Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #271  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
Saef and others that do versions of IE rather than calorie counting, do you measure/limit portions or do you have any other system that puts limits (other than your appetite) on how much you eat? I'm super-sick of logging all my food every day, but every time I stop I experience calorie-creep. My appetite is a completely unreliable indicator of how much I've eaten. And I'm much, much hungrier on days I've done an hour of cardio.
Neurodoc, I did not forget your question or ignore it; I've been formulating an answer for it for several days. I felt some chagrin at reading it, since I don't think my way of eating is working very well right now. I'm about six pounds higher than I'd want to be and 10 pounds higher than my real goal would be. So be aware of that before I get going here ...

I think some people would absolutely hate the way I eat. Because I'm not counting calories, I watch **what** I eat. There are so many things that I just don't eat anymore. At all. Ever. I haven't had a piece of cake in maybe three years. Same for cookies. Haven't had pizza in four years. No other candy than an occasional tiny square of dark chocolate. I don't eat sugar. I limit myself on bread pretty severely -- sprouted whole wheat Ezekiel bread, only 2 slices at breakfast, and after the loaf is gone, back on oatmeal again for a month or so, so I don't get used to it. Haven't had pasta, not even whole wheat, in maybe a year now. I eat meat. I eat nuts. A lot. I eat lots of veggies. (I probably make three trips a week for groceries, and that mostly for fresh produce.) I eat lots of fruit. In fact there is so much I **don't** eat that when I read of people advising cutting out even that much bread or fruit, I get a little freaked out. Because potentially there is no end to the severity with which one can renounce foodstuffs. I cling to what I do eat. And want to cry when I read of our wonderful Michele, for example, feeling badly about eating grapes. I want to eat grapes. ("They'll have to pry my grapes out of my cold, dead hands ...")

And as I said, even that isn't working perfectly. Yes, there is portion control involved, mostly eyeballing. I think I have a very imperfect system & the calorie counters are a lot better off than I am. I don't calorie count because I am OCD enough about exercise without also listing & counting other stuff. That leaves me with watching the kind of food I eat instead.

Last edited by saef; 10-07-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #272  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Yes, Saef-- I am sad about grapes not currently being in my life, but I cannot control my portions. Therefore, they aren't currently in my diet. However, I got a bowl of fruit at a restaurant yesterday and there were a few grapes in the bowl-- I happily ate those. I just cannot BUY grapes.

Saef-- is your apartment feeling more like home again? Glad your mom's visit has been pleasant and Fritz got to come along. Still not considering your own furry friend? I ask as my Dewey is in my lap blocking my computer and I'm having trouble typing!

I have a question for anyone that might have advise. I think I already know the answer but I'd like to get a few opinions. As many of you know, I did the tough mudder 3 weeks ago-- approx 12 miles of running, obstacles, etc. I exercise most days but I've never loved running so I don't usually run for training. I signed up for a half-marathon next Sunday-- it is a fundraiser for the school district-- last year there were over 9000 runners. I haven't done any specific training. The next day, Monday, begins my book fair and I will have 12+ hour days on my feet all week for the book fair. Then I leave that Friday right after school to go to the airport to fly to see my dd in Arizona.

So.... my question is.... a few of the staff are walking the entire half marathon. I could join them. My thought was originally to run a mile, walk a mile, run a mile, etc. However, since I don't normally run, I'm concerned that I may be incredibly sore for the book fair. I went and bought new running shoes yesterday and was properly fitted-- I was wearing shoes that were too small for running-- obviously I need to break the shoes in either way.

So, if you were me-- would you walk the half marathon? Or run/walk depending on how I feel at the time?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #273  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
So, if you were me-- would you walk the half marathon? Or run/walk depending on how I feel at the time?
If it were me, I'd walk the majority of it, but when the urge to run comes up, I'd give in and run as much as I wanted. I can't face these with any thoughts of winning--and most of the fundraiser types don't have awards, just recognition, so I just do my best. If you walk the majority of it, you won't feel as sore the next few days. You also don't want to overdo it.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #274  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Michele, I would do exactly as Allison suggests.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #275  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

Michele, when I do a half marathon, I run downhill and walk uphill. How's that for an answer?

I don't run on a regular basis, in fact, hardly at all. So I'm never conditioned for it, but that is what I do, and I wouldn't say I'm too sore afterwards.

I always just go by how I feel at the time. But that is easier said than done.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #276  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Held the line over the weekend - only "blipped" to 148 to start the week. I didn't eat anything that I wouldn't admit to, and I have to believe that the hours I spent going up and down ladders, squatting to load paint rollers, and working overhead this weekend had to count as some form of exercise. My upper back says it was!

Happy Thanksgiving, Dagmar and other Canadians!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #277  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageta View Post
Michele, when I do a half marathon, I run downhill and walk uphill. How's that for an answer?

I don't run on a regular basis, in fact, hardly at all. So I'm never conditioned for it, but that is what I do, and I wouldn't say I'm too sore afterwards.

I always just go by how I feel at the time. But that is easier said than done.
You sound like me! This may be my plan. I know that much of it is on level ground, but there will be mild hills up and down. Most of it is on roads, but some will be on trails. I wore my new shoes yesterday to Zumba and on a walk and my feet felt fine.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #278  
Workin' It

Michele - I agree with the run some, walk some opinions. Jeff Galway says you should always mix run walk intervals, and stresses to take a walk break before you think you need it on a set pattern. (I don't know his specifics, but you can find it if you google him. He was an Olympic marathoner I think?) Claims you don't get sore like that. I've not tried his method, but I know people who have and seem fine the next day when I can barely walk.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #279  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Michele - I agree with the run some, walk some opinions. Jeff Galway says you should always mix run walk intervals, and stresses to take a walk break before you think you need it on a set pattern. (I don't know his specifics, but you can find it if you google him. He was an Olympic marathoner I think?) Claims you don't get sore like that. I've not tried his method, but I know people who have and seem fine the next day when I can barely walk.
I will give it a try then! I have a sore big toe today and it is worrying me. I think the toenail is slightly ingrown so I'll have to try to address it before the weekend. Any good remedies for that?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #280  
Recovering Pantry Pest

I think it's "Galloway" - I trained for a few of the Crim Festival of Race 10mile runs with one of his programs, and he always advocated a mix of running and walking. My fastest time was achieved with a 7 minute run/1 minute walk interval ... but that was a loooooong time ago! I don't ever recall being sore, just slow!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #281  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
You sound like me! This may be my plan. I know that much of it is on level ground, but there will be mild hills up and down.
Where I live, you have to ride a bike in order to know where the hills are. I never notice them while walking, but if I get on a bike, they become glaringly obvious. Truly, I am a wimp (on a bike, at least). LOL!

In other news, my drop in weight this weekend has held for a second day. If I'm in the same neighborhood tomorrow, I'll change my ticker. At this point, if I went in the morning before eating and didn't wear my jeans, I could go to WW and check in for free because I'm back in my Lifetime weight range. Once I do that, I have a whole list of rewards I shall enjoy.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #282  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hi guys
Michele I agree with walk run
My student is a runner and has commented that I should run a half in march
I mentioned the half I signed up for is in may
That my training would not begin until march
But she said if I'm doing 5 miles I would be able to accomplish it easily
But my reality is that I am unable or unwilling to take pretty much a whole day just for a run
Too much to do with my family and other work responsibilities
Oh we'll
Sorry for this writing format
New phone
Getting used to it

Safe, I'm in a pretty good weight / head space
And I eat similarly to the way u eat
This is what works for me and I'm okay with that

Ok I'm off
Kisses
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #283  

I *might* flake out and not do the half at all this Sunday. I have a very sore big toe still (not even wearing closed toed shoes). So, I'm very leery of putting any kind of shoe on and running. Unless it makes a miraculous recovery, I may be chalking my experience up to a donation and a free shirt. I guess I could be a runner for Halloween and wear my bib!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #284  
Recovering Pantry Pest

kitty, good to hear from you!

michele, I appreciate your caution with the toe. Any other but the big toe, probably no big deal. The big one is a big one for a reason!

pageta, congrats on the loss! :clap:

THE BATHROOM IS PAINTED!!! Yes, I'm shouting - with relief! 4 coats - 2 of primer, 2 of paint, but it is done and I am very happy with how it turned out. It is the color of rich dark chocolate; the red and yellow influences look wonderful with the shower curtain. DS is also pleased. Task box: checked! Next up, to hang the vanity and mirror, and to have the electrician install the light fixture over the mirror, the sockets on either side of the sink, and to hook up the ceiling fan. The final, and for me the most difficult (and sometimes enraging), task is to find the perfect towels and little accessories. I know what I want ... it's the finding part that will be a challenge.

There was a celebratory beer when the cleanup was done. I got a little carried away with some celebratory hummus and celebratory chips too - a temporary lapse and it's out of my system for a while. The scale reacted accordingly, with its little reminder that this behavior is what eventually resulted in all-time highs. I will atone the rest of the week and return to my regular programming.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #285  
Workin' It

Becky - yes, Galloway, I just can't spell. And yay for your bathroom being painted! Celebratory snacking is understandable after all that.

Michele - be careful with your toe, those hurt like heck.

Hey kitty, what phone did you get?

pageta - hope the weight loss sticks!

I'm working on getting my exercise back on track. I got in five days last week, this week so far I had a rest day on Monday and ran yesterday. My food has been on track for the last two days, after being in the low 2000s Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm slowly getting back on track.
Closed Thread