Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #166  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up New found path - zeal alert!

Very quick post to say that 'I don't eat wheat' is working fabulously well for me. There's suddenly only one decision to make, it feels like.

If I'm not eating wheat, then I'm not eating bread, oatcakes etc - with all the stuff you can put on them. So between not eating wheat and not eating 'all that stuff', I'm eating much less 'sugar'.

I'm eating more fat. I feel very satisfied and do not need snacks (which were always healthy) at all. I don't seem so tired.

I'm losing weight very nicely.

Fingers crossed.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #167  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Silverbirch, that's great news! It's wonderful to find something that works, reduces tension, etc.

ICU, that is a wonderful vacation report.

My weight is still down. I would rather not have to be in a car accident to lose weight, however.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #168  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good for you, Birchie!

Monday morning, weight up as expected from the dinner last night. The salad was incredible! Duck confit with greens and grapes and a wonderful dressing, but what made it spectacular was the poached egg on top. I've never had such an egg. It was breaded and poached. I need to learn how to make this.

S-good 7 hours despite a couple bad hot flashes
E-hope to walk the dogs tonight
B-protein bar
L-salad and yogurt
D-leftover enchiladas
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #169  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Ha, "zeal alert"! I'm glad it is working well for you. I do pretty well without gluten, but I certainly eat plenty of whole grains otherwise. It's a definite plus to avoid the added sugar in processed bread-like substances.

ICU, sounds like a great trip! Glad that you got to do such fun stuff.

Andrea, congrats on your big anniversary! I too am glad to hear that Detroit has some thriving aspects.

I'm doing ok, we've had tours and open houses every day for 8 days now so we're tired of being kicked out of our house. Two more days then we'll potentially be able to review offers. We've not received any yet, though. We're subsisting off Amy's frozen veg dinners, which is ok because I can't overeat when I only have 1 portion.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #170  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good luck JayZeeJay! We just looked at houses for sale in Houston with dd. We were surprised at the amount of traffic through the houses but she is looking at starter homes so there isn't much nice/available in her price range.

Sounds like a lovely cruise, Becky! When we cruise, we always snorkel, kayak, etc. and NEVER take the elevators. I think it does help offset the food damage but I still always manage to gain a considerable amount by cruising.

I'm up 3.5 from my trip last week. I'm hoping some of it doesn't stick, but we will see..... eating healthy and exercising....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #171  
Workin' It

Becky - sounds like a great trip!

Andrea - happy anniversary!

JZJ - glad the house showing is moving along, hope it is over soon.

Birchie - I'm glad the no wheat is working!

I'm out in our restaurants this week for insurance open enrollment. I'm at our downtown Atlanta location today, and took a break over lunch and went for a 3.2 mile run on the GA Tech campus across the highway. I feel much better, as I'd been sitting in this stupid booth since 7 am.

Weight was down a little on Saturday, a twinge below 150. I'll take it.

Yoga and headspace this morning before driving downtown, run over lunch. Yoga, headspace, and three hours of yardwork on Saturday, Sunday was an off day but still did the yoga and the headspace. Trying to do those two every day.

The headspace session I'm doing now is about self esteem, and I'm in part 2 which focuses on visualizations. I'm not as good at those. I do fine when I have something like counting breaths or scanning down from head to toe to focus on, but the visualization is tougher. I'm supposed to picture clear sunshine pouring down from the top of my head and filling, erasing stress, etc. I do okay sometimes, not okay others. Today I was worried about what I have scheduled for work this week, but did okay.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #172  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Shannon, I just went to Headspace's website to look at what it consists of. Are you paying $13/mo. or did you sign up for a whole year? I see that they give only 10 days for free before you have to commit financially. Were you convinced after 10 days that you wanted to do it for the long haul? Do you think that it has made a difference to your stress/anxiety/mood/motivation (whatever you started it for)?

Silverbirch, I have often thought that if I were capable of giving up flour and added sugars, I would not have a weight problem; that I could control my consumption of almost all other foods if those 2 weren't in the mix. I don't actually know if that's true, because I've been too weak-willed to try giving them up completely. But as I have recently concluded that low-carb cycling is not working for me anymore, I am looking to tweak my eating plan. Perhaps trying to give up one or the other is the logical step. They are both so ubiquitous that it would make eating out (or eating in company) a real challenge.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #173  

Good morning. Tuesday--weight almost back down to where it was most of last week. Another .3 to go. Just goes to show how much sodium is in those dinners out.

S-bad 7 hours. Couldn't fall asleep, couldn't stay asleep. All that despite being horribly tired--so much so that I was nodding off at my desk after lunch yesterday.
E-didn't walk the dogs due to rain yesterday. Not sure if DH wants to continue with what we started or not. Need to discuss it with him.
B-protein bar or yogurt
L-salad and yogurt
D-salmon, I believe.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #174  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
saef I would find it hard to always work out in a gym. Although it's not as good a workout I much prefer walking with my dog in a natural setting to using the machines at a gym.
Insert Standard Platitude Here: You do you, I do me, it's all good, to each her own, we'll all get there in our own way, walking is the same as weight-lifting, etc.

I am not so chatty because my head is spinning from all the tasks associated with a product launch happening on April 22nd.

And I am trying to see if I stop making detailed records on this site, which I'd begun out of a sense of wanting accountability -- and hey, it seemed to work for Jessica --- will my life run along exactly the same?

So ...

Monday: I weighed 145.3, I ate some things, I went to the gym.

Tuesday: I weighed 143.8, I went to the gym. I will eat some things.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #175  

Saef-- your accounting of Monday and Tuesday cracked me up.... Or maybe I'm easily amused....

For me: Monday: weighed in (up from trip), I ate some healthy things, I went for a long dog walk when Chiropractor appointment was cancelled and I didn't want to go to the gym....

Tuesday so far: weight down a pound.... went to work......
Old 04-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #176  
Workin' It

Saef - I also snickered at your Monday and Tuesday. I find that sometimes the detailed logs wear on me. In the past I would swing back and forth, I'm trying now to be more consistent, but not beating myself up over the detail level.

Andrea - I participated in a 30 day Headspace study and got one year free after that was over. I had already decided to subscribe by the end of the 10 days, though. I actually signed up for a year when the study ended because there was a three week delay in the voucher and I didn't want to have a gap. I do think it has made a big difference in my stress level, as well as some mood swings I was having. Back before Christmas I realized that I was angry a lot of the time - almost all of the work day, and starting to carry it home. I was losing my temper very easily, and started the headspace in an effort to help with that. I've been handling the work stress a lot better since I started this in February. Right now I'm in the two days into our in restaurant open enrollment, my most tense time of the year, and haven't lost it a single time so far. People in my office have noticed I'm calmer, and my husband says he can tell a difference as well. I pretty much knew after the first ten days that I felt better. If you start the first ten days, you are very likely to get a discount coupon for a year at about 25% off. If not, I may still have one of the codes in my email somewhere.

Day two of open enrollment. I brought healthy leftovers to eat here, but one of the exhaust fans is down and the place is full of smoke. I have to get out for a few minutes. I might heat my leftovers and go for a walk.

20 minutes hip opener yoga, headspace, 25 minutes weight lifting and 20 minutes on the elliptical before coming here this morning.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #177  

Wednesday morning, weight up a bit. Perhaps from lack of exercise, which won't be done today due to a high wind warning.

E-bad 7 hours. Don't know why I'm not sleeping well.
B-protein bar
L-salad and yogurt
D-pork chops
Old 04-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #178  

Birchie-- sounds great!

Shannon-- I still need to check out the headspace.... I do feel like yoga calmed me down immensely but I'm not doing it as frequently as I was.

Weight is down another pound so 2 pounds off from my trip weight. Dh and I are going to Napa next weekend so my goal is to have my vacation weight off before I take another trip!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #179  
Workin' It

I woke up 45ish minutes before my alarm today and couldn't go back to sleep, so just stayed up.

Day three of open enrollment, I'm at a location about an hour and fifteen minutes from my house, but all against traffic. The extra time awake let me exercise, which I hadn't figured I would be able to do. It looks like I'm going to have an unexpectedly long break from 12-3 so I might wander up to the outlet mall and walk around and buy some more pants.

25 minutes of a mellow hatha yoga, headspace, 45 minutes on the elliptical this morning.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #180  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Mellow sounds good in the morning, Shannon.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote