Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #346  
No description available.

Neurodoc, have you tried calorie cycling? I know you've tried pretty much everything. Rant away, my friend, rant away.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #347  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Hi 5-10ers! Sounds like the weekend was a mixed bag, but hope everyone is off to a good start this Monday...

midwife - thanks for the website link!

krampus - is the IF not helping any with the binges? are you bingeing in the window or just ignoring it when it you binge? *hugs* sooo hard, but you can do this!

ICUwishing - Im sorry to hear about your MIL and aunt, that is so hard Love your resolve post- weekend fail, let us know how the day went.

neurodoc - Have you tried playing around with higher cals, but different food makeup/time of day eating? Or more exercise to offset? Im sure you have…just thinking out loud I guess!

My weekend was rather uneventful. The local marathon came right past my condo as I was doing nothing Sunday morning, made me feel super lazy so I threw on some workout clothes and got my butt outside.

Bought myself a blender (smoothies!) and a George Foreman grill over the weekend and am already loving the ease of use of the grill!

Feeling like I almost have my 'body back' at 131, even though Ive still got a 5+ to go….have been religious with the low carb thing and will keep that up for another weekish before upping them carefully in small increments.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #348  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Neurodoc, I'm kind of with Jay. You may need to just pick a calorie level you can live with and then accept whatever weight your body decides it is going to be at that level.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #349  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

neuro - Rant as much as you need to! There isn't much about weight loss that's "fair". I can't add much to the suggestions already posted. Have you considered your stress levels/cortisol influences? Maybe a little yoga? Sleep? There seem to be a lot of non-diet opportunities to increase health that have the pleasant side effect of reducing fat.

xty - You sound delightfully positive! Glad you're getting your mojo back and into the groove!

Pleased to report that Monday ended up looking like just another day, back when I was losing. Came in at (worst case) 1670 cals, and that was including a medium glass of red wine and two squares of bittersweet chocolate. I'm going back to food journaling and calorie counting. 155.5 today, 1.0 down. Ticker will be brought up to date. I also need to reassess for my bigger goals - will do that next week after I get back from my long weekend. I'll be attending a wedding on the beach of Trunk Bay in St. John on Friday, and yes, you betcha, I will be accountable for what I stuck in my mouth when I get back. The journal is going along.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #350  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My 10 days in SLC did allow me to lose about 4 pounds, so for that I am happy. Now if only I could CONTINUE with the smaller meals and less alcohol...but so far I've pretty much failed. Today, however, I am going to save my pear for an afternoon snack instead of eating it at lunch in hopes that I won't be so ravenous when I get home from work.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #351  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

neuro Not much is "fair" about this stupid process. I think it's pretty clear that your binges are caused by pent-up misery over restricting. Have you considered just not counting or weighing? By now you must know how many calories most things have. Maybe it would be good to let your pants guide you?

alinnell Good luck and congrats on the 4 lbs loss!

ICUwishing A little late, but I am thinking the best of thoughts for your MIL and aunt. Happy at any rate to hear you are doing better. Epic fails happen to the best of us.

xty You should really look into being a healthy living/weightloss guru with a TV show. I'm amazed and really happy for your lightning-quick rebound into "your body!"

I feel like every post I make in this thread I'm making some new grand declaration I can't stick to. Maybe this is another, but for now I am playing the "put the numbers the heck away" game. Not weighing, calorie counting, measuring myself, or punitive restriction. Just eating what I want when I want. I want to be healthy and normal so badly that it seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy so far. Today I actually ate half my lunch and put the rest away for later. It may be the first time in history that I've shown that kind of casual restraint. I am very hopeful.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #352  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

krampus - control takes many forms! Your willingness to try new methods and not lock into one speaks volumes (IMO) about your health and normality. Methinks our bodies are actually very smart - they know what they need and how much and when. It's the tangled circuitry passing through the tongue and the brain that garbles the message. In quiet moments, we can overcome the distortion of the TV, habits, leftovers, etc.

Allison - yay you! Congrats on the 4#! I'm measuring my wine again, and just like you, saving a bit of lunch for an afternoon snack. It really seems to help tame the feed-monster that walks in the door after work. I've also put a pack of gum in the car, so that I can snag one as I pull in the driveway. Old strategies, but they worked.

1535 cals yesterday; 154.0, down 2.5 from Monday's debacle. I generally shoot for 1600, and I did find myself checking the fruit jellies to see what the calorie load is (I've got room, it's OK, right?). Nope. I walked away - and that was my NSV for the day. I WILL slay the sugar demon!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #353  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I've decided to take off to the Atlantic coast of France for a few days after Easter. Me and the DB.

Better get organised, n'est-ce pas? Heavy weights, protein, sleep.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #354  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Xty, I've been tempted by those appliances myself (Foreman grill and smoothie blender). MY DH claims they will just gather dust after the first couple weeks. Let me know if you keep enjoying them over time, will ya?

ICU, journaling (electronically, on the website Fatsecret), is one of the most useful strategies for keeping on the "straight and narrow" for me. I'm glad you've gotten back to it. BTW, I live in Okemos; what part of MI are you in?

I'm going to Washington DC on Saturday with my family for a week's vacation. We'll be meeting up with my parents as well as DH's. I'm looking forward to what I hope will be a lot of sight-seeing and maybe even some alone-time with DH when my folks take the kiddos for an afternoon or two. As always, the tricky part will be figuring out calories on the go, and striving hard not to overindulge when I'm trying hard to work off the pounds I recently added. The unpredictability of it has me a bit anxious (I will just blow a gasket if I gain ANOTHER 2-3 pounds by the time I get back), but also feeling very determined to enjoy myself on vacation WITHOUT using food as the "means of enjoyment."
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #355  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

neurodoc, I hope you can somewhat relax on your vacation. Enjoyment first. Maybe, just maybe, refusing to stress about food will result in not gaining.

silverbirch, oooh, have fun! I'm quite envious you can just pop over for a few days like that.

ICUwishing Walking away takes an incredible amount of willpower when sugar is involved. Glad to hear you're doing well!

Yesterday was good and continued to be good. I split a greasy modanyaki (fried noodles with cabbage, sweet sauce, mayonnaise, and cheese) with my mom for dinner, and we got "Happy Doll" sundaes from Baskin Robbins for dessert. I know I said I wasn't going to count, but I got curious and was pleased to find that the Happy Doll only has 230 calories.

I prepared myself a "pity party" lunch in anticipation of being sad that my mom left this morning to go back to America. I stuck chicken, pineapple and red pepper on bamboo skewers, and packed a huge salad to go with it. This morning I made breakfast for us - 1 fried egg, a piece of toast with some jam, and 1/2 a banana each.

It's hard to believe how sane I feel and how when I don't impose restrictions on myself, I still make good choices. I also can't help but notice my face looks much less fat in mirrors. I even cut my bangs short (using no mirrors, I should have my own TV show on blindfolded grooming) because I was feeling extra good.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #356  
No description available.

Oh, neuro, enjoy the trip! No gasket blowing, 'kay? Traveling can make the scale wonky too.

ICU, so much cancer all around! I think diet has a lot to do with it. I'm not familiar with sugar as the culprit other than its connection to obesity, but I think that there is a lot modern medicine doesn't know. Surely we can't go wrong choosing fruits and veggies over sugary, processed crap.

I'm getting lots of good vibes and good energy from all of you fabulous chicks! I'ts been a rough week. I think I've worked 80 hours since Friday. Too tired to count it up really. Food has not been tragic, surprisingly, but exercise has been mediocre. I ran on Saturday and that's it. Today will be giving my house CPR (why don't I have a housekeeper????), prepping for a weekend trip, catching up on writing. DS has track practice tonight so I'll plan to run then.

(I wanna go to France too!) whine whine whine
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote