Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #61  
Meg

I am so cracking up at knowing that Sheila, Barbara, and I all immediately think of how much we can weigh when the doctor measures our heights. Like I've always said: I'm short for my weight. If I was 7' 8" or so, I would have been just fine!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #62  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good day all.

I've never had an ingrown toenail - and I'd like to keep it that way thankyouverymuch. Ouch is right! Wishing you a speedy recovery Meg.

Meg, NICE BP!!! As far as the height goes, gosh, at barely 5 feet tall, I can't really afford to lose any inches, or even 1/4 inches. And just where does that height go????? Knowing me, probably right to my calves.

Sheila, great weigh in. On vacation no less? FABULOUS!!!!

Megan, I'm so happy for you and your stupendous month!!! Peanut M&M's? Who needs em? You've proved that sticking with something, making a commitment is soooo worth it.

Jessica, glad you're getting some elbow relief. I hope the thumb turns out to be just a temporary thing & NOT arthritis.

Hi LisaMarie & everyone else.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #63  
Working My Way Back Down

Meg - I have had an ingrown toenail, and had it removed, so you have all my sympathies!!

Had to take a "field trip" this morning to visit all of the city's neighborhood parks, now that the snow is gone, so we can post pictures on our website, and also to see if all the equipment survived the winter. Found only one thing that needed immediate repair. Our grounds crew doesn't start til mid-May when things dry up and green up, so I'll be out there again with my trusty camera. But I got back here just after 11, and while my cottage cheese and berries are in a bowl, I've only managed one spoonful between people phoning and coming by. Grrrr, I'm starving, and now it's after noon. Think I'll just go eat my chili and keep the snack for afternoon. Good thing I got a latte to take with me on the photo trip.

I've managed to stay the same height. I really work on my posture, as I watched my grandmother, mother and MIL develop "humps" and shrink as they aged. At 63 I'm still standing straight! However, if I could grow a couple inches I'd be thrilled

Okay, enough. I need to heat chili.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #64  

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone!

It's dark, cold and rainy today, but I'm so happy it's Fri and payday, and I'm leaving work early! LOL

Speaking of shrinking, my aunt (mos's sister) is visiting from Guatemala, she flew in last night. I swear she's shrinking big time, she's in her mid 60's and granted she's never been tall, but when I saw her last night she looks so tiny! I don't think she's even 5 feet. And of course me being 5'8" she looks even smaller to me.

And it's funny about checking out height to see if we can weigh more, I was always saying I was 5'10" and was kind of bummed out when I found out I'm only 5'8" LOL. And to think that when I was in high school I desperately wanted to shrink b/c I was one of the tallest girls in school and didn't like it one bit.

Megan: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You did a great job with your NANS in April. I'm thinking I may try it myself.

Meg: Ouch your toe!! I have to confess, I'm always picking at my toes b/c I don't like getting ingrown nails, sometimes I make myself bleed and my DH is all over me saying I shouldn't be doing that. Guess if I make myself bleed isn't as bad as some else making me bleed?!

Lily: How did the dr's appointment go?

Sheila: Wow, managing to lose weight even on vacation, great job!

Robin: Come here, I'll help you with that ingrown toenail... LOL

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!!

Hope everyone has a great day.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My parents are certainly shrinking. Mom was 5'9" and Dad was 5'11" and both are now closer to 5'5". Dad has really bad kyphosis (sp?) and spine compression. Mom is just small.

I had a good day yesterday...pretty much on plan, half pound down. I'll try to be good today, but DH and I go out for Friday lunch and then we're all going out to dinner after DD gets her award for outstanding musician from the D.A.R.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #66  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

Allison, maybe you and I need to check and see how much life insurance our DH's carry on us. LOL. I loved the story though.

Meg, sorry about your ingrown toenail. I had 4 of them removed (under anesthesia) when Lacy was a baby. I had to crawl to get around my house for a few days. Much more painful than I expected.

We survived our trip to OK City for Lacy's appt's. I have to take her back next Wednesday morning for an EGD. They are concerned that she keeps getting food stuck in her throat. Then she has to see her pediatric cardiologist because the vascular ring that was fixed before (from her right subclavian) seems to have grown back and is causing a restriction around her esophagus and trachea again. They do think that the hiatal hernia and vascular ring surgeries will both need to be repeated. Last night she got a chip stuck in her throat on our way home and it was very scary. For now, it's soft foods only for her until all this is fixed. (Until she finally got the chip up, I was looking for the nearest ER as she was seriously choking.)

No news from Shane, but I did have Lacy send him a text message that the house phone is fixed and to call collect whenever he gets a chance. Plus we put the same message on Myspace in the case that he gets to use someone's computer and hopefully might see it.

My No Excuses week didn't go so well with being out of town , so I'm starting again today. Laura came by this morning and wanted me to go to IHOP for breakfast but I declined. I feel swollen and fat today, so I'm back OP!

Lol, about the height/weight thing. I checked my height at Lacy's Dr.'s yesterday. It showed me to be 5' 7 1/2 inches, so I think I'm taller now without all the extra poundage. My MIL was 5'6 and is now 5' 3 though.

Last edited by lilybelle; 05-02-2008 at 12:57 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #67  

Another week rushed by! Already we're in May, but it certainly doesn't seem like spring in northern Minnesota. Today, though, the sun is shining. However, the wind continues to blow which makes it not as nice. I'm still holding out hope that the weather will turn soon, so I can enjoy more and longer walks outside. I am a sun worshipper for sure.
Food wise, it's been a good week. I've given up my caramel lozenges and haven't had any trouble with it. I do have one package at home that is probably going to have to go into the garbage. Knowing they are here makes them extra tempting. It's not that I haven't thought about buying them, but when I go to buy them, I remind myself of my promise (no excuses) and step away from the bags of SF candy When I pass them up, I feel so much more in control of another aspect of my eating. That's cool!
I continue to log what I'm eating and my exercise. I must admit that I am starting to resent the constant, vigilant watch of my eating habits a bit though. I mean, I want to eat what I'd love to have to eat (pizza, chocolate, cookies, chips) rather than having to stop myself ALL the time. How do you get over this feeling of being deprived? What do you tell yourself? I'm sure I could just go ahead and have something. The problem is I want to have EVERYTHING!!!! Ugh! I continue to believe that losing all this weight is great, though, and I have such cute clothes that I don't want to not fit into them. The real pressure, though, comes from truly knowing that everyone (ok everyone that knows I've lost weight at the fitness center and at my work location) is watching me. In 5 weeks, I will have kept 84+ lbs off for six months. That's an accomplishment for me and one I want to continue. Somehow I've got to convince myself that this--charting and exercising-- is a forever lifestyle and get over resenting it!
Sure would appreciate some advice, all!
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #68  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, southcentral Alaska is having exactly the same weather goal! We live near a large river, with lots of sand bars/banks (well, actually it's glacial soil, not sand) and the air is full of the stuff. Nasty.

I feel good having had 5 days completely on plan, and shopped for groceries with keeping on in this vein. We're having company for dinner tomorrow, and I'm making Barbara's tamale pie. Of course I'm also making a lemon poppyseed cake but I will have only a tiny piece, and what DH and company don't eat will go to work on Monday.

Tonight we're off to a concert, so I need to go fix a quick dinner - leftovers!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:26 AM   #69  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

OK, here's something that doesn't ever happen at the gym. In the middle of my swim this morning, I could swear that I smelled BBQ. It was the strangest thing. When I finished my set, I looked around and wouldn't you know it, they were having some sort of pancake breakfast next door to the pool. So I wasn't out of my mind; I really was smelling BBQ (I guess it was the breakfast sausages) . I never eat before I exercise in the AM, so it was a little distracting . But even with the smell of sausages wafting gently over the pool, it was a beautiful morning for a swim. And they did have a band, so I got to finish my swim to bluegrass.

WaterRat: I hope the tamale pie is a hit!

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 05-04-2008 at 03:45 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:44 AM   #70  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Goal: Hmmm, I'm trying to think about why I don't feel deprived all the time and having trouble putting my finger on it. I think partly it's that I've just been doing this so long (counting the year of losing weight, I've been at it for three years), that I've just gotten used to it. It's sort of like when I quit smoking; the first two weeks were killer. Then it got a little easier but I still missed smoking for a long time--that phase must have lasted a year or so. Now, with close to fifteen years as an ex-smoker, I rarely even think about it. It's the same way with my diet; I don't really think that much about the foods I used to eat.

Also, I do sometimes allow myself to eat food that doesn't fit in my calorie plan. I go out to dinner with friends at least once a month, I have business functions where I'm off plan, sometimes I have treats (the occasional high calorie doesn't mean I gain all the weight back), and then there are vacations and business trips. And I really enjoy the food that I do eat. I look forward to every meal and snack and really try to make sure that I'm only eating foods that I enjoy. In fact, I think food tastes better to me now than it did when I just ate without thinking about it. When I look back over the foods I ate today, I really liked everything that I ate. Yet I came in well under my allotted calories for the day.

Exercise is also key, because it suppresses my appetite. Exercising every day really helps me stay on plan with my eating.

Finally, for me, the way I feel about myself is enough of a reward in and of itself. It makes up for anything I've given up. It helps sometimes to remind myself that I don't have to do this. I don't have to be thin; there's no law. I can quit any time I want. But when it comes right down to it, I don't want to quit. I don't ever want to weigh what I used to weigh or be that out of shape again. And I don't want it bad enough to be okay with weighing, measuring, counting, logging, and exercising for the rest for my life if that's what it takes (well, actually not the rest of my life--just until I'm 80, then all bets are off).

Oh, and, congratulations on losing 84 lbs and maintaining for six months! That's a great accomplishment!

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 05-04-2008 at 03:46 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #71  

Hi maintainers,

Wow, all of you are sticking well to the plans...I am on my 2nd weeks of "no plan". I was so tired and getting depressed that I took 2 weeks off everything, and went on to do some home improvements projects. Last week I have been busy with projects, and i will continue this week. Unfortunately the first week was not all that fun with the row I had with DS, but he is gone for the week with XH, and we'll see how things are when he returns.

In the meantime it is sunny weather for a change, my house is getting to be less of a mess and DD and I are njoying a bit of peace and quiet, and i am still doing chores around the house.

I am getting relaxed at last.

Have a great weekend all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #72  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I'm happy to say that I made it back to the gym today. After only 10 min's on the treadmill, I started coughing badly. I rested and then did my leg workout and swam for 30 min's. Not a full blown workout, but better than I've done in quite some time. I hope to be able to go again tomorrow.

Still not a single puff, so that is going well. That's not saying I haven't wanted one, just that I haven't had one.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

All things considered, it sounds like you had a great workout!

Way to go! Keep up the good work and stay strong!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote