Lets put the 'fun' back into dys'fun'ctional. Happy Holidays, :snf:

Jan, who sometimes prefers cats to relatives.
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 11:01 AM   #29  

Nope, still no snow but lots of really, really cold weather (highs in the single digits from here on out for a few days). I don't mind winter if I can get out in the snow and play. But when there's a) no snow or b) temps too cold to safely be out in it, it's too easy to sit in the house and do nothing. Then all of those tempting "comfort foods" start calling and there's time to make them and... But I am stronger than fresh bread! :-)

Great advice Jan about the family stuff. It's easy to forget that we're not in this alone.

I'm debating on the special gift thing. Last year I picked out a suede skirt and leather boots that dh & the kids then bought me for Christmas. Now I need to get the skirt taken in. :-( I'm kind of thinking that I'll wait until after next Saturday and see what shows up on the clearance racks & shelves. I've been thinking about taking the "Thin for Life" exercises one further and making a list of special things I'd like. Seriously, you don't have to tell me twice to make lists! LOL

Be good to yourselves!
Brenda
mom2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 12:53 PM   #30  

Hi everyone and Happy Saturday December commencement ended just over an hour ago, and I have two delicious weeks of vacation stretching out before me. Oh how I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this break. My office is one that slows down this time of year, and I've always been able to take two weeks off. We rarely travel, and I almost always putter. If nothing else, I get everything in order to file my taxes, because when tax time rolls around, I'm usually up to my kneecaps in Commencement.

I'm especially excited about this break because I have new office furniture and file cabinets, and I'm going to set them up and reorganize myself. Just as I've been clearing out my mental clutter, so do I want to clean out my closets. Although others might look askance at my definition of "good time," I can hardly wait.

Jan, I'm exceedingly interested to hear your reaction to the Zen of Eating. It's on my list. If it's even close to Fit From Within, I'll grab it. And belated congrats on the Ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skimming through this week's post, I notice that Anne said, "Lesson: when the stress is over the danger isn't." Isn't that the truth -- and it took me a long time to realize it. In the past, I've shored up my resolve, set my mind and sailed through any number of food danger homes, only to collapse afterward and become a human Hoover. Sometimes the meltdown happened in as little as 24 hours; other times, it took several days -- long enough that I didn't always connect the dots.

Not this time. This time I'm going to focus on staying calm, enjying the holiday and having the occasional treat. When we go to my MIL's for Christmas Day, I'm going to have a little of everything. And then I'm going to return to my usual routine.

Here's something for you to think about: have any of you ever noticed that you breathe very little when you eat? And when you do breathe, it's very shallow? Do you know what happens when you put down your fork and take a couple of deep breaths? If you're sitting in my seat, you calm down and become aware of the peace that's always within you. Then, you can actually *feel* your insides, and you can tell if you're getting full. (I've always been afraid that my "full switch" was broken; now I'm realizing that it was just hard to find.) And you know what happens when you realize you're getting full ... you stop eating. And you're satisfied!

Good golly Miss Molly. It's a miracle. Actually, it's a tiny time out. By any name, it sure is sweet. I recommend it highly.

And on that happy note, I need to start tearing my office apart to make room for the new furniture. Talk to you later chickies!
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote