Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Fall Clothes Shopping

Last edited by Meg; 12-13-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:04 AM   #2  
Meg

I found this fascinating blog post explaining the cutbacks in plus sizes:

The Real Reason That Ann Taylor Hates Plus Sizes
Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

oh no, I'm really interested in this but the pictures don't show up!

My autumn colour choices are berry reds and blues, with the odd rich purply colour. I guess that'll make me neither casual nor classic but 'unusual'. That'll do!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #4  
Meg

Sorry you can't see the photos! Here's a link to the color charts: Autumn/Winter 2009/2010 The colors may be right up your alley!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

I wonder if Hawaii has Autumn fashions (that's where I live most of the year). We don't really have seasons, much.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #6  
Meg

Meg, Hawaii is my dream vacation!

I was so surprised when I went shopping in Naples, FL and they had winter clothes in the stores, like heavy sweaters and even winter coats. Maybe it's because they think the snowbirds will shop and take winter clothes home??
Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Meg--OT, but I have a theory (or set of theories) about that (Florida stores). One is that some transplants from the North just will not give up their Northern lifestyles. These folks still have overstuffed furniture in their houses as though living in New England. They keep their houses at 72 degrees in the summer so they can wear their typical clothes.

Another is that people who live in Florida do acclimate, and we do have seasons. It was "cold" here last winter, to those who live here. Gosh, we had on our long pants, long sleeved shirts, jackets, mufflers... thin blooded, we are! And a fire in the fireplace on those morning when it was below 40. Why, we had frost on the grass many mornings! (I know... it's different from real cold...)

And finally, I think stores don't even plan regionally. They figure someone in Fla. in the winter may be buying gifts for the folks up North, and they aren't going to send home a shorts set...

I really think some of those colors are nice, but I hardly pay attention to "casual" vs. "classic" vs. whatever it was...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Yes, you do get acclimated. If it drops below 70 now, I feel "cold." I wear long sleeves everywhere anyway (not heavy sweaters though), because I absolutely refuse to get a tan.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #9  
Meg

My dad always marvels at the golfers in Naples who wear stocking caps and gloves when the temperature falls into the 50s. And Jay, it just kills me when people move to FL and buy the same furniture as they had up north. I've walked into condos of my parents' friends that are typical Florida on the outside and typical Indiana on the inside. Very bizarre indeed.

Meg, do you buy seasonal clothes at all for Hawaii? Or is pretty much the same things all year round?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

Interesting article about the plus sizes, thank you. I have just been shopping yesterday and when I tried things in a shop called Mango noticed that all the L sizes are French/Italian/Spanish L`s and equal US/UK S`s. When I asked what`s the largest size they offer they said LX, so that`s an M. Yet, I saw no XL on the hangers (probably all taken).

Other European companies (Kookai, Zara) have added more generous sizes for the British market (not a compliment, of course, but much appreciated!) and it was a nice surprise to find that I now fit in a Zara M (while Mango L is still too small!)

Stella
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #11  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I haven't picked up any clothes for fall yet (except from Kohl's, Ann Taylor, and J. Jill's clearance racks -LAST year's fall/winter clothes). Only a year into maintenance, I am still filling out some holes in my wardrobe, so I will be checking the sales with an eagle eye.

I have a few pieces in the "chic" colors, but most of my wardrobe tends to fit into "classic". Not much from the casual palette.

At this point - ANY color except black is wonderful (all those years of wearing black), but I'm having a hard time actually BUYING other colors. Somehow the black items jump into my cart/hands and scream "buy me".

EDIT:
I just ordered a few more fall pieces from Kohl's (stackable promo codes and clearance racks are definitely a weakness for me). Colors purchased: white, Mazarne Blue, Fuchsia Rose, Aqua Silver, and black.

Last edited by CountingDown; 07-12-2009 at 06:08 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

at the "classic" colours - they are the paint pallette we use for whatever house we're renting. We have various rooms in the yellows, greens, and browns .

I can't wear anything pink or red (I am really pink-faced) so the chic colours are out for me too .

Not that I really pay attention to all this. I tend to wear green and purple, orange, some black (getting kinda old for that) but now leaning toward grey as a neutral, and whatever patterns appeal to me.

I really don't need any more fall/winter clothes except for a dressier coat. I'm getting that "gently used" at the designer store if I can find one I like.

And some green and/or purple cords if I can find them.

Don't get me started on the shoes though - that's my weakness. I keep finding pairs in the back of the closet that I bought a couple of years ago and haven't worn yet!

And if there's Christmas music playing while I'm wearing shorts there is something badly wrong with that scenario.

Dagmar (to the mansion born)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

FALL clothes?!?!

I'm still waiting for summer here. It has been a COLD summer so far. I had a week in Houston and I'm going to Southern California next week and want to wear my new summer clothes!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #14  

Height: 5'11"

It's been in the high 90's here the past week or so, so it's hard for me to think of fall clothes but I know it's right around the corner. I really, really want a pair of corduroy pants this year, but I refuse to get them until my gut gets a little flatter. Maybe I should make that my next goal? I don't really follow the "trends" for colors; I tend to buy the colors that flatter my complexion, which are the cooler colors. I saw a lot of pretty oranges and yellows out there in the summer clothes, but alas, I can't wear those at all or people ask me if I'm not feeling well LOL.

I was trying things on the other day and was very relieved that I can once again fit into my cute winter wool coat. I was too chunky for it last year and I can easily zip it up this year! Yay!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #15  
Meg

I can't wear yellow either, though it's so sunny and cheerful.

I found this Virginia Woolf quote from her diary that made me think:

Quote:
I must remember to write about my clothes next time I have an impulse to write. My love of clothes interests me profoundly; only it is not love; and what it is I must discover.
So what is my infatuation with clothes?

I think my love of clothes is because they're a big part of my motivation to keep the weight off. It seems like a trite reason but one of the biggest things I missed during the obese decades was being able to wear cute little clothes. As a result, I barely bought anything (not that there was much of a selection in my size) and didn't care how I looked since I only wanted to be invisible. Now I'm willing to be put myself out there and be noticed. So I'm making up for lost time!