Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Good morning!

I'm about to rant. I know it's probably random for me to rant in this forum, but ya'll are as good of listeners as anyone, really

I've just been feeling a wave of depression lately... I'm uninspired. I'm not content with where I am in life right now, yet I currently lack the motivation to change it. I'm interviewing for jobs with the city in hopes to find something that pays better, but I have a feeling that once I actually get hired, I'm still going to be depressed because it's so far from what I want to do with my life.

I once thought that once I lost weight, all my problems would be over: if I was thin, I'd go to casting calls again. If I was thin, I'd no longer experience social anxiety and therefore would get out and meet people again. If I was thin, I'd be able to stop thinking about weight and focus on my goals and aspirations... yet here I am, at my goal weight, and still unhappy with myself. I don't want to go to casting calls until my body is *perfect*. I don't want to advertise as a personal trainer until my body is *perfect*. I have had a little success meeting people, but I've also discovered (yet again) that most people here are not worth my time I wish I could regain the passion I once had in making my dreams a reality.

I hope I didn't annoy anyone with my ranting, now...

Jay - OK, MOM! you might be happy to know that I bought a helmet this weekend... it has skulls and crossbones on it and looks about as cool as a helmet ever could like Anne said, helmets are bad for the hair, so I refused to wear one for awhile.

Carolyn - glad you had fun at Spamalot! And Lily is right, your DH does sound perfect... lucky you, right? Also, I had no idea that he actually broke his collarbones in a bike accident due to flying over his handlebars Geesh, bikes are dangerous!!

Meg and Kery, I was a sucker at my highest weight and actually READ the blood type diet book! I was quite gullible back then and harbored pretty much every diet myth: fruits and vegetables don't have calories, that bizarre one -week crash diet WAS actually created by the Mayo Clinic, if I work out right after I eat, then I'll have burned off all my food calories, if I eat after 8 PM, I'll get fat, licking a spoon after making baked goods doesn't "count" as caloric consumption, if it says "organic" or "all natural" then it's automatically healthy because calories are only included in processing, et cetera, et cetera! Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who are like I was... and that's how whack jobs like Michael Pollan can continue to sell so many books.

BUT, like Jay said, he DOES make some interesting points that hold an element of truth, if you can deal with his tone and remember that some of it is BS.

Robin, have lots of fun in Florida! What part are you visiting?

Megan, I can totally relate to the bit about the S/O not wanting to talk about dieting. My GF HATES when I talk too much about food and healthy eating, though she lets me say around two or three sentences before shutting me up because she knows it makes me happy. I take it your BF has never had a weight problem, either. Oh, those lucky thin people... they'll never understand...
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

Wow this seems to be a crazy Monday thread! I'm not sure how to jump in this one!

I finally lost 1 lb! It took 2 weeks, running 50 miles, and of course eating OP! It is so much harder now that I am so close to goal!

I am only 6 lbs away, but I look at my tummy and thighs and think.... I don't think 6 lbs is going to do it! I think i MAY secretly (besides you guys knowing) want to go to around 125 - 127lbs. But I will still celebrate my original goal.

I think it would help if I did more WT. I *try* to do 3 days a week. But if I am at all tired or short on time it is the first thing to go! I run (faithfully) 25 miles a week only skip if I am dying, but I can't seem to do that with WT. I really want the benifits of WT, but I seem to lack the motivation to do it!! Maybe some of you can give me some advice on that.

As for the weekend, I think I could have eaten the walls I was so munchie!!! It is all hormon and I know it, but it was still hard this weekend. THe only thing I did about it was eat an apple over my calorie allotment! My Dad brought a bunch of apples over. I ate a New to me apple that is a cross between a Johnathan and a yellow delish and boy was it AMAZING!! I could have binged on those all weekend!! I have had 2 everyday now!! Luckily the hormons are starting to cut me a break today.

Have a good time in florida Robin!

Meg I hope your cold goes away soon!

Lisa I hope you get some relief from your fatigue. It will come and soon you will be "glowing!"

Anne I always felt like I was taken over by aliens too when I was PG!

Have a good week everyone! Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Good morning everyone! What a chatty morning!

Meg, I got walloped with a cold yesterday. It hit me full strength--no early sniffles or sore throat to warn me it was coming. I rarely get sick and I don't like it when I do. Worse, today is the first day of classes and I have to be dynamic and interesting so that my students don't drop my classes in favor of someone without a stuffed up face. Blech!

My mum, who is not and has never been overweight is completely persuaded by that blood type diet. She's always drawn to homeopathy and quackery of various kinds. I've been thinking about getting her "Omnivore's Dilemma" or "Animal Vegetable Miracle" for her birthday. I like Michael Pollan. I found those chapters on the 'grass farm' in "Omnivore's Dilemma" really fascinating.

Lots to do this morning so I'm gonna run.

baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #19  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Shane - I sure hope this wave of defeating thoughts will go away soon. Being in doubts regarding one's future isn't funny.

Incidentally, I think I must still have a copy of that "Mayo diet" a friend had given me when I was 13 or so. I had a look at it, then I kept it for laughing purposes. Living on coffee, grapefruit and eggs (if it's the same one, but it seems like it is) for one week or two didn't seem to be worth it.

In a way, I should probably thank 3FC with all my heart. When I started to seriously worry about my weight in 2005, I almost immediately found this website and the forum, and I'm pretty sure that what I read on it actually prevented me from getting wrong ideas about nutrition in passing. SO, thank you 3FC!
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #20  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Wow, this thread is moving fast this morning. I slept in til almost 10AM, then took my doggies for their walk. I'm having my coffee now.

I didn't get to the gym yesterday cause we spent all afternoon in the Medical Clinic having Shelbey seen for the Poison Ivy that is on her face. It was getting too close to being in her eye. She is now on a Medrol Dose Pack and has to be rechecked tomorrow.

Everyone had me laughing this morning regarding the Omnivore stuff. I personally have stolen the line that I saw down under the Exercise thread that I browsed. "If it can't be shot or grown don't eat it". (except where does fish fit in?) To me this makes sense , lots of meats, veggies and fruits. This plus the 7C's Diet Killers,
1. Cola
2. Candy
3. Cake
4. Cookies
5. Crackers
6. ice Cream
7. Cereal

I posted this on my fridge just as a reminder.

Meg, your dinner last night sounds yummy. I broiled some small steaks, ate a 1/2 of a baked yam, and had my green beans cooked with garlic and olive oil. It was yummy.

I have managed to stay pretty dang close to right on target with my eating. In case noone saw yesterdays thread, I'm down 4 lbs. since Jan 1st. It sure feels great to be back on plan and to be taking off my extra lbs. (of course never having gained those lbs. would have felt even better). My exercise has definitely been Way UP too. I worked out 9 of the last 12 days! I am alternating my workouts and doing a lot of swimming too and a lot of walking my dogs.

robin, our weather forecasters here are wrong all the time too. We weren't forecasted snow , but you couldn't tell that by my living room. Lucy had chewed up Lacy's comforter this morning and there was white stuff everywhere!

My son had his visit with his bio dad this weekend. Gary is a sick , twisted man even if he is a Dr. He gave Shane a t-shirt that says "I like cats, I just can't eat a whole one by myself". Now who would purchase something like that? Shanes other gifts from his dad was a thingy you put on your windshield to keep ice off of it, some Russian WWII brass Army buttons, some peppermint smelling caffeine bath soap,a war board game, a 5# Hershey's Bar, and a puzzle box that you have to figure out how to open to get the money out of with $500.00 in it. Shane had it open in 10 min's and me and the girls never did figure out how to open it. All in all, I think his dad has more money than he has sense! BTW, Shane doesn't eat candy, so I'm sure Lacy and Shelbey will take care of the Hershy bar!

Shane, sorry you are feeling down. Yeah, I also thought everything would be perfect once I was thin. But, alas life isn't perfect . Hugs!

Last edited by lilybelle; 01-14-2008 at 12:01 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone!!

Lily~Yes, it is easier for spayed (and neutered) dogs (and cats) to gain weight. I'm assuming it is due to lack of hormones that regulate the beasts. I mean, really, instant menopause (do animals get menopause??). This is how we have dealt with it for years: At each meal (I feed twice a day) each dog gets a serving of dry food (I feed Canidae--about 1.25 cups per meal) and at each meal each dog gets a carrot. The carrot fills them up without many calories at all. My older dog once weighed in at 103 and the vet told me to add vegetables (no broccoli--it can cause gas). Carrots are the easiest and cheapest--I can get 10 pounds for very little at Costco. Anyway, I have 2 very large dogs that are both around 70 pounds and lean. Good luck!

Funny about the ferns and dinosaurs everyone!!

Can we talk quack? My MIL always listens to what "works" for the people she meets (and she meets a lot as she works at the check-in desk at an RV resort here). Her latest is she is going to some cranberry juice (and other stuff) detox twice a month.....I listen with half an ear most of the time.

I've been on plan for almost a week. I've lost 3 pounds since the 1st of January which is basically where I need to be for the 1.5 pound a week loss I need to reach goal by my birthday. I have a great plan for the week and hope to see 145 in about 7-8 days.

Shane~weight loss does not bring an end to any problems other than obesity (and maybe some health issues related to obesity). Sorry, it's not a cure-all, but I'm sure you realize that. You just need to devise a plan to make yourself happy. My mantra: "whatever makes you happy"
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #22  
lilybelle

Allison, thanks for the doggie info. I will try the carrots. Lucy weighs 65 lbs. and is a yr. old and looks perfect and has tons of energy. Molly is up to 110 lbs. now and she is lazy and looks really fat. DH even said "we need to put her on a diet". Funny though, my vet. didn't mention that he thought she was overweight!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #23  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning from the frozen north. It was -12F this morning (up from -18F yesterday ) I've procrastinated since getting my new car last spring, and it has no plug-in engine heater, so I was a bit concerned about it starting this morning. I didn't use it all weekend, but it started albeit a little reluctantly. I let it warm up for about 20 minutes, too.

Thanks for all the early morning chuckles about the fern diet! I never have read all those gimmicky diets, though we buy them for the library. I did like Omnivore's Dilemma, and we've just gotten the new one it, so I put my name on it.

Jelly - 3 days of WT a week is about right, providing you're hitting all the muscle groups in those 3 days (not necessarily all in the same day). You want to let them rest about 48 hours in between. And WT is soooo good for you!

I actually had a good weekend for eating. Sat when we went to Anchorage for the day we took sandwiches and an apple with us; and drank water! Dinner was homemade chile with brown rice. Yesterday was about the same. I cooked salmon and red cabbage for dinner, with a few leftover potatoes. This morning I had nice hot oatmeal - my favorite. For lunch, a bean burrito (constructed by me, not Taco Bell ), and dinner will be leftover chile. Lots of warm comfort food without tons of calories.

Well, I'd better get to work. I have a meeting at 10 (it's 8:30) that'll go til lunch, then another from 4-6, and then straight to the gym. I hope the rest of the week is better....

Oh, and here's a couple photos of our yard yesterday - gorgeous if don't mind that it's nearly -20F

WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #24  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
I personally have stolen the line that I saw down under the Exercise thread that I browsed. "If it can't be shot or grown don't eat it". (except where does fish fit in?)
Lily, you can shoot fish, redneck style! lol. Actually you can (really) with a spear gun. But I think that quote should be changed to something like "if it can't be shot, hooked, or grown" or something like that.

Shane, I'm sorry you are feeling down. Losing weight certainly doesn't solve all of one's problems. I think you need to work on some self-love talk here. I doubt even if you do achieve your 6-pack you'll feel like you have the "perfect" body... there'll always be something else to improve on. You need to accept you for you! Are you using not having the "perfect" body as a valid reason or an excuse, a fear of failure? Go on a casting call or two anyway, to get some feedback. And it's definitely quality, not quantity you want with friends. Don't let your fears paralyze you! You are beautiful, smart, and funny. Don't be afraid to pursue what you want in life!

No, BF has never had a weight problem. He has a lil' beer belly that disappears if he drinks less beer, a fairly average food diet in whatever quantities of food he wants, and that's it. The unfairness of it all! But life isn't fair.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lily~glad to be of help. My dogs love most all vegetables--the heel of a head of lettuce is a big favorite (and a part we humans don't eat) so that's good.

I forgot to add earlier: We went to a couple movies this weekend. DD, DH and I saw PS I Love You on Saturday. Wow, what a tear jerker! Good, cute, but boy did we cry!!! Sunday was Sweeney Todd (which my FIL called a "feel good" movie LOL!). Most of us liked it except the kids. DD thought it was boring except for the singing and DS thought the singing was dumb (well, he's only 13!). I enjoyed it a lot but there was an awful lot more killing than I thought there would be!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #26  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! This thread sure is moving this week, so my apologies for not responding directly to everyone . . .

LOL about the dinosaurs and ferns! I love you guys. Congrats to those of you with losses, and I hope the pregnant ladies are doing well!

Shane - I agree with Megan... Go ahead and go to a couple casting calls. Do you think the lack of self-confidence is because of having been overweight, or is it because of something else which caused you to become overweight in the first place and still hasn't been resolved?

Pat - Someday I want to go to Alaska, but definitely not in the winter!

Well, my stretch of no sweets was ended this weekend, but in a controlled manner. I went ten whole days without any sweets, and this weekend I had the opportunity to eat a small portion of a dessert so I took it, since I was starting to get cravings. If I don't feed the cravings at all, they will just get worse and worse until I do something stupid like buying a whole gallon of ice cream. In any case we went to lunch Saturday and I split a small eclair with DH. Sunday I had a couple tiny cookies. At the grocery I bought some canned fruit so I am planning on using that as "dessert" if I feel the need during the week. Weight is down to 140.8 this morning!

So that's the good news. Bad news is my ankle has been hurting a lot. I am trying to decide if I should ask my new doc to specifically examine it when I go in a couple weeks or if I should just assume it is the same thing that makes my knees and wrists hurt. I didn't twist it or injure it or anything, and it is the same kind of pain as I have in my knees. Blah, I hope it magically gets better. I'm seeing a new doc on Jan 29th so hopefully I will like her and she will help me get things sorted out.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

:hugs: to Jessica, Allison, Megan, Lily, Kery, and anyone else I might have missed - thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words

Allison - PS I Love You and Sweeney Todd are both on my list of movies to see. When I was younger, I used to also hate movies with singing in them (I thought they were lame/dorky/dumb/stupid), but now I have quite an appreciation for musicals. I think it all started when I got involved with theatre in my teens.

Kery, yup - grapefruit, eggs, tomatoes, tuna, bananas... uh huh that's the "Mayo Clinic" diet - good that your 13 year old self laughed it off - my (at the time) 20-year-old overweight self seriously considered trying it! And I, too, owe it all to 3FC for correcting my MANY weight loss misconceptions. I initially found this forum while researching the Fat Smash Diet (I bought the book and everything - I was inspired by Celebrity Fit Club) and began my weight loss journey the day I joined 3FC. I didn't end up doing Fat Smash, but that's another story

Jelly - 50 miles! WAHOO, you go girl! It IS definitely harder to lose weight once you are close to goal - for me, the last 5-10 pounds were a total pain in the rear to get rid of, and I started doing a more maintenance-like method to get rid of them. Eventually, they came off, but it was a slow process.

Lily - Shane doesn't eat candy?! WOW! Sounds like he inherited healthy habits from you And Gary does sound like a weird man, indeed... but I guess that's why you and him are no longer, eh?

Meg and Baffled,
I hope both of you are able to get rid of your colds soon!

Megan and Jessica - both of you asked some very good questions. I think it's just that I'm so self conscious about how I look... I mean, I'm not self conscious in an everyday setting, but when it comes to trying out for a movie or a photo shoot, the heat is on a lot higher. I was rarely ever self conscious before being overweight... I just went and did it... but that was a different time. I also do not have the time to devote to casting calls - I'd have to drive 2+ hours to get to any and I don't have the money for that. When I was younger, I went to plenty because I had a whole lot less to lose. I was also WAY more naive back then and therefore a whole lot more fearless. Now, I'm a little bit jaded.

I guess I'm afraid to put myself out there all the way until I'm a little happier with the way I look. Heck, I have a photo shoot pending as soon as I'm ready to do it, but this stupid little part of me keeps telling me I'm not ready until I have a nice set of abs. I think I still look like someone who needs to lose weight, even though my stomach is now practically concave (I can see ribs and hips, strangely enough - the GF keeps poking them and counting them because she doesn't particularily care for their presence )... I'm just a messed up individual, I suppose.

On a more positive note, I've started getting out some old scripts I was once working on and I have someone who wants to join a band with me. And on a more HUMOROUS note, I got invited to be an... err... adult dancer at a local club. I turned it down, of course, but the invitation was sort of flattering in some twisted way. I don't think I'd ever do it, though I could definitely use the money. I think about how broke I am and how expensive life is and it really gets me down until I remember that I'm actually doing pretty well for a 21-year-old in a town with a crappy economy. I have no idea why, but I often feel so much older than I actually am, and sometimes I need to bring myself back to reality - I'm only 21 and unless I get into some sort of freak accident, I have a whole lot more life to live!

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 01-14-2008 at 02:09 PM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #28  
lilybelle

Megan, LOL, I didn't mention the shooting the fish here that the Rednecks do cause I didnt think anyone else would know what I was talking about. Glad you understand Rednecks too, LOL. Of course around here a lot of them just use small explosives, throw it in the water, wait for the fish to float to the top and grab em. Much easier than a pole and hook, LOL.

Shane I wish I could say my DS got his dislike of candy from me. But, I could eat a ton of anything that's chocolate (if I didn't mind being fat that is). Yes, Gary is a weird man. My MIL did say that those WWII Russian Brass Buttons are probably worth some Moolah. Last yr. Shanes dad got him authentic German Army Uniform and an authentic Switzerland Army uniform. I know he must buy this stuff on-line!

I had to laugh at you being offered an "adult dancer" job. LOL, I had that offer myself once some, errrrrr, 26 yrs. ago. Like you, I didn't take em up on it, but it was kinda flattering, LOL. Now that I've lost my weight, they might let me sweep the floors in a strip club, but that's about it, LOL.

I have to laugh at all the diet gimmicks. One time I had heard that if you drink a glass of grapefruit juice before each meal that you can eat anything you want and still lose weight. I gave it a try, LOL, and it didn't work for me.

Last edited by lilybelle; 01-14-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #29  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Ugh! I stepped on the scale today and it was 4 pounds over my ticket weight - must be those Mojitos catching up to me.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #30  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Wow, I feel like the new kid in class! How do you guys keep up with it all? LOL!

I'm feeling good in the respect that I finally feel like I'm back in control and my eating is on plan. The holidays helped me gain a couple pounds, but I'm sure it was way less than half of what I would've gained in my past life, and the splurges were still somewhat controlled. It feels good knowing that I'm in control of things again.

The weekend WW meeting with my MIL went ok, if I allow myself to get past the issue of MIL gushing all over me at the meeting, when she hasn't had a good word to say about the weight loss since day one. I need to accept that she does things to be in the spotlight, and by making a big deal over me at the meeting, people were paying attention to her. Funny thing is, unless it was someone new, they all already knew my story, so the jokes on her! I do want her to succeed, again, I just don't want it to interfere with my life in the meantime. Geez I sound witchy.....20+ years of experience with her has left me tainted I guess!

Shane, first of all, glad you got a helmet! Second, I used to think that if I lost weight the world would fall into the proper rotation and my life would be perfect. It's not, but I've found that the happier I am with my body (and it's by no means perfect) the better equipt I am to handle the other challenges and disappointments!

Jelly, WOO HOO!! I'm doing the happy dance for you 1 pound loss! Maybe changing things up a bit and alternating between the running and the wt will shake things up, and shake a couple pounds loose! Good luck!

Kery, I think we probably all owe 3FC a big thank you for keeping us well informed with accurate info and keeping us motivated to go on. I know I wouldn't be here in the maintainer's forum if I hadn't been in the 100lb club for the last year! I couldn't have done it without all the great people here!

Lily, hope your daughter is feeling better, and that your son handles his crazy father ok! Some people just make you shake your head and wonder....! Being on plan makes it all easier to handle, though, doesn't it?

Pat, I read your post twice....I don't know how you do it! Since I lost weight I'm cold ALL THE TIME, I'd freeze to death where you are!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote