3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Spring Fling Challenge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/253478-maintainers-spring-fling-challenge.html)

TheBunneh 02-26-2012 10:10 AM

bargoo Congrats on the loss!

I'm pretty sure I was within my calories, but I didn't log my evening food again. Need to nip that in the bud right now.

silverbirch 02-26-2012 10:14 AM

Oh, that's good. That sounds much better for you. I love dairy produce and fruit and I'd miss them badly if I couldn't eat them. In fact, there have been a few days recently when we'd run out of milk so I didn't have any with my muesli and my coffee. Those days did not go with a swing. I am such a creature of habit in some ways.

ICUwishing 02-26-2012 08:40 PM

Top dish: a shrimp, scallop, pistachio and mango concoction over shredded mustard greens. Holy moly. No regrets; I went for seconds. :D

DS12 grilled his first steaks tonight, while DH made homemade steak fries and potato soup. I steamed the broccoli. Great meal, tempered with portion control. I may not have a good weigh-in tomorrow, but it was worth it. I'm tired of comparing myself to perfect, and sometimes even the plans need elastic waistbands.

bargoo 02-26-2012 08:50 PM

Sounds like you had 2 great meals. I love mangoes and have only recently bought one on occasion. Heck, sometimes I buy 2. I don't know why I never did before, it was like they were too exotic to just buy like you would apples and oranges. Crazy, huh ?

silverbirch 02-27-2012 01:36 AM

Some people say the best place to eat mangoes is in the bath.

Mudpie 02-27-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverbirch (Post 4231568)
Some people say the best place to eat mangoes is in the bath.

I have yet to pit a mango without ending up with a gooey squishy mess. DH does something using a tablespoon and it results in lovely large slices of mango. I have no proficiency with skinning the little beasts either. DH can also do that beautifully, using just a large chef's knife.

He does have his talents!

We bought peaches (!) on the weekend but they proved to be mealy and tasteless - SIGH. DH also got melon - we will try that tonite.

Dagmar :dizzy:

bargoo 02-27-2012 06:57 AM

Then there is crab. If I want crab I go to a restaurant and order it, let somebody else crack it.

Megan1982 02-27-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICUwishing (Post 4231342)
Top dish: a shrimp, scallop, pistachio and mango concoction over shredded mustard greens. Holy moly. No regrets; I went for seconds. :D

This sounds absolutely delicious!

I never order chicken on the bone in a restaurant. I don't know how to eat it gracefully. At home I would just eat it with my hands. Mangoes I can do! Love them! But they are a bit messy.

Thankfully my crazed eating of last week simmered down and the weekend was a "normal" maintenance weekend. I'm back on the losing wagon today, logging calories and trying to eat at a small calorie deficit this week. This weekend is a big festival weekend on my little island and a friend has already requested the use of my guest room. Rather than stress out ahead of time about how the weekend might throw me off plan (which tends to throw me off plan early in anticipation of being thrown off later), I'm just taking this week one day at a time.

ICUwishing 02-27-2012 09:16 AM

Dagmar, I have the same issues with mangoes. If it weren't for YouTube videos on the subject, I'd always be ending up with a handful of sticky mess, too. Everything I know about dealing with avocados came from YouTube also. Ohhh, I'd love a good peach right now! Fortunately, citrus is at its peak, so I can make do there.

bargoo, I've been trying to step outside my apples/oranges/bananas routine and try some new items. Some goodies are just too delicate to make it to Michigan in the winter, and some just have to be enjoyed in their home locales (conch, for instance). I can't remember the last time I had crab - but I love the barbaric and messy hands-on feeding. Something about having the food fight back stimulates my lizard brain, I guess. :D

silver, a mango in the bath would be a luxurious experience. ;) It's going on the bucket list.

Megan, sounds like we have similar challenges this week/weekend! Agree - one day at a time, and stick to plan. I'll be doing the same.

154 this morning. It's no surprise - it was the equivalent of two cheat meals in less than 24 hours. I'll need to really rein it in this week, because this weekend is Girlfriend's Weekend out in Holland, and there are all sorts of minefields, like a cheesecake tasting, a champagne brunch, etc, etc. The upside is that we will be walking a LOT. Not to mention New Holland Brewing! :drool: I feel pretty secure; there are good options to be had, and no matter how the weekend ends up, by Sunday night I'll be home and back to my routine. It's only a few days out of the rest of my life. :)

I'm entering my fourth week on the treadmill. Today was 24 minutes of 2 minute-intervals of 3.0 and 5.4mph. It's starting to become work - but I remain amazed at how well it wakes me up for the day.

bargoo 02-27-2012 09:47 AM

Becky, good job on the Treadmill.
Have fun at your Girlfriends Weekend, make good choices but don't stress over it.

alinnell 02-27-2012 09:48 AM

I was afraid my Sunday off plan would be a disaster with the lunch potluck, but I did well! I had a large portion of salad (despite a poor choice of dressing) 2 meatballs, one BBQ chicken thing-y (one bite), 1 wonton, 4 shrimp and a piece of sushi. I did have two small servings of desserts, too. Then for dinner we had marinated grilled chicken breasts (I couldn't eat it all) and the salad was, um, interesting. It was grilled Romaine hearts with a blue cheese vinaigrette. The dressing I'll make again, but grilled lettuce wasn't the greatest despite the recipe sounding so good. I like wilted greens in some instances, but not this one. Anyway, no change in my weight, so I guess I did good.

bargoo 02-27-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alinnell (Post 4231856)
I was afraid my Sunday off plan would be a disaster with the lunch potluck, but I did well! I had a large portion of salad (despite a poor choice of dressing) 2 meatballs, one BBQ chicken thing-y (one bite), 1 wonton, 4 shrimp and a piece of sushi. I did have two small servings of desserts, too. Then for dinner we had marinated grilled chicken breasts (I couldn't eat it all) and the salad was, um, interesting. It was grilled Romaine hearts with a blue cheese vinaigrette. The dressing I'll make again, but grilled lettuce wasn't the greatest despite the recipe sounding so good. I like wilted greens in some instances, but not this one. Anyway, no change in my weight, so I guess I did good.

Good food choices. No change in weight is a good thing, isn't that what we are all hoping for , eventually ?

ICUwishing 02-27-2012 11:00 AM

Allison, I agree with you on the grilled lettuce. It sounds good, it looks good ... and it left me uninspired. :) Your potluck choices are role-model material!

bargoo, I could live with no change from here on out. Sure, I'd like to be (and am working toward) lower, but if I were "doomed" to be at 154 forever, I wouldn't hate it. It's still 20 pounds lower than my highest, I'm "normal", and I still get to eat well. Thank you for reminding me that I should be counting my blessings!

Shannon in ATL 02-27-2012 11:28 AM

There is a YouTube video on how to pit a mango? Must find it. I don't often buy them because they are such a pain.

Shannon in ATL 02-27-2012 11:50 AM

Ooo - I've now watched 3. In one a very pleasant mad did what Dagmar's DH must do - he cut down until he reached the pit, then cut around it. Took a spoon and broke the fibers on one half, then the other. It was way cool. Watched two more, one with Alton Brown, where they didn't de-pit, just cut around it. In Alton's he cut off the 'cheeks' of the mango first, then the 'fingers' from either side of the pit. I'm fascinated.