Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #1  
Meg

Thumbs up Maintainers Chat: January 21 - 27

Brr! It's 7 degrees here, but the gym opens at 5:30 am and I plan to be there (hopefully it will open on time and I won't have to shiver outside!) My cold and cough finally seem to be better and I slept well for the first time in a long time last night. So I'm feeling great and ready to hit it hard!!

It's MLK Day and DH is blissfully sleeping in ... anyone else off today?

Check in and tell us how things are going in Maintenanceland!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Question Knock Knock, May I come In?

Good morning,

Over the past couple of years I lost my mid-life weight gains and am now looking forward to learning how to maintain the loss for the duration. You guys have some rather admirable records of developing healthy lifestyles, losing weight, and then maintaining both. I'd like to tag along and see what I can learn.

Five months ago I found 3FC and have been mostly hanging out on the Beck Diet Solution thread, but find wisdom spread out everywhere around here.

Bill

Old 01-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!
We're back from vacationing and had a wonderful time.
My poor DH brought a nasty cold back with him and is out in the cold trying to get his work van to start.
I still have another week off. But that's OK cuz I have some jelly belly work to do!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Hi Meg and Bill!

It's only 9 degrees here, so I definitely won't be taking a walk today. I haven't had one since last Wednesday, though I did my prenatal yoga DVDs twice since then. I'm definitely gaining weight. I know I'm supposed to, but it's so weird to gain after a year and a half of consistent losing. I really do need to start counting my calories and making sure I don't go crazy every day. My husband and I have been into making smoothies lately, since we got a new blender for Christmas, and they're good for us and yummy. I just haven't been getting enough veggies lately. I'm having a slight aversion to them but I'm trying to ignore that and eat them anyway. Why couldn't I have an aversion to pizza instead?
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Stay warm Meg.

Good to see you around Bill!

What to say? The preggo express rolls on, each day with new and exciting features. Sciatica is the latest. 147 more days. Not that I'm counting.

The last couple of days have been at least reasonable eating. And yesterday I walked. We drove back from the grocery store along one of my running routes, just for a change, and I couldn't take it and had to get out. I brought DD along in the stroller for some extra resistance.

Back to work today. It feels more and more like an imposition these days. If only I was independently wealthy.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Welcome, Bill!!

Meg, it's freezing here too. We're in the 20's today but we had a low of 0F last night not counting wind chill. Brr! No MLK vacations here, DH and I are both at work this morning.

Anne - I wish I was independently wealthy too. DH and I talk about it all the time. If we had a huge amount of money, he would become a farmer (of organic veggies) and I would work at a doggie day care. However, we don't have the luxury of being able to do what we want without worrying about money, so we are both software developers. It pays well, and is sometimes fun, and at least I don't feel like I'm wasting my bachelor's and master's degrees, but there are so many things I would rather be doing!

Speaking of pregnancy, DH and I went to see the movie Juno this weekend. It was really good! But of course after watching it I had all sorts of bizarre dreams in which either I was pregnant or I was adopting a baby. Weird!

My scale is up to 141 again this morning. I think it is because of TOM though so I am crossing my fingers I'll be back at 139 by Friday for my official weigh-in. I think my body temperature is all screwed up. When I got in to work this morning, I was fine, and I didn't even need to wear a sweater. I was totally comfortable. Now, I am wearing a sweater and I'm still freezing. What happened? I drank some tea to warm up, but the only other thing I drank was room-temperature water. Ugh.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Made goal one month ago today and still maintaining .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning It's funny to be in one of the warmer places this morning! It was 32 when I got up, and should be in the 40's most of the day. We got to nearly 50 yesterday, but had very high winds so it didn't feel that warm. It got rid of most of our snow though....

I'm at work today too, although our schools and many private businesses are closed (I work for the city). Maybe it'll be quiet and I can get some stuff done without constant phone calls. Oh wait, I have a 2 hour meeting this morning, groan.....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning!

Welcome back Susan--we've missed you. Hope your vacation was nice.

Anne~I think we all wish we were independently wealthy. I do at least.

bargoo~1 month and counting! Way to go!!!

Jessica~we were going to go see Juno but football and DD's cold got in the way. She also had too much homework which is actually odd. I had a weird pregnancy dream this weekend...we were on vacation and I walked into a store and they were selling babies. They were all bundled in blankets and sucking on red pacifiers. And if you bought the baby, you got a free laundry basket (they were each sleeping in one). I thought it would be a good alternative to pregnancy. Very weird. I'm done with having kids myself!!!

The weather here is weird. Usually it's high 40's when I get up and it was 54 today. But windier than the dickens! And it's been warming up to the mids 60's, but not today. I doubt we'll see 60 itself and the wind continues.

Along the lines of my weird tree-napping, this morning while driving to work someone has set up some sort of weird shrine on a street near mine (a street where no one lives). There is a 2 foot tall ceramic donkey pulling a small wooden cart and a smaller donkey in front of it carrying a load of flowers on it's back. It's not in a location where there could have been an accident so it's not like the wooden cross shrines that pop up after an accident, so I can't imagine what it's all about.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey all

Well, the one-two punch of holidays at my mom's house in Texas (complete with fabulous New Year's Eve 4 course dinner with wines + a trip to Cooper's BBQ in Llano TX) and a week-long work trip to Las Vegas (dinner out every night, plus the decadence of the Paris Hotel Buffet) and I am up 4 lbs to a personal post-maintenance high of 132. Ugh.

It's been over a year since I actually worked at losing weight, not looking forward to this! But I have a plan and I know it can be done

On a plus, all my beautiful suits fitted perfectly for the conference, I love being thin enough to look GREAT in clothes!!! Motivation to get it back off before the NEXT trip to Vegas at the end of February.

Last edited by Glory87; 01-21-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hello, maintainers--

Welcome, Bill! 3FC and the maintainers forum is definitely a great place to be.

Meg, glad you're over your cold and cough. I came down with a yucky cold last week and spent a week away from the gym. Do you find it a little tough to get back into the swing of things if you've been away for a while?

Susan, glad you had a good time. I've been MIA a bit so I don't know where you went?? What is "jelly belly" work? I'm betting it doesn't involve those little candies, though.

Lisa, brrr! I love smoothies, even in cold weather. Do you put protein powder in yours? That makes them more filling, IMHO. I'm betting eating what you were eating to lose weight, but just a bit more would work. Not sure if I mentioned my gym teacher who gained not much over 10 lbs. and had a healthy 9 lb. baby? She was pretty darn active while she was pregnant, too. Not sure if that's feasible for most people, or even desirable. Still, I wish I had followed her example when I was pregnant, but I went the "eating for two" route.

Anne, what exactly is sciatica? I know there's a sciatic nerve somewhere, but I've never been sure where or what sciatica was. Just the name sounds painful, however. Hope it gets better soon.

Jessica, I've heard Juno is an awesome movie. A couple of friends of mine and I are going to see it next week--hoping it will still be in town because next week is the first chance we have to see it.

Bargoo, great job!

Allison, weird dream! Babies and laundry baskets do make sense, however, from what I remember. We got my SD a dream interpretation book for Christmas--I'll have to ask her what that particularly dream might mean. About the shrine, I wonder if you could google that and see if anything comes up. My first thought was some kind of Mexican shrine.

Pat, Alaska as the warmest place is always amusing. We're supposed to get down to 17 tonight. Lots of info about wrapping pipes, etc. When you've lived in a place where it got down to -23 (Colorado) without windchill and was routinely in the teens during the winter, somehow a few days of 17 at night really doesn't seem that cold. I'm surprised you're at work. All the government entities, banks, and even some larger employers are closed today where I live.

Weighed myself on Saturday and got scared straight, so to speak. Back down a couple of pounds this morning, thank goodness. Finally back into my workout and eating routine so I think I'll be able to get back to my ticker weight in a short time. I think I've noticed a correlation between bad eating and getting colds. Anyone else?

Have a good Monday!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Thanks gals. We did have a good time. But sedentary! I have lots of soft flab around the middle. Like a jelly belly. I have to work on that
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

The girls were out of school today, so we spent the day at my friends' beauty salon having our hair hi-lighted , cut and styled. My sister met us there and had her hair done too. I'm kinda wishing I had had more length cut off of mine but I like it pretty well.

I baked my first ever home-made apple pie last night. I tasted just a bite of it myself and it was very good. For some reason this cold weather makes me want to bake stuff.

It's in the 20's here with freezing rain and sleet mix for tonite. I had planned on going to the gym tonite, but there are so many wrecks right now on the interstate that the police are already advising people to stay off the roads. I will walk on my treadmill if possible. I feel like I've pulled a muscle in my right inner thigh. It's very sore.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

It's freezing here too. Currently 17 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! It snowed all day yesterday too, so there are a few inches of snow on the ground and everything is becoming crunchy.

Nothing much to report over here.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Too funny - it's still in the mid-30's here, after being over forty and sunny at midday! I think we're in some sort of crazy weather inversion....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote