Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #16  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I will pledge not to indulge EXCEPT on Halloween night. LOL! That was my plan last year and I am sticking to it!!!

BTW--guess what we do? After my kids eat until near death on Halloween night they brush their teeth and go to sleep. If they leave the rest of their candy outside their door the "Halloween Fairy" takes it and leaves a toy behind. THEY LOVE THIS! Last year I took all the leftover candy and helped stuff a neighbor's pinata with it! LOL.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 09-14-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm in. It's the low quality stuff of Halloween that put on my pounds, especially the after Halloween sales stuff (thanks Meg).

I'm also in for all the piles of stuff that's brought in to office the next week.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Count me in, too. Even one taste seems to set me off and make me want more, more, more. I do so much better if I don't even have candy of anykind. I took a pledge at EAster and it worked beautifully.

Here's to no Halloween Candy!

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
I'm in. It's the low quality stuff of Halloween that put on my pounds
Good point, it may be helpful to think about just how poor quality this stuff is.

A new ingredient has been popping up in chocolate. Companies such as hersey's are trying to sneak in a cheaper man made cocoa butter called PRPG. They're actually trying to change the definition of chocolate, so they don't have to use cocoa butter at all (since chocolate is defined by the percentage of cocoa butter)
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #20  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm in with Thighs -- I will ONLY eat Halloween candy *on halloween night.* None before, none after. And I won't eat too much of it, either.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

In regards to the low quality issue: I totally agree! Who wants to waste 100 or more calories on some icky, yucky, tasteless crap? Wouldn't it be better served on something that both tastes good and is better for you? I weigh this decision each and every time I decide what to eat!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #22  
No description available.

I love the Halloween Fairy idea!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Interesting about the new replacement ingredient for cocoa butter. I know a lot of Easter "chocolate" up here is now just brown sweet wax. At Halloween my downfall is the mini chocolate bars - I can inhale about 20 of those no problem.

I'm good until the last kid leaves our front porch and then I'm face down in the halloween candy bowl. DH cruises the drug store for the half off stuff the next day.

This year I will give the last kid the remainder in the bowl and DH can take his candy and put it where he wants, without my seeing it.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 165/136/134

Height: 5'3.5"

I'm in

For the first time ever last halloween I finally felt I was in control & had 2 mini's of each of my favorites - peanut m&m's & twix and you know what - they didn't even taste that great.

There's also a co-worker who is constantly refilling the candy jar at work with those little chocolate minitures. Usually I'm really good at passing it by but I had a few too much last week (yes, it was that time of the month) & I didn't feel good afterwards.

Also instead of my usual christmas family photo cards I decided I'm going to send out halloween family photo cards - so I get to wear a sexy witch costume. What better way to celebrate my one year maintenance milestone next month =)
workingmom1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #25  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

You're not the boss of me....

Kiddo....I can go for years and not eat a piece of candy....

thank goodness they don't hand out potato chips on Halloween....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #26  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post

Funny you say that! I was just telling my 10 year old the other day about this. Growing up we lived near a man who was the founder of a mid-west potato chip company, (Guy's). Every year we would walk about 1/2 mile to his house because he handed out full sized bags of potato chips for Halloween! LOL

I'll take the vow! I can never stop at one, especially Reese's peanut butter cups. If I start, I'll be 20 pounds heavier by Christmas...and OH, I don't want that!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post

One year my kids came home with cans of Diet Coke. Now that was a strange treat!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #28  
A Mom on a Mission!

S/C/G: 162/143/130

Height: 5'3

I will take this pledge, even though I know it will be a tough one for me! I am a pharmacist in a grocery store, and they set up the seasonal candy display right across from the pharmacy. So I literally stare at it all day. Plus we always keep a basket of suckers, or other seasonal candy for kids on the counter. But I know I will be so proud of myself if I can do it, so I'm going to try!
Turning30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #29  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I'd like to participate too. I'm already in a Halloween challenge to get to goal, and it just seems like the goal and the candy are completely incompatible. I've literally rolled down that slippery slope too many times! As Lori Bell mentioned, it's not so much the calories from the candy - it's having to weather the sugar cravings for a month afterward. I think that kicking off the holiday season with "owning" Halloween can only bring good things to Thanksgiving and Christmas.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #30  
Working My Way Back Down

I'm in! Like Allison, we get NO kids at our door, so we don't buy any, but a lot of leftover appears at work the next day, so the temptation is there.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote