Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Glad your socializing went well Saef and that your routine can get back to normal. That does sound yummy!

Jessica-- I hope the podiatrist has some good answers for you. My 16 y/o dd had severe plantar fascitis when she was only 13. She got expensive orthotics, did exercises, and it did improve. Now it only flares up periodically.

I am feeling very sad and blue. I am just frustrated by my weight gain and I'm trying not to let it get me into a big funk but I'm failing.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #17  
Workin' It

Saef - the fish does sound fantastic. Hope you get back into your regular routine soon.

Michele - I'm sad and blue today over my weight myself, even though I brought it on myself. I hope you feel better.

Jessica - I hope that the podiatrist has some good info for you.

Dagmar - sorry that you had to lose Jasmine, but sounds like a good move with Chloe.

Allison - Hope the Clamato cocktail works.

I'm sabotaging myself more than anything else I do right now. I'm exercising, but I'm not staying on track with food. I get frustrated with my weight so I eat out of stress, then I pull back and restrict calories, then I get frustrated at no change and make a bad food choice again. I was pretty close on calories to target yesterday, but I had way too much sodium so feel bad again. Big cycle of badness. Argh. I just need to stop.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #18  

Shannon,
We've both been maintaining about the same amount of time. Maybe it is fairly common a few years in to hit some snags? I feel like crying and I'm thinking maybe it would be a good cleanse and I might lose some weight! Perhaps I need to read a sad book or see a sad movie....

Hugs to you!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #19  
Workin' It

Michele, I was just thinking the same thing. Have been thinking about you for the last few days while reading your posts. The emotions you are describing the last few days sound so familiar - I have been in that place for a few weeks now. I did great the entire month of February - exercised myself to death, watched my food tightly and cut calories by 200-500 cals per day on the food front for five solid weeks. My weight came down to 129 at the end of February, held it solid until 3/4 which was 128.9. I had a birthday party to host on 3/5, and admit I ate too much at the party and the day after. I tracked every single thing and went a total of about 1500 cals over maintenance over two days, and exercised both days. Woke up on the 7th at 133. The four pounds in a two days really freaked me out, and I have been spinning ever since. I got back down to 130.5 on 3/31, back up to 134.8 on 4/1 after 1000 calories over maintenance. Consistent exercise the entire time - different from my normal pattern of exercise, but still consistent and hard. I have been reeling the entire month of April and nothing seems to be changing. I know that 1000-1500 cals extra doesn't equal four pounds, not even the 2500 cals over, but I'm losing my mind over it. I restrict every other day, I exercise, my weekly calorie average is around 1900 every week even with high days some days. It is making me crazy. DH says I look great and he doesn't see a difference, but my pants are tight. Even my big pants.

Maybe a good cry would help both of us.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #20  

Shannon-- we should meet up somewhere and have a good cry together-- how about a nice spa?!

Everyone says I look fine but I'm hiding it well. Many of my clothes don't fit at all and I am horribly frustrated.

So weird to me because the first 2 plus years of maintenance were relatively easy. I'm just like you though-- I am so good it is sickening and then an event or something comes up (my trip to Vegas) and I slack up thinking how bad could it be-- and then it is BAD! My husband says I'm getting older. Thanks honey! But I don't think that is it.... Sigh....
Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post

Everyone says I look fine but I'm hiding it well. Many of my clothes don't fit at all and I am horribly frustrated.
That's the way I feel as well.

I went to get my hair cut today and sitting in front of the mirror was he** until she put the cape over me. Ugh.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #22  
Workin' It

Michele - spa sounds great. Let's all go and call it group therapy. I agree on the first two years - I thought they were difficult in places, but nothing compared to know. And I'm not doing much of anything differently. It has made me go back and reread posts from Jay and BrightAngel who have said similar things. You've seen my spreadsheet - I still use it every day and I can say for certain that I haven't drastically changed my food consumption, and some weeks it is lower than two years ago. I know that I gained some muscle mass, but that isn't what this is... I wore a pair of pants today that were accidentally shipped the wrong size by mistake. I'm appalled. I called a coworker and had her toss all my snack bars out of my desk drawer and am going back to packing every day - I'm not to be trusted right know with excess.

Allison - I hate the mirrors at the hairdresser. I saw myself in a reflection angled up from waist height toward my face last week and almost died.

I do notice that I still feel very bloated, and have for about three months now. I stopped the medicine I thought was causing it two weeks ago and haven't seen a change. I'm also back to being pretty irregular. Wonder if I need a checkup.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #23  

I just called and made an appointment with my endocrinologist. I haven't seen him in a year so they will do the complete thyroid workup again. I told them I had just had my thyroid checked and they said only one level was checked-- I hate that the regular doctor doesn't do the complete panel so you don't get the whole picture.

I'm hoping and praying that I see some results on my own before my appointment on May 3 but if not, hopefully my bloodwork shows something off kilter that can be adjusted.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Can I join in the group cry?

I never did get all the way to goal but I came darn close and then maintained my weight between 132-135 lbs. for over 2 years (sound familiar?). Now my weight's balloned up to 141 in 3 weeks and I'm finding it hard to care that my clothes are all too tight and I look like cr*p etc. etc.

I'm really, really frustrated (and totally bored) with having to do all the stuff I have to do for maintenance. So I don't do it and gain weight.

I wonder how people like Meg and other long-term maintainers handle this? They all post that they are happy working their programs.

All I want is to be able to eat bags of chips, drink beer, eat cake and cookies and ice cream and chocolate. Oh and pizza, lots and lots of pizza.

That's not so unreasonable, is it?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Dagmar, I like all that stuff, too, especially the cake, cookies and ice cream. BUT I also hate having to shop in the fat ladies store and wear clothes sizes that start with an X.

Last edited by bargoo; 04-13-2011 at 06:23 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Wow, I guess I am in good company with my recent failure at maintenance. Pizza, nachos, beer, wine, ice cream.... oh, and minimal exercise. I am an expert at talking myself INTO the food treats and OUT OF the workouts. This is NOT maintenance.

No one else seems to notice my body changes, either, but I can sure tell by the way my clothes fit. Blech! It lowers my self esteem which does not help in any way.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #27  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Looks like we could all use a group hug about now...
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #28  

How are the rest of you feeling today?
I feel a little better, albeit confused.

I went to Bikram Yoga last night and it was entirely different for me-- I sweat way more than usual-- I couldn't catch my breath and I had to sit down afterwards before I could even drive. Then, at home after my bath and dinner, I had the chills and thought I was getting sick. That went away leaving me with a weird headache. I feel almost normal this morning and get this-- the scale was down over 2 pounds-- huh?! Maybe I needed to sweat something out? I have no idea. I'm not breathing a sigh of relief because I'm still higher than I was just last week but maybe, just maybe, I'll start going in the right direction.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #29  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Michele, I wonder if you were indeed sick, or on the verge of getting sick, but your immune defenses mobilized successfully & fended it off. I mean, this probably happens to us pretty often, only we aren't usually conscious of it. We get something but it doesn't progress any further, and we never know about these near-misses.

I've felt relatively good this week, as if my life were manageable, if a bit too hectic -- so I'm expecting the scale to deliver a higher number on Friday, to cure me of the sin of hubris. Still, it would be nice if all the readings on the instrument panel inside me were aligned at normality, health & peace of mind. But that doesn't seem to happen very often, and if it does, they only stay that way very briefly.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Looks like we could all use a group hug about now...
Either that or a Meg intervention.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote