Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #46  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

The color of summer is indeed coral, and I just got a manicure today with dark coral polish. Love it. And, yes, I think that fake crackle stuff looks pretty hideous.

Shannon and Allison- bread, chocolate, butter, cream sauces; yes that's the cuisine I remember too. But I will not, can not eat that stuff for 2 weeks straight or I'm doomed. Hence my questions regarding how to order and where to find things steamed and broiled. I will need to learn some key phrases indeed (it helps that I took French for 4 years in H.S. and college, but that was sadly a long time ago and I no longer remember a lot).

Saef, I'm jealous of your day. You make me miss NYC (I lived there for years- went to Columbia for a year and lived on 111th, then later attended Downstate Medical School and lived in Park Slope, followed by a year on 1st Ave and 18th St. doing my internship). I vividly remember those meltingly hot summer days, standing in line sweating (like you today) or worse, walking 20 blocks down Broadway or across Park Slope, smelling the asphalt and wishing my thighs didn't rub together when I walked.

Jessica, prednisone (all corticosteroids) are potent anti-inflammatory medications that also suppress the immune system. When you take them for a week, you get mostly the former effect, and when you take them for 2 or more, you start to get the latter kicking in more and more (while continuing to have the former for as long as you take them). Given how chronic your pain has been, I think the likelihood of "kicking the inflammation out" from a 1-2 week course of steroids is basically zero. Regrettably, to really treat something chronic, you'd need to be on steroids for many weeks/months.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #47  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Neuro - une assiette de crudites (acute accent on that last 'e') helps me out. It's a plate of raw or lightly cooked veg with a separate tiny bowl of mayonnaise. It's a starter but I have had it as my main course (comme premier plat). I find it quite delicious and I can feel my body relaxing with relief as I eat it.

I'm usually OK if the hotel has a breakfast buffet but I've not yet cracked what to do for a midday meal as I don't really want a three course affair. I have the same problem everywhere, including in the UK.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I've seen the crackly polish ads with the tennis player - she is formidable but the look is weird. I just bought a bottle of medium blue - I don't generally follow trends but prefer fun colours for the few times my toes see the light in summer.

Andrea I have longed to live in Manhattan (or close enough to take the subway over) since I was little. My mother originally was supposed to travel to Cleveland when she came over from Estonia after the war (another strike against my father - he convinced her to stay in Toronto) and I would have been an american. If I ever win a gazilllion dollars in a lottery I plan to visit NYC twice a year (spring and fall) for about 2-3 weeks at a time and to live like a New Yorker during those times.

saef Your day sounds perfect. i wouldn't mind melting in the heat to see all of that. You've reminded me of what it's like to have time for something other than the junk on TV - sometimes I wish I were not so drained at the end of each day and that I could take vacations like a "normal" person.

And Elliot Erwitt is marvelous! One of my exes gave me a book of Erwitt's "dog" photos years ago - just dug it out of my bookshelf and will trip down memory lane tonite. I am forcing myself to sit down and read/listen to music/anything but TV while DH is off doing his various things.

DH is at a sleep clinic tonite - trying to get his sleep apnea (if he has it) diagnosed. I hope they also tell him to lose weight (obesity and apnea are related apparently). And to stop drinking alcohol (his snoring and snorting increases dramatically when he's had a few beers).

Change is hard. We all know that. But I can't change his habits. I can only change my own.

Good Thursday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #49  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Stop talking about New York and Paris! Hearing about the first makes me want to go back ASAP (I visited for a week in May and fell in love) and hearing about the second makes me despair of ever traveling as much as I want to. I know I can't complain, having lived in China for 4 years in my 20s, but I really wish Americans had a "gap year" travel tradition like other countries. Thinking back to 18 year old Jennifer, I would have been petrified, but spending a year traveling all over the world would have been such an amazing experience.

saef - I was surprised to see a "Play Only" line when I went to TKTS. No one was in it at the time. I guess we tourists are all looking for something to tap our feet to, or with accompanying soundtracks to buy. That being said, I was really interested in seeing "Mofo with the Hat" when I was there, but ran out of time. Give us a review, please?

Dagmar - If I ever lose my cell phone (nightmare!) I can only hope that someone like you finds it. That's really great of you to "collect" all these phones and return them to their owners.

As for nails, I don't know why, but my own particular aesthetic leans toward natural fingernails and any bright color on my toes. I personally dislike French manicures/pedicures, especially when on acrylics - they just look so fake and seem like they take so much maintenance. I know I couldn't be bothered. As for the brightly colored toenails, I find them cheerful and optimistic, and couldn't we all use a little more cheer and optimism?

I love Thursday mornings. My first class isn't until 10:45 and I let myself be slightly lazy at home. Such a gift.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #50  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Andrea, thanks for the info about steroids. I guess I will just talk it over with the rheumatologist and try whatever he suggests. I'm just afraid of getting into another situation like I've had before where the doctor basically says, I don't know what the problem is but it's not that bad, you're not at risk of any serious damage, so just suck it up and live with it.

Now I want to go to New York! But I can't handle it for longer than a week. It's just too busy and crowded for me. Never been to Paris though.

Dagmar, don't worry, lots of us often wish we were Canadians! Especially when we get medical bills. Also, if you can access the cell phone's address book there may be "home" or something similar listed in there which you could call and say you found the phone.

Jen, I don't like French manicures either. My nails are already pink and white naturally, why should I paint them to look like they already do? I don't go to nail parlors often -- only gone about three times in my life. When I do I usually just pick a neutral pinkish color. At home I have some brighter colors I use on my toenails sometimes. I am just too lazy to take care of manicured fingers and toes.

Working from home at the moment since I have an appointment to pick up my custom orthotics from the podiatrist at 9:15. It didn't seem worth it to go in to work, get there at 8:30, and leave at 8:50 to go to my appointment. I will be going in to work after the appointment.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #51  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I realized that people have asked me questions in this thread, and I haven't been answering them. I keep dropping off into monologues. And this is a chat thread, not a diary. Sorry, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
Also, what did you think of the P90X videos (have you bought the series?) I'm surprised, since you mention that you go to a gym every day, and that's a home-based program.
Someday I think the P90X videos are going to seem as emblematic of our time as the Jane Fonda workout video is of her time. But in the meantime, I am mesmerized by them & find them incredibly sexy, even the minimalistic loftlike decor & the black & white cinematography. My fixation began from exposure to the infomercials while captive on cardio machines at my gym with my little individual TV tuned to them. I haven't bought the series, being really, really cheap at heart. I've bought three individual discs on eBay for $7-$11 (with shipping included). Odds are, they're returns or pirated. They work fine & give me what I want.

Which leads to your home-based question. Yes, I do go the gym daily. But I don't always take classes & I am not working with a trainer just now. (See above: "really, really cheap.") So what I'm search of are routines. Routines that instruct me on how to use the weights & some of the equipment the gym gives me access to.

And I don't do them at home because I have a nice but small apartment, and it is rather formally furnished. (You might call it European. By that, suitable for an elderly European person, who shuffles about wearing slippers, not for Eurotrash with a German brutalist aesthetic.) There is no space or place for a weight bench, a pullup bar, etc. Um, not on the Aubusson, not behind the Empire sofa or the Art Nouveau screen or the Federal demilune table or the porcelain jardiniere full of ferns. Nope, it won't look right. And the gym's just down the street, less than three blocks away.

So P90X is offering me a routine of moves that I can use while working out on my own in the gym. It's better than a book or an online description because of all the demonstrations, done with various camera angles & Tony Horton's prompts on Good Form. I'm trying to learn from watching so I can transfer to the gym setting.

Last edited by saef; 07-07-2011 at 10:05 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #52  
Girl Gone Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Saef, what kind of bread did you make?
I made whole wheat buttermilk bread, having had a carton of buttermilk in my fridge for a frighteningly long period of time. I just had two pieces this morning, spackled with Trader Joe's plain crunch almond butter. Wonderful. The recipe comes from a book on baking so old that it ought to smell of patchouli: Laurel's Bread Book. (Or the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book, as I think it was reissued, though my copy is the ancient original.) Here's someone else online who's enamored of that recipe.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/892...lk-whole-wheat

I do fine with my homemade bread around, typically having two slices for breakfast with lots of nut butter on it. And that's pretty much my grains for the day. I know some people think bread is demonic. (There's a New Yorker cartoon that's waiting to happen: "All the Best People Are Gluten-Free.") I am of the group that has no problem digesting it whatsoever, and love beating up dough. The problem is the long intervals for letting it rise. For me, it's ideal for a day when I keep leaving home for some errand & then looping back. (Like when I see a bluebird in a meadow -- on the end of a branch, diving out into grass to get a bug but always coming back to the same branch tip.) Each time I come back, after an hour or so, I do something more to the bread, kneading or shaping in a loaf or sticking it in the oven.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I think gluten-free is the new trend, people believing that gluten is the evil in food. People who have no problem with gluten are going gluten-free because it's "in" right now. I don't have a problem with it (thankfully) but I certainly can't be trusted with a loaf of homemade bread! Well, I probably could, but it would tempt me beyond belief.

Speaking of bread, my favorite loaf is no longer being carried at any of the stores where I shop. It's still being made, however. Irks me beyond belief. I'm thinking of going to the outlet store to see if they have it, but it's so out of the way. I've asked at a couple stores and haven't been given a good answer as to why no one carries it. Even my DS was complaining that I didn't get the right bread for his PB&J sandwiches.

So funny about nail polish. I do like the French manicure but detest a French pedicure. My toes must be bright and cheery! Never red, but always bright pinks, magentas, but next time I'm going for coral. Speaking of coral, I fell in love with a coral purse. I showed it to DH and he said to buy it, but I just can't get myself to at the price ($285?--really?).

I've never been to New York. A few years ago DD had an opportunity to go for spring break with a group from school and I was going to go along (presumably as a chaperon) but there wasn't enough interest and the trip was cancelled. Perhaps one day DH and I will get there. But in the mean time, we're still looking at a trip to Europe. The Rick Steves tours seem to be the highest on our list and they appear to have a lot of walking involved, so we won't gain weight!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #54  
Chuggin' along...

I'm glad I got in work hours on Sunday, because my half day today has turned into "running in to the office for an hour" because I'm not quite ready to leave town yet. I spent the morning watering all of my copious amounts of plants one more time, walking the dog, etc. I told BF "the two things I care most about are the dog and my basil!" Him too, of course, but I'm not worried about him, or the dog really, it's my herbs I'm worried about coming home and finding dead!

All this talk of NY makes me glad I'm going! My parents & I are going to see "Chicago" or "Anything Goes" depending on which works best for our schedule. I wanted to see "Wicked" but mom has already seen it. I'll start my trip in DC w the whole fam for my niece's 1st bday, then head to NY state w my parents. I'm excited to see them but also worried about food, like neuro! My family usually eats moderately healthy, uses family gatherings as an excuse to make treats, and my own willpower has been mediocre lately. I'm going to try and stay busy, and at my sis's and my parents there are great walking/hiking trails out the back door so I can stay active, too. I will try to practice portion control but right now it rings hollow even as I type it! Send me some

My neighbor just gave me a bread machine recipe for whole wheat bread that actually rises. I like my bread machine bc of convenience, but no ww recipe I tried actually rose. I can get half wheat to rise somewhat, but I want ww bread! At least whole grain. I can't wait to try him recipe! Homemade, good white bread has no chance around me as I have no control around it.

I don't usually spend a lot of time of my nails bc they will just get ruined at work, but lately I've been really wanting a pedicure. And a massage, which I've never had. And a facial, which I've only ever given myself. I think I will do a "home spa" one of these days. Jen, I like brightly colored toenails, too!

Dagmar, my BF doesn't snore all the time, but certainly snores more when he has a few beers! I think it's the alcohol-snoring connection is universal in men. Thankfully he usually stops when I push him over on his side, or stomach.

Jessica, I'm sorry this is so frustrating for you. I hope this doctor is more helpful than the last few you've been to.

I might be around next week... but if I'm not, have a great weekend and week, all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #55  
Workin' It

I fell back asleep after getting the boys up this morning instead of exercising. Argh. I have to get back into the exercise in the mornings we have DSS habit. We are likely having friends over again tonight to watch a movie (rewatching all the HP films before the new one comes out) so may not have a chance to get it in this afternoon now, we'll see.

I'm back in my 'normal' pants for the first time in over a month. They have been hanging abandoned in my closet since the last time they were washed and I've been in my 'feel icky and bloated' pants for a while. I'm glad to have the normal pants back.

Megan - I have a bread maker and have had trouble with WW breads rising as well. Care to share your recipe?

Jessica - I know that this is making you crazy... hang in there.

Dagmar - sleep apnea is a scary thing. Weight can make a big difference - maybe it will get through to DH if they tell him that he stops breathing hundreds of times per night like they did my dad. He wears a cpap now and has lost some weight, too.

Saef - sounds like yesterday was a better day. Good.

Jen - I love a lazy morning!

Allison - how is the weather there today? Still crazy humid?

Andrea - love the coral nail polish!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Your trips to New York and Paris sound much more glamorous than my visit to Spokane, WA! I am loving visiting my dd. Yesterday we went to her favorite lunch spot-- I ordered healthy-- she didn't....sigh.... We walked in a beautiful park/garden area for about an hour so at least we got some activity in. She cooked us a healthy and yummy dinner and we went to see Bad Teacher. Today she is working-- I'm mostly relaxing. I am not going to sleep well here-- I've got the couch-- I already have a bad neckache/headache from sleeping on it for one night. It is hot in her apartment too-- she doesn't want to use the window unit AC because she has to pay the bills. I tried out the treadmill we bought her (NordicTrack) and it kicked my butt! I could barely make 30 minutes but I think part of that was the heat in the apartment. I caved and put the AC on for 5 minutes after I finished exercising.

Not sure what we'll do after she gets off work but I hope she exercises....not going to nag though....

Her kitten is super cute but he has been play biting me and I look like a war zone. We will need to come to a mutual agreement soon!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

michele one really effective thing for kitty "persuasion" is the spray bottle/plant mister or a kid's water pistol. I have fought back Mudpie's attacks for over 13 years now with a spray bottle. She goes right for the toes and tries to draw blood!

Megan Enjoy your time with your family. Call the BF and leave soft romantic whispered messages - "water the basil, waaater the baasil" .

As for bread, when I buy a loaf I have to cut it in half and immediately freeze half. Baking the darn stuff would totally make me lose control. I think I would rip the hot fresh loaf to pieces with my bare hands and eat it plain, right outta the pan!

You all can see why I buy precut whole wheat sandwich bread from the supermarket?

I'm now going to attempt to purchase advance tickets for Harry Potter.

And the person whose phone I found arranged to pick it up last night. I waited around for the whole evening and she never showed. I have no phone number to call her at so I'm waiting to see if she tries again. This time I will leave the phone on the front porch, in a plastic bag.

Good evening all!

Dagmar (almost TGIF).
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #58  
Girl Gone Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
I told BF "the two things I care most about are the dog and my basil!"
This is a pretty memorable statement, about as clear instructions as one could give, so I have a feeling both canine & herbs will be thriving once you return.

Wave northward in my general direction when you're in the city. I'll be thinking of you.

Tonight I've got frosted blue toenails. They're sort of aqua. I did not take note of the name when choosing the bottle. I went solely by color. It's Opi. Maybe Wild Blue Yonder or maybe Cuckoo For This Color or Suzi Says Feng Shui. Anyway, I admired them tonight during Pilates class, as a way of getting past the pain.

Today everything that was difficult on Tuesday was easy & done before 1 PM. To the gym at 6 AM, to the garage for an oil change before 8 AM, which they did quickly, while I waited (not without trying to upsell me as they always do), to the grocery store which was doubling $1 coupons. Then, this time walking, to the P.O., where applying for a new passport was simple, even though it was past its expiration date, and to the nail salon, where I got one of the spa pedicures, the Green Tea Special. I just about screamed & kicked poor quiet skillful Lisa in the face when she filed at the calluses on the balls of my feet because it tickled so badly. Otherwise, what a nice experience.

I could use another week's vacation. It's taken me days & days to thaw out, as it were.

Anyway, this has taught me greater empathy with the newly retired. I never understood why they'd find it so difficult. Now I do. Totally.

Last edited by saef; 07-07-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #59  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I am never, ever eating another Fiber One Chewy bar again as long as I live. What mad evil food scientist created these? And how on earth do they get anyone on the planet to become a repeat customer? OMG, the bloating and gas I've had this evening is simply UNHOLY (I was offered, and accepted one at 3 pm today, at the recommendation of a former friend).

"You might call it European. By that, suitable for an elderly European person, who shuffles about wearing slippers, not for Eurotrash with a German brutalist aesthetic." That sentence made me snort, then laugh out loud literally. I love the imagery.

Shannon, congrats on getting back into your normal pants. Tonight, after that fiber bar, I definitely need to borrow your "icky and bloated pants" (or just no pants at all).

Silverbirch, I will remember the phrase "une assiette de crudites" (aka, "a napkin of raw veggies :>)). Would you also happen to know the French for "dressing/sauce on the side" and "steamed, not fried please"?

Have a good evening everyone.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #60  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
But in the mean time, we're still looking at a trip to Europe. The Rick Steves tours seem to be the highest on our list and they appear to have a lot of walking involved, so we won't gain weight!
I've been on 3 Rick Steves tours with my mom. They're GREAT, no babying, lots of free time, walking, the people who go on them are generally open-minded and easygoing, can't recommend them enough. After 2 tours we had kind of "outgrown" the tour group setting, but all the free time and whatnot really makes you forget you're on a package. The hotels they choose are consistently good too. Which ones are you looking at?

Also the walking estimates are greatly inflated, probably to weed out lazy people who complain about having to walk everywhere. The average RS tour participant is a middle aged upper middle class white couple from the Pacific Northwest who votes Democrat.

Last edited by krampus; 07-07-2011 at 10:53 PM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote