Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-02-2009, 04:13 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: Week Of November 2 - 8

How did Halloween go for everyone? From the looks of the "No Candy" thread (brilliant idea, Megan!), we had a lot of success doing better than in previous years. Does anyone have pictures to share?

So it's onward to Thanksgiving! Which may be my favorite holiday of the year because 1) no gifts are involved and 2) my whole family will be getting together -- about 22 of us, I think. Even though there's pie and lots of starches, it's still a meal built around lean protein so we have an advantage right there!

DH and I hosted a dinner party on Halloween, which went beautifully. The only glitch was me getting sick the day before and feeling really awful the whole time our guests were here. I tried to suck it up and be the gracious hostess, but the whole time I just wanted to put my head down on my dinner plate and go to sleep. But it was fun and we have lots of very low calorie bouillabaisse leftovers.

My body didn't get the memo about the time change, so I was up at what felt like the usual time, ready for the gym. Too bad I'm off by an hour. Ugh, it will be a long day but hopefully my body clock will reset by tonight. I still can't breathe but at least my sore throat is gone. I figure that even if I can't do a lot of cardio, I can lift. Which is lots more fun anyway!

I started a thread about holiday planning and challenges and hope you all join in. I'm a good maintainer until I get to the last two months of the year, and then I have a tendency to fall apart. So my goal is to keep on track all through the holidays this year and not have to resolve to lose weight on January 1.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Good morning all!

Halloween night was spent sitting among many young people of Filipino heritage. Interesting evening. DH's band played really well and got a very positive audience response.

We did each eat a bag of Lindor truffles when we got home (chocolate at 1 a.m. - never again!!!) which was my plan to counter not having any other candy. I didn't even want mine and turns out DH couldn't taste his - he has the same bug you have Meg.

The two of us (DH and I) really are compulsive overeaters.

Back OP yesterday and ready for the new month today with a new dog starting today!

Daylight savings really hits me beacuse my body doesn't adjust well to any time change at all. I went to bed Sunday around 2 a.m. and woke up at my regular time (4:30 a.m. old time). I did have a long nap in the afternoon.

This morning started at 3:45. It's gonna be a looong day. I tend to overeat when I'm tired to try to give my body extra energy and I do the same when I feel cold. Winter /daylight savings combo kills me.

I have come up with a strategy to eat more protein ccalories in heated form during the day/afternoon to counter the evening binges. Probably microwave meatballs and cup of soup at home. Hoping to take along a thermos of soup for work too, although that's really hard to eat in the car. Maybe I'll heat up the thermos and throw the meatballs into it - hot finger food in the car!

I'm really going to concentrate on finding alternative behaviour patterns this month and sticking to them. I think I'm going to post myself reminder notes on the fridge.

Off to weightlift and then to load up for Monday's first walk.

Have a great week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! I am also off to lift this morning. I am on the second week of NRLW and I am still excited about it.

I also really fall apart the last two months of the year. I have good momentum going now, but my ILs are arriving for a week long visit on Saturday. That alone sends me into a tailspin, but then the next week is my birthday, then Thanksgiving, then the Christmas party madness begins. :sigh: One day at a time, right?
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Question Photos - help needed

I have some photos of myself as a vampire on my hard drive. I know how to attach them to facebook and hotmail but I can't seem to get them on here.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #5  
Maintainer Wannabe

Maybe I'll get mine downloaded from the camera today.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #6  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

Meg- Glad the bouillabaise turned out, and hope you are on the mend.

Dagmar- have you tried clicking the "go advanced" button and then the attachment button? If I want to insert pics directly into a message, I usually use facebook--I go to the photo, then right click "view image", then copy the url and paste it into the dialog box that opens when I click the image icon.

Mud- I also have the tri-fecta of Thanksgiving/Birthday/Xmas, though this year my birthday is actually on thanksgiving so I suppose that kills two birds with one stone

I have some damage control to do this week from the weekend. Back into the old routine The only issue will be getting rid of my Halloween candy. Up till now I had been able to have candy around and work it into my day responsibly, but for some reason I can't stop sneaking into the Halloween candy.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Speaking of pictures I posted our Halloween pics...I am the chubby faced pirate...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...phy-wench.html
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #8  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

Alright, I'm trying to attach a picture to this post. Let me know if you don't see anything! BF and I dressed as Magnum PI and Jelly Beans as planned for my friends' party. I was so sad I left the "thatch" of chest hair I made for him at home, but his costume was still very funny. You can't see it but his shorts are quite short as well. I was very impressed with all of my friends' costumes, b/c most of us made them and they were really good! The party was a whole lot of fun. The weather turns back to cool here and I went on a really nice bike ride yesterday and did a little bit of gardening. I cleaned up the house because it's my turn to host my book club tonight. For the "theme" of this month's book I'm serving Italian food, and I'm looking forward to my little dinner party.

Meg, I'm glad your dinner party went well but I hope you feel better soon. Get lots of sleep and let all the healthy nutrients you eat do their work!

Forestroad, step away from the candy! Perhaps if you freeze it - the chocolate stuff at least - that will help you eat it more slowly. Frozen candy bars are yummy.

Ward, yes, we'll all take it one day at a time, and be here to support each other!

Dagmar, I've got a stainless steel thermos that keeps food pretty warm. It was a gift, but I believe purchased at WalMart - they're not expensive and widely available - and I love it in the winter! I'll keep soup or chili warm to eat for lunch out on the boat on a cold day, or to bring for my dinner at rehearsals when I'm involved in a play and can't get home for dinner.

I hope everyone has a great week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnum & Jelly small.JPG (13.1 KB, 46 views)
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #9  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

The Magnum costume is hilarious!

My bf and I went as Sweet Dee and Mac from The Nightman Cometh episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia...anyone watch that show? Here's a pic:
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

What a fun thread already with pictures and all!!

I have so far stayed Halloween candy free.
I keep thinking back to last year when I ate ZERO Halloween candy to try to stay strong. We have a ton of candy here. I'm going to donate it to the Blue Star Moms on Saturday. DD is working her way through it and I'll donate whatever is left on Saturday. Maybe if I tell myself I'm taking it away from the soldiers I won't be too tempted!!

I am just exhausted. Dh is traveling for a couple of weeks, I worked all day yesterday and the time change has hit me. I just want to sleep. I had to wake up extra early to register for classes for Spring semester. Got what I needed though. Then not quite enough time to go back to sleep.... sigh.....

Halloween party Friday night with dh. Tons of fun. I had one drink only and ate nothing. I just worked on dancing and staying away from the buffett! I was a ladybug and dh was an entomologist. I was a cowgirl at school Friday and that was fun too....

DD straightened my hair today. My hair is super long and curly and I've never straightened it. It will be interesting to see how the kids (and adults) at school react.

Love all the Halloween pics and stories!! I love Halloween. We had probably 100 trick-or-treaters. I was by myself answering the door. The only down side was that my dogs wouldn't stop barking. I had them locked up but they still sound very scary (and obnoxious)

Can I pretty please go back to sleep now?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Great costumes everyone!!

Meg, I hope you feel better soon!

Dagmar, an insulated thermos you can bring hot soup in for lunch sounds like a great idea to me.

Speaking of birthday trifectas, I need to figure out what we're doing for DH's birthday (December 13). He's turning 30 so I want to do something special with his family but I'm not sure what yet. I've already picked out his birthday present but I haven't bought it yet. I'm going to get him the Can O' Worms worm compost bin! I know, it's kind of a weird present, but hopefully he will be happy with it. Just the other day he was pointing out some worm castings in our yard and saying how great worm castings were, and he's been saying he needs a good compost bin for a year.

In any case, my holiday birthday season would be more crazy if I lived near my parents and sister, because my sister's bday is December 3, my mom's is December 10, and DH's is December 13!

Our Halloween party went really well. There was a lot of junk food, but I anticipated that and planned for it. I'm only up 1lb today from my official weigh-in Saturday morning, which is my standard weekend weight fluctuation so I'm not worried. My only challenge this week is dinner out tonight for work. I will be browsing the menu today to see what looks healthiest.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #12  
Maintainer Wannabe

Here are my trick or treaters -

Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had a GREAT Halloween! Hubby and I went out and we bought my Jaguar!!! It is such a luxury car! Lots more bells and whistles than my Infiniti but missing a few conveniences here and there--small things that I'll just have to get used to. Weird how the car is a bit longer and wider yet less leg room inside...but I won't complain!!!

Dagmar~I saw your photos on FB this morning. Nice makeup job!

We actually had trick or treaters this year! 8 in fact. Well, really only 7 because #7's twin brother was home sick, so we sent extra home with his brother, so I'm still counting it as 8. DS is happy as he has 18 full size Reese's PB cups to consume over the next few weeks.

Everyone's photos are great! We didn't do anything but watch TV and hand out the candy. DS was still getting over a bad cold (so bad that he stayed home from school Friday.). Thankfully he had no fever. But we have an employee who went home early Thursday, doctor Friday, and still out today. I hope he didn't get anyone else sick before he left. It sounds like he got the flu.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Forest - I love "it's always sunny..." !!! Cool costumes!

I'm just breezing through because I'm off to get my hair cut this morning. I'll stop back in afterwards (maybe with some pics).
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Good morning! My weekend wasn't terrible, could have been better, could have been worse. I only had a small amount of Halloween candy - DH brought home a small bag of Lindor Truffles on Saturday. Went for a long run at the park yesterday and my calves are killing me today! Did some yoga last night and this morning hoping to loosen them up, but the sitting in my chair isn't helping with that. I'm thinking about standing up and sitting my laptop on a file cabinet shelf for a while...

And time change always kills me, too. For example, right now my body thinks it is almost lunch time but I have another hour to go... Urgh.

Meg - hope you feel better!

Dagmar - have you looked at Bento Boxes? They have several different containers for different kinds of foods I believe.

Ward - good luck with the in-laws visit... Great costume pics!

Iris - !

Forest - I find myself more often to sneak into candy or sweets now than I used to. I'm wondering if it is because I eat so much less of them now? I used to be able to keep candy in the drawer for weeks at a time and not feel the need to get into it, now it sits and burns in the back of my head until I grab some. Great costumes!

Gary - congrats on the costume prize! You guys looked great!

Megan - Magnum & Jelly Beans turned out cute, even without the chest hair! Sounds like you guys had a good weekend! How did you meet your book club? Friends you knew or a public group?

Michele - glad you got the classes you needed! How did the straight hair go at school today?

Jessica - good job at the party this weekend!

Allison - congrats on the new car!

Oddly, my weight is back down today even though I had stromboli & cannoli on Friday and then ice cream on Saturday. Weird. Usually pops up a little from the sugar a day after the food item. Might have finally gotten rid of the sucralose related bloating... No headaches or stomach issues in the week plus post splenda. Woo hoo!

Good day everyone!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 11-02-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote