Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #1  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Thumbs down Ishka Bibbles- Fage Yogurt Is Not For Me!

Ok,
Out of curiousity I've been for years hearing what a "find" fage yogurt is. I wanted to try it being all I have been hearing is rave reviews on this stuff. Well I finally broke down & spent the $2.75 for an 8oz container to try it. I bought the 2% stuff & put it on my 2 kashi waffles this am with sliced strawberries. Oh my nasty, I did not like it at all, yes it was thick, but it tasted like a bad sour cream to me. Ishka bibbles- yuck! I realize some of you add artificial sweeteners to it or honey to sweeten it up or agave, but I do not USE any of those sweeters as I do not care for them. Needless to say, I will cross this one off of my bucket list! Anybody with me on this one??
What a waste of almost $3 bucks I tell ya!!!!
I will stick to my 27 grams of sugar laden fat free fruit flavored yoplait yogurts several times a day instead, it tastes great and I have been eating it for umpteen years and yanno it does my body great! Cringe on people, cringe on...

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 05-06-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Smile To each his own, but I'm with you on this one......

I'm in 100% agreement with you. Although I believe we're in the minority. I simply don't like the stuff. It reminds me of sour cream. And I despise sour cream. I never, ever liked the stuff. Wouldn't make a difference what I stuck in there, it still reminds me of sour cream. Major yuck. So therefore Fage yogurt is not for me. *sigh*.

So, I've been sticking with the Danon no-fat 80 calorie yogurt, with artificial c#@p in it. Up to 3 a day at times. For almost 3 years now. They changed the formula a few months back. I didn't care for it at first. But quickly learned to LOVE it again. LOVE it. I'm stuck with it and it's stuck with me. And I'm perfectly okay with it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #3  
No description available.

I do like greek yogurt, but I usually get the Voskos brand. I have to make a special trip to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's though, so I don't get it often. When I do, it is a lovely treat. I just add berries and maybe some walnuts.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

So I have had some experiments with greek yogurt. At first I was hesitant to try it because the description I kept hearing was that it's like sour cream, and I HATE sour cream. But eventually I tried the Fage strawberry flavor, and I loved it. It's really like any other yogurt for me -- I like it better when it's full of sweeteners. I can't stand plain regular yogurt either, it has to have sugar or honey or something in it to sweeten it up, and fruit just isn't sweet enough. I find that the greek yogurt, when sweetened, reminds me more of whipped cream than sour cream. I can't eat it plain though.

I've switched yogurt brands a few times. I used to eat the good old lowfat Dannon fruit at the bottom yogurts. Then for a while I ate Brown Cow, which I liked because it was organic and they had chocolate flavor. That is, until I got a container that was not past the expiration date but had gone bad (which I didn't realize until I put a spoonful in my mouth, yuck!). I ate Stonyfield Farm yogurt for a while, then we switched grocery stores. For a little while I bought yogurt from a local organic dairy, but it was way too liquid for me (you could drink the stuff) and $$$. I like to eat my yogurt, not drink it. The new grocery store didn't have any of the brands I used to get, so I started with Wallaby brand "Australian-style" yogurt. Wallaby is pretty creamy, more liquidy than Dannon, but not as much as the local one I'd been eating. I ate Wallaby for ages, but the grocery store only carries it in four flavors, of which I only like two (blueberry and raspberry). You can only eat so much blueberry and raspberry yogurt! So I gave up on Wallaby two weeks ago. Last week I bought some other brand I can't remember the name of -- something Swiss -- and it turned out to be basically the same as Wallaby but in a couple different flavors (apricot and pink grapefruit). This week they had Chobani greek yogurt on sale so I bought a few of them.

I don't like the Chobani as much as Fage. Why? Because the fruit fillings are not as sweet! I have the worst sweet tooth. OTOH Chobani is cheaper.

I don't know what I'll buy next week. I kind of wish that they had Dannon fruit at the bottom at my new grocery, but they only carry the Light and Fit, and I absolutely can't stand artificial sweeteners in my yogurt (as DH says, "it tastes like cancer!").
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #5  

Height: 5'11"

I haven't tried Fage but I have had other greek yogurts and I have to say--it was pretty nasty. I didn't care for the texture or taste at ALL. I'm sticking with my artificially sweetened Yoplait yogurt for now. I do sometimes eat normal plain yogurt with a tablespoon of instant pudding mix--it is like fake cheesecake. Yum.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I do like Fage but it's spendy, so on a regular basis I buy Trader Joe's fat free Greek yogurt with honey. 120 calories and not quite as thick as Fage (which is a disappointment to me!). It's as sweet as any of that yoplait stuff. Personally, I'd rather spend 40 calories for honey (I try to limit artificial sweetners, but I'm not super strict about it).

I always thought Fage was more like a very thick cool whip as opposed to sour cream (texture wise, not taste wise). If I buy plain Fage to add to berries I do like to drizzle a little honey on it - it's so decadent to me.

But - hey, I hate Fiber 1 cereal which people love, there is no sense eating any food you don't like.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwomaniamshe View Post
I bought the 2% stuff & put it on my 2 kashi waffles this am with sliced strawberries.
Oh, that is exactly what I do every Sunday morning all summer long (except I make my own pancakes and buy TJ brand Greek yogurt). I loooove it , and I don't add any sweetener. The fruit and grains are sweet enough. Mmmmm, it's time to start that up again.

I don't really know how it compares to sour cream. I never cared for sour cream and haven't had it in forever. Maybe it helps not expecting it to compare to anything else.

I did think the TJ brand was less sour than the Fage.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 05-06-2009 at 10:34 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Well I'm a greek yogurt lover as long as its not the FF, that I find nasty. Its probably the one thing that I'd say I couldn't have lost the weight without. That and summer fruits (even in winter!)

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

I kept hearing how GREAT Greek yogurt was so I got vanilla and blueberry luckily the Blueberry was on clearance for .99 the vanilla was 2.79 for 4 oz!
The blueberry was eatable but not good though my 2 year old ate it right up like it was pudding so atleast it didnt get wasted! The vanilla OMG gag me! That stuff was N-A-S-T-Y
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #10  
Workin' It

I tried the plain fat free fage and hated it... I think it cost me in the $3.25 range... Yuck... The vanilla 2% wasn't so bad. I do like the Oikos, blueberry and vanilla, as long as it isn't the fat free version. I started getting the European style yogurt from Trader Joe's and it is pretty good, but I don't know if there is anything different about it.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmm, I can hardly ever get Greek yogurt here, and when I see it, it's Oikos. I've never been able to bring myself to pay over $4 for it though. I usually get a brand called Mountain High (lf for me, regular for DH) in the plain or vanilla flavor. If I want it thicker, I strain it for about 12 hours. I can't stand artificial sweetner in anything so I'll spend the few calories for honey or sugar. I don't have a sweet tooth so it doesn't set me off for wanting more, but I don't eat it every day either. I prefer cottage cheese with fruit, which I don't sweeten any further.

Quote:
But - hey, I hate Fiber 1 cereal which people love, there is no sense eating any food you don't like.
Glory, you're right! I seldom eat any cold cereal other than Cheerios! To each his own.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #12  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Glad I'm not the only one who feels the same! The funny thing is RR I enjoy sour cream, even the fat free kind is fine by me, I don't eat it often but I can certainly enjoy it with chips & salsa or taco salad or on a fahita from time to time.

Paperclippy I hear your hubby loud & clear on the taste like cancer comment, oh so true!

Julie- we obviously have different taste buds, I enjoy strawberry or blueberry yoplait yogurt on kashi waffles with bananas or strawberries on top & they are also a staple for me!

Fiber one I used to love it, but I gave up artificial sweeteners COLD TURKEY over a year ago & FIber one is ladened with the stuff.

Did you ever notice, they are putting that "fake sugar" in everything that never used to have it before?.... from gum to everything in between ughh makes my blood boil. I'm an avid ingredient reader after buying 2- 4 packs of mini nesquik chocolate milk 8 oz 100 calorie size for after my weightlifting sessions and they cost $10! Well I get them home & noticed they don't expire until September! WTF- Ummm, red flag, ok what in praytel is in this milk, obviously it is not normal milk!.... ingredients lowfat milk when it is actually filled with artificial sweeteners. Ughhh my hubby has to drink it now being I can't have artificial sweeteners, they gave me mysterious stomach pains, and after umpteen doctors bills and scans and being a human pin cushion, I pinpointed splenda as my problem. So I quit every artificial sweetener cold turkey over a year ago & I will never go back to them since I never felt better 2 days after I quit them and my mysterious stomach pains subsided, I was ODing on the stuff! I can honestly say I do not miss them one I-oda, water is my beverage of choice & ofcourse I drink wine & mohito's when the need arises!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #13  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

yeah, not so much on the fage yogurt for me either. And I really like sour cream. But not 6-8oz at a time
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #14  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
I usually get a brand called Mountain High (lf for me, regular for DH) in the plain or vanilla flavor.
Yeah, when I get the plain yogurt, I get Mountain High low fat. I tried the Safeway in-house brand of plain yogurt and it was really runny, so I stick with the Mountain High for now. It's plenty thick for me, so I haven't tried straining it yet.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Question Fage equivalent in Canada???

I haven't been able to find any greek-style yogurt at the supermarket up here. When I was last in NYC the supermarket I got my brekkie from carried Fage. It was pricey but I loved it! Plain, before I ate my fruit salad. Had it every morning and sometimes in the afternoon as a pick-me-up.

If there's anyone in Canada who's found it at the supermarket please let me know the brand and the market.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote