Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #301  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Glad it all went so well, Allison.

I've been eating supper with the DB recently. This is a meal he needs and I don't. I'm cutting it out from now and re-establishing the habit of keeping him company without food. This change has always made a big difference in my food management and consequently in my weight. Am in bed now, with my digestion working nicely. This will be my second re-established habit. I've been weighing myself every day for about six weeks.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #302  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Exercise of the day: put two babies in a box. Sit on the floor and push the box back and forth over and over so they think they're in some kind of ride. It's good exercise because while you push the box around they giggle hysterically and are adorable, but if you stop pushing the box they scream, so you have to keep doing it for like 20 minutes straight until you can distract them with something else.
This really made me laugh!!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #303  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Count me as another person struggling to keep a lid of eating, as my old nemesis of after dinner eating rears its ugly head (yet) again. Lying on the floor at 8 pm right now with a stomach so full it hurts, disgusted with myself :>(

Jessica, way to go! 6 weeks on, you have a lot to be proud of with your exercise program. And exercising by using your DDs sounds lovely. Do you have a double jogstroller? Pushing 2 kids, even at a brisk walk, is terrific exercise and mine all loved to travel that way.

Silverbirch, is "supper" something you eat in addition to 3 meals a day, or is it one of the 3? I ask because you indicate that it is unnecessary, but to me it is one of the 3 normal eating times (we don't have "tea" in the U.S. I think we call it "afternoon snack").
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #304  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Daily weighing seems like a good idea. My confession: 156.6 this morning, so actually up over a half-pound from yesterday's horror.

Determined to eat a little less today and so weigh a little less tomorrow.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #305  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Daily weighing is the only thing that works for me. 171 yesterday and 166 today (I forget the fractions). Still not happy with the gain. I had gotten down to 152 a few months back. But at least it's a step in the right direction.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #306  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
to this side, Michele! Which part of London are you in?
We've been in Kensington so far but are moving to the Shard tomorrow. I think it's near the Tower of London.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #307  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Daily weighing is the only thing that works for me. 171 yesterday and 166 today (I forget the fractions). Still not happy with the gain. I had gotten down to 152 a few months back. But at least it's a step in the right direction.
I figured it wasn't near as bad as you feared. I'm hoping I also have a quick drop when I return.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #308  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
OMG, yes, the vacation was amazing. The Wine Country Inn was decadent in all ways, shapes and forms. The wedding was perfect as was the reception in Sequim, WA. I couldn't have asked for more (except perhaps knowing that I could have reserved a Tesla to drive to Napa!!!).
What restaurants did you try and like there?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #309  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
What restaurants did you try and like there?
Gotts Roadside, Mustard Grill, Tra Vigne Pizzeria, Gillwood's Cafe, some deli for sandwiches (I forget the name) and of course the wedding dinner at Hans Fahden Winery.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #310  
in development

Quote:
We've been in Kensington so far but are moving to the Shard tomorrow. I think it's near the Tower of London.
Oh interesting! So much to see!

Perhaps you'd like Borough Market which is just a *very* short stroll down the road. It's full of wonderful fresh food from all over the country, with lots just up from Kent (the 'Garden of England').

http://boroughmarket.org.uk/

Just *very* nearby is the George Inn, very similar to the Tabard Inn (which used to be nearby) from which Chaucer's pilgrims set off in the Canterbury Tales. You could have a drink there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_George_Inn,_Southwark

Tower Bridge is good for a stroll. The Tower of London itself over on the North Bank is great.

And back on the South Bank, the walk along the river is wonderful now in both directions from where you are. It's good for running. The Globe Theatre, for example.

http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/

Leon does some of the best quick and fresh takeaway food around, I think. I have their superfood salad and feel pretty good afterwards. There are three near you.

http://leonrestaurants.co.uk/ You could search for Leon London Bridge and they'd turn up.

Michele, it sounds terrific. Have a great time!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #311  

Thanks Silverbirch! We were looking to visit Borough Market and the George Inn already! We did Tower of London and the bridge last time but we could do again.

Thanks for the recommendation on Leon's. Haven't seen that yet.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #312  
in development

Quote:
Thanks Silverbirch! We were looking to visit Borough Market and the George Inn already! We did Tower of London and the bridge last time but we could do again.

Thanks for the recommendation on Leon's. Haven't seen that yet.
Great! You might have to search a Leon's out.

Thinking about it, the restaurant at the top of Tate Modern (art gallery) is good for views. It's also got a small bar where you can have a cup of coffee and look out at St Paul's Cathedral and the new Millennium Footbridge to it. That's nice to walk across. Peregrine falcons nest at the top of Tate Modern (a former power station).
Old 07-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #313  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

All of this London talk is making me nostalgic! I used to go there often when I lived in Norwich.

Alinnell: Glad to hear that the wedding went well! I like the Fahden winery, it's one of the prettier places in Calistoga. Some friends of mine went to one of their wine cave dinners and loved it.

Neurodoc: I hope you are having a better day today. That full/sick/angry feeling really stinks, I've been there quite recently. On that subject, lately I have been reading some of the intuitive eating posts, and I've started reading a book on it through Open Library. There was a post somewhere on 3FC recently that contained the quote "deprive yourself of your best coping mechanism and watch the backlash".

My prime time for binge/overeating is right when I get home from work. I can feel the effect - it is basically washing away the stress and mistakes of my day with a sea of food. So, I need to find out how to give myself what I really need to cope at that moment... then do it. I know that I'm preaching to the choir but it seems worth reinforcing the idea that we have needs and it's completely OK to take care of them. A binge is just an attempt at meeting those needs.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #314  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post

Silverbirch, is "supper" something you eat in addition to 3 meals a day, or is it one of the 3? I ask because you indicate that it is unnecessary, but to me it is one of the 3 normal eating times (we don't have "tea" in the U.S. I think we call it "afternoon snack").
This has become such a complicated area nowadays. Let's assume there are three meals in a day. This is what some people say they eat, and most of the meals are the same, regardless of what people call them.

I used to eat breakfast, dinner and tea.
Now I sometimes eat breakfast, lunch and tea.
The SO eats breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Sometimes he seems to eat [something with no name that I'd call breakfast], breakfast, lunch and dinner.
My London friends eat breakfast, lunch and supper.

It's a class thing and it's also a regional thing. I would say that supper as an evening meal is either an upper middle class thing or something which has made its way to some families from America.

So, coming on to the DB's supper: that's the smallish amount of food which some people eat after their evening meal, before going to bed. He might have a bowl of muesli or a slice of bread with a glass of milk. Tonight he had porage.

And to deal with tea. That was the name of the evening meal of the working class and people in the North and Scotland when I was growing up. People often had a cooked meal in the middle of the day and had something less elaborate at tea time. It might involve scones or pancakes or those sorts of things or it might not. The all-out elaborate venture rarely happens any more. I remember those kinds of things with my grandparents, and to a lesser extent when I was growing up.

If you're still reading this, you can see that if I'm eating breakfast, lunch/dinner and tea + one or two 'snacks', I really don't need a bowl of carbs and milk at about 8.30pm. The secret for me is to make sure that I eat a nutritious and satisfying meal at about 1pm, have something delicious at about 4pm with several cups of tea (I don't take milk) and a reasonably sized meal at tea-time. That gives my insides time to digest what I've eaten, time to interpret what I'm feeling inside (usually digestion not hunger) and a good chance of peaceful sleep until the morning.

Day 2 of no supper + weighed myself this morning. Insert the Halo of Virtue.
Exercise is very scarce at present as I'm trying to complete a rather complicated evaluation for a client. It's taking much longer than I want but I just have to put in the hours.

JayZeeJay:

Quote:
My prime time for binge/overeating is right when I get home from work. I can feel the effect - it is basically washing away the stress and mistakes of my day with a sea of food. So, I need to find out how to give myself what I really need to cope at that moment... then do it. I know that I'm preaching to the choir but it seems worth reinforcing the idea that we have needs and it's completely OK to take care of them. A binge is just an attempt at meeting those needs.
This is a difficult time for me too. I think that I find many of those periods of change between one thing and another difficult in this way. On the days when it's my turn to make the tea, I come in from work and do not want to do it. It seems as though there isn't enough time to relax before I have to start again. We are biting the bullet and getting a dishwasher so the kitchen will at least be clear which should help. In addition, I make a pot of tea (not too astringent) and drink a lot of it. I read. And I try to eat something delicious (and nutritious) but this is sometimes difficult to work out. Very good luck. You're not alone.

Bit of a screed here, it seems. See you all tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #315  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Thanks Silverbirch. I'm still confused, but maybe a little less so. I have no idea how you Brits ever know what meal the other person means though, if you use dinner to mean "midday meal" and "evening meal" interchangeably. Also,is "tea" ever eaten as a late-afternoon snack (e.g. around 4 pm)? It seems to me that in the U.S. when I hear about English High Tea, that is the typical time it is offered.
Finally, is DB the same person as SO?

JZJ, I'm not sure I know what my best coping mechanism IS actually. If I did, I might do a bit better with, well, coping. Today was indeed better, so thanks.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote