Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-11-2004, 10:48 AM   #1  

Question Hello! New here and need help...please

I really enjoy this forum since it is educational, supportive and offers great ideas I have been here several times just reading some topics and learning. Now though I come here in need of help. I have been getting really discouraged in losing weight.

I admit I was a yo-yo dieter, but I am now trying to maintain a more permanent healthy way of life. I have been dieting since I was 20. However, losing weight now seems to be extremely slow. I understand our metabolism changes as we get older, but this is just ridiciulous. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong

I am 27 years old and need to lose 15-20 pounds. I have tried many different diets, but this time around I have been simply watching my calorie, sugar and fat intake. I have started this a month ago. I also have increased much of my activity by doing high-intensity aerobics everyday. I also do low-intensity exercises like walking on other days mixed in. I have been doing other activites like swimming and badminton. Finally, I have also been strength training. This has been going on for four weeks and yet I haven't lost a single pound! I am beginning to wonder what is the point in me sweating, having constantly sore muscles and watching what I eat when nothing seems to be happening. Sorry for my ranting But I just had to talk to someone. Thanks!!
Celes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:38 PM   #2  
Mel

Hi
It doesn't sound to me like you are doing anything wrong, and as for being "older", well, 27 is not older

If you've added weight training, you are probably building muscle which weighs more than fat. So you may be losing body fat and gaining muscle, which is why the scale is not moving. Are your clothes getting looser? Are you starting to see muscles where there was flab, before? Also, if you are doing all that much exercise, make sure you are eating enough and enough protein in particular, and frequently enough so that your body is not frantically hanging onto fat for dear life. Most of us have found that eating 5-6 smaller meals a day and drinking lots of water helps the fat come off easier. Try to not only get the sugar out of your diet, but all the "white stuff" as well. Substitute complex carbs for simple carbs, lean protein instead of fatty. If you want to post some sample menus I'm sure you'd get a lot of feedback.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:28 AM   #3  
Head Princess

Let me just add here that there is more to life than a scale. If you haven't already, take your measurements. You can lose inches without losing pounds (that fat/muscle thing again). How do your clothes fit? How are your arms, legs, abs, etc looking? Is there more muscle definition? Are you stronger? There are dozens of ways to measure success, don't rely on just one
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:09 AM   #4  

> So you may be losing body fat and gaining muscle, which is why the scale is not moving. <

That explains it!
And thank you about the concept of the protein in-take. I didn't consider that. And I do have to drink more water. Thanks for all of the information

Thank you, Starprincess, about taking measurements. I do get obsessed with the scale and I have not at all took any measurements

Well, I am scared to try on my clothes, but I am seeing my muscles toning. My husband says he sees it too. It is a slow process, but I am hoping that this new muscle growth would burn up more calories...at least that is what I keep hearing from others.

Yes, I am getting stronger...more endurance. Hey, I never really thought about it like that. So I am actually benefitting. Thanks!!

I don't feel so let down now with my body. Keep up the good work here!
Old 07-13-2004, 09:13 AM   #5  

Okay, I went and tried on the clothes I used to fit into in Feburary and I can't get those jeans past my thighs And some shirts are tight on me. As I said before, I see some muscle definition, but it has been a month and I haven't lost inches. I am so confused. I think I might be doing the diet wrong though I thought the amount of exercise would still burn enough calories for me to see something lost. Can anyone direct me to a topic that is really educational for me to learn more on the correct ways of dieting? Or does anyone know a good diet? Should I do weight watchers? What worked for you guys? *so curious and need of help*
Old 07-13-2004, 09:45 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Celes --

Sounds like you are fretting too much... Relax and enjoy the process... If you are eating properly, meaning enough protein, just enough carbs, your water is good, you stick with unprocessed clean foods, your exercising is at an intense level, EVENTUALLY it will come together... Key word sometimes is PATIENCE!

Just a small recommendation here... Take the word "diet" out of your vocabulary... Diet, IMHO, means a beginning and an end to a means...Healthy eating is a "lifestyle" and is forever... Doesn't mean that you can't have treats occasionally, once/week or so...

As maintainers we know that once we reach goal nothing much changes, we have to keep exercising and eating clean 99% of the time to stay where we're at...

Just my 2 cents...TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:02 AM   #7  

Hello Lanaii1! You are right. I just need to be more patient and stop the fretting LOL
It is just that it was so easy to lose my weight in the past--so quickly. So I got a bit worry if I am doing the process right. They say that if you exercise everyday, you should lose a pound a week. Sure
Thank you for bringing me down to the ground
Old 07-25-2004, 11:04 PM   #8  

I'm curious as to how much you are eating. It is possible to create such a large calorie deficit that your body thinks there is a famine on and metabolism slows down to preserve fat stores. That's not to say that's what's going on with you necessarily, but it's something to be aware of. You have a yo-yo dieting history (which also slows metabolism) and are exercising a LOT. It's terrific you are doing so much exercise, that's good for your health in a million ways besides weight loss. However, if you're not eating enough to support that exercise, you can get the opposite effect from what you want.

You might go to the website www.room42.com and calculate what your metabolism SHOULD be for your age, gender, height, and activity level. The site will give you a Basal Metabolism Rate and an Active Metabolism rate. Despite what this site will tell you, you should never eat LESS than your BMR. So, pulling some numbers out of thin air, let's say the site says your BMR is 1450 and your AMR is 1800. If you cut your calories by 250 from your AMR (or 1550), that will allow you to lose 1 pound per week if your metabolism is absolutely normal, and still protect that metabolism. If your metabolism has been depressed, then eating 1550 per day will help it heal and bounce back. You may experience additional scale stalls, or even a gain, while this happens, but after a while the scale will start dropping.

P.S. Also, make sure you are getting one full day of rest per week, with no heart-elevating exercise. Not getting enough rest can put you in overtraining mode which will also interfere with metabolism and weight loss.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:11 AM   #9  

I was reading a magazine the other day ... they had an interview with a personal trainer to the celebs and he said that the biggest mistake people make is giving up too early! It takes some time to reverse the effects of bad habits, and I myself went for nearly six weeks with doodily squat to go on! But now, it's finally trickling off ...
goeatanapple is offline   Reply With Quote