Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #241  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Glad you posted, Andrea. I hope it helped you stop.

Becky, the Backfriend is helping but I don't feel very happy yet. My knee is complaining when I release the clutch. Thanks for asking. Best wishes to your abs!

Shannon

Monday

Up 0.1kg on Sunday. I am going up and down the same kilo (= 2.2lbs). A nice bit of maintenance but I'll have to up my game to down my weight, I think.

Food not too bad, considering we are 'camping' at home and there is a fine film of brick dust everywhere. No hot water except for heated by the wood burner's back boiler and two out of our three heaters out of commission. I'd forgotten what it was like when the boys come round! Really, I like these builders very much. The job is suddenly more complicated than at first but "this is well within our capabilities" said one on leaving. Just nice people. Soup for tea again.

Abs etc at the gymn. Credit for going and putting in the work. There are some very fit people there.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #242  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Silverbirch, yes thanks, it did put an end to the binge. And today, I managed to put an end to it before it truly began, by walking out of the kitchen as soon as I reached for the box of cereal. Yay me. Also, "soup for tea" sounds really funny to an American (personally, I prefer having tea for tea :>)

Becky, I think it's mostly a dry starch thing, unfortunately. Celery is too "wet" to be satisfying. It needs to be crackers, cereal, popcorn etc. I love rice cakes too, causing my husband to propose on more than one occasion that if I wanted to cut calories and keep all the flavor appeal, I should switch to styrofoam.

Had my first proper workout yesterday, with some upper-body weights that didn't pull my abs into the exercise too much (dumbbell bench presses, flys, back extensions, machine-assisted pull-ups and dips) along with 40 minutes of brisk incline treadmill walking. Exhausted me (in retrospect, this was probably part of the reason for the binge) but also made me feel as though I'm really getting back to pre-surgery exercising. And yes, I too am plenty sore today, with undoubtedly more soreness tomorrow.

As my punishment for the binge yesterday, plus water retention from muscle soreness, weight was up to 125.6 this am. Stupid body- you're supposed to be moving toward redline, not further away.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #243  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I know I need to use the scale to keep things in check. But now I remember why I stopped weighing every day. I ate 6 preserved plums last night in addition to my daily calories - supposed to be 110 cals total. My weight is up 2.6 lbs. today. The plums are preserved in salt so I know it's liquid retention but it's still totally demoralizing.

And another snacking alternative bites the dust. I didn't realize how much salt these things contain. I find it really hard to motivate myself to eat fruit and veg as snacks in the winter - they don't satisfy me at all.

Maybe I should sit down in the evenings with a can of salmon or something.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Crackers and chips are a trigger for me, too, Andrea. I'm fine if I don't see them, or if the package is unopened, but once opened, and out front in the pantry, I have to be uber vigilant to stay away from them.

Fruit is a huge turnoff for me in the winter. I want something warm and comforting and I prefer my fruit cold, so there goes me not wanting fruit in the winter. And that's too bad because we have a tangerine tree and grapefruit tree that ripen in the cold months (November for tangerines and January for grapefruit). As I type, I have a basket full of tangerines on my table--hoping passers by will take some home (my in-laws take a few each week).

I'm finally down to my pre-Thanksgiving weight, now to get even farther down...DH seems to be doing well. He went to the doctor last week and has renewed his exercise routine. I need to do it as well, but haven't found the oomph to get going yet.

I did boil both turkey carcasses last night after work and made some good broth that I'll freeze to make turkey soup in the future. DH did a great job getting most of the meat off prior, so there wasn't much cleaning for me to do, but two carcasses did produce about a gallon of good broth. And turkey soup, loaded with vegetables, is a good, low calorie dinner and lunch food.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #245  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Baked apple with cinnamon, Splenda & a sprinkle of walnuts can be a nice thing to eat in the wintertime.

A pear poached in a bit of wine isn't half-bad either.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #246  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Baked apple with cinnamon, Splenda & a sprinkle of walnuts can be a nice thing to eat in the wintertime.

A pear poached in a bit of wine isn't half-bad either.
Oh, those do sound yummy!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #247  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

My pal Allison, in crackers and chips, too?

Saef, agree, yum!

Dagmar, hear ya on the daily blip. Innocent little plums .... Pity fiber doesn't absorb salt!

Silver, keep up the positive work. You inspire me so much with your steady, practical approach!

Watching the Biggest Loser marathon - it's ugly. Gravity sucks! Running is something you do when you're lower on the food chain from something behind you. Spoken in admiring jealousy for those who have conquered gravity, of course!

Me, getting closer to my toes, and feeling some really hard muscles in my legs. Amazing for the trivial effort! The Xbox Kinect has arrived.

Last edited by ICUwishing; 12-06-2011 at 10:31 PM.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #248  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Well, today I woke up feverish, with a puffy, reddened painful area all around my incision. DAMN. Went to see the surgeon who confirmed a wound infection and put me on 2 different antibiotics for 10 days. As I type this, I'm still feeling swollen, flu-ish and miserable. And I had to work all day today because you can't cancel a day's worth of patients at the last minute (at least, I can't). I'm convinced, despite my scientific background and lack of superstition, that this is divine retribution for getting all cocky and doing a proper workout before I was officially cleared. It's amazing what Jewish guilt can do.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #249  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Andrea, I hope the antibiotics work quickly and you start feeling better fast.

I am completely with you all in the cracker snacker department. Struggling with this right now. Just decided to take the unopened bags of crackers back to the store.

Seems as though I broke free from a binge cycle for a few days but the monster returns. I know my triggers. It's time to take charge- again.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #250  

While I admit to being a chip and cracker junkie, I'm proud to say that I've forgotten those that I have in the pantry. Due to a houseful of guests over the Thanksgiving holiday, I bought a large cheese tray and several types of crackers to go with it. Of course there is never enough cheese, so we have leftover crackers which are sitting in sealed bags on my pantry shelves and I have not had the least desire to eat them (yay me!).

Andrea, oh, gosh, feel better soon! That sucks having to work under those conditions.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #251  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Andrea, I hope the infection clears up quickly! Take care of yourself!

If I get started eating some types of chips or crackers I tend to eat too much (mostly tortilla chips and ritz crackers or saltines). But they are not something I ever really crave, unless I'm lacking in salt for some reason. I guess for some reason I have fond memories of sitting on the couch with my mom watching tv with a bag of tortilla chips between us. I also always feel like I need to drink soda if I eat chips, same reason.

Speaking of moms, mine has far more willpower than me. My parents hosted the family for thanksgiving and were left with a large amount of leftover apple crisp that my aunt had brought. My mom tried to get my aunt and cousin to take it home but no dice. If it had been me, I would have eaten it -- my mom threw it in the trash. (Note that we are no longer in the days of eating a bag of chips on the couch -- we are both maintainers now.) But then she felt guilty about it and used up leftover half and half making alfredo sauce and quiche. Oh well.

I'm having trouble with my four dessert-free days goal. I don't think I've met it once since I made it. I've done 3 days most times at least. Work has been busy so I've had trouble getting to the gym too (I usually go at lunchtime). I did manage a wog before work yesterday and am planning some pilates at lunch today.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #252  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Still here but no time. House is completely upside-down with the repair work, the SO is away and there are various other extended family things taking my attention.

Gymn - yes. Food - not so good yesterday (Chinese food gave me a food hangover today) and poor today. Sleep - not enough. The snow is creeping lower. I've had a headache for a few days: the cold wind, taking up rowing again, the large number of people suddenly in my life. Sleep will help.

Beaming good vibes.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

saef though your fruit snack suggestions sound delicious I am the world's laziest snacker. I don't even put the chips/crackers in a bowl - just eat 'em right outta the bag/box. And dip is too much work

Tonite I am sooo tired. Worked 8 hours straight and then had to clean up the aftermath at my dad's. I am tempted to dive into the food for consolation but I'm going to try to have a Gatorade instead and read. Pogo is not loading on my computer for the 2nd day. Just found out DH has "Mahjong Titans" on his laptop but it went with him to band camp.

Good evening all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #254  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

It's been a long week. I am very, very glad there's vacation tomorrow. I don't get to sleep in, since I still have to run DS12 out to school, but I should be able to make a major dent in the holiday shopping and still have some time to relax. We had Chinese takeout last night, and even without the soy sauce, I've jumped 1.5#. Blech. I had some incredibly strange dreams, too, !

Dagmar - sorry to hear about the game inconvenience. I'm a Pogo member too, and have run into issues with certain games. I think it's Java-related, but I am not enough of a tech person to know for sure if that's truly the cause. :P

silver - sending good vibes back that your disruptions pass in a timely manner!

andrea - best wishes that the antibiotics are the right ones! That would scare the he!! out of me.

I think it may be time to seek a massage therapist. I've had a lot of neck and shoulder issues over the years, and while my chiro does a great job of lining up my bones, nothing stays put. Does anyone know the difference between neuro-muscular therapists, and deep-tissue MT? I have a reallllly large radius of personal space requirements, but want to know what it would be like to be truly relaxed. Ideas? I had a chair massage once, and the MT said she'd never encountered anyone as tightly-wound as me!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #255  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

ICUwishing, I would not go for deep tissue or neuromuscular right out of the gate. That's for people who have some experience with being massaged, IMO. What you want is a Swedish/shiatsu type massage, just to start to get you relaxed. Probably your chiropractor has some names for you--most do.

Have you ruled out fibromyalgia? Deep tissue massage is counterindicated for fibromyalgia. People think it will help, but it can make things worse.

The main thing is that when having a massage, you must tell the therapist what you're experiencing. If something does not feel good, i.e., you experience pain, say so. They can't feel what you are experiencing, and a good massage therapist welcomes the feedback. Don't assume they "must know what they are doing."

(I'm a massage sponge, and I've had dozens and dozens of massages over the years--most good, but a few where I never went back.)

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote