Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #1  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Default Maintainers Moving in June

It's summer at last, and everyone's outdoors, showing skin. There's no covering up & hiding yourself in sweaters & jackets & coats anymore. Uh-uh, it's just too hot for that stuff. There are bare arms & bare legs everywhere you look. This is why you've been working that body of yours. (Well, that & your health, if you're interested in that sort of thing. )

So get out there & keep on moving through June.

Keep on movin', don't stop,
Keep on movin', don't stop, no ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCC0eXSAhYE
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

Wednesday, June 1:

45 minute spin class
30 minutes Pilates mat routine

Even when walking to the gym at 5:30 AM for spin class, I no longer need a sweater or any kind of coverup. And in the crowd headed for the train station, which is a block further in the same direction, the older men have pulled out their lightweight woven hats & the women are wearing summer dresses, lightweight & floral-printed & rippling. Everyone's got on sunglasses, particularly as the station is due east & the light can be blinding when you meet it head-on.

Last edited by saef; 06-01-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #3  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hey Saef! Went to the Blue Plate diner-- no clam chowder But was fun and tasty. I'm aiming to post back here with some movement on a daily basis, even if it is a shortie workout. I want my muscles back!!!!!!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

KC!

Thanks for starting the thread, saef. It's good to hear summer's arrived in New York. It's trying to get here. My neighbour's yellow roses are out, and climbing up the house, threatening to lift the guttering.

Half a day in the garden and almost all the rubble has gone and the gravel on the paths. It's looking good. Turves will be lain tomorrow to patch the lawn. (Someone left them by the roadside with a notice, "Free. Ordered too much. About 5 sq m.". Hence the scramble to clear the rubble and gravel. I'm thrilled.)

Gymn tomorrow.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

June 1: 90 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals: 1 day
90 minutes
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #6  
in development

Thursday

Gymn but I found I'd sprained my wrist by carrying bits of slate in one hand (fool!) and crocked my back (again!) by shovelling gravel. So I did very little and felt sick with pain and chagrin.

Now in bed, spitting feathers. I have mown the lawn (idiotic!). Plans for tomorrow include laying turf and planting veg. I think the sensible course of action is to supervise the DB and fiddle about with a hose pipe.

I cannot believe myself sometimes. But it's June and the evenings are long and the weather is lovely.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
Hey Saef! Went to the Blue Plate diner-- no clam chowder But was fun and tasty. I'm aiming to post back here with some movement on a daily basis, even if it is a shortie workout. I want my muscles back!!!!!!
Hey, Kitty! So you're off summering already? For the long holiday weekend? Bouillabaisse, that's what I had there: Clam chowder's European cousin. I like that place very much -- there aren't enough good places like that up there, which surprises me. Though there's the CIA & also I did have a nice lunch in Millbrook last summer only I can't remember the name of the place. We sat outside. It was bistro-ish. (ETA: Husband of my late lamented friend who lived in Kinderhook said a place called Lispera's in Chatham is also good.)

Birchie, I love the word "turves." I must confess, I had not known there was a plural. Please take care of yourself, which is what you always tell me, so of course, I must return the favor.

Thursday, June 2:

45 minutes arc trainer, hill intervals, resistance at 9
60 minutes Pilates class

The Pilates instructor is still into her Tracy Anderson thing. We did 100 consecutive crunches, changing positions slightly through them five different times. I can't tell whether the changes in position actually worked different parts of my abs, really, but I think what they do is distract you from the monotony & keep you going.

Last edited by saef; 06-02-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

Friday, June 3:

10 minutes rowing on the Concept 2 as a warmup, which gets me just past 2,000 meters
60 minutes weights
45 minutes elliptical, resistance at eight, half backward

I felt somber at the gym today, with my mind on the scale number, which I did not like. At all. So it was nice when an older woman whom I often see at the gym, but have never spoken to, caught my eye when I was racking up a weight & said approvingly that it was heavy. "You work hard," she said. I thanked her, and we chatted for a moment about the batwing arm problem & how stubborn it is, despite all our efforts.

Also, I did assisted pullups & dips. With the machine set at 16 pounds. I did this last, at the very end of my upper body workout. Still, it was not difficult, just a bit uncomfortable in the last reps. I'm going to try at 15 pounds next time.

I do not really lift heavy, it's just that my gym's culture includes a lot of women who don't work their upper bodies or arms very much, at least not using weights. I would say the yoga body is what is most admired.

Last edited by saef; 06-03-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #9  
in development

Gardening today but I am taking regular breaks with the cold pack. Thanks, saef. And fie on that number you saw! Is it humid? Have you eaten a little more salt than usual?

I am so pleased with how things are finally shaping up outside. The garden's small so you have to do things in the right order to use the space but most things I'd saved (timber, rubble, gravel, slate, shreddings, compost) have now been swallowed up and it's looking on the verge of fabulous. I might do another hour whilst the DB's at cricket tonight rather than go for a walk.

Gymn and work tomorrow.

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-03-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #10  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Lol, I DID have the bouillabaisse and it was good I was there on a 10th year anniv celeb with DH (kids left home with my mother and SIL). We did extensive hiking and fine dining. Was lovely.

nothing done upon my first post. except binge, but that doesn't count
4 mile run with my four legged friend, yesterday.
aiming for a 1-2 mile run with light hand weights but might do weight lift vid instead. puppy tired out today.

happy sunny day!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #11  
Workin' It

I am going to get back to posting my exercise and food - some accountability will do me good I think....
everyone!

6/1: ran 4 miles in the park in 98 degrees to celebrate National Running Day, 30 min yoga hip opener flow before bed
6/2: full body weight workout - medium weight day - and 40 minutes/10.6 miles on the stationary bike before work
6/3: off day from heavy exercise, planning some yoga when I get home
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
June 1: 90 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals: 1 day
90 minutes
June 2: in a funk and didn't make it to the gym

June 3: 42 minutes running on treadmill (4 miles)

Totals:
2 days
132 minutes
Old 06-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #13  
Girl Gone Strong

Saturday, June 4:

55 minute spin class (supposed to go for an hour but one song skipped)
60 minute Pilates class

I'm in low spirits today. The gym helped only a little. Too many things seem unmanageable: My workload, as there are a lot of documents to work on connected with a product launch; my weight, as I feel physically ungainly, which may be psychological; and also a vague floating dissatisfaction with life. Not enough fun stuff happening. I need to do more fun stuff.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #14  
in development

Saturday

Gymn. I did 2,000m on the rower, inspired by saef's warm-up distance. It took me 13 or so minutes, I think. Then I did some physio exercises. And some other yoga/stretching. Shannon - I can no longer do the downward dog with heels on floor. I think my form was hopeless before (feet not facing forward) so now I'm back into stretching my calves like mad. Let's encourage one another.

Now at work, trying to sit upright, gracefully. I'm with you, saef, about documents. Hope you can fit in something fun today. I find even a little something helps. As in not a little food something.

KC - you've got a puppy?

Michele - glad you're here.

Glad you lurkers are here, too.

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-04-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
June 2: in a funk and didn't make it to the gym

June 3: 42 minutes running on treadmill (4 miles)

Totals:
2 days
132 minutes
June 4: was going to do Bikram Yoga but the one instructor I didn't like was there so I left and went to the gym with dh. I'll try again tomorrow.

30 minutes elliptical
20 minutes stairmaster

Totals:
3 days
182 minutes