Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Default What Got You To Maintenance?

I'm just curious. The more I browse around this website, the more I realize there are SO many ways to lose weight. I'd like to know how you got to your maintenance or close to it goal.

~What plan did you follow?

~What roadblocks did you have?

~What helps you maintain most?

~Would you have done anything different to get here?

~What did you/have you learned since?

~Any words of wisdom you'd like to share?

For me:

I calorie counted and did MAJOR hours of cardio on a daily/weekly basis. Water was/is my best friend.

The roadblocks I had didn't happen till after I got to my goal. I still feel like i'm fighting with my eyes to see myself as others do. Being seen as the fattest girl in the room can really do a number on you!

My new habits help me maintain. IT IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE, not a diet!

The only thing I would have done different to get here, would be to calorie count sooner.

I've learned that there really is a thin person inside of everyone! And even though our minds play tricks on us, and some of us maintainers feel "off" or "unsatisfied", we or at least I realize that my scale and pant size can't both be lying to me! I've also learned a hard truth, society is VERY mean to overweight people. I used to be "invisible" and now I'm not, and deep down, i just feel like that's not fair. I don't think I'll ever get used to being "noticed" or treated nicer b/c of my appearance now. This realization hurts the most in my opinion.

Words of Wisdom: It honestly doesn't happen until YOU, your MIND, your BODY, your HEART, and SOUL are all on the same page. All of those things MUST all be ready!

Thanks for reading, and sharing (for those that do) Don't be shy!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I counted calories and moved more

While losing weight, none. Maintaining weight is a whole 'nother story.

Remembering how absolutely humiliating and horrifying it was to face people "last time" I lost weight and then began rapidly regaining it.

NO. I only wish I would have pulled my head out of my *** sooner.

The only person who doesn't make mistakes is the person who does nothing.

It ain't over til the fat lady sings.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #3  
WorkingOut!

S/C/G: 217/180/145

Height: 5'5"

Fantastic thread!

~What plan did you follow? I watched what I ate, made sure I got LOTS of fruits and veggies, and exercised.

~What roadblocks did you have? Feeling like I could not do it. Remembering successes helps!

~What helps you maintain most? I am not yet where I want to be. But I watch what I eat, continue to exercise and correct myself if I start to gain a few lbs.

~Would you have done anything different to get here? Nope - pushed harder, perhaps!

~What did you/have you learned since? If I can do this, I can do anything!

It's not about being skinny and attractive. It is about being healthy and loving yourself.
diary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #4  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

Great thread, guamvixen. I don't know if I've replied to you before--you look great!

I hope I'm close enough to goal to reply.

Calorie counting (started at 1500, recently reduced to 1400), low-carb orientation but not radically so. I also walk 30 minutes 6 times a week.

Amazingly few so far, this time. I know from previous experience that I cannot handle a low-fat diet, and I worked on cutting out habitual eating and avoiding emotional eating. (My experience may change when I actually get to maintenance.)

I plan to maintain at about 1750 calories, so I think I can answer this question even though I'm not there yet. It occurred to me the other day how comforting calorie counting is. I don't know if I'll *ever* be able to eat intuitively, so it's wonderful to have some confidence that I can stay in control just by continuing to do what I'm doing. I have enough flexibility built in that I don't feel deprived; if I want to splurge, I "pay it back".

Of course I could get a thyroid condition or have to take a medication in the future that might make me gain weight--I'll deal with that if it happens.

I don't think I could have done it this time if not for what I learned from all of the false starts before. I'm incredibly blessed that it's gone so well this time for a 48-year old with PCOS and a history of yo-yo dieting.

Don't have a good answer for that.

Perseverance is the key. Find what works for you, and stick to it.

Quote:
I've also learned a hard truth, society is VERY mean to overweight people. I used to be "invisible" and now I'm not, and deep down, i just feel like that's not fair. I don't think I'll ever get used to being "noticed" or treated nicer b/c of my appearance now. This realization hurts the most in my opinion.
For better or worse, as a 48-year old who has never been particularly pretty, I don't particularly feel more visible than I was at 260 pounds, which might make things easier in some ways. I wonder if that will change if/when I decide to wear more stylish clothes.

Quote:
Words of Wisdom: It honestly doesn't happen until YOU, your MIND, your BODY, your HEART, and SOUL are all on the same page. All of those things MUST all be ready!
Amen, sister! Starting on a journey like this when you're not completely committed is a recipe for disappointment and failure, at least for me. Some time around the age of 40, I decided to stop stressing about food. I gained a few more pounds after that, but I think it might have been a necessary step along the journey. At the beginning of 2009, against all logic and previous experience, I decided that I Was Ready. And I was!
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Thank you for the great responses ladies!! I definitely see a trend with calorie counting! I'm so proud of all of us! Congrats to each of you, and I'm confident that we are in this for the long haul! Let's all promise to NEVER go back! P.S. I can't wait for my one year maintenance anniversary on Dec. 19th. That was the day I lost my last pound!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Calorie counting with a cheat meal, plus exercising.

I hit a couple plateaus. The longest one I kicked by drinking more water and eating slightly higher calories with more fat. I think I went too low-fat and my body rebelled by hanging on to all its fat.

3FC. Hands down, no question. And Cooking Light magazine.

Nothing in particular.

Metabolism changes over time. Just because I could lose weight on 1800 cals/day when I was starting out doesn't mean I can lose weight on 1800 cals/day now.

Not off the top of my head, although I'm sure I've written many words of wisdom on this forum over the years!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #7  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

I love this thread!! I'm only 4 months into maintenance, but here goes:

I lost weight with a program called Slimgenics (formerly, Slim4Life). Basically, it is a very reduced calorie, high protein, low carb, low fat, low sodium, diet that focuses on foods that are low in the glycemic index. It was fast - I lost 58 pounds in 6 months, which was incredible. I did not ever believe that I would actually weigh in the 140s again...but I am.

My roadblocks were mental - I would get so discouraged & down on myself when the scale didn't move the way I wanted it to. BUT, I found that the times when the numbers weren't decreasing, the inches were. So taking measurements really helped.

First, I weigh myself EVERY STINKIN' DAY. Like it or not. Even when I know I've had too much sodium or gone out to eat or whatever & my weight will be up. I face the truth. It is just a number - feedback - and I adjust accordingly. I have an upper 'bound' and a plan of action if I ever hit it.

Secondly, I log every morsel of food that ever enters my mouth & track both calories & nutritional content (%fat, %protein, & %carbs). I have both caloric goals (~1900 calories/day) and nutritional goals (30%fat, 30% protein, 40% carbs) that I adhere to 95% of the time.

Initially I was eating waaaayyyyy too few calories. There were days when I would consume 750-850 in an entire day. I was technically following "the plan", but my head knew this wasn't healthy. Furthermore, because I was allowing my body to basically go into starvation mode, my weight loss slowed up. Once I readjusted to a more reasonable caloric level (which was very hard, mentally), the pounds started coming off again.

For me, it isn't just about calories in-calories out. My body functions best on a higher protein/higher fat diet than many people. I am within reasonable limits on both fronts, but just find that I feel best when I am eating more protein/fat vs. carbohydrate. The carbs I do eat come from whole grains, dairy, and veggies for the most part. I limit my fruit to 1-2 servings a day (which I LOVE), and generally will swap it for a dairy to keep sugars lower.

Secondly, exercise is absolutely critical to my ability to stay healthy. Mix it up. Do something fun. Push yourself to try something new. The positive impact on your mental outlook is amazing (and of course your body will look smokin', too!).

Listen to your body & honor it. If you feel like you are hungry, EAT. If you are tired, get some sleep. If you are feeling stress & pressure, take a walk or get some exercise. Really tune into yourself and be respectful of your needs. You are worth the effort, and by putting your entire health towards the top of your prioity list, it puts you in a better position to care for those around you.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #8  
Workin' It

S/C/G: 190/164/135

Height: 5'5.5"

[QUOTE=guamvixen;3507974]~What plan did you follow? Calorie counting and exercise

~What roadblocks did you have? During loss, not very many actually. Finding the will to get up and exercise, avoiding the snacks, but none of them were hard enough that I would call them roadblocks this time around.

~What helps you maintain most? Structure structure structure. I still weigh and log my food, I still plan my food in advance, I still chart my weight daily. I still plan my exercise for the week in advance instead of letting it flow, otherwise I don't get to it.

~Would you have done anything different to get here? To get here, no. To stay here, I wouldn't have eaten as much junk food over the last few months.

~What did you/have you learned since? My entire lifestyle is different. I have learned how to make healthy, appetizing foods. I have learned how to take care of myself and treat myself with love and respect. I have learned that I will never go back to some of my old habits, I deserve better than that. I have learned to love exercise, broccoli and greek yogurt. I have learned that I will never be able to be a fast food every day person again, and better, that I don't want to be.

~Any words of wisdom you'd like to share? Love who you are, and respect yourself for the life that you are leading. Care for yourself as you care for others. Never treat yourself like a failure and you won't be one.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I posted this in goal forum but I thought it answered your questions as well.

My 1 year anniversary
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

My own concoction - but basically - Calorie counting - the only thing that could work for me. It's built in accountability and forced portion control. But where those calories come from (& don't come from) has been essential to my success. I eat mostly whole foods - tons of wonderfully prepared veggies, low fat proteins and some fruit. These foods keep me satiated and keep my cravings for the other stuff away.

Zero. Everything went quite smoothly. I never plateaued. Never felt deprived or hungry.

My desire and commitment to remain thin, fit, trim, healthy, active, productive, energetic, and thrilled with life.

Hmmmm? I can't think of anything.

Oh gosh I have learned SO much. I've learned about about nutrition. I've learned what foods work for me and which ones don't. I've learned to cook masterfully. I've learned about self discipline, self respect. I've learned that it's not okay to overfeed oneself, though I think I always knew that. I've learned that being a healthy weight really, really matters and doing what it takes to stay there should be (& is) a top priority. I've learned that I'm capable and strong and that I must be pretty smart after all. And so much more.

Like Jessica, I'm sure I've had a wise word or two that I've shared here at 3FC over the years, though I can't seem to come up with anything right now..... I do kind of love the words in my signature (particularly the second one), but they are not *my* words.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-05-2010 at 07:54 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #11  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Well here goes a pretty atypical story from the rest in this thread...

It has taken a good decade to truly get me to maint. And I literally tried EVERY plan to get there. In the end, the only "plan" that worked was a fulltime, for life commitment to my health.

Food addiction I did not know for years how to conquer or cope with. Chronic back pain felt in every moment of every day. Repeated bouts with ulcers. A lack of understanding for my own food issues, how they developed and how to work thru them. I could go on....but a zillion roadblocks tried to stop me.

Commitment to always adapting, trying harder, starting new, getting back up, etc.
Knowing what really works best and being willing to put myself first. I found my trainer, for me, is what helps me stay on track. If I just do that ONE thing, I can maintain everything else much more easily.

I live without regrets. If I hadnt made the exact mistakes I did, who knows what life I would be living today. I like this one

To keep learning. And to find support.

Be hopeful, even when you cant be optimistic.
Learn to embody the words personal responsibility. Your life, all of your life, is your responsibility. Blame serves no one, personal responsibility enables to acknowledge all choices belong to you and then act!
Choose life. You dont have to live the 2nd half of your life atoning for the mistakes of the first half. Or as I heard so many times in the South growing up..."you've already been paid for".
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #12  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

~What plan did you follow? I started out with calorie counting and basic exercise. I stalled in the high 160's/low 170's until I incorporated weight lifting. That got me down to 157-159, now I'm carb counting as well and I only have 12 lbs left. I've cut out sugar for the most part.

~What roadblocks did you have? I'm a binge eater, a bored eater, a depressed eater, a happy eater, etc. I'm constantly looking for new ways to get my mind off food and have been doing well so far. I have slip ups, nothing major as I always get back to it. I'm struggling right now with how farther I should go with my weight loss. I still see a chubby girl, but my bones are starting to poke out everywhere.

~What helps you maintain most? 3fc has been great for me, there are many daily accountability threads I am apart of.

~Would you have done anything different to get here? I wish I hadn't stopped between Christmas and April earlier this year. I only gained 6 lbs back, but I was also trying to quit smoking and revamp my eating based on an intolerance to wheat products I discovered.

~What did you/have you learned since? It's not okay to cheat all the time, because then you end up just eating like you always did. I also find when I cheat it derails me completely for a few days and makes it harder to forget food again. I really savour those long periods where I don't cheat and I don't think about cheating.

~Any words of wisdom you'd like to share? Stick with it, never give up. Anyone can do this if they put the effort into it. You also need to see it as a lifestyle change and not a 'diet'. There's a reason we all got fat in the first place, losing the weight and going back to old habits will just get us back there.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #13  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by guamvixen View Post
I calorie counted and did MAJOR hours of cardio on a daily/weekly basis. Water was/is my best friend.
Just curious about the exercise? Do you still do major hours of cardio every day? And is that like 3 or 4 hours?
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Calorie counting and planning ahead, I plan all meals ahead of time and write everything down, I weigh everyday and mark the weight on my calendar so I can see any changes. A two pound fluctuation is not to worry about but if it continues to keep going up I know I have gotten lazy or complacent or careless or all of the above . Time to get back on plan, much easier to lose a few pounds than 90 .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

The home-made, Rube Goldberg-like SAEF plan. I don't count calories, but I do watch my portions & choose very carefully. I'm lower fat than some here, and I'm lower carb, but not as low carb as many. Some foods, I'll probably never eat again, at all, even if they fell within a "safe" calorie allotment.

I am committed to making a life that I can keep going forever. Unlike others here, I couldn't keep food journals & count forever. (Numbers tend to bring out my obsessive qualities & not in a good way.) I can't cheat. For me, a cheat is actually a binge, only called by a nicer name.

And I do an hour of cardio every day. I rarely skip a day. I also do weight training & Pilates.

Defining the line between enough structure and too much structure. For me, at some point, discipline & planning can turn into an obsession & compulsion. I need to be very aware of that line & stay on its healthy side.

Also, my own negativity. I connected losing weight with deprivation & extremely low calories & food intake. My thinking was stuck in the lowfat days. I had to read a lot to convince myself this was doable on a higher calorie allotment & with protein & fats.

A virtuous circle between diet & exercise. If I don't get both right, the other one suffers.

Also my efforts at attaining peace of mind & better psychological balance. Eating resolves nothing. I relearn that every freaking day of my life, it seems.

I would have started some strength training sooner, rather than doing All Cardio, All the Time.

I wish I could have started the entire "get healthy" effort sooner, but I think that was impossible. I had to be frightened & receptive & determined to help myself first.

It's about more than weight. The weight is a metaphor. This thing goes really deep, into my feelings about myself & my place in this world & about being a woman.

Change what you can, but accept with grace the things you cannot change.
If you can't love yourself, then at least befriend yourself. (I said "befriend," not "friend" like on Facebook.)

Last edited by saef; 10-12-2010 at 04:38 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote