Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I also remember dss in preschool, Shannon. Therapy really helped with both of my girls through anxiety and depression issues.

Andrea et al-- the food pushers are mostly in my head. The food is in the break room. I can (and do) avoid it, but it's just there taunting me. Most of my co-workers are well aware of my healthy lifestyle and they treat me like the food police (which I hate)-- they will see me and immediately confess guilt at whatever treat they're holding. The "survival kit" was given to all staff so I can't really be a b**tch about it. I took it home and I'll see if dh wants any. If not, it will go in the trash bin.

Yesterday was fine at work until I got home. I was trying to figure how to fit everything in and then Wilbur started projectile vomiting everywhere. I decided the gym could go.... I cleaned it up, went grocery shopping, came home and did my 20 minute workout (I'm still doing online workouts/coaching and she is trying to keep our workouts to 20 minutes and anyone can do 20 minutes, right?!), made dinner, took a long hot bath, and enjoyed my evening. My weight is up today probably due to my lack of cardio yesterday. Today is bikram yoga so hopefully I'll sweat some of it back out....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #242  
Workin' It

Yeah, the boy has pretty much grown up here. It reminds me how long we've all been chatting here.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #243  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I did not get the job I'd applied for. They didn't tell me, either. They never tell you now, even when you are an internal candidate. I found out when my department head forwarded an email about the other department, showing an org plan and alignment of individual staff with parts of the business, and the place where my name would have been was occupied by a new name, just hired last week. Then suddenly it made sense that the head of that department had a talk with me last week about "other opportunities" and "a time of change." Ah, so that's what he was doing. Letting me down gently without ever actually saying, "You didn't get the job."
Off-topic rant:
When did it become acceptable to simply not have difficult conversations? I no longer get an email reply to a request if it's something the recipient doesn't want to do, they just ignore it. Repeatedly. As in "no one's home; I simply choose not to see your email even though I replied to something else you sent me just yesterday." No one answers questions they don't like, has conversations that could result in feeling uncomfortable, or even rsvp's "no thanks" to invitations they don't want to accept. For a long time, I thought it was just a problem in the "nice to your face, stab you in the back Midwest," and then I attributed it to the Millenials' need for non-confrontation, but I think it's our entire society that is avoiding doing anything that is even mildly socially unpleasant.

All of which to say, I'm very sorry Saef, that you had to find out you didn't get the job by looking at your company's revised organizational chart. That stinks.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #244  
Workin' It

Saef - I missed the part about the job until I saw Andrea's post. I'm so sorry. That is a skeezy way to find out, and that manager should be ashamed.

Totally agree, Andrea - it drives me insane, too. I started putting read receipt requested on emails I send within the company so I know they at least saw it, but depending on what they used to read it those don't always work.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:27 AM   #245  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Very smooth root canal work yesterday by probably the best dentist I've ever encountered. So that's good. There were various unexpected demands as the day wore on and I felt pretty exhausted by the end. Sorry to say that I had to eat a few sweeties to keep going. It's fair to add that I walked a couple of miles to get some seaweed extract for the garden so that probably tired me on top of everything else. I spent some time by a small river, looking at the brown trout and the ducks, to recharge my batteries a bit.

Today brings a morning of gardening to get the front border here (at my mum's) looking up together. At present it's shouting out that it's unkempt and uncared for - not the look we want. Plus umpteen small things to keep the wheels in motion.

saef, sorry you didn't get the job. That is dreadful behaviour, especially if it's company policy. When he spoke to you, you thought he might be indicating you'd get a position in that department next time. Fingers crossed. A week of vacation sounds excellent though!

Quote:
I need to be able to focus even on vacation for a while or I'll never kick this weight.
Oh Jessica, I do agree and would add 'away from home' as well (see my remark above about sweeties). It's the unexpected nature of it which throws me off course. I know this is one of my themes, which is why I'm focusing on three reasonable meals a day as a plan at present. And great work with NLRW!

Michele, rubbish food -> trash bin = good idea.

Shannon, grown-up boys still need hugs, in my view, however bad they are. Hope the therapist helps, even just a bit.

Andrea, that off-topic rant was good. I think that difficult conversations help us grow as individuals and knit society together (not that I look forward to them). But saying 'thank you' or 'I have received this' or even 'Sorry, you didn't get the job' are not really difficult conversations in my book.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:56 AM   #246  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I, too, am sorry that that particular job isn't yours, Saef.

And also share the wonder if we were previously more open about saying 'No.' In a similar vein, at my DD's wedding a few years ago, there were no-shows. Folks said that they'd come and then didn't. Not only did we have to pay for the empty chairs at the dinner, but the list of guests had been pared down to fit the maximum allowed by the site. It felt like a double loss.

Yep, Shannon, I've been following your DSS for all the years now; so I remember so many good moments that have happened.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:29 AM   #247  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
at my DD's wedding a few years ago, there were no-shows. Folks said that they'd come and then didn't.
I'm appalled.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #248  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I'm appalled.
Me too. It seems rudeness has become the norm for a lot of people.

I'm going through something right now where my one contact in another country is simply ignoring my emails. I don't speak, read, or write the language so she has to be the one to do business there and she's ignoring me. SIGH.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:26 AM   #249  
in development

Sympathy, Dagmar. Hadn't realised you were still dealing with all of that. Could she be away for summer holidays?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #250  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Wednesday morning, first day of vacation. Weighed in at 159.5.

I'm packing and preparing the apartment to be empty of me. Haven't yet made it to the gym. But I do need to go, as I'll be driving for about five hours and all but immobile except for accelerating or braking. That long car ride is cramping and confining, though never dull, since a long bout uninterrupted reflection helps clear my mind.

Thanks, all, for your thoughts on the odd way people comport themselves when they think others will be uncomfortable. I know if the dept. head simply told me that I didn't get the job, I would have accepted it, and would not have wished to make him uncomfortable. That wouldn't be professional. But I would also have asked for feedback, since it's important to know why not, if there's anything I have to work on. Receiving the feedback professionally would have been important, and I know that means listening, rather than responding, not arguing back, and spending some time thinking it over afterward.

Aside from vacation, what has pushed the disappointment out of my mind is our great ongoing national drama. I know this isn't the place to discuss it, but it's occupying so many of my thoughts. I read the news, I watch the news. I do what I can. I can't even guess what happens next.

Last edited by saef; 08-16-2017 at 08:02 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #251  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

My weight is weirdly creeping up and I'm not sure why. I haven't been indulging this week, I've been sticking to reasonable portions and not snacking too much. In any case, that plus feeling extremely bloated last night has given me the kick I needed to start logging my food again. I think I need to set a mini-goal along the way because going from today's 154 to my desired 130-135 just seems insurmountable at the moment. I need to focus on 5lbs at a time perhaps. Goal 1: get back to 150, which is where I was before my summer vacation. Goal 2: break the 145 "overweight" barrier that I've almost broken 3-4 times but haven't quite managed to. I've done this before. I can do this again.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #252  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
My weight is weirdly creeping up and I'm not sure why. I haven't been indulging this week, I've been sticking to reasonable portions and not snacking too much. In any case, that plus feeling extremely bloated last night has given me the kick I needed to start logging my food again. I think I need to set a mini-goal along the way because going from today's 154 to my desired 130-135 just seems insurmountable at the moment. I need to focus on 5lbs at a time perhaps. Goal 1: get back to 150, which is where I was before my summer vacation. Goal 2: break the 145 "overweight" barrier that I've almost broken 3-4 times but haven't quite managed to. I've done this before. I can do this again.
You CAN do this again!

Dagmar
Old 08-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #253  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Wednesday morning, first day of vacation. Weighed in at 159.5.

Aside from vacation, what has pushed the disappointment out of my mind is our great ongoing national drama. I know this isn't the place to discuss it, but it's occupying so many of my thoughts. I read the news, I watch the news. I do what I can. I can't even guess what happens next.
I know we don't discuss politics but - really? I tried to read a transcript of the "off the cuff" remarks from yesterday and the thoughts in it were incoherent, not rational, not factual, and just plain dumb. I think all of North America is pretty frightened of the ineptitude displayed by the "leader" of your country. It will have an impact on us all, if not on the whole world.

Impeach is the word of the day. Why is it taking so long?

Dagmar
Old 08-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #254  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm also sorry about your job situation, Saef. My hubby recently had a job opening to fill. After he received the qualified applicants, he contacted all of those he wouldn't be interviewing and explained why. Then, after he chose his candidate, he called all of the unsuccessful candidates and talked to each one-- some of them for hours-- about why they didn't get this particular job, possible opportunities down the road, etc. It took him a few days to talk to everyone but it was the right thing to do. I hope your holiday is enjoyable.

Jessica-- I'm with you on the recent weight gain. I thought my weight would be down today but it's creeping up 3 days running now. My guess for me is that I'm more sedentary this week. I'm back to work but I don't have classes coming to me yet, so I'm at my desk much more than normal. Usually I'm up and moving all day. My plan is to get some cardio in this afternoon and see if that helps.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #255  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Being inept, stupid, and/or clueless are not impeachable offenses. Historically one can see that this is true.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote