Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Dagmar, what's a CMA?
Certified Management Accountant
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:12 AM   #32  
Meg

TGIF!!! I think Friday deserves a carrot and a banana!

It's been a crazy week fighting snow and ice here. The ice dams in our gutters are about 9" above the roof line now and they're saying this is the worst it's been in decades. By using a snow rake on the roof and knocking down the biggest icicles I've ever seen, we've gotten down to minor leaks in the kitchen and basement. There are ice rivers frozen to the outside walls of the house, so I think we're extremely lucky that we don't have more leakage than we do.

The main power line to our house is frozen inside a gigantic icicle that starts above the first floor and now touches the snow on the ground, so it's a stalagmite? or stalactite? (I think that's the first time I've ever had occasion to type either of those words!) I have to take a photo today when I'm out shoveling. Anyway, we aren't touching the icicle because if it comes down, so does the power line to the house.

But I've been making it to the gym and eating's been OK. My major problem is portion control -- I've been eating too much healthy food. I could stick with exactly the same healthy menu of egg whites, oatmeal, salmon, veggies etc but eat double the portions that I do now. Which results in weight gain, of course, since too many calories are too many calories. On the one hand, I've come a long, long way from the kind of food I used to eat but on the other, tight pants are still no fun.

So I'm planning my days in Fitday, printing it out and slapping it on the frig, and really sticking to portion sizes. The rumor is that spring IS coming and I want to be able to fit into all my clothes. Maybe winter causes this hibernation response to eat and eat?? No, wait, bears sleep in the winter, not eat. Hmm, can't blame it on hibernation.

We don't have very exciting plans for the weekend. On Saturday, we'll make our monthly visit to my MIL. So I need to run errands and grocery shop for her today. Sunday will probably be more organizing projects. Hope your weekend is more fun!!

And no more snow! (though we are getting another storm on Monday, they say)
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #33  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I haven't been around much b/c I've been freezing my rear off, or really, my fingers and toes off, doing field work on the boat and continually plunging my hands into the icy water. What is 8C in Fahrenheit? That's how cold the water is. I've regained feeling in all fingers and toes and am glad that project is done with for the month, it was pretty hard on all of us. Anyway I've been venting a bit over in the 5-10 thread about frustration over my weight, you can read it there if you care to. I've lost 9 lbs since August, I'm just frustrated that I've still got so far to go.

Meg, I hear you on the cold. See above. I know you guys have it much worse than we do. I think the stalactite is formed from above, the stalactite is the one made from the ground up (by drips coming off the stalactite above). I hope your power lines are ok! Good for you for getting to the gym in the cold and ice! Keep it up!

Michele, glad you're feeling better. How was spin class? Sorry about the ongoing uncertainty about your job. I hope you get some useful info/support at the union mtg. Keep us posted!

Shannon, sorry about the unusual pains and rough week at work. I hope you get to relax a bit this weekend.

Allison, funny about your office supplies all the sudden staying put after you fire employees!

Dagmar, sorry about the continued frustrations.

This weekend I'm looking forward to trying to find a few minutes to relax. Friends are having beer club tonight (I've planned for one really good beer, and figured out how much steak and salad I can eat), Sat AM I've got training early, then will spend the rest of the day doing chores, Sunday some friends are having a kayak party. At least the kayaking is activity, but I think I'll bring some salad w/ protein just to make sure I get some veggies in there and don't eat junky party food. It's supposed to be about 10 degrees warmed this weekend, which will be nice. What's everyone else up to? Have a great weekend everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #34  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Stalactites hold tight to the roof.
Stalagmites might one day reach the roof.

So I'd say you've got a stalactite, Meg. Impressive! But bad luck with all the leaks. No fun.

Last edited by silverbirch; 02-19-2010 at 12:25 PM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #35  
Meg

Thanks for the clarification on my icicle. Here's a picture of it -- you can see the power lines running right through the middle of the top. We've been knocking down the other icicles but I'm not touching that baby!

Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #36  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Wow, that's quite the icicle!

FWIW, "stalaCtite" has a "C" for "Ceiling" and "stalaGmite" has a "G" for "Ground!"
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Technically, Meg, when a stalactite and a stalagmite meet, it is called a pillar. However, I think your stalactite just kept growing until it reached the snow.

And I am so with you on needing to cut portion sizes so I can fit into my spring and summer wardrobe! It doesn't help that I did some power cooking on Monday and came up with four casseroles for the rest of the week. Although one is from Cooking Light, I still ate more of it than I should have.

The weather here is weird. We're socked in with fog. It casts an eerie glow on everything. Everything feels weird. I can't explain it any better!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Happy Friday everyone!
I'm just cold looking at that Meg! I hope it lets up for you and everyone soon!

Megan-- spin class was..... long..... the regular instructor wasn't there so we had a sub. Other people complained that they didn't like her (boring) so I'm not sure how much of it was her and how much was me trying to get back into it.

I'm meeting with my principal this morning re: my job. I know she doesn't really know anything else but some of the other schools are mobilizing their parents/ staff to support the libraries so I'm going to see what I can do.

My weight is doing its stubborn up a few pounds no matter how good you are stupid stunt it likes to do. I don't have a cycle anymore (though I have my ovaries) but I always wonder if my body still does the PMS/bloat thing and I just don't know exactly when.

My high school just set the date for our 25th ruinion. It is out of state (Houston) but I might be there and be able to go because it will be shortly after my best friend has her baby. I doubt she'll want to go post-baby but she might win a prize for having the youngest child!
Just another reason for me to work at keeping the weight off-- no one except my closest friends have seen the "new" me.

Dh is coming back from Houston tonight. He has a work friend here and we are planning sushi tonight so I'm going to have to be extra good as I'm not sure I can fit the gym in too. Dd is having her bday party tomorrow night (15) so we have to order a cake, buy decorations and food, etc. today too. Shaping up to be a bus day!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #39  
Workin' It

Flyby to say Wow - that is one impressive icicle!

Funny the way we learn things - Jessica has the 'C for ceiling, G for ground' which makes a lot of sense, I learned the same way Birch said it. Stalactite holds tite to the top, Stalagmite might get to the top one day'. I've seen that with the number of days in the month - all of my friends used to sing the little song, I count the knuckles and dips on my hand.

Running to an appointment. Back soon.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #40  
slow and steady

LOL Shannon, I count the knuckles and dips on my hand for days in the month too!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Stalagtites hold tight to the roof.
Stalagmites might one day reach the roof.

So I'd say you've got a stalagtite, Meg. Impressive! But bad luck with all the leaks. No fun.
Good grief. Weren't any of your raised with the street way to remember?
When the 'mites go up, the 'tites come down.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #42  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, Jessica, I've corrected my spelling now. Stalactite.

I've got the same non-pneumonia as Bill BE. Hack, hack. Mine's non-TB as well, Bill. Hope yours is too. It'll be 4 weeks on Sunday. That is enough.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #43  
Workin' It

Back from my appointment. Had to file a response to a garnishment inquiry on an ex-employee with the magistrate court. I then stopped at Harry's Farmers Market and got a nice, healthy, veggie, salmon & shrimp stir fry for lunch. Which I promptly topped off with what could very well have been 800 calories of nuts. I'm obviously losing control.

DH just got the results of his physical back and his LDL is 160, HDL is 46. HDL is okay but not optimal, LDL is high. 15 points higher than his last physical 5 years ago. We eat a pretty healthy diet most of the time - white chicken & turkey, turkey sausage, lots of fruits, decent amount of veggies. We haven't prepared anything with red meat in the house in ages. Made pork chops twice and a pork tenderloin once in the last year. He eats almonds, takes fish oil, uses olive oil to cook, eats oatmeal & whole grain, does all of the things on the list except the consistent exercise. So doctor wants him to focus on that for the next six months and come back for a recheck of the cholesterol. We also owe hella money to the IRS, so we are both a little anxious about money right now. Hence, the mindless eating out of the bag of nuts. I measured out a perfect portion, ate it, then reopened the bag. Mistake. Should have made tea instead.

I have to let go of the 'my clothes still fit' excuse and realize I'm lying to myself and that my clothes were loose before. I've been taking measurements and there isn't a lot of difference, but there is some. Plus, I've been seriously bloated a lot lately, which hasn't helped. Have to get back on the wagon right now. Today. Well, the rest of today. The first part is already shot.

Sorry to fuss...

Birch - wow, 4 weeks... Any hope of relief in sight?

Jessica - My boyfriend in high school said that it is a Northern thing to count the knuckles & dips. He taught it to me and was from Illinois, I had never heard of it before him. Is that true?

Billy - there is a street way to remember 'tite & 'mite? I would never have guessed.

Michele - reunions... fun. Definitely a reason to keep the weight off! And, I need to keep mine in mind - 20th is this summer. And you may still be having PMS symptoms - I know people who have said that they do even with no regular monthly cycle.

Megan - definitely try to relax and keep warm this weekend! It is supposed to be warmer here, too. I'm excited.

Allison - I never think about fog in California. Pretty?

Meg - putting the FitDay plan on the fridge is a great idea. I need to do the same thing...

Good weekend everyone!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 02-19-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #44  
slow and steady

Shannon, I have no idea where the knuckles came from. I grew up in LA, but I don't remember who I learned it from. DH grew up here in Indy and he knows the rhyme but not the knuckles. I could never get a hang of the rhyme because a lot of the months could be interchanged in it!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #45  
No description available.

'C' for ceiling is how I learned it.

I'm very amused that the google ad for this page today off and on has been "Retire to AZ".....Meg, I think Google is trying to tell you something!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote