Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #61  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My first car, back when I was 16, was a Fiat Spider 5-speed convertible. My parents bought it for me (I was a little spoiled ) and it broke down on the way home! I could write a book about all the adventures we had in that car. For a while, on every third start, I had to pour gas in the carburetor to get it to start. I carried a little plastic bottle of gas in the back seat and would pop the hood, unscrew the lid to the carburetor, pour in a little gas, screw the lid back on, close the hood, and start the car. Then there was the extra fuel pump my dad installed in the trunk (he was an airline mechanic, so all our cars could fly ). And the car liked Culture Club. It ran better when we had Culture Club playing in the tape deck (ah, remember tape decks? I even had one car that had an 8-track). But the Fiat definitely gave me a taste for convertibles, manual transmissions, and cars that are fun to drive. Until the Miata, every car since then has been a small letdown (and some have been a big letdown--there was the Chrysler LeBaron automatic sedan I had in college--can you say BORING).

allinnell: Those are way cute shorts! I especially think they'd be cute in purple and turquoise and pea green (my favorite colors!) I remember the first semester of college being a big adjustment. I did well in high school with almost no effort, and college was, well, a lot harder. It was a shock. I'm sorry your DD had a bad day but I'm sure she'll get things figured out. Maybe her instructor was yelling at her because he knows she has potential whereas he has just given up on everyone else. It can be hard to understand at her age, but having someone take an interest in you and try to help you improve is really a good thing.

wndranne: I'm glad things are going better. It sounds like you have a great week planned. I love those kinds of vacations.

paperclippy: With my dad being a mechanic, we always drove our cars until they conked out too. In fact, we usually pushed it a little further because my dad could always rig up some crazy fix. We had a Pontiac Grand Prix (it was green on the insider and two-tone green on the outside--classy!--we called it the "slimemobile") that we drove so long, the odometer actually rolled over.

Megan: Yeah, I really should have had those speakers fixed--they were probably even still under warranty when I blew them out. But Miata gets pretty good gas mileage, close to what my Civic got. I don't drive much anyway, since I work from home, so gas mileage wasn't a huge concern for me. I fill my tank only about once a month.

the slim me: Definitely! I think anyone looks better standing in front of a convertible!

Meg: I'm glad you were able to get out of the bathtub! Having to wait for your DH to get home would have been pretty cold and miserable--definitely not the bath experience you were looking for. I think being in great shape really helps your body heal quicker. Even with my black eye, I think it healed faster because I'm in such good shape. I also think exercise helped it heal--I felt like it looked better after every workout. I think maybe just getting all my blood moving and all my sweating helped clear things out. I'd imagine that the same concept can apply to swollen knees.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #62  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey guys!

Barbara, my best friend in high school used to drive her Mom's LeBaron! I could tell you some stories about the adventures we had in that car. It's amazing that we survived into our 40s.

Meg, you amaze me! I am happy to hear your recovery is going so well.

Anne, glad to hear your little one is gaining. It was always a worry for me when I breastfed, too. My daughter was a chunk when she was a baby (I supplemented w/ formula for her), but my son was exclusively breastfed and he has always been a skinny little thing.

Shelia - poison ivy! ack! I get it every year. All I have to do is look at it and 48 hours later the rash shows up.

Megan, we're all invited to the party, right?

I have been hanging around the same weight for a few weeks, but just today I officially hit my goal weight! I posted some before pictures in the "big pants" gallery if you're curious.

I hope everyone has a great day!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #63  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardHog View Post
Megan, we're all invited to the party, right?
Absolutely! Come on down to the beach everyone!

And while you're here, maybe you could bring those strong arms and help me move my bookshelves and boxes of books I packed last night into my new house...it will just take a few minutes, I swear.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Mel, yes I have told my family. I called my youngest son on his cell and pretty much blurted out " I have cancer." He was having lunch with someone at the time! He was very understanding , though and said " That's OK, Mom, your news was more important. I do think I should brush up on my " breaking bad news skills." Everyone around me is more upset than I am, right now I am looking at it as something I have to deal with. It is a mind blower, though.
Lily, hope your hepatologist's visit went well.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #65  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

My hepatology appt. was very disappointing. Good news was the Dr. was very proud of how well I've kept the weight off. Bad news is the Ultrasound of Liver showed more enlargement, Insulin Level was Up, All Liver Function tests were dramatically worse than 4 months ago. The Dr. feels that my Auto-Immune Hepatitis is severely flared up possibly as a result of the stress I've been under. A new liver biopsy is scheduled in 6 months. The Dr. did say he wasn't gonna panic just yet, so I'm gonna try not to panic either!

I'm now scheduled for some repeat tests included hip and shoulder X-rays with Bone Density testing. The Dr. feels like my bone disease is progressing due to years of being on Prednisone. He called it Necrotising Degeneration of the Bones? After the tests are completed, he is scheduling me with a Rheumatologist. We discussed new medications today but he will wait on all the other test results first before changing any of my med's.

Blue, I had a car that had an 8- track player too. LOL.

Allison, I love the shorts. I've seen several people wearing similar ones and wondered where they bought them ?
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #66  
Mel

for Lily and bargoo

Lily, sorry to hear the disappointing news. When was your last biopsy? I'm sure it must be incredibly frustrating and disappointing to have worked so hard to lose the weight and maintain, and still have your health decline
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #67  

lily- I am not in complete maintenance yet but I have been reading your posts and have to agree that stress is a HUGE "stressor" on your bod. Several years ago I was in hospital for a week (not something any insurance company in US approves unless it is serious) with a bizarre swelling in my neck and possible diagnosis of blood cancer, lymphoma, etc. It was ALL stress. Best good thoughts to you.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #68  

Default Hugs to Many

Just reading the last few postings, I think there are lots of you who need a hug, so I'm sending my hugs, thoughts, and prayers to those who are dealing with health problems and challenges. You should each be SO PROUD that even with personal challenges, you continue to maintain your weight or at least not let it get totally out of hand. That really says something about your commitment to a healthy lifestyle! I'll keep you as examples in my mind should I ever encounter challenging health problems!

This week has been a usual one for me except that I moved my work out time to early mornings. After 5 days of getting up at 5 a.m. to go to the gym, I am actually starting to enjoy the early morning workouts. How strange! I also switched up my workout on the elliptical a bit--increased the tension to 7-9 and am really noticing the difference. Furthermore, I decided that I'm going to join a friend who is a triathlete swimming some early mornings. I don't think I'm ready to go after the triathlete thing, but I've been practicing swimming in my gym's fitness pool. I bought goggles and a swim cap today. Now all I have to do is convince myself that I won't look stupid when I swim--I'm not very fast and am concerned that I won't be able to swim very far without having to stop along the side and pant Have to buy the swim pass and then just get in there and do it. If I don't like it, then I won't do it anymore; but it would be a change and I have noticed that swimming is a good cardio exercise.

I have an apptmt with my personal trainer next week. I've pretty much been doing the same two day lifting work out since January. It's time to change it up. I told the trainer that I wanted something I could do at the gym and at home and told her the equipment I have at home. I'm ready to change my lifting routine up, too.

As for my eating, as some of you might remember, I've been struggling with about a 3-5 lb gain and couldn't figure out why. My weight loss counselor suggested that it was because I was eating in the morning, barely eating during the day, and then eating quite a bit more at night--a change from my summer's eating which was kind of balanced throughout the day. With the return to teaching, I simply get too busy to "fit in" eating. I thought her advice about spreading my eating out throughout the day was dumb, but I took her advice and voila, I'm down 4 lbs as of this morning. That's a nice change. I'm back in the mid 170's where I'm more comfortable.

On a writing and studying note, I am now only 17 articles (rather than 100!)away from finishing my notes for the first phase of my dissertation. The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned back on !! I'll be glad to move on from the note taking stage to organizing the far too many notes I have. I have about 3 weeks til I meet with my advisor about my information, so I'm feeling good about where I am in my loose plan.

Hope you each have a carefree weekend. I'm taking in a huge craft sale tomorrow if the weather will cooperate. Take care all!
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #69  

Hi all,

Rabbit flying by...I am typing this covered in plaster, I'm just taking a break from my bathroom make oer job, bust I just HAVE to send some hugs and good vibes...: to all of you but especially to

Bargoo and Anne ::::h ug::

I'm thinking of you!
(BTW Barbara ..loved the pics of you & your car!)

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #70  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning, Just a flyby, but wanted to wish everyone a POP weekend.

Bargoo, Don't worry about your "breaking bad news skills". Right now you're still trying to process the news too and need support! I went through a scare a couple of years ago too. Dr. told me to go home and think about thetreatment I wanted. Turned out the biopsy was not CA. I thought i was handling it well. After he told me it wasn't CA I cried all day. Stress

Lilly, Hugs and prayers to you too. You are working so hard to stay fit, and taht does make a difference. Your body is more able to heal. Handling stress is easy to say, hard to do. And steroids!!! Necessary things but they can do so much damage. Hope you get a good Reumatologist.

make it a good day, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Just dropping by quickly -- my mother is here visiting so I don't have a lot of time online. I've skimmed through the posts and I'm sorry to hear about all the health problems. Bargoo and lily, you're in my thoughts.

Hurricane Hanna is sending lots of rain our way today, and because of it my mom is trapped here another week. My sister was supposed to drive up and get her today (a 6-hour drive) but Mom didn't want her out in the heavy rain, so she'll do it next weekend. I love having Mom here because she's very helpful with the baby, but she REALLY doesn't understand breastfeeding so she thinks I'm overfeeding him. It's a very annoying argument I get to have with her every couple of hours. Even when she backs off I can tell she's judging me and thinking that I'm hurting her grandchild by feeding him so much! I'm feeding him on demand! Sigh...

Another thing about having her here is that I'm eating VERY poorly. Junk food and unhealthy southern-style homecooked meals galore!!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lily~hugs. I hope the biopsy goes well and that any med change won't be severe on your system. As for the shorts, I got them at a local boutique. The brand is Billy Blues, and I think you can get them on the web, but I'm not sure. All the others I've tried this summer were at regular stores (Macy's, Sports Authority, Tilly's, etc., but none fit as well as these).

goalsuccess~I know what you mean about liking early morning workouts! I used to love getting up early to run. I'm thinking I may have to move my workouts to mornings as well due to conflicts after school. My next door neighbor was deployed again (3rd time this war) and his wife teaches school in another city, so I take their two boys to school in the morning (one to elementary, the other to middle school with my son). After school, I pick up the middle schoolers and take them home. BUT next week they start an after school program which means I don't pick them up as early, but will have to pick them up, drop off one at home and my son at Karate and then head to the gym. Either I have to pick them up extra early to get the neighbor home before Karate class starts, or drop of DS first, then head home and then go to the gym which at that point I'll have only 20 minutes for a workout. Yuck. I guess a couple days a week I could get DH to pick up DS from Karate, but that still gets me home rather late for fixing dinner......early morning is starting to sound better, but it will severely cut into my morning routine as the gym doesn't open until 5 AM (and can I be certain that they're there on time?).

LisaMarie~just ignore your Mom (LOL!). She means well, but she obviously isn't "in tune" with your baby and his appetite and needs. Enjoy the visit, though!

Rabbit~have fun with the remodel! That's a lot of work!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good morning (or afternoon) depending on where you are.
I went to my WW WI this morning and I was down 2 pounds. I was shocked. I had been up from my trip to drop off dd at college (I returned Monday). I have stuck to plan and exercised (though I missed a day of exercise which I usually don't do). I was at my lowest weight ever at WW. I was really pleasantly surprised. I need to figure out what I did and keep it up! Just had to toot my horn. Now my challenge is not to blow it this weekend with off plan eating.....

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend! I have to get my house back in order, do work, do schoolwork, etc.

Hugs and good wishes to all who are having personal or medical issues. I have my biopsy next Wednesday and I'm trying to not think about it. But.....I'm not sleeping well again so I guess I'm not being to successful. Sigh....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #74  

Height: 5'7"

Lily, so sorry to hear about your appointment and I'm sending all the good thoughts I can muster your way.

goal, I think you should seriously consider the triathlon. They are loads of fun!

Lisa, I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you! Good luck with your mom. Try to enjoy what you can, and leave what you can't.

michele, good job on the 2 lbs, and fingers crossed on the biopsy.

Hi everybody I missed!

I got to ride this morning, just a touch under 18 miles in about 1.5 hrs. Not bad. Pancakes after (YUM) but a reasonable serving size, so I'm happy with that. I'm going to the Melting Pot with some friends tonight, but I'm using Megan's success there as inspiration.

We are still struggling with toddler issues, but the whining and fits seem to be decreasing, under our (nearly) no-tolerance policy. We also may have turned a corner on the potty training again, when DH took away Dora the Explorer (and all TV really, it's just 90% Dora) until she decides to act like a big girl again, since babies (like her brother) aren't allowed to watch TV. So far it is working, but we'll have to see if it takes. It seems like everything works for about 4 days and then we're right back where we started. We are also starting to see more jealousy issues with the baby, where she is asking to be carried and get in the crib and such. I have such mixed feelings about using TV as punishment/reward, almost as bad as using McD's (like her father does), but at this point, hey, whatever works. Before I had children, I had standards. Not so sure anymore. Sigh.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Anne,
We bribed our younger daughter with getting pierced ears when she potty trained fully. It worked for us! Her older sister had pierced ears and she wanted them badly. We told her only big girls who used the potty got their ears pierced. I am a firm believer in bribery--- it certainly works for some children!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote