Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat - September 24 - 30

Is there any better way to start the day than with a purring cat on your lap and a mug of coffee? Of course, said cat is now walking all over the keyboard, so if you see a row of xxxxxxxxx, that's why!

DD's wedding invitations get mailed today and the wedding is just two months away, so we need to get organized for the final countdown. Jessica, you're on the home stretch! We know how busy you are, so don't worry about checking in -- just know we're all thinking of you and can't wait for photos.

I had one of those horrible eating days yesterday where I was hungry all day and ate way too much of the wrong stuff. Good thing that today's a new day. Sometimes those days just come out of the blue and I can't figure out why -- somedays it's easy and somedays it's so, so hard.

to all and if you have a minute, stick your head in and let us know how you're doing.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:01 AM   #2  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Good morning, everyone!

Had a fun weekend, but up and down in terms of health/fitness. On the plus side, I did manage a chest workout on Sat, an hour's bike ride on Sun, and an on-plan day in the food department on Sun. On the minus side, we went over to a friend's place for dinner on Saturday and I overdid it a bit on the, what else, beer. Scale seems to be holding steady at 135, though, so I shan't complain.

Off to make some coffee, roust The Boy, get him off to school, and head to the gym for leg day. Whoohooo! Yippee! (I'm trying to get myself excited, here. So far, it isn't working)...

Have a lovely morning, maintainers!

Kim

Last edited by kaw; 09-24-2007 at 06:01 AM.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #3  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Yay, a new thread to post in... before I get lost again in less than two days among all the new posts. How is everyone? Having a great week start?

Eating has been going great for me in the past three days, after the hard times I had last week. Moreover, I again had an opportunity to binge on cookies at friends' on Saturday, but I asked for a banana instead (yeah, I know, that might be seen as rude, but meh...). Exercise on the other hand has been less great, I've hurt my ankle while biking (don't ask, my foot slipped on the pedal and all my body weight went on the ankle >.< nicely aggravated by stupidly sitting on it all afternoon long, because I just can't sit like everyone else); after that I didn't dare jogging in case it'd make it worse. So I'm stuck walking, and biking to work and school, at least.

But this is a new week, classes have started again, so I'll see how it goes, and I'm currently taking advantage of being all pumped up and less worried about food again. Whee. ^^
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:58 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning maintainers.

Well I successfully maintained this past week. Which I guess is kinda good, but I WAS trying to lose a lb or so perhaps. That kinda flew out the window as my evenings have not been fantastic. Not terrible, but not fantastic.

Meg, having your daughter getting married must be SO exciting, stressful, I'm sure, but certainly exciting. And yes, thank goodness for new days. Sometimes, thank goodness for new weeks.

Kaw, I'm glad you had a good weekend, as was able to maintain while doing so.

Kery, way to go on resisting at your friends house. And I don't think it was rude at all to ask for some fruit. GOOD FOR YOU. Sorry to hear about your ankle, I hope it heals quickly. Glad to hear your constant food thoughts are at bay - at least for now. That's such a great relief. I'm waiting for that to kick in for me.

Hope you all have a great day.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-24-2007 at 07:00 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:05 AM   #5  
Meg

Robin, my friend, try to think of it this way: maintenance is a victory, not a consolation prize for not losing weight. I know it's hard to get out of that "lose weight" mindset, but we can't lose forever, you know? Sometimes maintenance is the very best that we can do.

Kery, I agree that you shouldn't think twice about asking for fruit. It's not rude at all and I'm sure your friends didn't think so either. I'm so glad your eating has gotten back on track -- mine is too today. I'm going to tell myself: if Kery can do it, so can I!

Hi Kim! Leg Day IS exciting! And think how lovely and sore your legs will be tomorrow. Do some lunges for Baffled -- those are her absolute favorites.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #6  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Robin - I agree with Meg, maintaining is a victory in itself--anything but gaining back weight/inches probably is a victory. Who knows, you may lose that pound next week, then.

Meg - Ah, that won't do, *I* wanted to tell myself "if Meg can do it, so can I"...
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #7  
Meg

OK, how about "we can all do it, together!"
Old 09-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Ah, 5:41 am and we're up to 6 posts! Wonderful.

DD is completely better, and last week wasn't so terrible except that we were both stuck in the house. DH got back Thursday. Saturday was the big birthday party, DD is 2 today (!!), and we had a thing at Build-a-Bear followed by a romp in the toddler mosh pit at the mall, and then some cupcakes. I think most of the kids had a good time and DD had only one major tantrum. I ate only one cupcake.

I did kind of a stupid thing when I couldn't get out and decided to get some strength training in. Now I haven't had any proper strength training in, let's just say, a long long time. So I did a couple sets of pushups and a set of lunges, body weight only, 10 on each leg. I have been so sore from that I could barely walk, and just now today (5 days later) is it down to a dull roar where I can be sort of functional. Completely blew my planned bike and runs for the weekend. Next time I'm trapped I'm going to start with 2 lunges on each leg and just go grab a step and bounce around.

OK, coffee's done, so I'm going to load up and then slink over to the accountability thread. Eating has been off.

Anne

Last edited by AnneWonders; 09-24-2007 at 08:51 AM.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning!

Kery ... I sit funny too. My feet just don't want to be on the floor like other folks'.

A throw back to the last thread ... Lily, I love Academy Sports! About twice a year we go. I get two pairs of running shoes and at least one pair of jeans. DH gets Columbia shorts for next to nothing!

It is hard Ennay. My most frequent thought is that if I was trying to lose another few pounds ... well at least I know how to do that. And the way life goes with parties and occassions etc ... it is turning out like that anyway.
The battle of the 3 pounds.
Maybe that's what maintaining will be for me. The battle of the 3 pounds ... with diminishingly agressive nouns ... battle, bother, annoyance ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Meg and kery--maintenance is the victory we've been looking for!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Anne - ooofda - so sorry. I thought I would be sore after my workout last friday but I wasnt.

Morning all, off to the gym after I take dd to school. My gym visits are short right now, but at least they are more frequent.

5K's are bad for me, I was every bit as hungry after my 5K as I was after my 1/2 marathon. Hmmmm.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Good morning! I had a decent weekend:

I went on a 30-mile bike ride yesterday (not going to attempt those 54 until there is NO RAIN IN SIGHT!) then I met up with some old friends, which was quite an ego boost! The last time they saw me, I was at my highest weight, and one of them said some not-so-nice things about it behind my back - things like, "WOW! Aidyn BLEW UP!" Now, that same friend dropped her jaw when she saw me and said, "WHOA! you look so HOT and FIT! Your stomach looks AWESOME!" that last part floored me because my stomach is my biggest insecurity. Maybe I don't look like Krispy Kreme afterall!

Meg, I had one of those horrible eating days yesterday, too. I just couldn't stop... I kept getting hungry, and even when I wasn't hungry, the food was just... there. Oh well, today we can do better. Congrats on your daughter's wedding - wedding planning is hectic, or so I've observed. A good friend of mine has been planning her wedding for the last few months and I'm wondering, "WHEN will it ever END?" Geeze, it almost makes me DREAD getting married!!

rockinrobin, I feel you on wanting to lose more weight. Even though I'm not at my official goal yet, my weight loss has definitely slowed down. I don't know how long these next 10 pounds will take, but they're quite brutal. And I'm pretty sure that once I DO lose these 10 pounds, I will want to lose 10 more. How much more weight do you want to lose?

Kery, there's nothing rude about asking for a banana instead - why should you be obligated to eat cookies, anyway? That's AWESOME that you turned down the binge opportunity... you are stronger than I would have been!

Maintenance is the victory... that I will feel like I accomplished once I'm actually at goal.
HOWEVER, as I've mentioned before, it kind of feels like I'm maintaining right now because I've lost most of my weight, can fit into most of my old "thin clothes", and the weight loss has slowed down dramatically.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Morning everyone,
I hope everyone had a good weekend. I was on plan as far as my workouts go but off plan a bit (as usual) on Sat & Sun. Sat invovled a trip to Sweet Tomatoes. Boy, the food is healthy, but it's so hard to control portions when you can keep going back for more. Sun was fine until my DH came home from the Bronco game with his uneaten nuts. After dinner, I swooped in and polished them off. Now I feel fat and bloated and didn't even get on the scale because i know it will be up from the extra eating and salt and such. I get super discouraged when the scale registers a gain and that makes me want to overeat more so sometimes I avoid it entirely until I get my eating back under control and know the scale will be back down. It's so wierd because I am the queen of denial and not weighing myself was how I got up to 190 to begin with. So I feel like I'm doing the wrong thing when I avoid the scale but then sometimes not getting on helps my mindset...

Gary, I have never been to the general chatter thread. In fact, I didn't even know it existed until you just now mentioned it. That's how I didn't know you were a b-ball fan. Sorry about that! Did you see the Rockies swept the Padres this weekend? How cool is that? Almost makes up for the Bronco's dismal showing against the Jags. Your Raiders did pretty well, no?

Kery, no it is not rude at all to ask for fruit. You know, I don't care anymore if I piss people off if I don't eat what they're offering, and eating something else. This is going to sound kind of childish on my part, but part of the reason is that no one worries about hurting my feelings by saying stuff to me when I refuse food, or when I'm eating heatlhy stuff and they aren't. I think we just have to do what's best for us (in the nicest, politest way possible) and not worry about the rest.

Lily, picking up from last week's thread, sorry the boots were so pricey! AT least you found a great new store. It sounds a little like Sports Authority, which is where I go here in Colorado. It's so hard not to spend a fortune. I rationalize the expense because having new workout clothes makes it so much more fun to workout!

Have a good day everyone!

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

forgot to add,
Meg, I'm sure you will be back on track today. I'm not sure why some days are just so darn hard... Did you work out harder than usual, were you more tired than usual, stressed? I do know that when I hurt my knee a few months ago and couldn't work out like I usually do, I wasn't nearly as hungry. It was a nice feeling for a change...
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #15  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

It's been over a week since I've logged on to the forum so I've missed a lot.

On Monday, I drove the 2 hours from our apartment to Fairfield, CT to meet my brand new nephew William Henry. For those of you who go gagga over baby pictures here are his from the hospital.

http://www.babyhomepages.net/babythrasher/index.php

My Mom was still up from Florida helping my brother and his wife adjust to having a newborn in the house. She's thrilled to FINALLY be a grandmother.

We went swing dancing on Tuesday even though DH had an unset collarbone. He wanted to because he felt he couldn't make it any worse. I hadn't been out dancing since the middle of August and really enjoyed it.

DH had his surgery on Wednesday at a hospital in NYC. They did a great job and gave him much better care than the hospital he went to when he first broke it and the 2 ribs. He stayed overnight and I brought him first back to the apartment on Thursday and then down to the house.

We spent a very quiet weekend at home. Haven't done that in nine months.
I drove us back up to the apartment on Sunday night and I plan to stay over until Tuesday. I'm scheduled to go to my first book club tomorrow night back at home. We'll be discussing the Memory Keeper's Daughter. Then on Wednesday, I might go swing dancing and Thursday or Friday go back up to the apartment so I can drive DH home on Friday night. He thinks he'll be ready to drive by this weekend, but I don't want him to put any stress on the collarbone and plate and New Jersey has a lot of toll booths he'll have to go through from the beach where our other car has been sitting to the apartment.

My weight has still be up slightly over my goal. Been trying to eat my yogurt and salad routine to bring it back down to my secret wish goal. Usually when I bounce between 105 and 110 I can't feel any difference in my body. But this time, I feel it all in my tummy. Got a little bulge and my clothes are just a tad snugger.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote