Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #1  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Lightbulb Operation 5-10 (or more) for December

Summer is drawing to a close in the northern hemisphere and on the horizon twinkle the Festivals of Lights: Chanukah, St Lucia, Christmas, Diwali and no doubt many others.

Join this thread if you've 5 or 10lbs (or more) to lose. Be at your most healthy, svelte and gorgeous to sparkle during December.

silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I have been avoiding the ugly fact that I still have that same 5 lbs. to lose that I've had since God knows when.

I promised myself that I would lose it by my vacation. Which starts in 8 days. Perhaps the breadcrumbs and water approach?

Since DH is now nearing being on some sort of plan (he's yet to detail it but he's lost 6 lbs. by just cutting out snacking in the evening - AIGGGHHH!) I will again commit to taking off those final 5.

It's that or commit myself to another scenario altogether.

Goal by Christmas.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #3  
No description available.

I wanna be svelte in December. I wanna be svelte in December. I wanna be svelte in December!!

Thanks for starting the thread, SB! I've in!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Count me in! I'd like to complete my half marathon while somehow miraculously losing 5-10 lbs. I know is a talk complicated order, but I think it can be done. I just ordered a book about running/training while losing weight in hope it will give me some good tips on how to stay fueled whe losing. It looks like it will mean more focus on nutrients and more carbs than I'm used to. But I think I'm up for it! Good luck everyone!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, I always have 5 (and more) to lose, besides my friends hang out here.

I'm meeting 7 of my GFs who now live around the country in mid-October, and we have all committed to a 44 day "get healthier" challenge until that time, so maybe I can lose some more weight in that time.... This medication that has made me feel so dreadful the last 6 weeks, did take 5 lbs off. THe fact that I couldn't face many foods played a large part I'm sure. I've cut back to the middle dose and feel pretty decent most of the time. I see the doc on 10/4 to see if it's actually helping. Meanwhile, I can eat a larger variety of foods again. But still fill up fast, so I'm hoping for another 5 before I leave on 10/10...
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #6  
in development

Pat!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm back from the Cape, where I kept my contract with myself, and made good choices at restaurants, but had difficulty when my friends cooked at home, as I tried to balance good choices with being a good house guest rather than a diva full of unreasonable demands.

Things I did well:

- They drink as much as I'd thought they did, and as much as mutual friends told me they did. In fact, maybe a little more. They started on the rose with ice around 11 am every day. (Together, they had finished a case of 12 bottles of rose over the course of seven days.) I told them that I would only drink "one glass a day," and that it should be the best wine that came before me that day. This request was honored. I had my glass at dinner. On the first night, I was urged to "cheat" and "have more," but I held to it, and drank my Pellegrino (which I got them hooked on), and this worked out. This was easy; I never really wanted more. Wine does not call to me as some foods do.

- We went out twice. At dinner, I had a light bouillabaisse, told the kitchen to hold the orzo & instead give me a side of vegetables. At lunch, I had a piece of seared tuna on top of a garden salad.

- All three mornings, I got up just after 6 AM, when the husband was already up, had yogurt, fruit & dry whole grain toast & black coffee, and went for a run in the village of Wellfleet. On the first morning, I subsequently went to a nature center & walked for about an hour & a half, enjoying the curious salt marsh & heath habitat & looking at shorebirds. (I had never seen a black-bellied plover before.)

- We went into a gourmet chocolate & dessert shop, The Purple Feather, where they bought dark chocolate truffles. I was nearly swooning with desire inside but had nothing. Even after staring at gorgeous mounds of gelato.

- I walked by countless fudge shops and saltwater taffy shops, chocolate shops, ice cream stands. I went into a fudge & chocolate shop, alone, but only got a cup of black coffee with Splenda in it.

- I went by countless fried seafood stands & takeout places. I smelled fried clams nearly everywhere. I sat across from a guy eating fried shrimp on top of a mound of French fries and I turned down a shrimp.

- Driving home today, I ignored all the McDonalds at the rest areas.

- Once home, though tired, I went back out tonight because there was no food in the house & I bought a piece of salmon to bake for my dinner.

Things I did less well:

- I ate too quickly at dinner, and won the approving comment from the husband that I was a "good eater." The wife put me to shame. She is famous for eating slowly. She picks. She abandons. She throws out or gets doggie bags.Three quarters of her food gets taken away untasted. But I don't actually admire this behavior, as feminine as it seems & as unfeminine as it makes me feel. Something's wrong here. (See rose bottles consumed, above.)

- After coming back from my run, I had a second breakfast on two mornings. It was small: a cup of decaf & a slice of whatever eggy cheesy potato-y thing that the B&B owner had sent over that morning. I should mention that these eggy things were incredibly delicious & for me, counted as indulgences. Did I need them? No. Was I hungry? No. But I missed the usual protein I get a breakfast at home (almond butter, plain eggs). Also, I got to sit with the couple through their normal breakfast. Still, I probably should have said "no."

- Driving home from the visit, without any packed lunch, and not liking the McDonalds' option that the State of Connecticut offers at its rest areas, I ate too many handfuls of Trader Joe's cranberry, cashew, almond & whatever trail mix. And tonight, once in my apartment, unpacking, with nothing in the house, I found myself eating too many pieces of dried pears & apples. I did so well on my visit, only to return to a brief, almost vestigial kind of binge on the way home & at home. (I stopped both, but I did let them occur for a few minutes before I did that.) That's just, well, weird.

Oh, and I got my period yesterday. (Had to ask my guests to stop somewhere so I could pick up tampons. Why, at my age, do I still find that somewhat embarrassing?)

I'm wondering if I should weigh tomorrow to check on damage or if I should wait till Friday when I usually do it. I'm curious to see what happened, but I know I can't get an accurate reading because of having my period.

Last edited by saef; 09-04-2010 at 07:17 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi - I am so in. Just over 8 weeks ago i would have been happy to have set it at around 8lbs.
But I have fallen off the wagon - big time, I really have no idea why i abandoned my controlled eating habits and gone back to my old ways
all I know is that what took 6mths to remove - took a mere 2 months to regain.
I am trying to come to terms with it all - i at least have started up the exercise. Still need that get the food in control.
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #9  

Talking good morning all!

sznn I think falling off the wagon is part of maintenance. You have to do it once (although on a smaller scale) to see that yes, the weight really does come back and yes, you can take it off and keep it off again.

saef Did you enjoy being with your friends? It sounds like you made very good food choices. An occasional indulgence while on vacation can be a good thing. I have planned two for my Chicago trip.

Pat Glad to hear adjusting the dosage of your meds has made you feel a bit better. Good luck (there must be a better way to phrase that - I wish you success sounds kinda clunky) on the 44 day challenge with your friends!

I am on the second day of a long weekend. Had beer and chips Friday night (planned blowout) and then threw the rest of my portion out yesterday. After a nice dinner out (vietnamese soup and 1/2 a quail for me) talked DH out of drinking more beer last night and took him for a walk instead.

Vegetarian cuisine all day today, from Dagmar's Kitchen. After dinner snack of 3 local plums (yum!) and 1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt.

Paddling (if the weather co-operates) or a long bike ride for DH and myself.

Tomorrow is weigh-in day and I'm going to like the number.

Dagmar
Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

Dagmar, I enjoyed parts of the visit, but some of it was uncomfortable.

I've now learned how strange it is to be abstemious when those around you are drinking nearly all day, from 11 am onward, particularly at night when they start losing some ability to function.

I saw all kinds of opportunities for swimming, biking, hiking & other physical activities, which my hosts couldn't or wouldn't participate in, and felt myself straining at the leash a little. It's a new experience for me, to want to be out there with the active, sunburned, athletic people, who used to seem like another tribe to me. I can imagine a whole other kind of vacation other than basking in the sun & drinking & eating & reading. (Though I love to read, I could easily do it after some physical activity.)

My favorite parts of the visit occurred when we were out interacting with the extraordinary environment of the Outer Cape -- touring the dunes or walking on the beaches, or when I was out at the Audubon. I kept imagining how I'd spend my days there, if I were allowed free reign, and had my own rental.

But we had some good talks, and I like good conversation that runs deep, where you really share something of yourself & learn something about others.

This visit confirmed what I learned about myself a few years ago, but seemed to have forgotten: The kind of vacation that works best for me is when I'm off on my own during the day but rejoin others in the evening, and can then share something of what I saw & did. I need "alone" time or I start feeling confined & a little irritated.

Last edited by saef; 09-05-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

Okay, I checked the scale. I am actually DOWN .2 pounds from the Friday before this one. Yes, that's with vacationing and with having my period, which is on its third day.

This has happened before. I believe that I become stricter on myself during vacations, that the indulgences are probably within my usual calories -- fewer snacks, no nervous snacking from boredom -- more large meals, but it's hard to tell, because I am not a calorie counter. Also, what's probably critical is that I get in A LOT MORE incidental movement than on a workday when I'm at the laptop all day, mostly seated, with just my hands & fingers typing.

Last edited by saef; 09-05-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #12  
in development

Default Sunday 5th

Good to see you, Dagmar. Sounding positive!

Glad to hear your few days away went well, saef. I'd have found the amount the couple drink to be a bit challenging. (I don't drink at all any more since the penny dropped that I'm allergic to it - breathing difficulties, rapid terrible flushing, upset tummy, headaches.) Very interesting reflection that you're harder on yourself when away. I can be too but it's rebounded a few times when I should really have been nurturing myself and so then I fell off the waggon.

Sznn -

Feeling rather pleased with myself as I have almost got rid of my holiday weight. Almost back to <-. I'm planning food for the next few days (rolling programme to incorporate leftovers, available shopping time etc). Planning out each day in more detail in the morning. Back to my newly devised gymn programme in the morning (chest & triceps).

The DB said I was looking rather 'cheek-boney' last night. This is always a prelude to overall fat loss so that's good.

Otherwise, I've been trying to get things ship-shape and heading in the right direction for the autumn. A lot of graft and not much fun this weekend!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #13  

Wink no tippling allowed - sigh

silverbirch I have never been "officially" diagnosed but drinking any alcohol (other than 1 or max. 2 beers) gives me the same symptoms that you experience. Didn't used to (I was a big drinker in my 20's and 30's) but now my body will not accept this substance except in aforementioned quantities. Hope the same thing doesn't happen with chocolate

It can really be a challenge sitting with folks who are bigger drinkers because, as they get drunk, they tend to get kinda pushy about anyone who doesn't join in. I now use the line "any more than 1 and in about 20 minutes I will upchuck on your shoes due to an allergy - wanta see?" I have never, ever had anyone challenge me after delivering that with a straight face.

Dagmar
Old 09-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh I don't drink much any more at all. I'll have usually 1 glass of wine, which I usually pour in 2 parts if I'm at home. I drink it more slowly that way. I will occasionally have a marguerita on a trip or at a party, but never more than one. No physical symptoms from more, but the stupid gene comes out, and I'll have a nasty headache the next day.

Still hangining in there with the meds, though I'm back to feeling like crap today. It puts my diet back to applesauce, toast, tea, and plain pasta/rice. Nothing with protein tastes good, and veggies are out of the quetion. Thank goodness I have only a month more....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 183/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Ok, I'm in (again). I'm going to blame this thread for the fact that I lost 8 pounds since I joined the last one. I have ten more pounds to go to be at my goal weight, something I haven't seen since 1989!

I'll try to join in the conversation a bit more this time!

I'm going to a nutritionist tomorrow to talk about whether I might have some food sensitivities. I seem to always have a low grade headaches and stomach trouble. Nothing that stops me but it's really annoying! I have a feeling she might put me on an elimination diet (which would be reasonable) and wondering how that will affect my weight loss efforts.

I'm rowing three times a week now, and I absolutely love it. I look forward to it every time! I'm so loving having regular exercise like rowing and bike riding that doesn't feel like exercise at all.

Here's to being svelte for the winter! It's a good goal to have. I'm a little worried about what will happen once I can't get out and move outdoors, so whatever weight I'm at come November 1st I'm going to maintain over the Winter, and I'll be happy with that. So I'll see how much of those last ten I can lose before it gets too cold out!
Mahalia is offline   Reply With Quote