Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-15-2016, 05:49 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat February 15 - February 21

This winter business is getting old in just one week. Yesterday the temperature was (-9) degrees Fahrenheit - a new low for the Boston area. And today it's (+5) - which is low for us.

Despite the cold, I did get in a walk to the local drug store where men were lined up buying last minute boxes of chocolates. Today, they go on sale for half price - making it super easy to get addicted to sugar.

Have a Happy President's Day for those in the U.S. Happy Monday to the rest of the world.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It's half past February. How did that happen? I hope everyone has a good week. Stay warm, Bill!
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 AM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Happy Monday, maintainers!

I'm not quite sure what to expect of this week: first we were predicted to get 10-12" of snow tonight and tomorrow, now the forecast is for 1.5" of rain (which is a LOT for us). We must be right on the cusp in temperatures. Normally I'd much prefer the snow (we haven't had any to speak of this year, and I *like* sledding and skiing) but I'm supposed to fly out on Thursday morning for a 1.5-day work trip, and our dinky little airport always takes a few days to recover from a major snowstorm. Ah, well: what will be, will be.

//kaw
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

We're going from below zero to freezing rain this afternoon and then temperatures in the 40s. In other words, it's another of those weird manic winter weeks that we seem to have nowadays.

I am trying to relearn leisure. Maybe will catch up on last season's "Better Call Saul." Maybe not.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Saef... Is Better Call Saul good? I watched Breaking Bad but this is quite different?

I have a good friend in the Washington DC area. She had her son a few weeks ago at 31 weeks pregnant. He's obviously still in the hospital and she's very unhappy that the snow is keeping her from visiting today. I'm praying it clears up so she can safely get to see him.

Dh and I both have the day off today and hopefully we are going to Napa for lunch and shopping. The weather here is gorgeous today. I didn't sleep well but dh slept in late so we are already getting a later start than I wanted. We will take Ellie for a big walk first before we go.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Michele We really enjoyed "Better Call Saul" but it's pretty dark and depressing with highly comedic moments if you're familiar with the character from Breaking Bad.

We are celebrating "Family Day" today - our newish stat holiday to bridge the lack of one between New Year's and Easter. I did have a set of dogs to walk but that was fine. Trixie and I have also been out and about twice and Natalie and I are now going to take a nap.

I have the ham and pea soup ready for dinner - just the final 30 minute simmer and adding the ham.

It's been a great day so far!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We here in the desert southwest are experiencing record high temperatures. It is awful. Mid-February and we were forced to turn on the central air conditioning yesterday. When I got up Monday morning, the overnight LOW was 72! This is not acceptable! We are expecting a small thing this week that should lower the temperatures for a couple days, but then it goes right back up. El Nino, wherefore art thou?

We love Better Call Saul.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #9  
Workin' It

We were supposed to have freezing rain yesterday, but that never happened. Now we are going to be in the mid 60s by the end of this week. Woo.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

In California's Central Valley the weather is unseasonably warm but not too warm. It is perfect. The thousands of acres of almond trees are in bloom.

Yes, JayEll, half past February, and past all the early holidays that working folk look forward to having off. I think the next one is Memorial Day. By then I'll be almost completely retired!

On the cancer front, my 10-year risk of distant recurrence with no chemo turned out to be 7%. Certainly not zero, but even with chemo it only goes down about 3%, so my decision was to skip chemo. Radiation will be next, 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Yesterday I went hiking and it felt good. Today I have sore legs! No upper body workouts for at least 2 more weeks, or until the seroma at the surgery site re-absorbs.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #11  

Half day of snow today. Mild temps and fluffy kind of wet snow. Nice day except for driving. I work in an area with a lot of hills and a lot of people don't know how to drive on slippery snow. I kept my distance (or tried to guy who was on my bumper) and geared down and only slid out of control once. I was on a one-way street and was so far to the left that I totally missed the parked cars. The guy on my back bumper suddenly realized that giving me some room was a GOOD IDEA!

I am now going to slump down in front of the TV for a couple of hours, after I do my 10 minute "Headspace" meditation. I'm on day 6 and it's going well.

Good evening all!

Dagmar
Old 02-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Looks like I need to add Better Call Saul to my "queue" at the gym.

Great news, Alice!! Hope the radiation goes smoothly. I'm sure it will.

Dagmar-- that driving sounds so stressful! UGH!

Weather here has been gorgeous but the rains/cold are returning later today. It's a weird mix right now of wind, humidity and clouds before the storm.

Dh has been home since Thanksgiving as he had his knee surgeries December 2. I've gotten very used to having him home, but he leaves this Saturday and starts lots of travel again. I'll have to get used to him being gone again. Hope we don't have any major issues while he travels as those are always tricky to handle-- last week, I heard dripping on the side of the house and upon investigation, we found our dishwasher pipe had broken and it was spurting into the walls under the house. Dh fixed it (hopefully) but it wasn't easy and I certainly wouldn't have been able to fix myself. Yesterday we found weird dirt piles in the yard-- can't figure if a critter made them or if Ellie was doing some weird reverse digging?? So.... hoping things are uneventful when he leaves.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #13  

Exclamation 3Fc is displaying weirdly

I now have ads in the posts and everyone's tickers are looking odd. Anything happening to anyone else? I tried closing down my browser and reopening but no change.

Dagmar
Old 02-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #14  
Workin' It

Yes Dagmar, happened to me after the update, too. Their are ads in every other post. I installed Ad Blocker in my browser and it seems to have taken them back out. Right now, it shows that 9 ads are being blocked on just this page.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I now have ads in the posts and everyone's tickers are looking odd. Anything happening to anyone else? I tried closing down my browser and reopening but no change.

Dagmar
The site was down for maintenance for a bit today. Probably an update which we'll all **love.**
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote