Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm plugging along, exercising 4 to 5 days a week, eating clean, and...nothing.

I did find a great new "sandwich" that is really yummy and low in calories. Black bean burger with hummus in half a whole wheat pita. Filling and really good.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

That's so disappointing, Allison. Could it be hormonal issues? I know that for me, now that I'm of a certain age (not to say that you are, but I remember you mentioning perimenopause or menopause issues), I have to eat low-carb to lose anything or even maintain my loss. I'm okay with it because I follow primal/paleo most of the time.

Silverbirch, have you ever heard of Bashed Neeps? I'm hosting our supper club this month and the theme is food from Ireland and Great Britain in honor of our trip there next fall. The person doing vegetables found that dish in a cookbook. Are there any unique vegetable dishes from your side of the pond that you would consider tasty? I'm not so sure about rutabagas, which my friend said was part of the dish.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Well I did two workouts this week and have been logging my food, so I'm way more on track than I was before. This is good! Hopefully I can keep it up.
Jessica You can keep going!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #184  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post

Silverbirch, have you ever heard of Bashed Neeps? I'm hosting our supper club this month and the theme is food from Ireland and Great Britain in honor of our trip there next fall. The person doing vegetables found that dish in a cookbook. Are there any unique vegetable dishes from your side of the pond that you would consider tasty? I'm not so sure about rutabagas, which my friend said was part of the dish.
Would the rutabagas be the Neeps? Same as turnips yes?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
That's so disappointing, Allison. Could it be hormonal issues? I know that for me, now that I'm of a certain age (not to say that you are, but I remember you mentioning perimenopause or menopause issues), I have to eat low-carb to lose anything or even maintain my loss. I'm okay with it because I follow primal/paleo most of the time.
Yes, probably hormonal. My doctor still wants me to try that diet, for just three months, to see if it makes a difference. It is super low carb but it omits so many things that I enjoy eating that it makes it hard to consider. It advocates intermittent fasting, which I don't mind, so I'm trying to wrap my head around it. But here's what I ate yesterday:
B-string cheese, diet coke
L-1/2 ww pita, black bean patty, hummus, carrots
D-4 oz chicken breast, 3/4 c Birdseye Protein Blend (Thai style), 1 oz bourbon
(If I were to follow the diet, the ONLY thing allowed above would be the chicken and bourbon.)

I thought I was menopausal, but after a year or so of no period, it came back with almost constant bleeding. I've undergone a transvaginal ultrasound and a endometrial biopsy, both of which were negative for anything. I've been taken off my 1/2 mg of estrogen (hello hot flashes again). But that seems to have helped--no bleeding in almost a month. But my weight seems to hold steady--and at a much higher weight than I think I've ever been before (except after delivering my kids).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #186  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

So frustrating, Allison!

I did indulge yesterday at my "feast". I'm not up 5 pounds-- "only" 2.5! I did go the gym but just walked on the treadmill mostly-- tried running but I was a slog! I was so full last night (I'm just not used to larger portions at all!) that I just had a protein bar at night and no real dinner. Today's job will be avoiding the leftovers!

It's raining here so no dog walk this morning so I'm already feeling behind exercise wise.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #187  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:

Yes. Dagmar is right. It's mashed swede (known as turnip in Scotland but it's complicated ). I've never heard it called 'bashed neeps' and the article I've just linked to says that name's made up by the English. I really recommend it as part of a meal of haggis, neeps (mashed swede, use lots of butter and pepper) and tatties (mashed potatoes). We like it but I know it's not to everyone's taste. Forgot to say that I think rutabaga = swede.

Colcannon (potatoes, cabbage, bacon) is good - from Ireland.

Wales is good with leeks. Clean, wrap in bacon/pancetta, cover with white sauce, top with cheese, bake. Or clean, cut into rings, put in saucepan with butter and cook over low heat - we had that tonight with salmon and saute potatoes. Leek soup, of course.

Purple sprouting broccoli steamed and served with butter. Jerusalem artichoke soup (lovely taste but gives me - and others - wind). Jersey Royal new potatoes. Watercress soup. Cucumber sandwiches (skin off, very finely sliced, good butter, very thin white bread, crusts off, possibly rolled flat with a rolling pin although I think this could be apocryphal). Aloo gobi (cauliflower and potato curry - cauli introduced by British to India, I think). Asparagus. Summer pudding (bread, redcurrants, blackcurrants, raspberries) - I know that's fruit.

I suppose for this time of year leeks, purple sprouting, and neeps and tatties would be best. Plus colcannon perhaps. Aloo gobi is good as well.

What else are you having for supper, Sheila? And can I come?? Any other questions, just ask!

On the low carb front, I've had a couple of gos with it, it's all been fine for a few weeks - more than fine actually - and then I suddenly find I have no energy at all and cannot do things which I can always do. So then I fall off the wagon rather spectacularly. This has just happened yesterday and today. I met a neighbour just now who told me he and his wife are 'doing low carb' but it seems to involve porridge for breakfast, and pasta and potatoes at the weekend. So perhaps 'low carb' means different things to different people. I might try adding a few more carbs in.

Allison, very disappointing and frustrating.

Last edited by silverbirch; 11-16-2017 at 04:31 PM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #188  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

TGIF! For me it is really TGIF as I have next week off! Cannot wait! And especially sweet because dh comes home tomorrow after being gone a whole MONTH! Both of my dd's come home next week (Tuesday and Wednesday) and dd and I are going for initial wedding dress shopping on Wednesday! She is bringing her fiance and her dog so I will go from an empty quiet house to a full and noisy one! I'm also excited today because our 4th grade is going to see the movie Wonder (they all read the book, as have I). They secured me a ticket so I get to tag along for the field trip! So, a few classes, off to see the movie, a few more classes, then a week off! Not too shabby!

In not as good news, I'm very concerned about my friend I mentioned earlier this week. She went to a counseling center yesterday and I got a text from her saying they were sending her to the ER at a hospital and she'd let me know more if they let her. I haven't heard anything since. I have no idea why that would have happened. I sent her a text this morning in case she has her phone, but I suspect she may not. I will text her husband later if I haven't heard but he may want privacy so I'm hesitant to do that-- but I'm so worried! If you're so inclined to pray, please keep my friend in your thoughts.

I did avoid the leftovers of our feast yesterday but almost succumbed to little bundt cakes that a local radio station brought for us. I did manage to talk myself out of them-- they were so small-- how much harm could one do?! Was hoping the scale would be kind, but I'm only down .5 of the 2.5 from the feast so far. Oh well....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #189  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post

What else are you having for supper, Sheila? And can I come?? Any other questions, just ask!
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

We are going to start with cheese, one from Ireland and two English on British crackers (Carr's and something called Jacob's cream crackers). We tried to find more Irish cheese and some from Wales or Scotland, but no luck (or should I say "no joy?"). The main course is toad in the hole, although I couldn't find proper English sausages. The person making the vegetables decided on the meeps and some brussels sprouts, and the dessert will be banoffee pie. Not exactly a low carb meal, for sure! We had the most wonderful pub food in the Cotswolds when we did our walking tour several years back. Trying to recreate it here is a bit iffy, but it should be fun.

Once we hit Ireland and Scotland next year, I'll have more of an idea of what they eat (no haggis, never!).
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #190  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

That all sounds fun! I've never had (or seen, actually) banoffee pie but I do lead a fairly sheltered life. Just for your information (but I think I can guess your reaction) there is a vegetarian haggis, apparently ...

I seem to have more energy since I put a few more carbs into my diet but I haven't been able to get onto an even keel yet. I'll be trying to keep carbs lowish, I think. And I haven't weighed myself yet as I expect I'll have shot up in weight again.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #191  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Back from my travels through Arizona, including three days at the Grand Canyon.

And up to 163.1, of course. Not surprised, considering what I ate, including chiles rellenos, cheese and vegetables tamales, deep fried cactcus and a couple pieces of rattlesnake, and yes, even bread. Other people would have hiked, but I was accompanied by my mother, who doesn't even like to walk much, so that didn't happen. I did go to the hotel gym on the three occasions over eight days when they were available.

Must head off to the grocery store, as the fridge is empty, and I have to hit the gym and then the P.O. to pick up all the mail held back for me.

Last edited by saef; 11-19-2017 at 08:01 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #192  
Girl Gone Strong

Sunday morning, still jet-lagged, but the bloat of salt and air travel has washed away, leaving me at 160.4. My hamstrings and glutes are sore from yesterday's workout, even though I lowered nearly every weight that I lifted by 10 lbs.

I must face it: I need to increase my cardio to control my weight. Lifting alone isn't managing it for me, even as it's made me stronger. The altitude at Grand Canyon affected me more than I thought it would, though I did much better than my inactive mother.

The vacation feels like a re-set, though I know it will wear off eventually. And back to work tomorrow, into the crush of self-evaluation and year-end evaluation.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #193  
Girl Gone Strong

Monday morning, up a half-pound again to 160.9. I'm eating abstemiously so I'm not too worried by this slight fluctuation.

I'm remarkably sore from my workouts. About two weeks away was enough to make me as sore as a beginner.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #194  
Workin' It

Good morning. Or afternoon, I guess. I'm back in town from vacation last week. DH planned all of it, and managed to keep me from knowing where we were going until we were almost there. We ended up in Saint Augustine. Both of us had been there as children, but never thought of it as a grown up town.

I wasn't exceptionally careful with food last week, but got lots of walking every day. No idea what I weigh today, as I had to get up before DH to get my exercise in and the scale is in the bathroom and I had to sneak out to not wake him up.

We have DSS all week this week, and this morning started out with a bang. I went and picked him up at 8:30 and he hadn't eaten anything since some popcorn and sour patch kids at the movies yesterday. He felt like heck this morning - he seems to be like DH's side of the family who get nauseated and sick if they don't eat on a regular schedule. XW is more 'puke it out and move on' which works great for her, and has him dry heaving and trying to vomit and not eating if he feels yicky, which resulted in the no dinner last night and no breakfast this morning. I went the other route and served him a cheese sandwich and drink some milk and made him eat when we got here. He felt better almost right away.

We just finished lunch, and he seems chipper and back to mostly normal. I'm working while he plays some kind of video game or other.

Onward, upward, etc.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 11-20-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #195  
Girl Gone Strong

Tuesday morning, at 159.8.

Yesterday's soreness made me dread sitting and standing. That appears to have eased overnight, so of course, I'm off to the gym to make myself sore again. I am terribly sad at having returned to work after nearly two weeks of freedom.

Shannon, I can't imagine telling a child to just "puke it out and move on." Or any human, as a matter of fact. Maybe it works for cats and dogs, for whom puking seems more reflexive and less traumatic.

Last edited by saef; 11-21-2017 at 06:20 AM.