Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Prayers said here for you Saef. Oh my. I need to pay attention to the news and probably call my elderly Uncle in Rhode Island.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #32  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Goodness me, saef. Was this just shoved in your letterbox? What do your neighbours say?

Beaming positive vibes your way, of course. If you could teleport yourself and stuff here, you'd be most welcome to stay. And I'd even take you to a china museum to take your mind off things.

Very good luck.

Last edited by silverbirch; 08-25-2011 at 05:39 PM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, my, Saef! I certainly hope that no flooding occurs in your area! I once lived in a 100 year flood plain and was required to have flood insurance. Of course, even with the worst of flooding around us, we never had a problem. I hope the same for you. Perhaps a little rain and wind but no more. You take care and know we're all thinking the best of you.

So I just made my flight arrangements to fly to Hawaii next June. I was hoping to fly first class. Nope, it more than doubled the price. My DS and I were lucky to fly first class (the attendant moved us up) and wow was it nice. And then flying back--in the very back of a very cramped plane--was a huge let-down. But when faced with $11,000 vs $4500, I'll take $4500 any day.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #34  
No description available.

Oh no, Saef. Yikes!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Allison, that is insanely hot. And I like hot.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

saef This is not the best smilie but the HTML code says "luck2you". Oh and this one too

I hope the weather is not as dire as your building's management seems to think it will be. Do you have flood insurance? You might want to try to move some of your more precious possesions into higher areas ie chairs on tables etc. or maybe one of your neighbours or friends would let you take some things to their place temporarily?

Not a nice end to your vacation. I'm so sorry - it sounded like you had a great time upstate and now to have to come home to this.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #36  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Such dire warning, Saef, Good luck to you.

And would you kindly consume as much of its energy as you can since it's on the way to me afterwards, LOL. We're taking things inside and tieing down what has to stay outdoors.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #37  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

saef, by tomorrow afternoon things will be clearer, but at this point all the computer models are showing the storm going right up the coast and through or close to Connecticut. If it goes inland, then it should weaken below hurricane strength and might just be a bad rainstorm. Models are only models, and things can change at any time! But, you might start thinking about what you would want and could take with you if you needed to leave on Saturday.

As you might guess, I watch these things pretty closely. I am hoping that the storm will weaken.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 08-25-2011 at 07:28 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #38  

Height: 5'6

Well, good thing my DH didn't listen to me about wanting to go down to the Jersey Shore this weekend, they are in an official state of emergency. Between Irene due to make landfall here Saturday afternoon and the aftershocks of the earthquake this past week, it's like the end of the world, lol. I don't know about running tomorrow morning, I'll have to play it by ear.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

saef, praying for you and your neighbors as well that you will be safe and Irene will not hit your area.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #40  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Thanks all for your best wishes and prayers. I do appreciate them truly. I am praying myself ... and it takes a lot for that to happen.

Mike Bloomberg's press conferences this afternoon & this evening saying that the trains and subways were being suspended did nothing to allay my fears.

As for the notice from the building's management, Birchie, what happened was that I went up to the lobby to my mailbox to get this past weekend's Times (which I knew would be crowding out my magazine slot) and discovered Ladovic, one of the building superintendents, in the act of posting the notice in the lobby. I was the first in our building to read it.

I am now hearing that they are predicting landfall at 6 PM on Saturday night. I don't know if that is up to date. I never know how much information is enough & how much is too much, feeding some kind of continuous loop of escalating anxiety.

Jay, when you watch the progress of the storm, watch for New York, rather than Connecticut. I work in Connecticut but live in New York. If my employer's offices are flooded, hey, I can live with that.

Here is my selfish worry. Not just about human safety. That of course is paramount. But also because, in my apartment in NY, I have a lot of decent American Federal and early Empire period furniture. If it is lost, too waterlogged to salvage, I'll be very sad. I enjoyed hunting for and finding each piece, one at a time, in various shops in NY, PA & New England, in country auctions, and out on the fields in summer outdoor antique shows (like the one I went to this past weekend). They are not easy to replace. Someone spent a long time making each one -- some craftsman working in a shop, hand carving many parts. This furniture survived this long, it deserves another 200-170 years on this earth. I would be terribly sorry if it were irreparably damaged while under my custodianship. (I felt quite badly about breaking an old plate, and the prospect of six rooms full of drowned antique furniture really has me gloomy.)

Damn it, this all feels like some sort of divine plot to rid me of my probably too-deep attachment to Things.

Bill, I do hope this blows out to sea and very little happens. Like that hurricane this time last year, which frightened us all out on the Cape, and then ended up just being a steady daylong rainfall and a stiff breeze.

Last edited by saef; 08-25-2011 at 09:16 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #41  
Workin' It

Thinking about you, Saef. I'll keep my eyes on NY weather Saturday night and hope it doesn't come in hard on you guys. And that it doesn't go on to Bill as well.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #42  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Landfall, at least the initial landfall, is supposed to be in North Carolina. That's pretty far away from you, saef. Looks like the center doesn't get up to New Jersey until Sunday afternoon.

Keep thinking fizzle...

Jay
Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #43  

saef and Bill and anyone else who isn't sure about Irene's impact.

I watched about 30 minutes of weather "coverage" last night and it looks like they don't really know what is going to happen but are throwing out all sorts of theories. If someone were to tune in and not see the preceding minute which said something was a total hypothesis they would be led to believe that the southern tip of Manhattan was going to be completely flooded. People are starting to panic because of too much info about all this.

I think they should have a banner on screen at all times saying "this is a simulation of the worst case scenario, not what is actually happening".

There are good weather site online with rapid updates (we have a federal government one called "Environment Canada"). If you all can find one of those you should be able to get accurate info, rather than supposition.
But you all are probably aware of that already.

Jay Where are you getting your info (and is Florida in any danger?).

Dagmar
Old 08-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #44  

I am totally mad at myself this morning. I was OP for 4 days in a row as of last night and feeling very proud of myself and optimistic that I could finally get on with the business of getting to goal. :

Then DH pulled out the chips . And, like a good little robot I sat there and ate them with him. That is just totally stupid behaviour on my part. I don't have to eat to keep him company - I KNOW that!

Picking myself up etc. today.

Dagmar
Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #45  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

The news media always whip people into a frenzy. They need to sell advertising. On the one hand, if it means more people will get out of the way of danger, that's a good thing. On the other hand, panic is never a good thing.

Hurricane Irene is already past Florida. The east coast of Fla. got some high surf and rain, but we had no rain here (west coast) and partly cloudy skies. Distance makes a big difference.

I like the Weather Underground website, www.wunderground.com. Click "Severe Weather" and choose Tropical & Hurricane. Once there, scroll down below the big map, and you'll see listings for individual storms. Click Hurricane Irene, and you'll have a variety of map options.

I like to look at the computer models. They are all extrapolations from known data and past histories, and therefore are not set in stone, but sometimes the individual simulations give very different tracks, which means it's anyone's guess. This time, not so much--all the tracks are very similar. But, it's still not set in stone.

Jay