Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-20-2004, 05:43 PM   #1  

Default A neat NSV I wanted to share.

I just wanted to tell everyone about something wonderful that happened this weekend. I took my daughter to the park on Saturday, and instead of just watching, I played with her!! I swung on the swings, went down the slides, climbed on the jungle gym, I really played and it felt amazing! Next month will mark the two-year anniversary of starting this journey. At 320+ lbs. I couldn't have possibly played the way I did this weekend, so truthfully I never did. My daughter has missed out on having a mommy that could really get down and play with her for her entire life. But now that is no longer the case. After losing 180 lbs. this body is now able to move in ways it was always intended to, but never could before. I am finally free! When I first started trying to lose this weight I never fully realized the impact it would have on every aspect of my life. I’m realizing more and more just how much those extra pounds held me back, and how thankful I am that I finally did something about it. My daughter didn't even know how to react at first. Her mommy has never been able to play like that. But she quickly caught on that I could do almost anything that she could now and, of course, became wildly excited. She took me here and there, trying everything. We slid down the curly slide together and raced to see how high we could go on the swings. I never became winded, I never needed to sit and rest, I didn’t have to tell her that we were leaving early because my body was hurting or I was too hot. We stayed and played all afternoon and had a marvelous time. And later that night, after she had been safely tucked into bed with a happy, contented smile on her face, the full magnitude of what had just happened finally hit me like a ton of bricks. So I had a good cry then. I cried for all the times she and I had missed out on sharing such lovely days together. I cried for all the time I had wasted hiding behind my fat, and for all of the damage I have done to this body. But mostly, I cried for all the days still to come that we would not be missing, ever again.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:26 PM   #2  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

That's wonderful Beverly!
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:12 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

What a beautiful sight that must have been! Congrats on your weight loss ... Enjoy the rest of your life with your D they are so special... Mine is now 13 going on 20 and even with her attitudes and mood swings I wouldn't change her for the world ... We are still very close...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #4  
Meg

Beverly -- I asked you to post this here (she originally posted in the 100 Pound Club) because I was so moved by your story that I wanted everyone to share in your delight with you.

My only regret about losing the weight is that I didn't do it sooner. It took until I was 46 for me to get it right. So a lot of the time, I was the fat mom in your story. I missed out on a lot of my kids' childhoods because of my obesity.

Beverly, you were smart and did it while you were still young, with most of your life still ahead of you. Your whole family will be able to enjoy the rewards of all your hard work and effort. What a gift you've given to your children!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:13 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

oh bev... you're bringing tears to my eyes!!!! you are such an inspiration- have you considered talk shows????
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:03 PM   #6  
Mel

You have a very lucky little girl who's mom will be with her for a long time. What a wonderful gift you gave yourself and your daughter.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:28 PM   #7  

Thanks guys!! Meg, that's one thing I am so grateful for. I could have easily spent the rest of my life like that, and I had really kind of resolved myself to it. I don't know what it was that made the switch for me but I feel lucky that it happened now instead of 20 or more years from now.

Jiffy- Me, talk shows!?! Do you forget who you're talking about?! I can see it now, me sitting there blushing wildly with a deer in the headlights look on my face, desperately hoping for anything else to take the attention away from me! What a disaster!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote