Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/125

Height: 5' 3"

Hi silverbirch, Mudpie, midwife, WaterRat, saef, sznn, and Mahalia!

Looks like this is a great, supportive group! I usually just lurk but feel compelled to join this “operation” as another way to keep myself accountable. I find your posts so helpful and inspiring.

I’m a maintainer only in the sense that I maintained a loss of 36 pounds from a high of 213 to my current 177. I actually had got to 139 a while back but then was sidelined by some family-related stress that I handled by eating indiscriminately. I’ve come out the other side of it stronger than ever. I learned a lot about myself and am determined to STOP using food to comfort myself.

My goal is to lose 10 pounds by Christmas (to 167) by sticking to my daily calorie allotment, recording those calories in FitDay, getting at least 30 minutes of exercise every day, and being accountable for all of those by posting regularly in this forum.

Good luck to all of us our goals!

Mary from Maine (now exiled to Massachusetts)
Mary from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #17  
Working My Way Back Down

Welcome Mary! I'm in same boat as you, but baby steps will get us (back) to goal in the long run. I'm originally from MA, had grandparents in ME, and now my BIL and wife live there, as does their older daughter and her DH. A part of the world I'm very familiar with though I haven't lived there myself since 1973!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #18  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

I'm with all of you. I want to be svelte in December silverbirch. Dagmar, midwife, Pat, saef, sznn, Mahalia and Mary, I'm with you on this operation. I want 8 pounds eradicated from my body. I was on track for a couple weeks then I had the worse case of PMS I have ever had. If it was edible, I was dreaming of it. I didn't care about the long term effects. Mostly I ignored the ridiculous cravings. But not completely. So I feel fat and bloated after two days of a lackadaisical thought process. Back to square one. After the morning blahs, I shook them away and was back on track from lunch on.

Svelte in December means svelte in my bikini in Cancun. I am so in on this trek.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #19  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Dudes, I am in for the full monty- 10 big ones. Really I will feel super fab with 8 but love to shoot for the moon.
Told hubby last night, back to the nightly daily plate.com computer-fests.
crazed at work,
hi to all....

Last edited by kittycat40; 09-11-2010 at 07:50 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #20  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Howdy folks! While I'm in my maintenance range right now, I wouldn't mind dropping 3lbs. Although to be fair, I think I need to be on this thread more as "Operation Don't Gain 5-10lbs in December!"
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #21  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Although to be fair, I think I need to be on this thread more as "Operation Don't Gain 5-10lbs in December!"
Customise as appropriate! Good to see you back, Jessica.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #22  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

I'd like to join this one, and am in the "customize as appropriate category".

I would like to shed five vanity pounds.

Thanks very much for having the thread.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #23  
in development

SilverLife - good to see you, cousin.

I feel I'm turning a corner. My tummy is less terrible. By Sunday's weigh in I should definitely have reached <-- current weight. Dear, dear.

My trusty tools and weapon are having evening meals planned ahead, writing down my daily food plan each morning and having a 6 week exercise plan. Going to the gymn each morning (but not overdoing it as I'm easing back in). All this is freeing up my brain which is essential. I like routine and am hopeless at doing more than one thing at a time. It does my head in.

Stick at it, everyone. My heart's desire is a pair of winter trousers that fit and are warm. (I think some of you have heard this before.)
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #24  
No description available.

As well as Saef did on her trip, I did terribly. On Tuesday morning I was a full 20 lbs above my happy weight. Bad bad news. I am also in for the Full Monty, Miss Kitty. Happy to see all the newcomers on the thread.

Down a pound this morning.
Eating right.
Running later.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #25  
Workin' It

I've been above my maintenance range for so long I can't remember. My pants still fit, so I'm not sure how I feel about the weight. I do know I need to hold steady and not gain, though.

Phew.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #26  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Silverbirch, thanks for the kind welcome! I like being related.

I like routine, too. I find it steadying and a comfort.

Warm, nicely fitting trousers are a great boon in the winter. I can imagine they would be an absolute necessity in Wales. I wore thick tights under mine, when I lived in Germany.

I am staying with my low carb, mod protein, counting the grams of all macronutrients and calories plan. I like my well rounded exercise and movement plan. Now that I weigh less, the exercise isn't as tiring. I have divided the watering of plants into morning and evening sessions, so that carrying buckets of water isn't as hard.

Am giving myself small indulgences so that I don't slide into the "I feel deprived" mode and eat something I'd regret. Today's indulgence was a cup of instant decaf with a twist of lemon peel. (It's indulgent because I'm not sold on instant decaf actually being something which would improve my health. Chemicals and all.)

I will find a nice, old, B&W film to watch this evening, on archive.org or youtube, and jump on my rebounder, and do my evening stretches.

Am off to have my scrumptious supper.

Sending you all best wishes.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #27  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I'm in for 10 by Christmas. I don't know if I can possibly maintain it, but I terribly want to see what it looks like on me. I've been noodling along all through 2010, practicing maintenance and found a happy lazy place at 149 for something like 9 months now.

I need to get some annoying obstacles out of the way this weekend, so that I can devote time to needed exercise. Exercise is going to be my "big rock" that will go in the jar first.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #28  
No description available.

Becky, I love that analogy! In fact, I shared it with DD who is a freshman at college. Told her to put her big balls in her jar first. LOL! That doesn't sound right does it?

Second verse, same as the first for me. Down 1 lb. Eat right. Run later. Going to check out a gym. I miss lifting heavy stuff and I'm not taking advantage of stuff I have at home or body weight strength training.

Last edited by midwife; 09-10-2010 at 10:38 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #29  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Hello, everybody, the familiar faces & the new ones whom I haven't met before.

I'm not pleased with myself this Friday at my weigh-in. I'm up 3.7 pounds from Sunday morning, after my trip.

I knew I would be unhappy standing on my scale this morning, because last night, when I sat in bed prior to writing in my journal & retiring for the evening, I pressed on my ankle & made a substantial dent. That's water retention. The evil cousin of fat.

I'm partly blaming my having eaten a heaping cup of the cafeteria's oversalted beef & barley soup at lunch yesterday afternoon. I had a wonderful salad & did not need the soup. (But barley is one of those things that is fun in your mouth. I adore that texture. And chewing it.) I knew when I was in line to pay for my lunch that the soup was excessive. I should remember there's no shame in dumping it or abandoning it if I change my mind. I think "waste of food," but I really do know better than to use myself as a garbage disposal (a variant on "eating to clean" or to clear a dish, which I have identified as an issue of mine & have tried to avoid).

Also, some of it is sore muscles. I have been somewhat stiff all week once I stand up from working at the computer & feeling whatever I worked the day before in spin class, on weights or in Pilates.

Lesson learned: I really cannot afford smugness after returning from vacation with a drop in weight.

As for holiday goals: I wanted to hit 141 again, and think I could -- but I'm curious about what I'd look like at 135 & whether I could maintain at that. Let's keep it at 141. Anything under that will be a bonus.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/125

Height: 5' 3"

Thanks for the warm welcome! My first weigh-in was this morning and I’m down 1 pound. Nine more to go. Recorded all calories consumed (in FitDay) and right on plan. I’m on my way!

Hi Pat! Nice to “meet” you. I love Maine and hope to live there again once I retire. Beautiful part of the world. I’ll bet Alaska is also very beautiful. Would love to visit there some day.

I agree with what has been said about routine. I can’t do this without it.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Mary

Last edited by Mary from Maine; 09-10-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Mary from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote