Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Finding Our Light - Maintainers Chat Spring/Summer

Hi everyone! Welcome to the new chat thread!

What plans do folks have for the spring? I'd like to drop another 5 pounds myself. It's been a sedentary few weeks.

Last edited by JayEll; 02-25-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:12 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Just making a new post to pop this to the top.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #3  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

So appropriate that you started this today:

Quote:
Today, in 1910, the Dalai Lama flees Tibet for British India to escape Chinese troops
ETA: Oops, Actually, NO, it wasn't 1910, nor was it February 25. Closer to a March date in 1959. Thanks JayEll for the heads up.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-25-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Good Morning - I am new to the Maintenance thread (posted a few days ago) and am maintaining between 132 and 136 - having gone down from 144lbs on Nov 1 and have shifted my goal down from 150 to 140 and now, I think am settled into this range as a good weight to be (average of about 134 which also seems to be about the mid range of normal for someone 5'6" and of a medium frame). I hit 136 this am so I am working on bringing it back down

So now I am working on personal training to add muscle which is going quite slowly and may have surgery this summer to remove loose skin, having lost 130 lbs.

Funny thing is, I sometimes feel hungrier during maintenance than during weight loss. Assume some is the extra exercise. Some is a shift in some of the foods I am eating (and working on that; my plan is supposed to add carbs and protein during maintenance but I am having to tweak...and it also can be that the "hunger" was better tolerated when the scale was going down down down. Well I tend to talk a lot and reply a lot. So. Tada.

JayEll - my plan is to hold in the midrange of my goal weight and I have a lot of stuff related to work, gardening, dog training (I have search and rescue dogs who find missing/decesed people), and catching up on a ton of paperwork. There is just too much stuff to do and not enough time to do it!

Last edited by grannynancy; 02-25-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Nancy Search and rescue dogs - amazing! I am one of the "pet" people on the thread so anytime you want to post something about your dogs please do. My animal related job is so much more mundane than yours - I walk dogs and "sit" cats. Love what I do but not nearly as rewarding as your work must be.

I had a rather indulgent weekend and I'm claiming work-related stress as my excuse . Too much ice to slide around on and a dead car! The car is in being fixed so I have an unexpected "most of the day" off. I told them what was wrong - alternator and/or battery - and they just confirmed that. I guess now I have some cred with the mechanics. They two guys I normally deal with are not working today.

I'm finding more and more younger people are giving me the "little old lady" treatment. I am both amused and irritated at the same time by it. Must figure out how to use this to my advantage for more than a seat on the subway! :

Dagmar
Old 02-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Nancy, you've done a remarkable job losing so much weight! Congratulations!

An article I read recently said that people who are considering skin reduction surgery after weight loss should wait at least one year. The article also said that it's not an easy surgery, and that it's important to consult with a plastic surgeon to avoid scarring. There are lots of resources available about this.

Dagmar, I'm glad your car is being fixed. Such a drag when the electrical stuff goes haywire.

Bill, I think the year is wrong in your date for the Dalai Lama.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

Bill, I think the year is wrong in your date for the Dalai Lama.
Good grief! You're right - Thanks.

Better date is 1959 (the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso wasn't alive in 1910).

I got 1910 from a (usually) very reliable website of events of the day:
On This Day

Will have to be a bit more careful with stuff from 'The Web'.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #8  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

hi all, I might start popping in here a bit too, since it's a shiny new thread!

I lost 30% of my weight from Jan-July last year, and have been maintaining since then (see my weight graph of the last 18 months).

So i'm trying to maintain at below 114 in the immediate term and stay in my little orange box on the graph, and if that gets too hard I can tweak up. Mainly i'm trying to continue to fit in to a particular skirt (a summery flowery one that I bought last year!) rather than a particular weight because I've also cranked up the exercise and resistance training recently

It's been sort of easy but also a big effort. Mainly i'm super-excited I've kept the weight off for the last 6 months so hoping I can continue. I"m in the lower portion of a 'normal' bmi and at 51, lighter than I've ever been in my life, so not sure how sustainable it is really, but loving all the benefits of being able to skip around and wear what clothes I want, and it's all still a bit of a novelty.

Yep, please share any dog stories/pictures/chat you can everyone
I have an indulged rescue-pooch, who's a mixed-breed brindle hound-thing, and whilst looking scary to some is a total wuss and would be completely useless at any sort of 'job' that I can think of!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18month.jpg (13.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #9  

Ange For a second I thought you were posting a rather odd pic of your dog

Dagmar
Old 02-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #10  

Hey Ange! I remember you from last year on a weight loss thread!
Oh gosh to get pictures do you have to do something like photobucket or a hosting site?
Old 02-26-2019, 02:50 AM   #11  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hi Grannie, I remember you too - ok, here's a before and after pic with one year inbetween: from Jan last year at the start of my diet, and then one from my trekking trip in Jan this year (this is me, not the dog Mudpie, just to warn you upfront !).
I realise the dog would be more entertaining, but for some reason her photo's aren't uploading and I have to dash to the supermarket now..... will have another look later......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jan18jan19.jpg (26.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-26-2019, 05:51 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange82much View Post
Hi Grannie, I remember you too - ok, here's a before and after pic with one year inbetween: from Jan last year at the start of my diet, and then one from my trekking trip in Jan this year (this is me, not the dog Mudpie, just to warn you upfront !).
I realise the dog would be more entertaining, but for some reason her photo's aren't uploading and I have to dash to the supermarket now..... will have another look later......
Great before and after pics Granny!

Dagmar aka Mudpie
Old 02-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #13  

Good Morning - 134.8 - drop down from 136 lbs which is upper limit of maintenance. Yesterday was 18,774 steps, 1556 cal in / 1770 cal out.

Today is planned and is 1277 cal unless I get in 15,000 steps. If I get 15,000 steps (normal target is 12,000) then I let myself have some air popped popcorn. 17,500 steps also gets me some added ghee.

Already have in 10,311 steps as a "crazy lady" in my neighborhood tried to run me off the road while I was walking... [She had a dog who bit me and who wound up being PTS in part because of my actions combined with those of other aggrieved parties who were either chased by or whose dogs were attacked by her dog, is off kilter again. Her Boston Terrier tried to bite a neighbor (who has a a very nice new puppy which he wants to keep that way) and he went off on her and threatened to shoot her dog etc. ... She is unbalanced. So I have readjust my dog walks to be done before she leaves to take her kids to the bus stop. Which means I need to hit the pavement around 530 am. She has done this before but the behavior had settled down. I do have a file with the sheriff department concerning this and my main approach is to avoid and not push her buttons. I actually don't mind walking in the dark as you don't run into people and I am social but it slows me down.

Tonight after work is dog training with Beau, my human remains detection dog. Doing building searches in a large print shop owned by a teammate. He is quite creative at hiding my training material. Tilly, my trailing dog, will get a short trail. My teammates dog, Maya, who is live find off lead air-scent, will get some find and alert drills. Wed should be going to train half day with the police department; they are an hour drive each way but it is good networking and training. Thursday I really need to clean out my truck if the weather will allow. With all this rain it is pretty bad. Friday should be getting together with DD1 and the her DH and the grandkids for dinner and games (or maybe Sunday afternoon), Saturday is team training and Sunday is a scheduled search job with Beau.

Ange - You look GREAT!

JayEll - Yes, I have some good references for plastic surgeons and the first step is consult. Being 63 and as overweight as I was for as long as I was, there is not much hope for the skin And, even with excellent hygeine, it is a challenge- Right now working with a personal trainer to firm up as much underlying muscle as possible.

Mudpie, Bill - looking forward to getting to know you
Old 02-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #14  
Workin' It

Welcome aboard, Ange & Nancy!

I am still here. I've had an emotionally fraught last month, which I have chosen to address with food. I'm currently sitting at 3# over my lowest weight point from Occtober, and am working on getting back on track. My exercise has been solid, but food.... don't get me started on food, y'all. I thought about subscribing to Noom for a few months, but I know what to do and don't need to pay for a program to tell me how to do it. I just gotta get up and do it.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My weight is okay. We went on a short, 4-day golf trip last weekend and the weather didn't cooperate so we only got in one day of golf. The day we were supposed to practice ended up going to the host's house for booze, pizza and other snacks. My diet the whole weekend was upended. That said, I'm back home now and as of this morning I only have .2 to lose to get to pre-vacation weight. I still have a long way to go.

Has anyone heard of a zozo suit? I ordered one mainly because of the app and how it measures your whole body (inch-wise, not weight). Much easier than getting a tape measure out. You only pay S&H which is like $4. In the end, the company hopes you use the measurements to purchase clothing that will fit your body perfectly. I have not shopped yet, but one person on FB said jeans were like $58 so that isn't too bad. But I mainly want it for the inch measurement.
Closed Thread