Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #46  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I use the ant traps instead of sprays, because you never know when the cat or a visitor might get into the sprayed areas (or we might, for that matter!), and the stuff is poisonous to more than just ants.

An ant or two isn't a reason for panic, but when they start a trail, they gotta go.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Welcome MtnChic!

For my ant problem, we use Terro. It's basically a boric acid and sugar thing all premixed. The only problem is that it is sticky--if the ants don't eat it all you have a mess to contend with. You're supposed to put a few drops of it on a card but that's rarely enough so we put it all over. The ants eat it, take it back to the nest and die but tell the other ants to come eat it, too. It takes a little longer to get rid of the ants, but it's pretty good and I can keep it away from the dogs. My biggest problem is that the ants will invade one part of my house and I'll get rid of them there and they simply move to another room. Gah.

My weight is down! I forgot to look but I think I'm at about a 4 week low this morning. My cookbook challenge is working!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #48  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

It didn't rain yesterday and we finally got to play golf. The course was still very muddy though and I played terribly. I can tell that it's gonna take a lot of practice with my new hybrid clubs. The only good thing was it was "cart path only" and I pretty much walked the entire course.

Yesterday evening I was exhausted and took a nap at 7PM which ended at 8AM this morning. LOL, the best sleep I've had in a very long time.

DH and I are scheduled to play in a couple's golf tournament this evening. I'm hoping it won't get rained out. It's very cloudy and he's out mowing the lawn right now.

I talked more with Shelbey and she said it's her weight that is getting her depressed. She is wanting to lose 30 lbs. so she will meet the weight requirements to join the Navy next year. I offered to walk with her every evening and help in any way that I can. Since our long talk about her not doing her chores, she is once again doing them. I think she realized I am serious. She actually thanked me for coming to her directly about the problem instead of going to her dad and letting him handle it.

My son just learned from the Army Reserves that they won't let him out of his time contract that ends Jan 1st, 2010. Therefore, he can't be full-time Coast Guard until after January. He was a little bummed. He is going to work in the oilfield now with DH until January and then join the coast guard.

We still have all 3 of the beagles (the strays that we took in). Looks like they have found their home, LOL. DH loves beagles and caring for them hasn't really been any big problem. They are cute now and look healthy.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #49  
Working My Way Back Down

Lily, somehow I figured those beagles would be yours! Glad to hear that your talk with Shelby was positive.

It's a lovely day here. We had a rain storm blow through last night, but it wasn't much at our house. I was at a meeting here in town - only 3 miles away - and it really poured here. DH fertilized the lawn yesterday, so he'd like to have a little more rain to soak it in.

This has been a long work week for me after having two 3 day weeks in a row. I need to do a lot around the house this weekend as well. Between DH and the cats, my floors need vacumning nearly every day. Plus I need to do a lot of meal planning. I've been doing it a day at a time for the past few weeks, and that is not ideal. I've no travel plans til the end of June, so a good 7 weeks ahead to drop a couple or three pounds and have my clothes fit a little better. The good news is that I am still the same weight as this time last year - just that I'd like to be down more.

The main road between our house and town is once again under construction - they started last summer and expect to done by mid-July. The upside is that when they're done we'll have a paved bike trail just a block from my house. Yay! I won't have to transport my bike somewhere to ride. (The road had very narrow gravel shoulders, and a 55 mph speed limit - very scary to ride on)

Okay, I'm procrastinating here as I have two employee evaluations to write, and I so don't want to do them. In fact, every other thing I had to do this morning is done!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #50  
Chuggin' along...

Shannon, I've had a pretty good morning and am trying to continue through the Friday afternoon pitfalls of living by the beautiful Florida beach... BF just got booked for a charter tomorrow morning, 1/2 day, though, so that's perfect to let me go get in a long workout before he takes me fishing (and hopefully fresh fish for dinner). Stay strong, we can do it!

Pat, the bike trail near your house sounds great! They just extended the one near me and it is so nice for a sunny day's ride - I hate riding in traffic, as there are no bike lanes and not even a lot of wide shoulders around here.

Allison, glad your cookbook challenge is working! Keep it up!

Welcome, MtnChic!

Lily, glad you and Shelbey were able to connect and get things figured out. She is lucky to have such a supportive parent around. I hope you get to play golf tonight.

Hi everyone else! Have a wonderful weekend!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #51  
hittin the trail in 2009

S/C/G: 148/127/123

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies I don't generally get on here too much over the weekends... So I'll have to talk to you all on Monday. I hope everyone has a healthy and happy weekend
MtnChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #52  
Workin' It

Retail therapy has been good to me today... Just got these two dresses for $52 at the JC Penney Mother's Day sale...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

TGIF!!

I have read all of the posts and I don't have time to comment right now, but I came here for strength! I need some!!! I have been doing so well for so long and have had two big oops in the last two days and my weigh in is tomorrow morning! Once I go off plan, it seems like I get totally railroaded and can't get back on track! Both times have a similar theme-- me not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings for saying no.... hmmmm.... see what I need to work on.... last night was Mother/Daughter bookclub at my school and all of the moms and girls brought dessert. I felt like it would be rude to say no to everything so I had a cupcake AND a brownie. I've had a headache ever since and the scale rewarded me with a 2 pound overnight gain!!

Then, today at school was the culmination of staff appreciation week. I had declined all of the bad stuff all week and was so proud of myself. Then, today the parents fixed a huge mexican luncheon. I fully planned to eat my frozen meal but I couldn't get past the parents to the freezer to get it. The parents accosted us as we walked in the door and handed us plates of food. I felt like it would have been extremely rude to decline. So, I ate it and it was delicious but now I feel very, very guilty and frustrated. I can say no to my family, but not to people I barely know???? I sure hope I can get to the gym tonight and run off some of the extra weight!!! I'm also coming back to school tonight for our Spring Fling. I will not eat anything. I will not eat anything. It will be my mantra.....Sorry for the whine!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #54  
Working My Way Back Down

Michele, I don't have much to offer with regard to the Mexican food, but I find with dessert type stuff, I can eat 1 or 2 bites then stop, maybe play with it a bit. Non-dessert food is harder for me, but again, in that situation I'd try to eat a bite or two then discretely ditch the plate - and make a point to tell the parents how good it was. We had a tea party at my quilt guild meeting last night. It was potluck, but I knew how much food there would be and didn't bring anything. (Bad me, but lots of those folks don't work so have more time). The passed plates of veggies/fruit - I ate some of this, without the dip. Then they passed little sandwiches, literally 2 bites each. Had one turkey, one salmon. Lastly they passed the sweet stuff. Had one homemade choc chip cookie. No way would I bother with commercial cookies. I also drank a whole bottle of water during this and visited a lot so I wouldn't eat more.

Shannon - love the dresses! Great price too!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #55  
Workin' It

Michele - Whine away! I know what you mean about saying no in that setting. The parents had provided the meal for you guys, so you felt guilty saying no. I would have done the same thing, and probably wouldn't have had the willpower to just eat a couple of bites and ditch the rest - I love Mexican... Don't beat yourself up over it, just get back on track! Good luck at the Spring Fling!

Pat - Thanks! I'm taking a big bottle of water with me tomorrow for the Mother's Day luncheon, and plan on a lot of visiting to detract from eating, too. Some of these folks I haven't seen since last Mother's Day so we will have a lot to visit about... Or at least that is what I'm telling myself.

Megan - just finished 5 miles on the treadmill. Woo hoo! Buying a treadmill with a tv definitely helps me with the motivation to stay on it.... Now to the busy weekend.... We can do it! Enjoy the boat tomorrow!

Good weekend everyone, and happy Mother's Day all!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #56  

I am so proud of myself! I always go out to lunch with DH on Fridays and we always go to our favorite Italian place. Today we were both starved when we got there and I almost decided on the tuna panini rather than my planned chopped salad with shrimp. I decided that I didn't want to feel guilty over my meal and I ordered the salad! Normally my hunger makes me give in to the larger meal. Now I have enough calories saved up for 2 slices of pizza tonight!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #57  
Workin' It

High five on the lunch choice, Allison!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #58  
Working My Way Back Down

Great job Allison! I too stayed strong, and had - a salad with shrimp! (Not chopped though)
Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Ants--yuck! I cringed when I read about the ants in your gym bag, Megan. And then the ants in Dagmar's house. Double yuck! It's horrible when you get this marching line of ants in your house. Reading about ants reminds me that where I now live has lots of them--will have to be on the look-out in my house. *Shudder*

Welcome to MtnChic! Good for you for starting to focus on maintaining now.

Shannon, congratulations on getting back under your redline!

Got a huge shock when I got on the scale this morning and read 170. I haven't seen the 170s in a couple of years now. It was less than a year that I was closer to the 140s. No wonder I can barely zip my pants and the muffin top is back big time. I just can't seem to get back into the groove. But. . .I just have to do it no matter what.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers.

ETA: Good choices for lunch, Allison and Pat!

Last edited by Sheila53; 05-08-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #60  

Oh, and the good choices just keep coming!!! It feels so good!!! Yes, I ordered pizza tonight but instead of two large (or one large and one medium) I only ordered one large for the three of us. I made a huge garden salad (added a breast of chicken to split between the three of us) and I ate close to half of it. That would mean about 2 cups Romaine, some tomato, cucumber, red pepper, red onion and perhaps 1/3-1/2 of the chicken with a non-fat dressing. I'm thinking, what?, 150 calories at most. And then I had 2 of the smallest pieces of pizza (instead of my usual 3 large slices). I'm stuffed! I'm feeling so much better for making good choices! (Granted take out pizza isn't the best--but I made the best of what DS wanted for dinner!)