Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for asking Megan-- much better today-- not perfect but certainly more normal for me.

Just got back from puppy class. Dewey is doing pretty well but it still being too dominant for some of the more timid pups. We'll go back to the doggie park tomorrow-- it was rainy yesterday and today. We bought a kiddie pool to try with him tomorrow. He seems to love water so we'll see what he does!

Feeling huge today. We ate lunch at a chinese restaurant. Haven't done that in a LONG time. I need to get more OP! I've eaten out at an Italian restaurant and a Chinese restaurant in the last few days and that is very unlike me. Back to being 100% OP tomorrow! I go to visit dd next week in Spokane and I want to have some wiggle room.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

bargoo We celebrate Canada Day on July 1. It used to be called Dominion Day but they changed it when we became an independent nation, away from Britain. We get City fireworks on/around May 24 to celebrate what used to be Queen Victoria's birthday and on Canada Day.

I and DH love fireworks displays. When we visited Vancouver on vacation they had the Celebration of Fire every night and we sat by English Bay and were in awe.

DH once set off fireworks ( a big display that he rigged and toted, by bus, 600 km north to North Bay) as a last Christmas present to his mom. She was dying of cancer and she too loved fireworks.

DH has a romantic sensitive side. You all mostly hear my b*tching about him but he does have many good qualities.

TGIT! (thank goodness it's Thursday)

Dagmar (I haven't had 4 days off since my vacation last September)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #48  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Dagmar - I have a friend who's originally from Flint, Michigan (I think it was Flint - somewhere right on the Canadian border, at least). He told me that every year on July 2 or 3 there would be a massive fireworks display put on cooperatively by both the US city and the Canadian city in honor of both holidays. He loved it and those memories have stayed with him. I love fireworks too, just not the noise!

I'm looking forward to spending time with my friend this weekend. I haven't seen her in 2 years, so although she knows I've lost weight I'm sure there will be a bit of an awkward (to me) "reveal" moment when we first see each other. Not my favorite. Also, she's a bit of a foodie and has already sent me the names of a couple of Southern cuisine restaurants she wants to try out in Asheville. I don't mind that, of course, but I'm trying to remember that I don't need to pig out to enjoy my time with her. (It's always easier to remember how bad overeating makes me feel AFTER I've already done it.)

Back to my morning coffee and morning essay grading.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Jen, I am sure your friend will be surprised to see how much you have lost and how great you look. Have a great time on your visit.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #50  
Workin' It

Rough morning for me - I got pretty sick yesterday afternoon and evening, ended up sleeping a lot and eating very little all day. I'm still somewhat fuzzy headed and a little feverish and light headed this morning, but at least not nauseated anymore. Working on eating a little yogurt to see how that works for me.

everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #51  

Yuck Shannon-- hope you recover quickly!!

Jen-- have fun with your friend!!! She will be thrilled to see you and maybe a little jealous-- soak it in! My best friend from high school was always smaller than me-- she has stayed relatively the same size-- up a little, down a little since then. Since she is in Texas, I now only see her about once a year. She is always amazed at how I look as I think she still pictures me larger and she asks for a lot of diet and exercise advice.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #52  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Jen, have fun with your friend!

Dagmar, have fun on your vacation!

I wish I was on vacation . . . but my vacation isn't scheduled until the end of August. At least we get a three day weekend. Saturday morning DH is running a 4th of July race (4.5 miles), then we have a ticket for a charity car wash and I have a haircut. That's all we have scheduled this weekend. We may be involved in more business involving DH's grandma. She has apparently now decided she does not want to go to assisted living and wants to go back to her house. The fact is that before this incident she was doing okay in her house, was able to drive, cook, clean, etc. Aside from the problem with the blood clot that landed her in the hospital, the real problem now is recovery from the broken ankle that had to have surgery. For now at least she needs a walker to walk, and we don't know if she'll be able to drive or not. I think the driving is the real sticking point -- if she can't drive, IMO she has to move into a facility where they can drive here where she needs/wants to go. In any case it sounds like she is at least going back to her house for a trial period, and last night I helped MIL look up information on medical alert devices. We don't want her to be alone in her house without at least an emergency button bracelet so she can call for help if she falls (esp. w/the broken ankle).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Shannon~feel better~

Dagmar~have a great holiday weekend

Jen~I'm sure you and your friend will have a great time!

Jessica~your DH's grandma and my Dad...I think Dad finally realized he shouldn't drive. At least, he hasn't told me he's been driving. Who knows. But my weekly calls to him seem to go on and on--an indication that he's lonely. My brother and SIL stop by several times a week and they have him over to their house often for dinner, and I know neighbors stop in all the time, but he's still lonely. We'll be up there a couple times in August, but not for more than a day each time.

My weekend plans include movies (what's new?). Transformers at the IMAX, probably Beginners Friday night (it's back!) and who knows what else. No fireworks, I don't like the crowds and besides sitting on the lawn in the dark at 110 degrees isn't too pleasant.

DH and I are resuming our Friday lunches out tomorrow. I picked a Mediterranean place for gyros. It's just a step above fast food, so I know the portions won't be huge. Last night we ordered pizza and I made a salad. DS was ecstatic! And I didn't go overboard and my weight remained the same. I have a pasta dish for dinner tonight and as long as I keep my portion small, I'll be okay. Next week I will not be doing Medifast full time--just a couple snacks here and there along with my own choices for food and I'll be keeping it as low cal, low carb as possible. I do still wish to lose 12 more pounds and I'm confident I can do it (I've done it before!!!). Oh, and I found a fabulous sounding recipe for Saturday night. It's Italian--thinly sliced steak, smeared with a garlic paste and then capped with proscuitto and rolled up and braised. Then a whole bunch of sauteed veggies with tomato sauce and then the meat rolls added. Doesn't that sound good (and healthy)?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #54  

Yummy Allison. Can I come for dinner?

I am grouchy about living in California today. Today is the last day I won't pay sales tax when buying on amazon.com. I have saved so much money and do most of my shopping on amazon. I'm busy today trying to decide if I need to buy anything before the new tax rule goes into affect!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #55  
Workin' It

Allison - that recipe sounds fantastic.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #56  

For those of you interested in the recipe, go to Italianfoodforever.com, choose recipes, then choose beef. The name is called Beef Rolls In Red Wine Tomato Sauce. For some weird reason, I can't link the exact page.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #57  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

That recipe sounds good! I don't try tons of new recipes (it's often hard for me to get the motivation ) but that one I just might attempt.

Jessica - The situation with DH's grandmother sounds tough. I think about issues like this when it comes to my own parents.

So I'm packing for my trip and my suitcase is still half-empty, which is a problem because I'm a champion overpacker. Now I'm all worried I've forgotten something essential! Maybe I'll remember it in the middle of the night and wake up and start packing some more.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #58  

Jen~You and I must be polar opposites. When I'm bored I StumbleUpon food and cooking blogs to get inspiration! Food Gawker is one of my favorites. While I cannot consider myself a Foodie (too intimidated by those who do), I do relish making a new recipe and trying out something new. Last spring, I made a leg of lamb roast for the first time and used the leftovers for gyros. My kids were so impressed and said I needed to make this again and again. Also, at Christmas, I attempted (and succeeded) at my first prime rib roast. Sometimes I get the joy of just reading the recipes and seeing the pictures without even having to make them and taste them (which is probably for the best!). But I do have a drawer overflowing with printed out recipes--many of which I've yet to try.

My daughter is currently packing for 10 days in Portugal. I haven't seen her for a couple of weeks and I'm having a sad heart not being able to hug her one last time before she leaves. But she's so exited to go. She says she's been running all around her apartment thinking of this and that that she should not forget to pack (kind of sounds like how I pack!). And I'm really good at packing stuff that I NEVER wear. Why? It just adds pounds to the already heavy backpack. I think it's a female thing....
Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #59  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Michele, you mention Chinese food like it's a bad thing, an I'm curious- when I'm trying to be OP with what I eat, and thinking about eating out, I aim for Chinese- I can come in under 500 calories easily with something like chicken and broccoli in garlic sauce, szechuan chicken, or shrimp and snow peas, with 3/4 c. of white rice (or better yet, brown rice if the restaurant carries it). Why do you find it to be bad for you?

I'm feeling very down because I just finished a week of hospital-based work (we take turns doing the hospital consult service; I do it one week in 7) in which I was only able to get in a workout 1 day during the week, and I managed to gain nearly 2 pounds in that week even though I stayed at/under 1500 calories every day (no binging, not even much snacking). I'm now back to my pre-June weight of 123. UGH.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #60  

Chinese is usually high in sodium which makes us retain water. Thus a temporary gain and some swelling.

So sorry you're back up....sucks. Been there, done that, as we all have. Just time to readjust.