Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-17-2004, 09:13 PM   #16  
Old Cackler

oh chris... i'm going to adopt that 'making loving food choices' idea!!! thank you!!! i just got back from a baby shower, where there was a HUGE amount of lovely nibbly things. and i wasn't especially 'loving' with my choices, although i enjoyed them.

and now, i'm protein-deprived and probably heading for the kitchen before bed. i can choose to eat some turkey, cheese, roast beef, chicken. or a protein shake. which would be the best??? with the calories i've eaten, the most loving choice is probably the protein shake... we'll seee what's what when the time comes...

thank you thank you thank youl...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:46 PM   #17  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeatanapple
Personally, I think that the direction that his research is heading is a load of bull. 50 years ago, we had the same genes and where were the fat people?
The funny thing about genetics is that human DNA has not changed its essential forms in 1000's of years. The human body is the same now as it was then. What has changed is our culture, society and way of life. This is what is causing obesity. Our body is hardwired to crave fat because way back when we needed it for survival. Now a great many people no longer have to depend on our body fat to survive but our body does not know this, it still wants fat and wants to hang onto every fat cell in our body.

Also I want to comment on researchers and their studies. A lot of the time their studies are done on small groups and when they come to some conclusion it is broadcast to the world as if it were carved in stone. They may 'dumb' the language down so that the average person can understand it and/or not release some of their findings because they don't think we will understand it. When these people have done studies over decades on 1000's of people then maybe, just maybe I will believe it.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:24 AM   #18  

Fascinating thread! Really got me thinking.

An idea that popped into my head while reading all this that the reduced obese are a bit like those who have recovered from anorexia.
In the sense that we have distorted our eating behaviour to such an extent, and for such a long period of time, that it will take years to get over both the mental and physical effects. To retrain our bodies as to what it needs.

I took this quote from a website on anorexia:
“The longer abnormal eating behaviors persist, the more difficult it is to overcome the disorder and its effects on the body.”

I know personally, that I overate because of emotional reasons. I ate to numb pain, alleviate stress etc.
It had nothing to do with physical hunger or listening to what my body needs.
I’m like some of you in that I don’t always feel full when I really am, but because my eating patterns were out of whack for such a long time, I now have to retrain my body as to what it really needs. This is probably going to take a long time – but I’m sure it will get easier as time goes by.
As has already been said – it all comes down to choices.

The figures I’ve heard bandied about are that 5% of people who lose a lot of weight will keep it off long term. IF this is true, are there any studies on why that 5% were successful, when the rest weren’t? Thanks to this forum I’m now aware of, and bought yesterday, Thin for Life which I’m looking forward to reading.
Are there any other studies of successful long term slimmers? And if not, why not?
mennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:45 PM   #19  
Mel

Menne- see Meg's sticky on the National Weightloss Registry at the top of this forum. Some of us here are members. They are doing longitudinal studies of people who have lost at least 35(I think) pounds and how those people deal with food at various times.
So maybe there will be a lot more documented information on a statistically valid population in the future.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:59 AM   #20  
Meg

On the subject of the importance of believing that we control our destiny with regard to our weight -- I came across a book excerpt on the Good Morning America web site that I want to pass along. http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/H...tml?GMAad=true It's from "Flip The Switch" by Jim Karas and it's way too long to copy over here in its entirety but here are two key excerpts that relate to our discussions:
Quote:
... approaching the complicated task of weight loss requires more than a hot, trendy diet or a celebrity endorsed exercise program. This process must begin with you first believing in your ability to succeed. You can allow fear and doubt to enter your mind, but you cannot let them take control.
Quote:
Jane Ogden, Ph.D., a health psychologist at Guys Kings and St. Thomas' School of Medicine in London, studied groups of women, those who successfully lost weight and kept it off and those who didn't. She found two interesting points. First, the women who believed their weight problem was a function of their behavior, as in their eating and exercise habits, and not a result of external factors such as genes or metabolism, were "more successful at losing pounds because they believed that they were in control of their weight — and, therefore, believed they could lose weight." So, if you first take responsibility and believe that your behavior has led you to be overweight, then, if you believe that it is in your power to change that behavior, you can succeed. Second, she found that "once you believe weight loss success is possible, you'll feel less intimidated by challenges you encounter along the way."
(the emphasis added in both quotes is mine)

Both these quotes illustrate the point that we have to believe that we control our weight in order to achieve and maintain permanent weight loss. And this goes right back to Mel's original post that started off this thread (and the original "I'm Outraged!" thread). If the medical profession and the media are telling us that we can't change -- that we're at the mercy of our genes or environment or hormones -- then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy because we will believe that we can't change or control our behavior. And countless people won't even try to lose weight when they hear that message.

I don't think that any of us here will say that losing weight and keeping it off is particularly easy. But I think we're all testimony to the fact that it can be done, contrary to any assertions to the contrary.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:20 AM   #21  
Alex

This is a great thread folks, I absolutely enjoy reading your thoughts and I might as well throw in my two cents here. I have lost a lot of weight many years ago and I was unsuccessful maintaining. It put me back almost to where I have been before I began and I basically had to start all over again. But this failure taught me a few things.
No matter how large the genetical influence on my metabolic rate is, I am able to control my life and I am able to control my body. There is a really dangerous tendency in our society which gets worse and worse I think. It's the continuing attempt to find "scientific" excuses for everything that goes wrong. People so love to be able to blame every problem on circumstances, on the society, on others, on biological predefinitions - you name it. And the media does its part to lull people into mindset of fatalism providing enough excuses and that oh so simple way of getting out of any responsibility for one's personal life. But this is wrong.
I am not an animal, I am not solely determined by my genetic makeup and my instincts. I am human, I have a free will and I have strength, determination, and I have a choice. What I miss in our western world is people being encouraged to achieve something, because any achievement is based on discipline, determination, strength, effort and patience. Obviously these traits are not modern any more, they are as true as they have ever been nevertheless.
Jack, your dad did say a very wise thing and it does remind me on what I have been told by my grandpa. I think a few generations ago people had a way better grip on reality. I have no doubt each individual has been dealt differend hands, circumstances differ for every person. My younger brother for example can eat whatever he likes at any quantity and he will simply not gain weight. Ok, I am different, but I had to realize it is just circumstances. I refuse to have people tell me I can't overcome circumstances because every single person in this world's history who has achieved something great HAS overcome circumstances - a proof that it is possible to do almost everything if you are just determined enough to work on it.
Lance Armstrong - yepp, this guy is great, his achievement is outstanding, what an example of hard work and discipline and he definitely reached the top. And all the other guys at the Tour De France? Even those you never see on televsision? I think they are all great examples for showing that you can achieve something if you are just determined enough. All those great men and women who made it to the Olympic Games. And all those who almost made it there. And all those who did not get into the qualifications but still did achieved something great. Its not just a few, it's hundreds, thousands, even if the media doesn't notice them.
Way to go folks, you wouldn't let them persuade you that you are just a result of your genes and environment!
Alcant is offline   Reply With Quote