Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #31  
Meg

Dagmar, I'm sure it was the right decision but I know this will be a sad day for you.

I was in Petco yesterday and they have the cages of cats set right up front so you can't miss them. And all the kittens and cats were sticking their little paws out the cages, saying mew mew, and it broke my heart. I kept having to remind myself that we still have four cats at home and that's quite enough.

We're waiting for the next snowstorm but it's only supposed to be about 6" so we're lucky this time!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #32  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar -
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #33  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

Maybe I'm finally caught up on sleep b/c I've started waking up before my alarm goes off, after 8 hours of sleep. Nice. Food and exercise has been POP this week. I've got a free night tonight, exciting! Oh, wait, I've got lots of music to study... lines to learn.... oh well it's still sort of free.

Rabbit, that sounds like a very long conference. I hope you're able to get out enjoy the change of scenery.

Sheila, beautiful dog! There were 2 huskies at the shelter here for a few months. Of course everyone just thought, what kind of person would try to keep huskies in Florida weather? I believe they were adopted by someone who lived a bit further north.

Shannon, how is DH's eye?

Allison, sorry the solar panel folks haven't come to inspect yet. See, I don't mind watching cold weather on TV. The snow looks so happy and fluffy when I'm not in it.

Speaking of snow, I hear the northeast is once again getting walloped today. Stay warm and safe, everyone!

Dagmar, that is so, so hard - both handling with an animal unable to help itself and to let it go, even if it's the right thing to do.

Have a good Thursday everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #34  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Dagmar, I am so sorry about the dog.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar-- so sorry but glad the owners took him in. As a pet owner, it is always hard to know when it is "time", but that dog was obviously saying it was his time.

I am frustrated with my weight but trying not to let it get to me. I really think I am a little constipated which is very unusual for me as I usually eat a ton of fiber. Not sure if I've eaten less fiber or what, but I'm hoping the extra weight will "go away" soon. Just feel very bloated and yucky.

Just a crazy, hectic week here..... wish there was time for sleep. I couldn't get out of bed this morning and I was almost late to work!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #36  
Workin' It

Dagmar - I'm so sorry about the dog, though it sounds like it was the right decision. I'm glad you were able to be there for him near the end.

My parents had to put their Rottweiller down on Monday - the vet came to their house at lunch and did it so it was peaceful. She has been battling with cancer for a while, and there was no fighting it left. My parents are devastated, but know it was the best thing for her.

DH's eye is still swollen and red, sore and a little blurry. We hope that when the swelling goes down the chalazion is actually gone... His was on the outside of the eyelid, which is apparently somewhat rare. They are normally on the inside of the eye I guess. It was pretty fast - only took about an hour and a half from beginning to end, and that included an eye exam.

Sheila - that is a beautiful dog. It would be hard for me to not take every one of them home with me!

Pat - I've seen the footage of the Iditarod, I can't say I would want to be around it for long either - always looks messy to me, too.

Meg - I bet you are getting seriously tired of the weather. You guys have been getting hammered! And I always want to take home the kitties at Petco, too. They all seem to be waving at me.

Allison - cameo appearance in your dream? . Hope we were doing something fun. Annoying about the inspection on the solar panels. How long can they make you wait for the inspection? You get fined for using the solar without an inspection? Weird.

Rabbit - hope you are enjoying your trip! 8am-9pm program - wow. I would be exhausted.

Megan - I can't even imagine being caught up on sleep! Glad you are having a good week!

Michele - Hope you feel better soon. Last time I felt like that I piled in a lot of veggies in a couple of days and it finally took care of it, but not until after I felt bloated and uncomfortable for almost a week.

I fear I am once again fighting off a head cold. I really want to go to the park for a run this afternoon, but we are under a severe wind advisory today, and after watching cars get blown around on the road last night I'm a little leery of running outside. Hope it has calmed down by evening. Sun is out, so it looks beautiful!

Good day everyone!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 02-25-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Dagmar~that is sad, but they did the right thing. Perhaps a tad bit too late, but it is a horrible decision to have to make.

Shannon~yeah, it was a cameo. It was weird, we were sitting in a circle in a gym having some sort of reunion/party. We were dressed for working out. It was definitely a 3FC sort of thing! But there was this 3rd person who was kind of being ignored, but we invited her to join the 3 of us and then she got all weird.

I don't know if we could get fined for using the solar panels, but they will certainly be upset that we're not paying them for any electricity! It goes against common sense if you ask me. But bottom line is they are a business and they want money.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:51 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Unhappy Winter is baaack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
The big dog was put to sleep last night. It was an end to what could have been a lot of suffering for him. I'm glad his owner loved him enough to release him now.

Dagmar
And I ate a package of cookies in his honour yesterday. Will I never learn?

I can't seem to stay OP for more than 3 days. I'll use any excuse to binge eat on the 4th. I know it's because of emotional issues but I can't face finding another therapist right now. I'm barely hanging on getting through this winter.

And now we are having the snowstorms I was praying we would miss this winter. I couldn't sleep last night because I was so anxious about going out there today and having to drive and walk in the blizzard.

I can't take any time off because of our economic situation. DH keeps promising he'll start looking for a full time job but I'm not holding my breath.

But it is Friday and I'm hoping the snow stops by the end of the weekend. I guess the worst thing about all this is I have no choices left. Dogwalking is what I do and I have to do it in Toronto. I can't move and start up somewhere else where the weather is better. I hate feeling trapped!

Have a good Friday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #39  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

I'm a bit frustrated right now b/c I've been eating well, at a calorie level that has been "losing" for me in the past, exercising, and the scale is not reflecting my work, in fact it's going up. The only thing I can think of is a gain in muscle (but I didn't gain 2-3 lbs of muscle!). I'd made plans w/ some girlfriends to go out of town and go outlet shopping and out to "real clubs" Saturday and I don't want to go just b/c I don't want to go off plan, and don't feel like I should buy new clothes at this weight. I hate that feeling! I'm trying to just stay positive and have fun instead of being negative. And have a few drinks but otherwise eat OP.

Dagmar, I can't offer much advice but I can give you a big . Sorry that you are so stressed out. If your DH isn't much help, it does sound like maybe you could benefit from professional help. I know the last therapist didn't work out but maybe you could try another few. I think therapists are like shoes. You might need to try a couple before you find the right fit.

Allison, I hope this other "weird" person in the dream wasn't one of us! lol

Shannon, I hope it's less windy today and you can get outside for a run.

Michele, I hope your, um, difficulties resolve themself soon!

What are everybody's weekend plans?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Dagmar, how sad for you. I'm glad they made the right decision, but it's so tough--for both you and them. Eating is a visceral reaction to a loss for so many of us.

Megan, water weight? Our bodies are so weird. *Sigh*

Allison, inversions are horrible. We get them here a lot and where I lived in Oregon. I used to escape to the coast in Oregon, but here there's no place to go but up in the mountains and I'm not a snow person. The solar panel issue must be frustrating--hope they come sooner than 2 weeks.

Shannon, hope you didn't get a full blown cold!

Michele, have you tried drinking more water?

Well, I just need to "let go" of that dog. I'll drive myself crazy thinking about her. All I can do is hope she goes to a good home and that's that.

My new trainer is really working me hard. I love the way she works a lot of things at once. When we work legs, she always has a core component plus a bit of arms, too. Hopefully I can get back into the shape I was in when I moved here. The scale is inching down, which is okay with me--below my red line by a couple of pounds. Yeah!

Have a great weekend everyone! Any exciting plans? We're going to see someone we know dance and then to a fundraiser on Sunday with a silent auction.

Last edited by Sheila53; 02-26-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #41  

I am *ahem* somewhat better today after eating a ton of fiber yesterday. I will work on drinking more today and see if that helps too. My rings are tight and my stomach is distended so water may be an issue too. The scale is staying put so I'm going to have to work hard this weekend to stay OP with all we have going on.

My weekend is busy! After work today, I'm going to race to the gym to get a workout in. Then, tonight we have a Beetle's themed Purim celebration at the temple. Not sure what I'll wear. We are going out to eat first but I have a totally OP meal that I always get when we go to this restaurant.

Tomorrow morning I am either going to spin or to my WW meeting. Haven't decided yet. Then, there is a free ladies health fair at the hospital and I'm going to check it out. They do cholesterol and diabetes screenings, osteoporosis screenings (my mom had), body fat analysis, etc. I have school work to work on for my class I'm taking that I'm going to squeeze in somewhere along with errands, cleaning house and cooking!

Sunday I work in the morning and then I have a staff meeting in the afternoon. The staff meeting is probably going to be 1.5 hour drive (never been there so not sure) so I might just drive from one to the other and find a Panera or Starbucks to hang out at if I'm super early. So, my whole Sunday will be spent away from home.

With the stress of my job uncertainty, I am debating taking extra meetings on Saturdays for Weight Watchers. I already work M-F at my school job, and Tuesday nights and Sunday mornings for WW. I just don't think I want to work 7 days a week but if I lose my job, the opportunity will be gone and we would really need the money. We could use the money now but I'm afraid my family life would suffer. The only time dh and I get a chance to talk is on the weekends now! What would you do?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #42  

Michele, just reading your post made me tired. You are a whirlwind of energy.

One final note on the dog's passing. My client stopped at my house today and gave me a really lovely thank you card and gift certificates for a restaurant that DH and I would never be able to afford.

We will go there for my birthday dinner next Saturday and it will be totally off plan. I will budget for that next week.

Have a great start to the weekend night all!

Dagmar
Old 02-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #43  
Workin' It

Hi everyone - I did make my run last night. 6.05 miles in the freezing cold wind. By the end of it I felt like my butt was one big block of ice. That goodness for seat warmers.

Dagmar - that is a tough spot to be in. Can't leave because your career is there, have a hard time with the climate there. And sounds like you get little support from DH. It is no wonder you find yourself with a lot of highs and lows. Megan is right, sometimes it takes several tries to find a therapist that clicks.

Megan - you sound exactly like me a few weeks ago. I was bloated an distended feeling, too. It finally broke with the addition of extra fiber. I also think I gained some muscle - I found some studies that said a women could gain 3 pounds of muscle over a year of hard training. I'll see if I can pull them up again for you. Also, I think muscle holds more water than fat, or at least more noticeably. More water actually does help me, but it sure puffs me up in the short term.

Sheila - glad you like your new trainer! Seeing the scale move down is a good endorsement! I've never been to a silent auction, but they always sound neat.

Allison - that inversion sounds terrible. Hope you don't get fined for the panels.

Michele - be careful that you don't take on so much now that you wear yourself out. I know you are worried about the job situation, would you be able to add the extra WW meetings layer if something happened?

No exercise tonight. My head is pretty congested, DSS was bad at school and DH worked late, I had to run all over hither and yon getting tax forms finished,
I'm just tired. So maybe some yoga, maybe not.

Good weekend all.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #44  

Good day so far! I went to my spin class--- fantastic way to start the day!!

Then I went to the Women's Health Fair. It was mobbed and they were overwhelmed with the turnout so I couldn't do much of what I wanted. I really wanted to get an osteoporosis screening but they weren't taking any more bookings and then the machine broke down. I was going to get my cholesterol and glucose checked but the lines were ridiculous so I passed. I get my cholesterol checked when I donate blood and I know it is fine (used to be high when I was heavy though). My glucose has always been fine as well and I have a physical fairly soon so I'm sure my doc will check it. I'll have to ask her about getting the osteoporosis screening.

All I ended up doing was getting my BP checked which was fine... and I got my body fat done. I hadn't had it checked since I was heavy so I was interested to see what it would be. I'm sure it wasn't the most accurate testing-- they hooked my arm up to a computer that spit out the results. They said my body fat was 12.3%! How cool is that?! I feel like an athlete! The woman doing the testing said that is "excellent" and anything over 9% is fine (you don't want to go under 9% or you can have adverse health issues)... well, not anything over 9%--- you want it to be under 25% I think.

While I was waiting I talked to the nicest lady in line with me. I would have guessed she was a fit 65 year old at the oldest. She told me she is almost 81! I want to be like her when I'm her age!! She said she wakes up every morning at 4:30 to get to the gym at 5:00. She goes to a super nice gym with all the amenities. She gets there at 5:00, gets her coffee and her newspaper and exercises, takes a class, etc. Then she uses the whirlpool, sauna, etc, takes a shower and goes home to read her newspaper. She said she's done this every day for the last 20 years! She was telling me about all these great restaurants that I haven't tried yet and how she eats anything she wants to but in small portions. She also told me she is 4'9", 110 pounds, and super healthy without any medial problems. She said she is determined never to have to live in a nursing home. What a cute little fiery lady!

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #45  

Thumbs up Active seniors - yeah!

I want to be that fiery senior too! Although it looks like I'll never be able to afford what she does I can certainly continue working out and eating right.

Funny, thinking about how different the seniors in my and DH's family are. This parallels DH and myself too (sadly).

My dad is going to be 87 in June and he's still planning to go to Estonia (the old country) for 3 months this summer. He lives alone (my mom was killed in 1992) in his house, cooks his own food, and exercises every day with 2 walks, small hand weights, and a recumbent bike that DH gave him (it never got any use at our place). He reads a bunch of stuff (he's a bit mental about his politics - conspiracy stuff) every day to keep his brain active, and socializes with a bunch of other seniors who share his politics.

DH's dad is 70. He is morbidly obese, has had two knee and one hip replacement, breathes with an oxygen mask at night, and watches TV as his sole entertainment. He can barely walk with a cane any more.

He lives with a bunch of DH's family and they eat mostly take out and microwaved convenience foods. Exercise is laughed at. DH's dad used to have a social network that revolved around ourdoor activities like fishing and hunting but he can't do those any more due to his weight/physical deterioration. In DH's words his dad is "sitting around waiting to die".

Funny how the people right in front of us can sometimes open our eyes about our own lifestyles. I'm hoping DH wakes up and sees he's headed down his dad's road unless he makes some changes soon.

I'm determined to live longer than whatever number my dad reaches, but I also want to live well. That means being fit and active.

Dagmar (too much this morning)