Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #196  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I went to the gym! Woohoo!

Jay, thanks, I don't really think it's fractured, I was mostly concerned because it seemed to be getting worse. But I will see my FIL this weekend and he is a doctor, so I'll get his opinion on whether or not I need an xray.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #197  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Hi all,
Last week I fought the good op fight and had a 10.5 mile run as well and found myself 126, 125, 126.5, 125.5, 126, 126 and such. kinda frustrating.

off to watch the office with hubbie, i'll be back with personals-
Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #198  
Chuggin' along...

I lost my pound of fried turkey overnight. Man oh man, my running workout was tough yesterday! I'm going to try to run again this evening. Running takes weight off of me better than any other form of cardio, which is why I persist even though I clearly don't like it all that much.

I've got a Christmas party Saturday night and a birthday party Sunday evening this weekend, and my choral group's Christmas concert is Sunday afternoon. I'm going to try and do the usual before the social/eating events - eat a big salad and a bit of lean protein beforehand, work out, etc. Might even ask BF to hold onto me if I grab his hand to keep me away from the food...

Jessica, way to get to the gym!!! I hope your wrist improves. Hang in there!

Kitty, at least stable weight is better than weight going up. I know it can be frustrating. Stick with it and the scale will budge, sooner or later. The Office was so funny last night! I love that show.

Have a great weekend everyone. Stay strong!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #199  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

paperclippy - speedy healing! It's so frustrating when the mind is prepared to exercise, and some part of the body fails. I've had a few twinges out of the historically-touchy shoulder since I started swimming, so I'll be scampering off the chiro next week for certain.

JayEll - you've reminded me to look back at where I came from at this time last year (174#) ... and be grateful for the solid day-in, day-out performance of keeping more than those 20 pounds off for three months now. I *could* be OK with doing that for the rest of my days, but I will always be wondering if more is possible and realistic if I don't keep trying to move the needle.

Megan - you are absolutely right, and I have returned to the "write it BEFORE I bite it" methodology. It works to see the calories stacking up, and if I don't like what I see, that's why pencils have erasers. I can still choose not to eat it, but if I do, I intend to have full knowledge of what I am doing. Robin's note of "I've never regretted staying on-plan" was an "Of course!" moment. I haven't, either! Resisting a temptation successfully is still almost a naughty thrill for me - not yet a habit.

Off to deliver some gifts for a foster kid I'm sponsoring. DS10 saw the pile and I'm sure is hoping that his will be at least as big, but to his credit, he hasn't said anything. It does feel good to GIVE this time of year.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #200  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

OK, I'm back
Meagan, you're right, The Office was great last night. Thanks for the kind words and much needed dust.
Jessica, I'm having wrist stuff too- bah! good luck and let us know what FIL says
Silver, I have pantsometers and I think I stretched them with all the trying on and finding them too tight last night the snap did not pop open but they are still too tight to wear.
ICU, you are a maintainer-- I did not address that a while back but it's been on my mind. You ARE a maintainer!!
Midwife, Jay, everyone joining me in the batte of the bulge--- let's do it!!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #201  
slow and steady

Hi everyone! Yesterday was POP, especially since I went to the gym, and the scale is rewarding me by being back at 140.4. Actually my last "official" weigh-in last Saturday was 139.4 but I didn't move my ticker since it seemed like a blip. If tomorrow's "official" weigh-in is there again I will move it.

Lunch meeting at work today. The office is having a "holiday lunch." The menu is ham, turkey, green beans, mashed potatoes, salad, and rolls. I'm planning to have a small portion of meat, and big portions of green beans and salad, and nothing else. It sounds like a pretty on-plan meal that way so hopefully my calories will be right on track.

Anyone else have holiday challenges this weekend? We have our family hannukah party Sunday, plus DH's birthday. DH has requested Thai food for dinner Saturday and a lemon tart for dessert at the hannukah party. I will plan the Thai food for my weekly "cheat" meal and try to eat mostly OP at the party. Lemon's not my favorite so I think I'll be okay with only a small portion of dessert. I'm just crossing my fingers that MIL or the other people coming won't bring jelly donuts (for those who don't know, jelly donuts are a traditional hannukah food).
Old 12-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #202  
Working My Way Back Down

I have two events this weekend Jessica. One is tonight, the library staff party at a local Italian restaurant. DH and I may be splitting an entree since they are large. Tomorrow is a friend's annual glug (his version of gluwine) party. It's a potluck of finger foods and of course the warm spiced wine, and other adult beverages. This will be a tough one being as everything will be homemade and delicious. Fortunately it's a small house and once you're seated, it's an effort to get up and back to the food area. The wife just had surgery for a broken wrist last week, and I'm frankly amazed she's still up for the party. I went down there last night to take her some stuff (she and DH are officers in our square dance club). She says she's bored, can't get out and cross country ski, which is how she broke her wrist. It's her main form of exercise, along with swimming, which she can't do either. It was a bad break, and she has a plate and pins and is looking at 8+ weeks with a cast.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #203  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Challenges start tonight. I'm off to a wine-tasting in a few minutes: 24 calories an ounce, 2 oz pours, 7 wines, plus lots of nibbles - has to be cheese, 110 per oz ... crackers (don't even go there, just DON'T!) and Lord knows what else. It's at Whole Foods. I just ate my orange, I've been chugging water, and determined to bring it in under calorie plan. Tomorrow I have to play my very FIRST public piano performance - a duet with my mom for a group of elders at a rest home, and I'm scared witless. There's a reason that I've never done this in my 42 years! There will be cookies, and the dragon to beware is the post-performance "relief binge". Bringing gum for that one. Next day, DS10 sings in choir and the in-laws are coming for dinner. DH will be doing the cooking, and the entree will be either grilled salmon, or fried perch. Massive salad, much steamed veggies ... MIL is bringing pie. And y'all have heard it already - pie is not an attractant.

I'll probably need to check in a couple of times this weekend. Kitty, thank you so much for calling me a "maintainer"! It's an image that's still awfully foggy for me, and there are a lot of days I feel underqualified ... but I shall fake it til I make it! If I have to fake it for the rest of my life, that's fine, but those 20+ are off for real. Always ... learning!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #204  
slow and steady

ICU and Pat, good luck with your challenges!

I made it through the work lunch unscathed. Took a little ham and turkey, a pile of green beans, and a bowl of salad. I did end up eating one roll also. But I'm proud of myself for skipping the mashed potatoes and skipping dessert! Luckily their dessert was pies that looked like they'd been mass produced, frozen, and sat out on a shelf for a week before being cut up, so they weren't very appetizing.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #205  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Sorry I haven't been checking in -- I wanted to let you all know I am plugging along. Lots of stuff happening -- holiday business on top of work, PT time for my frozen shoulder, DH recovering from hernia surgery, etc. With everything on my plate, I am at best treading water on the weight loss front. I am clocking in at 132, which is what my ticker shows, but that's up a little from where I had been weighing at my low.

My goal for this holiday season is pretty modest -- just to gain less than I did last year! Last year I gained 10 pounds during the holidays (*blush*), but so far I think I am doing better than I was the same time this year. I would be ecstatic if I could maintain, but given my upcoming trip to the in-laws, I think that is unrealistic.

A more important goal is to really get back on the weight loss track in January. Last year I maintained for most of the year. Regardless of how well (or not) I do over the next few weeks, it's more important how I do over the next several months.

Paperclippy -- hope your wrist is feeling better soon!!!

Congrats to everyone who is working hard at getting or staying OP during these exercise- and diet-challenging times!

Last edited by yoyoma; 12-13-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #206  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Weekend is done and I managed not to get into anything with the offensive artificial colorant. It was still a 5 pound swing week - don't wanna do that again. All challenges met, and I kick off the week at 150.5 today.

Upcoming: Friday lunch with ex-Chrysler coworkers at a bar (I know the menu - it'll be fine), meeting friends for a drink that night (not too scary - I can plan for it), and the biggie - our annual trip to the 1913 Room in Grand Rapids. I would dearly love some advice on the entree - I'm really intrigued by the vegetarian option (and I'm a Loooonnngggg way from vegetarian). I will post it in a separate thread since I know not everybody visits this one.

yoyoma - I'd read it as a success, given the huge improvement over last year! I remember that I was closing in on HW and rock-bottom self esteem at this time last year, and I made the classic mistake of saying "screw it" til the first of the year. I don't remember how many pounds I managed to add in the last two weeks of December, but I'll bet it was close to 10. Still blows my mind that I'm here posting in Maintainer's a year later, holding off 25 pounds.

paperclippy - well done! It's funny how much misery you can avoid by overloading on salad first! How's the wrist doing?

waterrat - how was your weekend?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #207  
Chuggin' along...

Ok, troops, how did all the food events go this weekend? Laughing at my use of the word "troops", sometimes I do feel like I'm in a battle!

Food went well at my Christmas party Saturday! I planned for a few glasses of wine. There was tons of food but a lot of choices really didn't look that appetizing to me. Very little vegetable content, though. I was glad I'd eaten a large salad before I went. I stuck to shrimp, turkey, and tried bites of 3 other dishes that weren't so great. One small cookie, one small brownie, and that was it. At one point I was standing next to the desserts again. They didn't even look all that great. I just said to myself "don't even go there" and walked away.

I did a lot of bulk cooking yesterday and I once again am facing a week (full week, this time) of early morning workouts, or none at all, due to 5 pm play rehearsals. This morning went ok. Must keep my energy up for these early rise and shine days! I don't have any more big "food" events until Christmas eve dinner. (That I know of - who knows when baked goods will appear in the office.)

yoyo, glad you checked in! It's true that we focus on the few weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas b/c of all the seemingly food-focused events, but January onward is just as important.

Jessica, how's your wrist? Did FIL give you any advice?

ICU, we cross-posted. Glad you're staying out of whatever's causing that reaction. Sorry I can't offer any advice on the Grand Rapids dining out. Would it be too weird to just call and ask about the entrees? It's not like you have to identify yourself on the phone, you could just say you're dining there soon, are watching your food intake, and would like a description of the different entrees...? Call when they're not busy though.

How was everyone else's weekend? What holiday events are coming up?

Last edited by Megan1982; 12-14-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #208  
slow and steady

The wrist is totally better! It was really weird -- for one full week it hurt and didn't get better, if anything it got worse. Then in the next two days it went from there to 100% back to normal. I totally don't understand my body's healing process, but I'm glad it's better!

At too much at Thai food Saturday night, but magically weighed less Sunday morning. Did a good job with the main meal at the Hannukah party last night, but fell face first into the desserts. Originally we were planning to just bring this lemon tart, which I could have resisted, but then we found out there were going to be 17 people there, and the tart only made 8 servings, so we made brownies and brought ice cream too. Then of course there were actually only 15 people, 2 of whom are kosher and wouldn't eat anything, so we had a lot left. Pawned off most of the ice cream on the in-laws, took the brownies to work this morning, but we still have a little lemon tart left at home.

Yoyo, thanks for checking in!

ICU, good luck with the upcoming challenges! I will go check out your other thread.

Megan, it is a battle! Good luck with the workouts.

No more food events for me until we go to LA. I think I'm going to hit the 139 mark this week for my official weigh-in, since I've been bouncing around 139-140 the past few days. If I can sneak my way down to 138 before leaving for LA I'll be ecstatic, but it probably won't happen because there just isn't enough time.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #209  
slow and steady

It's been quiet on this thread lately! Is everyone slinking off with their tail between their legs since they've been falling down on the job?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #210  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
It's been quiet on this thread lately! Is everyone slinking off with their tail between their legs since they've been falling down on the job?
I'm still here! But you're right, it has been quiet lately. Well, I think a few people who really did have just a few lbs to lose reached their goals and don't "need" us anymore. Tear, tear.

I had a very good workout this morning. I added an extra 5 minutes on the elliptical, and did heavy legs, adding a few extra reps to my hamstring exercises and a little more weight. Of course now I'm sore, but it's the good kind. Official weigh in today - 155.5! (Last week 157.) I've been flopping between 156-57 for a few days so this is good! I feel like the weight loss is taking forever, but it's really not - 2-3 lbs a month is really good for me.

Jessica, I'm glad the wrist is better! Are you picking up your NRLW workouts again this week? Sounds like you've made it over the food hurdles and have another week of few food temptations before Christmas vacation - that's sort of how I'm looking at like right now, too.

ICU, kitty, anyone else out there?
Closed Thread