Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Sending supportive thoughts, Allison. It's so tough to walk that last mile.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thank you everyone. It was hard but needed to be done.

I guess because of his Laryngeal Paralysis, he had a lot of fluid in his lungs. After they administered the drugs, they laid him on his side and it all came out of his nose. I feel bad as DS was with us and this was clearly the most graphic of the three euthanasias that I've witnessed. He seems to be doing okay, though. Poor baby, no wonder he was crying.

But thank you for all your good thoughts. As hard as this was, in comparison to watching my Mom slowly die on her own was probably worse. I don't understand why we don't have euthanasia for the terminally ill.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Allison .

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #19  

Red face new car time - this is silly

I'm going to buy a new Hyundai Elantra Touring. I've been waffling for almost a year now partly because I'm so attached to my little Corolla.

Hyundai are offer "0%" financing right now too so it's time to get off my arse and buy the damn car.

I'm feeling very sad about little Raaki though (my Corolla). Yes that's . It's just a car (in my mind I said he as I've always considered him to be a boy) but I have such a history with this car. My only new car ever, and such a joy to drive. And it's been such a GOOD little car.

I hate the idea of turning him over to strangers who will drive the crap out of him and not take care of him the way I have. I wish there were some other way to "retire" him but that's just silly!

I will now go and take a sanity pill.

Dagmar
Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #20  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Allison - I also think that euthanasia for humans should be legal.

Dagmar, enjoy the new car.

I'm working from home today and it's thunderstorming. I spent the first couple hours of work moving from room to room trying to find somewhere Carter would be calm enough to stop whining! The Thundershirt was not effective (although it seems to be effective at calming him when he's excited for other reasons). I think I found the key though -- I put on some relaxing classical music, and he stopped whining almost immediately and went to lay down on his dog bed. It's also not storming as hard now, but hopefully this trick will keep working for the rest of the day.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hugs to you Allison. I totally agree about euthanasia also. I'm sure your house is quiet and sad today.

Congrats on your new car Dagmar. You'll have to name him/her! Color?

My dumb puppy was up ALL night. I seriously don't know what his issue was. It was hot and maybe that kept him up? He just wanted to play and bark. He would settle down and I'd fall asleep and then he'd start up again. Dh snored through it all though claims he heard him! I'm in the bookroom trying to file thousands and thousands of books with about one hour sleep. It should be intreresting....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #22  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Oh, Allison. I am so sorry.

I must say, your post reminded me of watching my father die, in a manner disturbingly similar to your dog's passing. (The overflooding, I mean. With him, it was stomach bile. He had stomach cancer.) With him, though, the question of euthanasia never arose, since his mind was quite clear, though darkened with fear & anger, and he very much wanted to live.

So I'm having somber thoughts today about what kind of ending awaits each of us, and that, inevitably, odds are, some of them won't be peaceful.

The thing is to remember how lucky we were to have certain moments, when everyone was laughing & looking forward to something good that was about to happen to us.

Last edited by saef; 06-15-2011 at 03:17 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #23  
Workin' It

I'm so sorry Allison. I agree with you on the euthanasia as well.

Michele - sorry you were up all night!

Dagmar - enjoy the new car! I like Hyundai.

Jessica - hope Carter calms down. Thunderstorms are hard for me, I imagine that they must be worse for dogs who don't understand what is going on.

I'm very anxious today - worried about DSS. He doesn't eat much at all. Never eats lunch at daycare, has pretty much stopped eating breakfast. Yesterday he had that ensure kids chocolate milk for breakfast and wouldn't eat anything else then got to daycare and got too hot and threw up. I picked him up early, just after lunch time, and he looked terrible. Pale, circles under his eyes, lethargic. Wouldn't eat much dinner last night, had to fight for every bite he had. He is also staying home two days per week while his mom works from home and is spending pretty much all of his time playing video games, so never gets outside anymore. We have him again tonight and I'm curious to see how he is going to look after having eaten a little smidge of breakfast this morning. He is at his mom's today, so theoretically he will eat something for lunch.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #24  

I haven't got the new car yet. I just finally made the decision about which one I'm going to buy and will test drive it Saturday to see how I like it. It will be metallic blue and his name will be Lafayette (from True Blood rather than the french general).

Shannon re DSS - health problem or attention seeking behaviour?

saef Life is precious. We have to try to enjoy at least several small moments each day. Easy for me to do with the dogs - they are always positive, cheerful, and up for almost anything!

I am now going to go out in my garden and do battle with the vine that has taken over our back door, fence, and gate.

Good evening all!

Dagmar
Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #25  
Workin' It

Dagmar - I suspect attention or control rather than health problem. Dig Lafayette, both from True Blood and the French general actually. I grew up in a little town in nowhere Georgia named LaGrange - legend was that Layafette went through there and named it because the countryside reminded him of his farm. So we had Lafayette Square in the center of town with a big fountain with a statue of him.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:44 AM   #26  

Shannon Cool! I'm very deficient in my history knowledge. Isn't LaGrange also the name/subject of a ZZ Top song?

These (in colour) are excerpts from today's headline story in the Toronto Star:

"This is releasing tension, man,” said a man in his twenties who set a garbage can on fire. “What else are you going to do when you lose the Stanley Cup? You riot.”

“It’s tough being a Canucks fan right now,” said a dejected Curtis Dick, during the game. “Only thing to do is go find something to eat."

I'm firmly in the second guy's camp. Sometimes it's embarassing to be a Canadian. I cna't believe they burned a car because they lost the damn hockey final. I am a hockey fan. I watched part of the game, ate a cheese sandwich, and then went to bed. Lke a normal person.

Dagmar
Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #27  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Lafayette is, of course, also one of the hounds in Aristocats (1970 Disney film). He's the sidekick to Napoleon.

I am rather impressed with myself for this intervention as I famously know nothing at all about films.

Also good that I'm eating my lunch* and reading up on 3FC.

(* Oh, it's the usual, since you ask. Pile of salad, tin of sardines and a few oatcakes and rye biscuits.)

Have also been to the gymn this morning.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #28  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

Working in the heat is making me extra tired, combined w trying to stick to OP eating, is starting to get to get to me. Last night I was so, so angry w BF for eating TWO pieces of the chicken breast I'd cooked. Now there's only one piece left, and I'd intended the leftovers to be dinner for the two of us Friday. Actually not a big deal - which I knew last night - but it was the thing that pushed me over the edge. I just didn't talk to him, bc I knew my temper was irrational. After a full night's sleep I feel better this morning and am happy I get to spend most of the day inside. But I have been sticking to my "losing" calorie levels with a few minor exceptions, and getting in good workouts and long walks w the dog. The scale is slowly moving the right way.

Silver, great job getting to the gym and eating a healthy lunch! Keep it up!

Dagmar, enjoy the new car once you get it! I'm glad you're getting yourself a new toy, you deserve it! I'm sure any time spent w Lafayette from True Blood would be a fun time.

Shannon, I know communication w DH's ex is difficult, but has he talked to her about working together to solve these eating issues? I know they've been going on for some time.

Michele, sorry about the dumb puppy, hope he was quieter last night. As my mom would say "puppies are like that". My dumb puppy will not stop jumping on the bed early in the AM to try and wake me up. When I'm tired and could sleep for 30 more minutes, this is a big problem. So sad for her she got shut in the crate and I did sleep 30 more minutes. I wish your problems were so easy to fix.

Allison, many s. Even when you know it's necessary it's such a tough decision to make. I like to picture Buddy joining my former dogs, Smokey and Huxley, in doggie heaven eating lots of cheese and chasing cars with them.

Have a good Thursday all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Yes, Dagmar, La Grange is a ZZ Top song. Love that song!

And I love Lafayette in True Blood. Thankfully season 3 starts soon!

My weight is finally dropping again. I went a whole week with nothing and was kind of getting worried. But I dropped a pound yesterday and hope to see a drop again tomorrow.

Thanks for all the hugs! I know Buddy is at peace now--no more hacking and coughing and falling.

So reading about Michele and Dewey...my DH asked on the way home from the vet the other day how long we'd last as a one dog family. To tell you the truth, I've been window shopping for a couple of years. I don't really want a puppy, though. Probably going to go the rescue route but need to find one that both Chico and Ringo will get along with (not that that should be a big problem, but I don't want to disrupt their lives too much).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Going out to breakfast with friends. I think I'll order an omelette, no hash browns and no toast,shouldn't be too bad.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote