Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Wow! That is some story Allison!
Do you still have the jeep or the Nascar car?
I'm glad my dh hasn't gone through a mid life crisis (yet)-- he is 46 so I guess it still could be coming.....

I have a question for those of you who exercise daily.
I have only been exercising daily for approx 6 weeks but I am planning it into each day and starting to crave it. I get anxious if I don't think I can fit it in. I am an all or nothing kind of gal...... I worry that if I don't exercise for one day, it will turn into two, etc......

So.....I don't see how I can fit it in this Friday. I have to work (I could never get it together to exercise before work with kids, dogs, dh out of town) and then we have a school event after. I will get done around 7:30 or 8:00 pm. I then have to pick dh up from the train station from his trip. I *might* be able to fit it in between our school event and picking up dh, but I'm wondering if I'm being too anal. Would it really kill me to miss a day? Dh thinks I'm getting obsessed about the exercise. I have my weigh in on Saturday morning but since I'm basically maintaining, it shouldn't matter too much, should it? What would you do?
Thanks!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #47  
Meg

Michele, it would probably be beneficial for you to take a rest day. Most experts recommend a rest day every week. It sounds like you're going to have an awfully busy day anyway, so I say take it off from exercise and you'll be rested and refreshed for Saturday's workout.

Allison, your story is hysterical! I was laughing out loud when I read it. My DH's midlife crisis is autocrossing ... DS does it too, and they own six cars between the two of them. I feel your pain, I really do. But it's better than running off with a 21-year old blonde aerobics instructor as a midlife crisis, I always remind myself (we know someone who did exactly that! )
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #48  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Michele, it definitely won't kill you to miss a day. I exercise every day as well, but if I have a day where I just can't fit it in (or I am too sick or injured to exercise), I take that day off. I do hate to miss a day, so if I can fit in exercise before work and that's the only time I can fit it in, I will be at the gym when the doors open at 5:00 AM, but sometimes even getting to the gym at 5:00 AM isn't early enough. I also sometimes will do an abbreviated workout on days where I am really busy--say just a half an hour of cardio.

Wow, alinnell, that's quite an adventure! I would think that dropping 3 or 4 feet in a jeep would be painful, in addition to scary! Hmmm, does adrenaline burn calories?

Good new for all you coffee drinkers! Apparently drinking coffee (I think it has to be caffeinated) boosts your metabolism. It's also supposed to improve your workouts. I saw in on a news show at my gym, while I was warming up prior to my training session. They had a bunch of tips on boosting your metabolism and drinking caffeinated coffee was one. Too bad I drink decaf.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:24 AM   #49  

Hi maintainers,

Thanks for the kind words everyone! DS is still away, staying with his friend, and I am still pretty shaken by the row. I'm pretty teary eyed.

However, I spoke with soemfriends & with my sister...the verdict is that a0 this is normal puberty behaviour and b) since th friend grew up with his parents explaining their every decision, probabely DS has gotten it from him that if they think I am unreasonable, I am somehow bound to do their bidding.

Unfortunately for them, I do not think I have to go along with that, and I think he will see a bit less of friend in the coming time, and less computer time untill I see serious improvements behaviour and school grades.

Furthermore I am not feeling well due to the home improvements stuff. everytime I throw something out it reminds me of the past and I cannot handle that right now. I have to go on, but I sure hate the time it takes to get over this divorce/depression/burn-out.

Reading all your stories has made me feel better.

Lily - I hope the dr appointment went well, and that Shane will contact you soon.

Alinnell - that sure sounds scary!

Michelle - I would take the rest day from exercise. You sound pretty busy and you would not want to risk overtraining and injury or loosing some of that enthousiasm.

Meg - I second that about the 2nd youth. XH has quit his job, bought a seaworthy catamaran, ans is up for the life of adventure now he has solved his problem of a wife that did not want to go and 2 kids still in school. needless to say that my DS has been difficult since he heard this. My reaction to hearing this was that I was glad XH was doing this, because it conclusively proved IMO that he was the one pulling out, but DS might have felt that this was cool instead of irresponsible and lleaving his kids again.

I'm up for another coffee and some more home improvement.

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #50  
Meg

Happy first day of May! Does this mean no more snow?

Rabbit! You're such a good mom! I'm so sorry you have to be mucking around in the past and digging up bad memories. Have another cup of coffee and stay strong!

Barbara, you made my day with your coffee news! I'm toasting you right now.

Jessica, could you be retaining water? If all your clothes are fitting, it doesn't sound like seven pounds of fat. Or maybe it really is your scale? Hey, at least your clothes fit and that's a good thing.

I unexpectedly had an ingrown toenail removed yesterday so am soaking my foot instead of going to the gym as usual. I thought I'd show up at the doctor's and he'd say: oh it's blah blah and we need to do blah blah and then I'd go schedule it. Nope, he got this blood-crazed look in his eyes and grabbed his rusty pliers and went at it (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit ) So it's slowing down my "no excuses" week -- or perhaps this is a good lesson in avoiding excuses? I'm going to rewrap my toe when I'm done soaking, work out at home, and stay 100% on track.

DS finished the semester last night and is moving into his own apartment tomorrow. He's been living at home since his car accident two years ago, but it's time for the baby bird to leave the nest. Fortunately, the apartment is en route to my gym and only ten minutes away, so it won't be hard to provide backup. I asked DH what he wants to do when we're on our own again ...

Bean soup on the menu for today!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #51  
Chuggin' along...

Happy May 1 everyone!

Ok, it's official, I made it an entire month without alcohol or sweets! Thank goodness I made it the first time, because if I had messed up and had to do it again just to prove I could do it, well, that would stink (having to go even longer without chocolate). Honestly, sitting here at work the brownies by the coffeemaker, the cake in the fridge down the hall, and peanut M&M's on my co-workers desk still aren't that tempting. I'm still going to go by the "only when it's really special, and fits into your caloric plan" kinda rule. I will probably have a glass of good wine in the next night or two, though.

That means I lost 6 lbs. in April - wow! that's a lot for me! - definitely lost most of the "flub" around my middle, and the pants-o-meter is very happy with me. I'm going to go through my pants this weekend and see how close I am to my skinny pants. I'm almost down to the red line, just need to stay on track. I think "Plan NANS" served its intended purpose.

Meg, those doctors love to cut on you any chance they get! Lol. I'm sending you wishes for a speedy recovery.

Rabbit, you ARE DEFINITELY a GREAT mom. I hope that someday when your son is older he might at least have a bit more clarity on situation, but, I think you're doing a great job and just need to stick to your guns like you're doing.

Michele, like Meg said, I've often heard it's beneficial to rest a day a week from exercise. I try to incorporate 1-2 rest days into my workout routine each week. I know it can be hard, but I'm trying to treat my body right. It sounds like you'll burn a few calories anyway, running around all day.

Allison, your story is hilarious!

Lily, I hope Lacy's dr's visit goes well.

Pooh, I have to go scrub down the boat... have a great day all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #52  
No description available.

Megan, congrats on meeting your April goals!!!

Meg, I laughed and cringed at the thought of the blood-crazed doc and rusty pliers. Eeeeks!!

Where are our pregnant ladies?

Have a good one!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Rabbit,
I don't know how old your ds is, but I am right there with you with my two teenage daughters (17 and 13). The computer time and usage is a sticky subject, with me thinking they use it too much of course. You need to do what you feel is right and stick with it. I hear almost daily how much more strict we are than all of their friends and how unfair it is, and I don't care. I know we are doing the right thing and hopefully they will thank us someday!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #54  
Meg

That Midwife ... always on the lookout for moms-to-be! I'll bet you have a built-in pregnant woman detector.

Megan, huge congratulations on a successful month! You're an inspiration to all the rest of us! And it sounds like it paid off in a big way -- the skinny pants are probably just a teensie bit snug now. Another month and you'll be there. Much to my surprise, I think I'm like you now and would choose a glass of wine over a dessert as a treat. Who would have thunk it?

I'm back from the my annual gyn appointment with two interesting factoids. First, my blood pressure is now down to 92/64. My doctor asked what I had been doing for exercise, and when I told her about HIIT, she's says that's what did it. Those high-intensity intervals are great for cardio health! Second, I measured 5'3", not my usual 5'4". I asked her why I'm getting shorter (I don't have osteopenia or osteoporosis) and she said we lose 2.5" inches in height as we age, and it has nothing to do with bone density. Hmm, interesting! Of course this means that technically I should weigh less, so bummer. But I'm wondering if I may get taller after my knees are replaced? (my one leg is bowed from arthritis) And then I could weigh more?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Meg - Yeeeoouch on the toe! I had an ingrown toenail removed once - sadist took a whole strip of nail off the big toe...it was excruciating, but the good news is never had a recurrent ingrown since.

Megan - Congratulations on the 6lbs and sugar/alcohol free month. I am impressed. I'm not sure I could go that long without either one.

I was all gung ho for the 'no excuses' week - but I seem to always come up with some excuse.
It has been not a bad week - I have been on my elliptical everyday since I brought it in the house. Unfortunately yesterday - my recuperating leg said I was over doing it - so I may have to pare back a tad.

Happy May 1st everybody - spring is bound to show up soon.

Susan
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Meg, ouch! Ah, the last one leaving the nest. Speaking from experience, it's definitely all good. So I had the same height issue at my drs. visit about a month ago. And I had the same thought about weighing less. My dr. laughed, but, hey, I was serious--and really grumpy after that visit.

Megan, congratulations on meeting your NANS goal!

Susan, your description made me cringe more than Meg's--owee, owee, owee!

So I got back from the 16 day road trip with my sister only to have to pack up my whole kitchen in one day (my DH is out of town) in preparation for remodeling. Two months without a kitchen. Has anyone gone through this? Any tips? I put the microwave, George Foreman grill and refrigerator in my dining room, and turned my bookshelves into a pantry, and my hall bathroom into the dish washing station. So far, so good, but it's only me and I can survive on cottage cheese, baby carrots and fruit.

I weighed this morning, expecting the worst, and discovered I am under 160 for the first time since the holidays. So I lost about four or five pounds on my RV trip. First time ever that I've lost on vacation. Now I've got to keep the downward trend going.

Happy May 1st! All my flowers are blooming, and if you look past two weeks worth of weeds, my yard looks lovely.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #57  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Megan - Awesome job with the NANS! I am totally impressed! If I wasn't going on a trip to Philly this weekend I would almost try to do the same thing for May. On the other hand, knowing myself, I don't think I could go a whole month without sweets. Alcohol would be no problem. I think when I get back it may be time for a no excuses week of my own. Maybe even two weeks!

Meg - Congrats on the BP! Yeah, I am thinking either it's the scale or my body composition has changed somehow, or maybe I am just forgetting how roomy my clothes used to be! I never have more than 3-4 lbs of water weight, and right now I'm 137 when the water weight is gone, and 139 or so when I'm retaining water. I was looking back over my logs and my weight looks pretty ridiculous. I was 133 (on the current scale) when we got married at the beginning of October. I was 136 at the end of October, after our honeymoon (no surprise there). I spent November trying to lose and ended up at 138 (beginning of my suspicion of the thyroid problem). I was 139 by mid-December and 143 at the beginning of January (after holidays at my parents' house and two weeks of thyroid treatment). I came down to 140 at the end of January, 139 at the end of February, 137/138 at the end of March, and I haven't lost since then. I did have my Synthroid dosage adjusted down so maybe it was easier to lose in Jan/Feb because the dosage was too high.

Starting next week, my "no sweets on weekdays" rule needs to be more strongly enforced. I might need to expand it from just sweets to things like popcorn and chocolate-flavored yogurt too (it's yogurt, it's healthy! but it's still sweet).

Allison - Driving off a cliff! Geez.

Lily - I hope the doctor's appointment for Lacy went okay!

Rabbit - I am guessing it is just the usual teenage stage where anything mom or dad does has to be something terrible. Another thing to look out for if he's using the computer many hours a day is repetitive stress injuries! (I didn't have my computer time limited when I was a teenager, and that plus violin and piano landed me in occupational therapy when I was 16.)

Speaking of occupational therapy, mine is going really well! He's started treating my elbows (as of today) and I already feel better. The only bad news is that he thinks the pain I sometimes have in my thumb is arthritis. I'm too young to have arthritis! It's also possible that I have a cyst in my elbow. There's always something, right?

Last edited by paperclippy; 05-01-2008 at 11:46 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

You mean this jeep?
Yes, we still have it. DH drives it to work on the weekends, DD wants to learn how to drive it (I think it is important to know how to drive a manual transmission) and it will probably be DS's car when he gets his license in 3 years. Meanwhile, we do still tow it behind the motor home--it is handy in that sense.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Just a quick note to say Hi and I'm thinking about you guys and I'll eventually catch up and read all your posts!!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #60  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

After hearing your descriptions, Meg and Susan, I really really hope I never have an ingrown toenail!

Since I started this whole diet and exercise thing, I've actually grown an inch! I know, it's hard to believe, but I've looked back at the reports from my annual physicals for the past three years and I'm now one inch taller! And, my first thought on seeing this was that now I can weigh more! The only explanation I can think of is that all the core exercises I've been doing have improved my posture and I'm standing up straighter now.

Megan: Congrats on the six lbs! That's awesome; I'd definitely be thrilled if I managed to lose six lbs in a month. It's making me think that maybe I should try giving up sweets (except, wait, I'm not supposed to losing weight anymore, I'm supposed to be maintaining). BTW--that stuffed pepper recipe sounds awesome; I think I might try it next week.

Sheila53: I've never been without my kitchen so I don't have any tips for you, but I can commiserate. My kitchen desperately needs a remodel and the fact that I'd have to live without it for an extended period is definitely something that is preventing me from taking it on. Maybe if we bought a gas grill and did it over the summer...

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 05-01-2008 at 12:55 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote