Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

indeed.

Michele, I'm glad you are feeling better again today. Are you going to try Bikram again?

Saef, cheers to feeling life is manageable! I hope the scale doesn't show anything too terrible for you. =)

It's 9:30 and I'm already thinking about having a glass (or a few) of wine with dinner... ugh. But I made sun tea - that with a squeeze of lemon will be a much better choice.

Off to a meeting, then plowing through the rest of the day. Keeping my fingers crossed "exercise" will still be on the radar this evening

Hope you all have a great day!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Iris-- I've been doing Bikram almost daily for 2 weeks. I bought a month pass to try it out. I've really been enjoying it. I am still feeling kinda weird though-- not much energy and off and on chills. I keep thinking I'll skip working out and then I feel better. I guess I'll decide after work. I just don't want to go and pass out there!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Either that or a Meg intervention.
I think Meg is letting us muddle through on our own but she's definitely watching and listening. If we ALL go off the rails she'll help!

I feel much better today - amazing what being out on a sunny day will do for morale. Had a long chat with one of Chloe's owners - don't know if they realize what kind of effort they will have to put into correcting behaviours that shouldn't have been allowed in the first place. We'll see.

I'm going off on a strawberry binge this evening. Should cost me about 150 cals and leave me stuffed!

Great eveing all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Dagmar, a strawberry binge sounds perfect! mmmm!

Michele, I've done bikram only a handful of times.... really liked it but it's so expensive!

Eating today has been all right, except for the evening beers Actually we had hamburger helper but I added some mushrooms and made green beans with it.

I'm in a kind of difficult situation right now with jobs... my current position is temporary (grant-funded research). I'm not sure if I posted about this before, but I'm looking for summer or semi-permenant work since I'm applying to medical school and could potentially begin in August of 2012. Anyway, I'm torn between Arizona and Pennsylvania. I've applied for two jobs here in AZ, got interviewed for one but didn't end up getting an offer for either. I've applied for one job in PA which I'm phone interviewing for tomorrow, but there are two or three more I'm thinking of applying for there. Anyway, the job I am interviewing for is essentially weeding and other tasks on an organic farm which is a seasonal position that probably won't pay much but should be really nice. The other positions I would apply for are more medically relevant and would likely pay more and may even offer benefits - but of course as the time frame stands I'll have to make a decision on the farm job prior to hearing back from the others.

Anyway, that was a long paragraph to say that I'm not sure what to do right now.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #35  
Workin' It

Today has been a seriously busy day for me, this is the first time I've had a minute to stop and get to the computer. I ran at the park this afternoon - did 4.5 miles with my bluetooth headset on talking to people from work. Blah. I'm about go do some yoga myself, but not Bikram, just podcasts.

More from down South. We do seem to all be in a similar place. I wonder if the two year mark is the 'seven year itch' of the maintenance world. Just make it through this and it is all good then, right?

Michele - glad you are feeling better today, the low energy and chills worries me though. Maybe you are coming down with something? I used to take a Bikram yoga class and I remember the teacher telling us that we would rid our bodies of toxins as the class progressed and that we might have some side effects after 2-4 weeks. I'm thinking I might remember chills and lethargy, but still keep your eyes open.

Iris - I hope the job search goes well honey. The sun tea sounds fabulous.

Saef - I'm glad that you are having a good week in the midst of all the chaos around you.

Dagmar - I just don't know how either of us have eaten enough over target to gain several pounds in 3 weeks, but that is happening to me too. Urgh.

Bargoo - with you on hating the X- sizes....

Do you think that stress makes it magnify for us? We go up a little, we worry, we go up more, we worry more, etc?

DH & our neighbor are listening to Weird Al on vinyl - going to be a somewhat odd backdrop for my yoga. I'm planning a greek yogurt snack after I'm finished, maybe with an iced hazelnut coffee from my Keurig.

Night all!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #36  

Good luck with your decisions Iris. Those are very different places to live and different positions too!

Shannon.... hmmm... that is interesting. Maybe I am ridding myself of some toxins. I did go today and felt a little off but made it through fine. I have been STARVING all day which is kinda weird....
Old 04-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #37  

Shannon Weird Al? Wow! is he still around? "Eat it, just eat it!" etc. And I like your theory about 2 years of maintenance being our "7 year itch".
on the exercise .

Michele I had some interesting things (TMI to specify) happen with my body when I went to a "yoga camp". I did several forms of yoga every day and also ate their vegetarian fare. I was starving every minute (I like my animal proteins) but felt light and clean at the end of the 3 days. It did feel like detox.

Iris sounds like you are going to have an interesting summer. Good luck on the job whatever you decide. And medical school - WOW!

saef I hope your internal instrument panel readings align at serenity.

I am a happy camper this morning. Funny how being "just 1/2 lb. above my red line" is causing me to smile. I ate clean for 5 days and lost 5 lbs. Seems so simple when I read this .

TGIF!!!

Dagmar
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

You know, it was at about the two year mark of my maintenance that I gained 5 pounds. And 5 the next year. And 5 the next year. And 5 this year.... I think you're onto something, Shannon. Now to reverse it!

DD is coming home for the weekend. Partly to say good bye to my in-laws (they leave at the end of the month) and partly to pick up stuff (glasses, contacts, and her passport). I don't know if she's still dieting so I'll have to check with her to see if I need to have anything special on hand.

My office assistant is sick. She called in sick two days, came in for part of the day yesterday, and I'll be surprised if she comes in today. Several years ago she was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer and it's flared up. Luckily this time she's not bleeding but the doctor says he'll probably have to do surgery now. All this is probably due to her friend coming into town and them partying it up. Every time this happens she says never again, and then it happens again. She's supposed to be on a very strict diet, but she caves from time to time (as we all do). Anyway, it means a lot more work for me--and doing some stuff I rarely do, so it's more challenging. It sure helps the day go by faster!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #39  

Dagmar-- I'm with you. The scale is cooperating at the moment which puts me into an entirely different frame of mind. I don't trust the scale at this point though as I've seen it reverse and go back up just as quickly. I'm hoping that prayer and determination keep it going the way it should be!!

Jessica-- I did go to yoga yesterday. I debated skipping but I thought if I'm trying to detox to let my body do it! I struggled some with my balance but otherwise seemed fine. Today I am achy and sore all over and just feel worn out. Not sure why.... going to consume copious amounts of coffee and TGIF!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #40  

Forgot to say-- Allison-- have fun with your dd!
My dd is coming home next weekend and my dh wants to go to our fave Italian restaurant so I already know I have one off plan meal to budget for. Hopefully we can keep the rest of the weekend healthy. She said she might try Bikram Yoga with me but I have a feeling she will back out-- we'll see. She also wants to see Water for Elephants. Loved the book and can't wait for the movie!!

Speaking of movies-- anyone (Allison?) seen anything good recently? Dh and I rarely go to movies so we like them to be good. We were going to see Arthur last weekend but he got tied up (and very cranky) working on our taxes. Then I heard it was terrible!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Michele~I've been too busy to see any movies. But DH is reading Water for Elephants so we can go see it when it comes out. Glad to hear your weight is cooperating!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #42  
Workin' It

Lost my post... take two.

Scale was down for me today too - still at 131.2, but that is down from the 134.7 of earlier this week. I'll take it. Had to go to my MIL's to drop off her tv that I picked up from the repair shop, 70 miles round trip. Went for a run, trying to make up for the less than stellar outing yesterday. Did 10 miles, and judged by the crystallized salt all over my face and neck I must have sweated out an entire salt shaker. It is large enough pieces that I can see it on my face in the mirror. At home now, waiting on a delivery. Did some surgery on my Roomba, which seems to have been successful as it is working again. About to go work on a ceiling fan. Busy day. And, a thunderstorm is coming.

Michele - glad the scale is cooperating today and that you are feeling a little better. Enjoy the visit with DD! We haven't seen any new movies in forever.

Allison - also enjoy your visit with DD! and hope your assistant feels better soon.

Dagmar - Here's to a good scale day! This was classic Weird Al that they were listening to, I don't think he is actually making anything new right now.

Good day everyone! Off to ceiling fan-ness.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #43  

Michele I saw "Hanna" last weekend. The script is a pretty standard story but the acting performances by Saoirse Ronan and Cate Blanchett were excellent. Also saw "The Adjustment Bureau" a couple of weeks ago and didn't particularly like it (except for Terence Stamp, NYC and the angel's notebooks). Saw "Rango" about a month ago and loved it (but you have to be a fan of classic westerns to get a lot of the humour).

I am going to take a long, long hot shower and plant myself with my new "O" mag for the evening. The wind down at the beach was howling all day and flinging sand in our faces. We had surf worthy of Big Sur and the temp hovered around 4 C. Spring you say?

Good night all!

Dagmar
Old 04-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #44  

Pet sit starts in 30 minutes. Guess I'll get my rain gear on and go walk the dogs. I'll check in when I can.

Good Saturday all!

Dagmar
Old 04-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #45  

My body continues to do weird things this week. I do wonder if it is detoxing or if I'm still fighting something. Yesterday, I was sore all over, especially in my legs. Not sore like working out sore, but like sick, achy joints sore. I didn't exercise and I was certain I would wake up sick today. Today, while not 100%, most of the achiness has dissipated. The scale continues to cooperate too-- down almost 6 pounds from earlier in the week. I'm hopefully going to boot camp today. I haven't been in a few weeks and (I think) it will feel good to run and lift some weights. Haven't really been out of bed yet though, so the real test will be once I get up and moving more.